Gretsch Americana Now $29.99 (was $49.99)!!!

Started by Yoyodyne, December 03, 2008, 10:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I ordered one of these on Friday (the Sundown Serenade model), it was supposed to be a one-day sale but it looks like it's still going on (as of 10:30 am Central on Wednesday 12-3). I just got home and found the Gretsch box on my doorstep. Even though it's a cheapy I'm going to keep the guitar in the box for a few hours so it can warm up gradually. Yay, I got a new toy!

UPDATE: My Sundown Serenade has a crack in the neck (it's a chintzy two-piece neck, and is cracked right around the second fret). Oh well, I'm returning it for a refund.

DOUBLE UPDATE: The Sundown Serenade is now down to $29.99 shipped (as of 10:00 am Thursday December 11th)!

http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowers/Gretsch-Americana-Sundown-Serenade-Acoustic-Guitar/3141294/product.html
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

I received my "Way Out West" today. Nothing cracked thank goodness.  I am going to let it sit in my guitar room at 50%RH until tomorrow and then tweak her a bit. The little guitar has an adjustable truss rod!  The neck needs a bit of relief, but I want to let it settle for at least a full day.  I did play a couple tunes on it and it isn't a "toy" like some might think. X bracing, truss rod and enough thump to make it worth keepin' on a stand.  :thumbsup
1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Just got mine today. Nothing wrong - other than sharp frets and needing a decent setup.

Sound is surprising for a $50 guitar...very fun to play. Comfortable size and scale. Should be a great beater...worst case, wall-hanger.

Very happy I stumbled across this thread!!   :bgrin:
My Guitars:
Larrivee LV-03RE, OM-03MT, L-03WL
Northwood MJ-80
Paragon 00 (Makore)
Seagull 25th Anniv Mahog
Guild GAD-30R, GAD-30E
Epiphone AJ-500RC (12-Fret)
Walden G3030CE, G3000, G2070, N730, N550CE
Dean BW-6 Banjitar
Republic Single Cone, Tricone, Steel Parlor
Washburn R316SWRK Parlor
Walnut Banjo

2 of them shipped for $37.00? I guess I had some coupon I didn't know anything about - one will sit under the tree to keep me thinking about my forum guitar that will replace it - other is going to a buddy. We can wear matching cowboy outfits and do duets -  :humour:

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I ordered a showdown too. I'm a sucker for this crap. Mine was 28.50 delivered. Now I have to find a kid who needs a christmas gift or I'll have to keep it!

:doh
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

looks like they are sold out now....DOH

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Had to show off my new toy - Here it is with my Forum MT and my LS10 - Seems right at home, eh?

Thinking I may make a few upgrades to it - maybe new strings, saddle, tuners, wax the neck up -  I mean, for a just south of $20 guitar, it may be worth a couple hundred in upgrades, right?  After all, the box says its made of real wood - :humour:

Maybe we can get Jean to include graphics on the next Forum guitar  -  Sorry for lousy pics, just used my cell phone -

Tad

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mine came about an hour ago...I may leave it in the box to enhance the collector value.

:roll
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I ordered 2 Serenade models. Like a honey burst color. One came yesterday and one today. Both $29 shipped. That is just stupid cheap for any guitar. I think its a nice guitar! Its not bad... I'm gonna put a bone or Tusq saddle and some PB lights on it. I think it will be a different guitar after that. I was pretty excited when I pulled it out of the box.... Not bad at all! A little buzzing, but nothing I can't fix. Great tone for a ply wood parlor.. Lots of fun for $29 shipped. Now they are all gone. Too bad for those that missed out.. As of lately, I have had a thing for cheap guitars. Next guitar will be a Epi Masterbilt. A huge bang for the $!
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

Alright, I worked on the Gretch today.... I basically took it apart. I hammerd off the nut and replaced it with a Tusq nut (I already had it). I gave it a good wipe down with Dr, Ducks axe wax... fret board and body. It was dry! I then made a Tusq saddle and a bone saddle. In the end it was the Tusq that sounded better. Not sure why... The real ticket is the strings. I put a set of Martin Silk and steel on there and they really take away the harsh, metalic, crashy sound. I was so suprised! I also did a truss rod adjustment that helped as well. This is now a playable, super cool guitar with only a new saddle, nut and new strings and a little oil. I also put some white lithium grease on the open gear tuners. That made a difference in that area as well. This sounds totally diffferent and does not buzz anymore. I reccomend these changes.
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

nice parlors!!

perhaps in 50 years, those will be like the stella guitars from the 1920-1930's

Jeff
Jeffrey

But if you change the nut and saddle and strings, you destroy the collectors value!

