Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All hogs - please explain  (Read 682 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2008, 08:41:24 AM »

After seeing the magnificent All-hog Jimmy Buffet 000-JBS on the Martin web-site, that guitar is a real "looker", could somebody please explain what makes these guitars unique from their Sitka over hog equivalents. Are they brighter guitars, and what qualities are they primarily sought after for? It seems people use them for blues, although specific body size must surely play a role as well 

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=i&m=000-JBS%20(Jimmy%20Buffett-Shellbacknice guitar

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »

They're definitely not brighter. They're darker with less sustain and a woodier drier sound. The reason people use small bodies for blues is because you don't get a big ringing bass and because that's what was used in the early recordings.

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »

Although I disagree with the less sustain part, the sound description is good. But its more than just that, and when put together right, they are wonderful.

You're just gonna have to play one - no other way to know.

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »

Hogtops are awesome!  The tone has quicker decay than a spruce top.  Folks like it for blues because those type of songs typically sound better on acoustic if there isn't the notes aren't running on top of each other as much.  The tone is unique.  A good hogtop or saptop sounds awesome.  I think people either immediately love them or hate them when they play one.  I play 2 of em'.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 06:06:21 PM »

After seeing the magnificent All-hog Jimmy Buffet 000-JBS on the Martin web-site, that guitar is a real "looker", could somebody please explain what makes these guitars unique from their Sitka over hog equivalents. Are they brighter guitars, and what qualities are they primarily sought after for? It seems people use them for blues, although specific body size must surely play a role as well 

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=i&m=000-JBS%20(Jimmy%20Buffett-Shellbacknice guitar

Check out this one  - Tuffy, too bad its not a lefty  http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/images28000-28999/ngb28931-larriveeom05mt/index.html

Jeremy, this is the one I compared with the 2004 03 model "Sapele/mahogany" thread, and from which I "assumed" the 03 was stained. You don't blame me for being mistaken do ya?  blush

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »

Zohn
I saw that OM-05MT at Buff. Bros. earlier.    Very nice.   It's gonna make someone very happy some day.

Tuffythepug
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:18:27 PM »

Jeremy, this is the one I compared with the 2004 03 model "Sapele/mahogany" thread, and from which I "assumed" the 03 was stained. You don't blame me for being mistaken do ya?  blush

Yes I do. Just so you know, I keep a little notebook and this is going in it.

Some mahogany is lighter than others. That OM-05MT doesn't look bad but I prefer darker mahogany. I think it's kind of funny that the cost saving measure of not staining the wood has successfully been marketed as a superior feature.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: