L03 Bubinga

Started by Zohn, December 09, 2008, 07:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Check this beauty out in Bubinga (African Rosewood) http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/larrl03bubinga.jpg
We actually have this wood commercially available at home for Skirting-boards, flooring products and general carpentry. Has anyone got one of these, and what do they sound like?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Lawn Jockey on December 09, 2008, 09:38:07 AM
Beautiful.

After speaking with the folks at Spruce Tree Music over the weekend all I can say is that I won't be calling them back any more.  I've never spoken with someone as rude......and he absolutely put down some other Larrivee dealers who I know, trust, and have bought many instruments from.

Spruce Tree Music is now on my official "Do Not Call" list.   :thumb
I certainly can't vouch for that, I don't deal with them - I stay in Africa!! I just happened to come across that picture after a search on the web. I agree that I can't stand rude and ignorant dealers, in fact, I don't understand why does someone like that do business with the public, if their very source of income is the public. I don't support such dealers (or people in general) myself.
It is however a very nice guitar, and I'd like to know more about it - I guess it is a limited run like the kaya mahogany and Australian blackwood??
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on December 09, 2008, 11:21:10 AM
- I stay in Africa!!
Zorn,  You cannot leave it at that! Are you living in Africa? From Africa? Visiting? What is the story here? I have been to Africa twice and my son is moving back for another year to work at the Jane Goodall institute in Tanzania.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

I think Zohn has indicated in a previous thread that he resides in Pretoria South Africa

Quote from: Zohn on December 09, 2008, 07:33:10 AM
Check this beauty out in Bubinga (African Rosewood) http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/larrl03bubinga.jpg
We actually have this wood commercially available at home for Skirting-boards, flooring products and general carpentry. Has anyone got one of these, and what do they sound like?

Pretty wood. I wonder if it's sound is any different than the L-03R's. Don't the L-03R's have EIR?

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Next time I go to Spruce Tree (70 miles from me) I'll give it a test drive and report back.  As for the salesperson, I'm guessing it may have been a "bad day".  My prior experiences have not been so negative.  But trust me, he's never been a "schmoozer"...
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 09, 2008, 04:41:48 PM
I think Zohn has indicated in a previous thread that he resides in Pretoria South Africa
Indeed Jim, I stay in Pretoria. - thanks Tuffy.

Quote from: Lawn Jockey on December 09, 2008, 01:00:07 PM
Zohn, I totally agree....and meant nothing by my post other than to alert others who may call to inquire about an item.  Maybe the guy was having a bad day......if that's the case.....it's OK.....everybody does.  He just shouldn't talk on the phone on those days. 

I love the look of the Bubinga.....and it wasn't long ago I also saw an L-03 in Quilted Sapele that was uber-drool worthy.

:whistling:
Talk about Quilted Sapele ? Have a look at this one!!!! (click on "images" for the front view as well)  http://www.guitaradoptions.com/store/product.php?productid=18441&cat=0&page=1

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hmm,I came acroos one of these beauties in my recent travels,which led to some new guitars.I did not try it,but now knowing the source of the original post,and his awareness and good sense,I'm kinda' sorry I did not give it a little play time :guitar

I played a Bubinga guitar from another maker and liked it a lot. Very striking reddish color.

Certainly a wider variety of tonewoods these days, which makes things more interesting.
L-03 Italian Spruce

I hear they sound like somewhere between rw and hog..
Jeffrey

Wo!! My wish for Christmas......'a 'Bubinga' and a 'Quilted Sapele', Lav, in a C, that'll be my best gift from Santa. I most certainly will believe in Santa again.
Cheers
Fongie :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance

Waterfall Bubinga is some of the coolest looking wood.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on December 12, 2008, 04:34:25 PM
Waterfall Bubinga is some of the coolest looking wood.

looks like red hair..
Jeffrey

Yes, very Rapunzel. Amazing.  :thumb
L-03 Italian Spruce

I was at Spruce Tree the other day and played a D03 Bubinga.  It was very nice.  I'm no tonewood expert, but I'd say it was like cherry (for those of you familiar with Seagulls and Art&Lutheries), bright but maybe a tad mellower than silver oak or maple.  This particular one was setup with very low action and was a dream to noodle around on.  I'm not experienced with koa, but maybe it's along those lines.  A good looking guitar also.  I liked the unfinished wood (looking through the soundhole) as well...

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Love those ivoroid knobs - Wish they were available separately -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -