Circuit Breaker Instrument Cables

Started by Zohn, December 07, 2008, 11:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Guys
I've come across these cables on a web-site, and from the application (see quote below taken from that site) it seems like a very useful solution to a most common problem experienced by everyone who's played on stage and especially sound engineers. Any comments?

"Circuit Breaker cables have a built-in mute switch to save your equipment from loud pops and squeals when you change guitars with a live amp. When the button is pushed, the cable shorts while remaining plugged into your guitar, making on-stage guitar changes a snap. Once the cable is shorted, remove the cable from the guitar being used and plug the cable into the next instrument. Press the button again to re-activate the cable signal."

[attachment deleted by admin]
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

They sound like a great idea but when I asked about them at two guitar shops (both shops carried these) they discouraged me from using them because they felt they were un-reliable and prone to internal wiring problems.    That's not from any personal experience;  But that's what they had heard.   The idea is fantastic though.  I didn't want to spend that kind of money on something that would crap out on me at a critical time.

Tuffythepug

You can purchase non-pop cables ends. They are sleeved and when pulled the sleeve rides up and prevents full contact as you unplug. As you push it back in, it rides down making full contact again. I've been using them for about 3 years now and they actually work. I ordered mine with Mogami cables. And, if you are looking for a really superior cable, check out Mogami. Arguably one of the best cables currently made.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Just looked up what I have. They are Neutrik NP2XB Straight & NP2RX-AU-Silent Right Angle plugs. The straight end is what would go to your pedal board/amp/di box. The Silent Right Angle Plug is the instrument side.

I found a guy on ebay selling similar ones, but these are not the ones that I have. Mine are probably just older. But, he has some good pics and a break out of how the Silent Plug works...
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOGAMI-SILENT-GUITAR-CABLE-no-clicks-or-pops-anymore_W0QQitemZ200283113535
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: Dale_I on December 08, 2008, 01:37:03 AM
Just looked up what I have. They are Neutrik NP2XB Straight & NP2RX-AU-Silent Right Angle plugs. The straight end is what would go to your pedal board/amp/di box. The Silent Right Angle Plug is the instrument side.

I found a guy on ebay selling similar ones, but these are not the ones that I have. Mine are probably just older. But, he has some good pics and a break out of how the Silent Plug works...
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOGAMI-SILENT-GUITAR-CABLE-no-clicks-or-pops-anymore_W0QQitemZ200283113535
Thanks Bro - now that seems to be the answer - just need to find a supplier now... :thumb
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I have had the very cable you show since August. Not very long in other words, but it works very well. I switch between my 6 & 12 string with K&Ks in them. Can't say what kind of life expectancy I'll have but I don't expect any problems. They are a bit stiffer than some of my other cords, maybe the shielding? I use 2 of them when playing out, but just one at home and switch back & forth.

Another advantage I've found with the cut off switch is with 2 of them presetting the PA/Monitor volumes, cuts and tonal balance for pickups without on-board controls can be done ahead of time without concern for where the guitar not in use is positioned, turn one off, pick up the other and click you're on, all preset & no worries about placing the 2nd guitar within reach-even in front of the monitor. Great for open mics where messing with the mix between a 6 & 12 is a time waster and rushed.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Michael T on December 08, 2008, 07:18:02 AM
I have had the very cable you show since August. Not very long in other words, but it works very well. I switch between my 6 & 12 string with K&Ks in them. Can't say what kind of life expectancy I'll have but I don't expect any problems. They are a bit stiffer than some of my other cords, maybe the shielding? I use 2 of them when playing out, but just one at home and switch back & forth.

Another advantage I've found with the cut off switch is with 2 of them presetting the PA/Monitor volumes, cuts and tonal balance for pickups without on-board controls can be done ahead of time without concern for where the guitar not in use is positioned, turn one off, pick up the other and click you're on, all preset & no worries about placing the 2nd guitar within reach-even in front of the monitor. Great for open mics where messing with the mix between a 6 & 12 is a time waster and rushed.
:thumb That sounds great Michael, thank you. How many times per week do you use them? Keep us posted on their continued performance would you?

Quote from: Michael T on December 08, 2008, 07:18:02 AM
I have had the very cable you show ...
I have one of these cables as well, and it works fine.  However I don't use it much because I tend to prefer a 90-degree angled connector rather than the straight-in plug on the 'circuit breaker' cables.  I think they might make an angled circuit breaker, but that's not the one I got

Dave

Count me as another satisfied user of the PW circuit breakers.

My only complaints (and they're quibbles) are that the on/off button is bit sensitive, and also that there should be some indicator of whether the breaker is on or off.  I've managed to confuse myself many times, especially when playing electric with a volume pedal.  (Is it on?  Is it off?  Where's my volume?)But they do work well.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I have a cable with a switch (another brand) and it works well.
I also use my floor pedal tuner which when in tuning mode sends no signal out to the board/amp/pa.
When I switch instruments I just step on the pedal, switch, check my tuning and turn the tuner off and I am back live.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Quote from: Tycho on December 09, 2008, 01:43:41 PM

My only complaints (and they're quibbles) are that the on/off button is bit sensitive, and also that there should be some indicator of whether the breaker is on or off.  I've managed to confuse myself many times, especially when playing electric with a volume pedal.  (Is it on?  Is it off?  Where's my volume?)But they do work well.
Interesting point, and very important feature lacking I'd imagine.

Quote from: Tycho on December 09, 2008, 01:43:41 PM

A fellow guitar player at our church uses one of those PW cables and apparently has the same problem. I don't know how many times he's started strumming away on the intro to a song only to have ZERO sound coming out of the PA. :ohmy: A simple LED to indicate the status of the switch would go a long way toward solving the problem.
'73 Gibson Hummingbird,'98 Ovation Std. Balladeer, '99 Martin 000-1, '00 Taylor 355, '01 Larrivee Parlor, MIM P-bass, '06 Rainsong AWS-1000