Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I remember some people saying LS is the same size as a classical guitar.

is that right?
Jeffrey

Quote from: BenF on January 04, 2009, 03:13:34 PM
Here's the link to Randy's 1975 LS-09 12 fret.  Hope you don't mind Randy  I guess that now the smaller specs have been confirmed, this is the most accurate likeness for size that we have to show.  Beautiful guitar by the way, Randy.

http://randyrick.us/guitars/Larrivee1975LS09.htm

Hope this helps

This picture is BY FAR the best picture to be looking at if you are getting a non-cutaway FIII.  This is basically our guitar, dimension- and proportion-wise.  Subtract those funky big fret markers, crazy big rosette and the beautiful rosewood head piece and we are getting very close.  What a beautiful guitar Randy - wow, very special.
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: Bltprf502 on January 04, 2009, 03:27:42 PM
I always heard that Itallian spruce and Alpine spruce are the same... I wonder if the Italian spruce they are using is like the Alpine that Martin uses??  If so, it sounds similar to adirondack..
That's what JCL said to me.  Click on my signature pic and you will see a larger version of my first smaller LSV and my Martin OM-21. They are both fairly close to the specs of the FIII
Quote from: L-fan on January 04, 2009, 03:29:45 PM
This picture is BY FAR the best picture to be looking at if you are getting a non-cutaway FIII.  This is basically our guitar, dimension- and proportion-wise.  Subtract those funky big fret markers, crazy big rosette and the beautiful rosewood head piece and we are getting very close.  What a beautiful guitar Randy - wow, very special.
Actually his is a little smaller.

Here is the mock up pick some of ya'll made a while back.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: L-fan on Today at 04:29:45 PM
This picture is BY FAR the best picture to be looking at if you are getting a non-cutaway FIII.  This is basically our guitar, dimension- and proportion-wise.  Subtract those funky big fret markers, crazy big rosette and the beautiful rosewood head piece and we are getting very close.  What a beautiful guitar Randy - wow, very special.

Actually his is a little smaller.

Really?  Thanks for the clarification on that.
Scott

RS-2

i would suggest that Randy's is probably quite close in size to the classicals that JCL produced in the late 60s and early 70s, just built for steel string tension.  This was the point I made a couple of pages back.  I think what we will get is very very close to the first steel string guitars that JCL made, just updated with 40 years of knowhow and modern technology.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: dependan on January 04, 2009, 03:33:40 PM
  Here is the mock up pick some of ya'll made a while back.

I'm very proud of that photoshopping!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

I was at Cotten music playing an OM for a fellow member of the UMGF.  I didn't know it was Alpine spruce.  I strummed it and WOW it had some great tone and volume.  I really reminded me of my Adi topped H-13.  Some balls I tell ya...
:winkin:
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

My classical guitar I have that was my Fathers.  It is a Martin 00-18c.  Note I say "00".... I think the "00" hunch is correct.
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

I have a great idea:

Any fellow Torontonians want to take a road trip to catch the Grateful Dead in Buffalo on April 21, then go to Trinity to get the new LS's setup with bone saddle?
FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

Dependan- going by the updated specs for the forum guitar, is what you're saying is the #'s are pretty close to the LSV ? I have an Om-05, so the comparison should be close to your picture.

Can't wait !
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Well, I slipped out about 20+ pages ago, took a little trip to Mexico with my entire family, and just got back today.

I am amazed at the number of guitars that got ordered! Well done to all - especially getting that smaller size spec locked down.

I wonder if this might be the largest special order Larrivee has ever done? Would be worth investigating, I think.

I also agree with others - Ricky/Jim, if we could see about an upgrade to the Schallers, with non-chrome buttons, I would be very pleased. I would also wonder about a special order clear pickguard - Maybe Jim could give us a price if we could commit to a couple dozen of them? With this qty, I would think Jean much consider making it standard - why would anyone want to cover up this beautiful Italian Spruce?

Anyway - back to a new year, new problems, and the long wait for the guitars -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: BluesMan1 on January 04, 2009, 09:39:13 PM
Dependan- going by the updated specs for the forum guitar, is what you're saying is the #'s are pretty close to the LSV ? I have an Om-05, so the comparison should be close to your picture.

Can't wait !
My OM-21 is smaller than a Larrivee OM. It's the same size as a Martin 000. The LSV-11 in my sig. pic is the same basic size as the F-III and the OM-21 is very close to the size of the LSV-11.

re the clear pickguards.

I have it on the best authority that Larrivée no longer supplies that material, even to the dealers.
When I ordered my FG-III from Jim, he said when the order is all put together and when things settle a bit, he will research and try to find the material and make it available to us.   NO Promises though.

I have used the clear material from LMI for my Seagull pickguard, but it is glossy and would stand out on the satin finish of our FG's.

ds :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Here is a 00-05 a LS-05 and a parlor, for size comparison

Quote from: bogie on January 04, 2009, 08:20:08 PM
I have a great idea:

Any fellow Torontonians want to take a road trip to catch the Grateful Dead in Buffalo on April 21, then go to Trinity to get the new LS's setup with bone saddle?

If you come back across the border with a few newish looking guitars then I'm thinking the border-ba$tards are likely to charge you full tax on your purchase. I'd rather just skip the hassle and have it sent from Vancouver direct.

The concert sounds like a good idea but I'm just not of the Grateful Dead generation. The last Eric Clapton concert in Toronto was my limit of reaching back (though incredibly rewarding). That being said, I hope you folks have a good time of it, you are never too young for road trips.  :nana_guitar

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: limnephilidae on January 05, 2009, 12:11:59 AM
If you come back across the border with a few newish looking guitars then I'm thinking the border-ba$tards are likely to charge you full tax on your purchase.   :nana_guitar

I agree crossing the border with the guitars sounds like the potential for hassles and potential duty.

I'm not from that side of the country but a Deadhead roadtrip sounds like fun.

Quote from: dazdarren on January 05, 2009, 12:32:46 AM
I agree crossing the border with the guitars sounds like the potential for hassles and potential duty.

I'm not from that side of the country but a Deadhead roadtrip sounds like fun.

As long as you have your original receipt, it won't be a problem.
FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

I've done a final rollup and forwarded to Jim Holler.

Herringbone Purfling = 34
Venetian Cut-away = 7
Lefty = 9

RW/Is=20
Mah/Is=32
HogWild=14

Total orders = 66 as posted on the forum.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519