You need to watch more Antiques Roadshow -

Tad

I've spent about six minutes with mine since it came...no cracks and the bridge is still attached so none of the problems that I've read about on other forums. first thing I noticed was that the strings are horrid...maybe I'll try some silk and steel...should be fun to play with....
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Tadol,

No collectors value here.... That why they are on Overstock dot com.  They had thousands of these that they couldn't give away.  The dealers cost was $100 and they sold them for $150.  This is the 3rd or 4th of this series.  I mean.. How many of these can you buy and look at yourself and say "Wow, I have 15 cheap guitars made of ply wood!  What now?"  I use mine as I have curious children.  I would rather them get curious on the cowboy guitar than a $4500 SCGC.  Wouldn't you?  I am giving one to my Dad for a couch guitar for Christmas.  The Martin Silk & Steel make a diffference and they sound vintage.  The stock strings are crap... reminant of picture hanging wire.  Not to mention, the last think I need is something else to collect dust in my household.  If I own it, I use it. Life is short and I have fun.  I have played mine MUCH more than I ever thought I would!  With the cool strings I put on there... No sore fingers.  It is not as loud as my P-03, but I can put the Gretsch in the floor and my 10 month old daughter just bangs away.  Pretty durable I must say.  Not to mention I just got laid off of my job last Wednsday and I needed a pacifier and something to do during the holidays.  Speaking of everyone... Merry Christmas!

I actually bought 5 of these
A pair for myself
A pair I gave for Christmas to my guitar teacher
1 for my stepson (Maybe he will leave my guitars alone now)

I am very pleased with them. They are what they are depends how you wish to look at it
an inexpensive guitar that really is not bad, actually the little I played my teachers, I really liked them,  a poor mans parlor, a novelty or conversation starter guitar with the graphics.

Guitar teacher was very impressed with the pair I gave him, he liked the tones He was very pleased
I am opening mine at Christmas (sneaking gifts to myself) and that is when stepson will get his as well.

The pair for the teacher were not set up bad, except for string change and a fret oil the sundown will stay as is, the showdown will get the same and a slight truss rod tweak.  I will have to see what if anything the other three need But I think I will be happy with them! Actually I also kind of like the corny graphics, I also love the cartoon box!

Myself, I think they will be a comfortable at home guitar, I happen to really like the looks and the sounds these things put out, I think they will be a nice addition to my guitar family!  I may even install pick ups on one of them and pull it out if I am playing out somewhere as well!
Crafter GA 7
Fender Highway 1 Tele
GRETSCH 6119-1962 HT TENNESSEE ROSE
Gretsch Americana 2 of them And Yes I like them!
Well now I got good guitars, Just gotta learn to play them!

I got my Sundown Serenade last week and I must say I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it. Is it as good as my Larrivees or my Avalon? Of course not. But even with the cheap stock strings on, it rings out nicely up and down the neck (in a quiet bluesy kinda way). I'm in the process of tweaking the truss rod and hopefully getting rid of the fret buzz. I'll shim the saddle or put in another saddle if needed. With that and some fresh phosphor bronze lights, it should sound even better.  Fret ends need smoothing too. It'll be nice to have a guitar that doesn't need humidification in winter; much easier to grab. I mean, how can you beat it for$30? :thumbsup
Larrivée OM-01
Avalon A201
Silver Creek T-160
LAG T66D
Douglas WF165

I gave my dad his today.... I pre built/put together a mod kit with saddle, strings and setup tool for it on Christmas eve.  I installed it 5 min after he opened it up.. 20 min later he was happy and played it for hours.  He loved it!  What a cool guitar!
:nana_guitar

Hey Bltprf502,

Kudos to a great son. Well done!  :thumbsup

Now, about the rest of us. We need your kit. I've got two... :-)

Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

I just put silk and steels on my showdown last night. Made a huge difference in the sound. The action is a little low....it gets buzzy up the neck...but I don't think I'm going to mess with it. Its fine for a $30 guitar.
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Go to your dealer and get a Tusq saddle and sand it down to be just a little taller than the stock one.  Those blank saddles are cheap! I tried bone and the Tusq brings more to the party.  It also helps to oil the whole thing.... Neck , body, fretboard, bridge, headstock...everything!  Also use a little white lithium grease on the open geared tuners.  Those guitars are super dry out of the box.  I use Dr. Ducks, but you can use lin seed oil.  I oiled mine and let it sit.  It soaked most of it up as it was so dry and I wiped off the excess with a dry towel.  I put a new nut on mine, but did not on my Dad's.  His sounds bettter, but his strings are newer.  I would not go heavy on the strings as other forums have reported lifting bridges.  After I set his up, he played it foe 2 hours straight.  Not like him at all.... These are killer little guitars!