Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tommy Emmanuel  (Read 9551 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »

Hey guys, what do you think of Tommy Emmanuel? Highly recommended stuff!!!

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:02:58 AM »

Tommy E is great.  Another of the artists I only discovered through this forum actually - I owe a lot to this place!  He is so good, however, that he tends to make me feel slightly demoralised about my own abilities.  There is something to be said for listening to music that you aspire to be able to play like.

On other days, however, I am in the mood to be blown away, and listen to the likes of Tommy Emmanuel, and Eric Roche as another artist who just amazes me.  That guy just devoted his whole (unnecessarily short) life to the acoustic guitar!  If you haven't heard him, check him out.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 11:13:54 AM »

Tommy E is great.  Another of the artists I only discovered through this forum actually - I owe a lot to this place!  He is so good, however, that he tends to make me feel slightly demoralised about my own abilities.  There is something to be said for listening to music that you aspire to be able to play like.

On other days, however, I am in the mood to be blown away, and listen to the likes of Tommy Emmanuel, and Eric Roche as another artist who just amazes me.  That guy just devoted his whole (unnecessarily short) life to the acoustic guitar!  If you haven't heard him, check him out.
Thanx Ben, will sure do!

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 11:26:05 AM »

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5rQVuyZNQ18

there isn't much of him on youtube, but this is good enough to show you his style. 

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »

I've seen Tommy many times over the years, and as much as I hate to say it, I think he's losing his touch.  The last couple of shows I've seen were really sloppy and he just doesn't seem to be into it like he once was.  I'm not sure if it's personal troubles, too much traveling, or what, but he's not the same musician he was 4 or 5 years ago.  This isn't a slam on Tommy by any stretch either.  I genuinely hate to see it happen.  I think he needs a break or some new direction.  I wish him well and will still support him, no matter what. 
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »

I've seen Tommy many times over the years, and as much as I hate to say it, I think he's losing his touch.  The last couple of shows I've seen were really sloppy and he just doesn't seem to be into it like he once was.  I'm not sure if it's personal troubles, too much traveling, or what, but he's not the same musician he was 4 or 5 years ago.  This isn't a slam on Tommy by any stretch either.  I genuinely hate to see it happen.  I think he needs a break or some new direction.  I wish him well and will still support him, no matter what. 
Have you seen Tommy this year?  He had a breakdown of sorts around the end of 2007 and canceled shows for a few months (heart trouble or alcohol... I've heard both reasons).  I saw him in May this year and he seemed to be back in form.  I'd only seen him once before though, so I might not have much 'standard of comparison' on him.

Dave

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »

Saw him about 2 months ago
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:21:47 AM »

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5rQVuyZNQ18

there isn't much of him on youtube, but this is good enough to show you his style. 

Awesome Ben  +1 , Thanks so much, I love that video. How's the sound of that Lowden hey? Gee - that guitar is responsive, and it rings like a bell!!! It is "wired"  up to the brim though - 3 leads plugged in. Surely at least a "sound board transducer" for the percussive taps and everything else in addition as well.
Boy, I think I could very well add a Lowden or any of the other "renowned Irish guits" in my wish list.

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »

Going to a Tommy E show without a clue as to who he was really opened my eyes and ears. Made me really decide to pursue lessons and raise my standard for myself. I love his music and his playing -

That said, I have now been to 3 of his shows, and other than one or two songs, they are pretty much all the same, too amped up, and more playing to impress than playing for finesse. I would recommend anyone who has not seen him live go, but I'm gonna wait til he's got a new set together -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
gkella

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:30:37 AM »

I just purchased Tommy's Centre Stage DVD.
It is awesome.
His playing and performing is top notch.
The DVD itself sounds amazing.
Check it out.

Glen
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 03:11:33 PM »

I just don't appreciate all that manic activity. He comes across as a circus clown to me.  There's something unhinged about him.

If it sounds good, it is good.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 04:03:46 PM »

I just don't appreciate all that manic activity. He comes across as a circus clown to me. Does he have an alcohol problem? There's something unhinged about him.

Bearsville0
You and I are probably in the minority.  Most people just rave about his skills.  While I admit that he is very adept at getting every conceiveable sound from a guitar I prefer a little bit of nuance rather than showmanship and manic banging, slapping, and furious fretwork.   He is great at what he does but a little bit of that goes a long way for me.    Sorry to all the T.E. fans.   I like him in very small doses.

Tuffythepug
Jeff

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »

I like him in very small doses.

Tuffythepug

Hate to say it, but I have to agree.  I know he has lots of fans here, but I find him to be a bit too frenetic as well. 

Jeff

OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 06:23:53 AM »

"show man", "circus clown", even "alcohol problem" - I'd gladly take those "compliments" just to be able to play like that, I guess JCL agrees....

[attachment deleted by admin]

strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 01:06:07 PM »

Oh, well, if JCL agrees...

Where do you guys get these pics? There's not some creepy JCL shrine somewhere is there? Other than the occasional thread that gets a little carried away.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 02:19:54 PM »

Well Zohn, you did ask!! You can't expect everyone to drool. 

You really wouldn't want those compliments if it meant they were packaged with an alcohol problem. The guy may play a mile a minute but somewhere important in his life I suspect he's running on empty. All that fiery fretwork just creates a smokescreen to hide something he doesn't feel so good about. I hope he's calmed down and gotten well since those YouTube videos were made.

watch this and tell me he's not a circus clown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo&feature=PlayList&p=EFCFE21B4C4693AD&playnext=1&index=1

hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »

I just don't appreciate all that manic activity. He comes across as a circus clown to me.  There's something unhinged about him.

Do you mean Roche or TE? The only Emmanuel I've heard is from three Youtube videos. He was not manic and his style in those tunes was rather traditional lyrical.

L-03 Italian Spruce
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »

Do you mean Roche or TE? The only Emmanuel I've heard is from three Youtube videos and he was not manic and his style in those tunes were rather traditional lyrical.

TE, see the above post.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »

Well Zohn, you did ask!! You can't expect everyone to drool. 

I appreciate your opinion, thanks  +1

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 02:44:52 PM »

Oh, well, if JCL agrees...
Where do you guys get these pics? There's not some creepy JCL shrine somewhere is there? Other than the occasional thread that gets a little carried away.
holly
Not too sure who gets carried away here - The photo is from the Larrivee web-site, one of the 2008 guitar shows - NAAM'08 I think.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: