Pages: 1 ... 109 [110] 111 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 211676 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2180 on: January 11, 2009, 02:50:42 PM »

thanks danny, that Gibson is awesome. Is that the one with the really narrow neck though?
                     Yea, that's the one. It fits snugly in my 00 case so it's perfect for me as a couch player. My friends and my grandson like it a lot. It has a very nice sound. Kinda dry and mellow. It can be strummed pretty hard as well, but it's no dred. I have heard that Dylan used one for a while.
                     Here's a better pic of it with a PV-09e I had. This pic is before I repaired some of the top damage.
         It's hard to believe that it was as white as the Larrivee in 1966.

[attachment deleted by admin]

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2181 on: January 11, 2009, 03:25:34 PM »

OK Las t pic for awhile this one is of a LSV-30, which I ran across in my git pics folder.
This is a "classic" Larrivee, so the neck is wider, but it is 12 fret, the headstok is a slot, and the bridge is a hole thru ( no pegs) also there are no fret markers and the rosette is the classical style. Just a reference pic.
                  But it has an appearance similar to the LSV F-III so I thought I would post it here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #2182 on: January 11, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »

One of my dreams is to lay my hands on a nice B-25 or LG2

that's a nice guitar you have there Danny.

Jeffrey

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2183 on: January 11, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »

Here's my LS-09 Maple custom that I'm buying back from bhika.  Notice no fret markers like the F3 will be.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2184 on: January 11, 2009, 03:50:48 PM »

Here's my LS-09 Maple custom that I'm buying back from bhika.  Notice no fret markers like the F3 will be.

OK, please tell us why you let this one go. I really like my 00-09FM. And would love to have a LS-09FM.
   So fill in some details. If you don't mind.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2185 on: January 11, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »

Danny,

cop I chose the wrong guitar in a 1 in 1 out policy enforced by the spoucel police.  Let's just say that I that if bhika ever considered letting it go, he knew to give me a chance to get her back, so she's coming home next week.  This makes the 2nd guitar I have bought from him, although he managed to sell me one I already owned, lol.  I know how much you like your 00 and it's only made me miss ole' Mabel more.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2186 on: January 11, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »

It does seem that we all keep the GAS virus going around here. Well I'm glad you got the chance to get it back.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2187 on: January 11, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »

Yeah, don't believe what the tell you about gas as a limited natural resource. 

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #2188 on: January 11, 2009, 04:43:32 PM »

Danny,

cop I chose the wrong guitar in a 1 in 1 out policy enforced by the spoucel police.  Let's just say that I that if bhika ever considered letting it go, he knew to give me a chance to get her back, so she's coming home next week.  This makes the 2nd guitar I have bought from him, although he managed to sell me one I already owned, lol.  I know how much you like your 00 and it's only made me miss ole' Mabel more.

Bluesman67
I believe we both have guitars that went throught Bhika first, don't we.
If you ever, in a moment of weakness, decide to let it go again.....     well, I think you know where I'm goind with this.   bigrin

tuffythepug
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2189 on: January 11, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »

It's like a big left-handed triangle, starts in New England...goes down the coast to North Carolina...taking the train to the west coast. 

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2190 on: January 11, 2009, 06:10:06 PM »

Holly- I'm on page 1 again; I think it might be the applet scripting. I'm still working on it. The post is dependans, with the link to IS(pg. 108). Below the description of the wood, there is a black area describing grains & grades. It mentions 4"A" sets have some darker grain lines, while the 3"A" sets have some color variations. I assumed the "run-out" question was about the darker grain lines on the right of the picture daysailer mentioned. Hope it is what you want to know.
Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2191 on: January 11, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »

This is a quote from the site on Italian spruce tops:

"Fantastic tap tone! Grain lines from 40+ to 12-16 Very very stiff with good cross silking . All sets large enough for at least a dreadnaught. Color is a very beautiful creamy white even though the photos vary. We are offering three grades.  Master grade, AAAA and AAA.  Master grade a few and far between and priced accordingly. The 4A sets are very good but have some darker grain lines. 3A sets have some color variations. it is not uncommon with this species to find some small, isolated bits of bearclaw figure in all grades except Master grade. From time to time we will have a few Bearclaw sets. Italian  spruce has a great tap tone and is highly praised by many builders. "

Here is the link again:    http://www.rctonewoods.rcefaluguitars.com/italian_spruce.htm

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2192 on: January 11, 2009, 07:04:42 PM »

Can I ask what colored lines have to do with runout?

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2193 on: January 11, 2009, 07:05:19 PM »

Can I ask what colored lines have to do with runout?
NOTHING whatsoever.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #2194 on: January 11, 2009, 07:31:08 PM »

Dependan and Bluesman1,  thanks for the information. The above noted information was what I did find and read without concern.  I am actually hoping that there will be some grain lines or other natural wood charateristics in my F-III.  I like them.

Runout is a different issue.  It has to do with imperfectly quartersawn bookmatching.  This causes the two sides to display different colors from each other,  ie one side ligher other side darker and browner.   Turn the top to a different orientation to the light and the differences reverse.

The picture of a completed LV-10 Italian Spruce topped guitar that was posted from GA's site shows runout pretty well.

Very nice IS, thanks for the post.

This is the image on the Guitar Adoptions website. It's a LV-10 Madagascar/IS
                                                 http://www.guitaradoptions.com

Notice that the two sides look different, but with careful inspection, the top is bookmated, but displaying the runout of imperfect quatersawing.  IE the two sides show different shades of color.

I was surprized to see what looks like runout in the picture from GA on a 10 model, with an IS top.   That is why I posted my original runout post.  I am hoping that this picture has some trick of light or photographic issue that is causing the top to display what looks like runout. 

No Larrivée that I have ever seen in person has this visual flaw, 03's to the highest models.  My choice to order the F-III was a step of faith that there would continue to be that attention to good quartersawn tops.   All the information and quotes from Jean L. suggest that this will not be a problem. 

According to my research, runout has zero effect on the sound quality that would be any different than the normal differences in any two guitars from the same run from the same builder.

This will probably be the most I ever spend on a guitar and am hoping it will be my companion for life.  Just as for some Glossy or Satin finishes can be a deal breaker,  Runout drives me crazy.  My OCD issue, no one elses. 

Hope this clears up my confusion   wacko

ds

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2195 on: January 11, 2009, 07:41:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure my S.O. back is runout, has runout, whatever. If you hold it upside down the difference reverses. I'm trying to come to terms with it. Ugh, still haven't taken that pic.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2196 on: January 11, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »

GULP...

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #2197 on: January 11, 2009, 07:46:52 PM »

Holly, no worries about back runout.  My L-BW back has it.  Beautiful piece of wood, but difficult to photograph to show it at its best.  The  upside/down reversal is what I was trying to say.

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #2198 on: January 11, 2009, 07:48:19 PM »

as long as it sounds good......................  bigrin

and get the guitar soon........ :)

Jeffrey

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2199 on: January 11, 2009, 07:56:09 PM »

I don't like runout, and I just got an education about it, I thought it was something else.
 I view these pages on a small laptop and never noticed the whole right side is a little darker than the left. I just thought it had a few darker lines on the right.
            I want the best looking top I can get on mine. Just a thought though. or a wish or just a hope.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: 1 ... 109 [110] 111 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: