Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morgan owners out there?  (Read 4853 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:07:21 PM »

Are there any forum members who own Morgans? I believe they're pretty close to Larrivee, except for the bracing. I read that David Ionone actually does some inlay work for Jean at the British Columbia facility. In fact the article makes mention that he operates his own business from there, and that he has direct access to the timbers from the Larrivee stash.
I heard a local artist playing a Concert model in Sitka/Hog, and it sounded awesome.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:59:57 PM »

I have never owned a Morgan, but I have played a few.

David has a great website http://www.morganguitars.com/index.asp

Ron

GeeGnome

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:07:16 AM »

Ah.. I finallly got a hold of a Morgan guitar!  I must say I am impressed.  I ended up getting a used cck model (koa), and it's awesome in all aspects.  Sounds great, easy to play, and it's beautiful.  Just melts in my hand.  I dont think I'll ever part with this beauty.
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:29:17 AM »

This is my Morgan Concert with Florentine Cutaway.

This was my main acoustic gigging guitar for well over a decade. Now it shares that duty with a Larrivée C10 BZ.  They feel almost identical.

The Morgan is an astoundingly great instrument.

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »

Ah.. I finallly got a hold of a Morgan guitar!  I must say I am impressed.  I ended up getting a used cck model (koa), and it's awesome in all aspects.  Sounds great, easy to play, and it's beautiful.  Just melts in my hand.  I dont think I'll ever part with this beauty.

Congratulations! Do you have pictures to post?

Ron

GeeGnome

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:18:38 AM »

Not yet, but I'll try to post them soon!  Never posted any pictures before, but will go give it a try
willguitar

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:56:57 PM »

Morgans are awesome in all regards. One of the best builders. Don't pass them by if you get the chance to get one.  GeeGnome said it well "Just melts in my hand."

Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars
arbutusq

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »

I don't own a Morgan but I sure want to.  I remember seeing a pair of cutaway OM/s in a music store ages ago (one in hog and the ther in rosewood)  I've been lusting after one ever since.

The most beautiful sounding steel string guitar I've ever heard was a Morgan Dreadnought owned by a strummer at  a local folk circle I attend.  This thing was a cannon with a balanced but rich tone.
GeeGnome

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 07:41:28 PM »

Wow.. I'm months late, but finally got to taking pictures!

It sounds amazing.  Definitely a keeper.

[attachment deleted by admin]
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »

Wow!

That is gorgeous for sure.

Interesting how they have gone to a less aggressive arc in the cutaway. It looks great.

Enjoy!

And thanks for the pictures.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:47:01 AM »

+1  nice guitar

Are those box wood bridge pins?

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
GeeGnome

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »

Thanks!

Yeah, you're right.  Your Morgan seems to have a really aggressive cutaway.  I bought mine used, and it was originally made in 2000.  DIdn't seem like it was played much though.  Was yours made before or after that? 

Hm.. i'm looking at the bridge pins, and I have no idea what material they are.  They do look like boxwood though with some pearl inlay.
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »

Hi GeeGnome,

Mine was made in the very early 90's I think.  The cutaway is pretty much identical to the cutaway on Larrivee C-10's (mine and others that I've seen and played going way back).

Thanks!

Yeah, you're right.  Your Morgan seems to have a really aggressive cutaway.  I bought mine used, and it was originally made in 2000.  DIdn't seem like it was played much though.  Was yours made before or after that? 

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 05:08:12 AM »

Hm.. i'm looking at the bridge pins, and I have no idea what material they are.  They do look like boxwood though with some pearl inlay.

I fitted plain box wood pins to my J-05 and they look great.

RiloKiley

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 02:47:33 PM »

I own a Morgan DM. Easily the nicest sounding Spruce/Mahogany guitar I have ever played. Incredibly reasonable price too. Probably going to buy another Morgan when I can afford it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: