Which string breaks more often?

Started by Zohn, November 30, 2008, 11:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a Most intriguing phenomenon, during a gig last evening, my "D" string broke at the saddle, and that was a first for me  :wacko:. Usually the "G", and then the "B" (in that order). The point of contact on the saddle wasn't particularly worn or sharp. I have to add though that at the time we did sound checks, the temperature was 35 Degrees Centigrade (95 deg F), and everybody's guitars needed several re-tunes before we started. The breakage only happened later though ( approx 28 deg C) Any comments from the forum?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I would not worry too much about it unless you consistantly suffer a break at the saddle.
You may have had a faulty string. String breaks at the tuner are usually from tuning. A saddle break may be the sign of a bridge/saddle issue.
I had several Elixr's "G" break while playing all at the saddle, but on 3 diiferent guitars. I came to conclusion it was a manufacturing issue.
If you search the forum for breaking strings you will see I was not the only one who had Elixr issues.
I might add their customer service was great as they replaced all the broken strings and thru in a complete set for the inconvenience after I emailed them.

Good Luck....
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

The most broken string is always the G string. the reason is that the center wire is the smallest core of the set, it is smaller than the B string. the windings  don't give it any more strength just more mass. flathead
Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )

Is it not also the highest tension of all the strings in std tuning.  The D'addario packet used to state the tensions on the back, and it was greater than the others.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

none, really..
:guitar

The only time I break strings is when they are poor quality or there is something wrong with the guitar. This probably is because I don't use picks and play with a light touch. When I had a bad run of strings I would break a string every week or so, very frustrating. For a while seemed like it was the guitar and I switched to another one. The other guitar had the same problem so I switched string brands and now everything is fine. It could have just been a bad run because I hear that nearly all the guitar brands get them from the same factories anyway.
     When I played electric guitars there was no rime or reason, it seemed like they all broke at one time or another.

Just my take on the string sit, hope it helps....

Radkin

Quote from: radkin on December 07, 2008, 10:45:47 AM
none, really..
:guitar

When I had a bad run of strings I would break a string every week or so, very frustrating. For a while seemed like it was the guitar and I switched to another one. The other guitar had the same problem so I switched string brands and now everything is fine. It could have just been a bad run because I hear that nearly all the guitar brands get them from the same factories anyway.
     When I played electric guitars there was no rime or reason, it seemed like they all broke at one time or another.

Just my take on the string sit, hope it helps....

Radkin
I  can testify to the frustration  :yak:. What is most peculiar though, is it only happened in the last 3 weeks or so and with 2 different guitars using the same strings on all 4 of them (the other being my daughters G2000 Walden). I have been using Elixers all along, but replaced the set on my LV10 with D'Addario EXP's which I love so far because they dont "feel" coated. Maybe it's the "global warming thing"  :humour: 
BTW, any takes on the new coated series from Ernie Ball from anyone?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure