Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breaking News

We will keep one numbering system. Specific numbers have been assigned to specific people as a special request to Jim H.

Keeping the sequential numbering we have now will help Jim H facilitate the orders and special requests in the simplest possible way.

Thanks!!!

ricky

Quote from: BenF on January 04, 2009, 08:23:27 AM
Schallers on my D-09 - look like ping but on closer inspection are a classier finish altogether.  Much smoother tuning, and consistency of tightness from one to the next.  What I mean is that some of the buttons on my pings (2 of them) have to be tightened really tight or they slip a little.  The other 4 feel fine.  All the schallers feel the same.

Are Pings directly interchangeable with such Schallers? (like Gotohs are) Thanks :)

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

Yes, they are directly interchangable w/ Schallers.  Not sure what the gear ratio is though on the Scallers....18:1 I think, like the Gotoh 510's.  Some folks really like the Gotoh 510 Delta's w/ 21:1 ratio, but almost double the cost.  I think 18:1 is perfect.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I hear ping tuners are sorta hit and miss.

Hopefully all our guitars get good tuners...  So that some of us wouldn't have to change it.
Jeffrey

The pings are fine, I wouldn't give it much thought.  These other tuners are a little easier for tuning, but that's about it.  Once your in tune, they all (including pings) stay in tune well.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Thank you!  :donut2 :donut :donut2
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 05, 2009, 09:33:01 AM
The pings are fine, I wouldn't give it much thought.  These other tuners are a little easier for tuning, but that's about it.  Once your in tune, they all (including pings) stay in tune well.

I guess that'd be good enough for me..  :bgrin:
Jeffrey

Greatful Dead... I would rather shoot myself. As for the border, if you want to risk getting nailed with whatever Canada Customs feels like charging you.. go for it. As for me, mine will be going to the 12th Fret for set up.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I think a dead concert would be fun...haven't been to one in years and I've been to more than I can count.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 05, 2009, 09:33:01 AM
These other tuners are a little easier for tuning, but that's about it.  Once your in tune, they all (including pings) stay in tune well.

Not sure what all the fuss is about...last time I bought a forum guitar it was tuned at the factory...

:bgrin:
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

I have heard that a top purfling affect the sound of a guitar.  Being that it is cut into the edge of the top it has a resonating factor to it... Do you think the herring bone top purfling would have been worth the extra $150?  Just curious... I know some ordered it and some didn't.
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

I remember a guy who said he could hear abalone purlfing on a Martin. I know I cannot.

Not quite sure what herringbone sounds like.....but yes i think its worth $150.
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Very few guitars do not have some form of purfling.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I can't seem to think that purifying would effect the sound.

Jeffrey

Quote from: Dotneck on January 05, 2009, 10:26:43 AM
Not sure what all the fuss is about...last time I bought a forum guitar it was tuned at the factory...

:bgrin:

The trick to keeping your guitar in tune is to spot weld the strings to the tuner posts.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Regarding the top purfling affect on sound I can't say. But for me it was one of those "things you do for love" to order it for my FG-III.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Quote from: Dotneck on January 05, 2009, 11:03:21 AM
I remember a guy who said he could hear abalone purlfing on a Martin. I know I cannot.

Not quite sure what herringbone sounds like.....but yes i think its worth $150.
"I personally don't think most people could tell the difference in sound between the two. Of course there is the occasional person who can differentiate between the African and English swallow strictly by the variation in sound of wingspeed."
-Unknown

Quote from: GeeNorm on January 05, 2009, 12:18:20 PM
Regarding the top purfling affect on sound I can't say. But for me it was one of those "things you do for love" to order it for my FG-III.

Norman
I agree Norm, besides we are getting Mahogany/Italian Spruce 12 frets to the body and I believe some extra TLC from Larrivee on these. I think the purfling will be like Q. says.

Quote from: Queequeg on January 05, 2009, 12:27:35 PM
"I personally don't think most people could tell the difference in sound between the two. Of course there is the occasional person who can differentiate between the African and English swallow strictly by the variation in sound of wingspeed."
-Unknown
OK I gotta stop thinking about this... 3 days of waiting to get my last Larrivee was enough (00-09FM) Now we have at least 3 months or so. Even holly may resort to an emoticon or two :arrow

Quote from: dependan on January 05, 2009, 01:17:11 PM
   OK I gotta stop thinking about this... 3 days of waiting to get my last Larrivee was enough (00-09FM) Now we have at least 3 months or so. Even holly may resort to an emoticon or two :arrow

Danny,

gotta say that three months will go by VERY fast. You should order a Rickenbacker. LOL. I'm in my fourth month of a minimum 12 months wait.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"