Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Lauderdale  (Read 537 times)
BlastersFan55

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:04:19 AM »

Any fans out there? 

Here's a guy who has written some hit country songs for many big names, and he's finally breaking through for himself.

But, he ain't exactly country, if you get my drift.  Maybe a little bit alt-country - whatever that is?
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:42:20 PM »

I really like Jim's music. His album The Bluegrass Diaries is a piece of acoustic music genius.  Check out his performance on Woodsongs sometime as well.  He's playing his old sunburst Collings dread solo.  That's the best-sounding guitar I've ever heard.  Period.  Jim is the real deal. 
pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 05:15:39 AM »

I'm there...got into him via the whole Gram Parsons Project (NOT Alan...get it? bigrin)  Emmy Lou did that awesome tribute to Gram several years ago--even though he's not on the CD, he was part of the video aftermath (Sessions on 54th maybe?).  I typically despise tribute CDs, but that one amazing (Cowboy Junkies' version of Viva Las Vegas is outta this world).  Anyway, I don't have any of his stuff, so I'm following Creature's lead and going out for Bluegrass Diaries tomorrow!

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 06:25:37 AM »

Yeah penner, the Gram tribute was the old PBS Soundstage show.  I remember he came out and did a great "Wheels" with Chris Hillman.  Then I wondered, "who is this guy?" Turns out he's a real "chameleon," which I mean as a real compliment.

My favorite CD's are Persimmons, The Hummingbirds & Wait Til Spring. I would love to see him live some day.  I understand he's a pretty entertaining guy.  He also has a very good new album out via his website - another bluegrass CD.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: