Mcintyre Or K&k Pickup

Started by mikew, August 11, 2004, 08:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello, My name is Mike, I am new to this group, and just put a
deposit on a new D-03R. The sound of this  guitar will take your breath away! Anyway I got it without a pick-up and play
in a praise band at church where at times we have high monitor sound levels. I would like to install a pickup but need to be carefull of feedback. I need a natural sound too. I have a Bagg's DI preamp to take care of EQ. I was thinking of the K & K mini with foil mount (to attenuate level), or a Mcintyre feather, this is similar - anyone have any experience with this one?
Thanks.

mikew Welcome to the forum.I can't help you with the pickup choice but I'm sure you'll get lots of info from the other's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I have an L-03. I love the beautiful warm sound of the guitar and wanted to maintain this through any pick up that I chose. I have a Fishman on my Yamaha 12 string and like it, but the price.... ouch.  So I thought I'd try the K&K based on several reviews. In short I love it. And I installed it myself which I probably wouldn't have tried with the Fishman.

I'll offer a couple of tips that I used and may be helpful to you as well. 1. to properly place the mics I used an old set of end pins (incase they got some glue on them) and inserted 2 into the center 2 holes. It is very difficult to see where you are placing the center mic, and the two pins serve as a bit of a back stop. You know you are not past the holes and you know you are centered. After the first mic is installed, move the 2 pins to the 2 outside holes (E, A) on top, then the two on the bottom (E, B) and use the pins in the same manner. 2. The second tip is get a couple pairs of rubber gloves. The don't hamper your feel as you work, and you don't have worry about gluing your finger to the inside of your axe.

I don't believe the foil is an option for Larrivees. The bridge plate is smaller and requires the use of the smaller K&K mics. I think that the foil might interfere with thier already lower output.  

I have an L-03. I love the beautiful warm sound of the guitar and wanted to maintain this through any pick up that I chose. I have a Fishman on my Yamaha 12 string and like it, but the price.... ouch.  So I thought I'd try the K&K based on several reviews. In short I love it. And I installed it myself which I probably wouldn't have tried with the Fishman.

I'll offer a couple of tips that I used and may be helpful to you as well. 1. to properly place the mics I used an old set of end pins (incase they got some glue on them) and inserted 2 into the center 2 holes. It is very difficult to see where you are placing the center mic, and the two pins serve as a bit of a back stop. You know you are not past the holes and you know you are centered. After the first mic is installed, move the 2 pins to the 2 outside holes (E, A) on top, then the two on the bottom (E, B) and use the pins in the same manner. 2. The second tip is get a couple pairs of rubber gloves. The don't hamper your feel as you work, and you don't have worry about gluing your finger to the inside of your axe.

I don't believe the foil is an option for Larrivees. The bridge plate is smaller and requires the use of the smaller K&K mics. I think that the foil might interfere with thier already lower output.  

I have the K&K Pure Western in my L-02.  Installed it myself.  Also, it's the regular sized Pure Western, not the mini.  It kinda just fit, but it did fit just fine on the bridge.  And I also used the foil.  Still gets plenty of output.  So the mini is the safe way to go, though the regular size fit on mine.  The foil still might be doable with the mini, cuz the output is supposedly the same as the regular.  At least if I remember reading right.  Anyway, yeah, this pick-up rocks.  I use it passively (cuz I don't enough money for a pre-amp), and it still sounds great in about 4 different systems that I regularly use it in.  Just a little tweak of the eq on the soundboards and it's ready to go.  I haven't had any feedback problems with our sometimes blaring stage monitors, and even though I'm using it passively, the pick-ups always got plenty of volume.  I couldn't have asked for a better set-up.  It was definitely a blessing.
L-02
D-03-12 (whoohoo!)