Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schallers on my D-09 - look like ping but on closer inspection are a classier finish altogether.  Much smoother tuning, and consistency of tightness from one to the next.  What I mean is that some of the buttons on my pings (2 of them) have to be tightened really tight or they slip a little.  The other 4 feel fine.  All the schallers feel the same.

Edit, picture of pings below, for direct comparison.  The buttons are the same ones, but they do not fit quite as sunugly on the pings (again 4 feel fine, and 2 slip very slightly)

Edit again - the easy way to tell is the Larrivee branded ones are pings, and the Schallers ahve a big S on them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: tuffythepug on January 04, 2009, 02:55:05 AM
Question for anyone who might know....

What is the average monthly output of guitars from the Vancouver 03 level production site ?  I'm beginning to get curious how much of a strain an order for 60+ guitars will place on their facility.
I imagine they have a regular production schedule to fill orders from dealers around the world but I don't have a clue what their factory is capable of with regard to handling a special order such as this.
Would you expect them to be completed in groups of 10 or 15 per month ?  20 - 25 ?  It seems only logical to assume that we'll be receiving these over the course of several months once the first ones roll off the line, eh ?   

Tuffythepug

Tuffy, I mentioned something on this order a few pages back and no one commented. I don't think the majority of those who ordered want to think that they might have to wait a few extra months to get their F-III just because they waited till the last minute to order.

Maybe Jim will be able to provide his thoughts on this, I seem to remember him mentioning a large order that had just arrived the day I ordered my F-III.

:coffee   :donut2  :donut
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

My D-09 still isn't sold.  I was worried, but it seems the wife has been trying to save enough to pay for Forum III anyway, so that I can keep the dread too.   :bgrin: :bgrin: :bgrin: :bgrin:

How lucky am I?

Still, 19 days to go on my ebay listing, bet someone hits the buy it now button now!! :angry:
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Ben,

Don't hold your breath, but hold your wife tightly and tell her how wonderful she is.

I hope you keep both guitars and this sweet lady too!

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Quote from: prof_stack on January 03, 2009, 10:36:27 PM
The best 12-fret Larrivee I have played (so far, heh) is the wonderful SD-50.  Sitka over Mahogany and it had a unique and sweet sound, with a lot of growl in the bass as needed.  As I have written earlier, my D-18GE is preferable to my ears.  But for those who ordered IS/Mah, you'll likely be getting a very sweet guitar with a lot of range in the sound.  It should be special.  But for me I've been there and done that, having had 4 Larrivees with mahogany back/sides.

I suppose Jim "could" change your order if you asked nicely (or called him on Sunday, assuming he's answering).

With Euro spruce being popular in classical guitars and with rosewood being the preferred back and sides, I am salivating at the thought of this wood combination. 

It's all good.

I think Adirondack and Rosewood combo on my D-60 sounds complex and I get that "sweet" tone. My original review is buried somewhere in this forum as my first ever post. Anyway, the combination is not the same, and neither is the body type or exact bracing pattern, but it is still a Larrivee harder spruce top with a harder rosewood back and sides. I think that combination has produced some beautiful complexity and I expect the same from my LS-03R, that's why I ordered rosewood.

I'm trying to predict the tone of the LS-03R in my mind and I'm wondering if it will have the deep dry quality that the D-60 MR has. I'm sure it will have that sweet ringing quality from the top regardless and I can't wait to hear it.  :drool:
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 04, 2009, 09:38:06 AM
Tuffy, I mentioned something on this order a few pages back and no one commented. I don't think the majority of those who ordered want to think that they might have to wait a few extra months to get their F-III just because they waited till the last minute to order.

Maybe Jim will be able to provide his thoughts on this, I seem to remember him mentioning a large order that had just arrived the day I ordered my F-III.

:coffee   :donut2  :donut

Something to consider is how orders are shipped out to dealers.  I don't think it's cost efficient (esp from Canada)  to ship them to Jim as they roll off the line. I just assumed they would be done and sent en mass to Jim who would then ship out as he see's fit. I'm a bit bemused because now that it's all said and done, besides wondering if i should have gone with RW, I'm in no hurry and don't feel that impatience waiting brings, at all.

holly

PS. Ben, if you have the cash, why not simply remove the listing?
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on January 04, 2009, 10:19:46 AM

PS. Ben, if you have the cash, why not simply remove the listing?

It won't be easy to afford it.  Things would be easier if it sells.  I just didn't know she was planning for a worst case scenario.  It would be very unfair of me to remove the listing now. 

Also, I honestly don't play it as much as my OM-03, because of the narrower nut, so in the long term I can see it being replaced by an L-05 or 09 anyway, so it makes sense to sell it if I can.  I just wouldn't cry if it didn't sell!!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

I'd love to see Schallers on these Forum III guitars...I think that would be a great bonus.  I've never had problems with Pings but Schallers are definitely a step up IMO.  

I knew when I saw hog and IS was being offered for this Forum III that it would be an easy decision.  I've owned and played many mahogany Larrivees and they always deliver a great sound, so smooth.  A 12 fret LS with mahogany and IS will be special any way you look at it.  I've got my OO-50 which is sublime but this LS-03 will be a bit bigger and add the IS top which I'm hoping will add a bit more bass and volume...awesome.  Then, to top it off, it will be built here in Canada.  

Ben- I had an OM-03SP until I sold it for the $ for forum guitar. My OM-05 sounds totally different than the sapale, the latter leaning more towards rosewood (bass). It was a very balanced sound, especially after I had a bone nut & saddle installed. As I said in previous posts, I had ordered the IS/RW combo first, but changed after speaking with David Wren. I already have a L-10 Custom, so my rosewood needs are filled. One of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard or played.

As far as the tuners go, the -03's come with Pings. An easy check is to look for the big "S" on the tuner:Schallers.
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Oh, by the way, if they say "Larrivee" on the tuners, they're probably Pings.
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: BluesMan1 on January 04, 2009, 10:59:53 AM

As far as the tuners go, the -03's come with Pings. 

On standard 03s, yes but on customs like these:

http://www.12fret.com/new/Larrivee_2008_Twelfth_Fret_Limited_Edition_OM-03R_pg.html

They are Gotohs and while I'd love to see those on the Forum III, I'd be just as happy with Schallers...hmmm, Grover Sta-tites would be nice too

I've never had problems with Pings and when my FIII gets here, I'm pretty sure I won't care all that much what tuners are on it but if it's got nicer tuners, it would be a bonus.

Nice link Denis, I especially like his conversation with Jean.
Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 04, 2009, 11:32:47 AM
Nice link Denis, I especially like his conversation with Jean.

Yeah, I posted that before too when all the IS talk was happening...thinking those of us that chose the Italian spruce are getting some special tops!!!

Whats interesting about the interview is that JCL indicates he now has 3000 Italian Spruce tops.  Our guitars shouldn't make too much of a dent in his wood supply...which is good.

Second interesting thing is the picture on the left of his son working on the guitars.  The two racks contain about 40 guitars so our order is probably about three racks worth of production at the Vancouver plant.  I don't know how many guitars they are working on at any given time but it must be quite a bit more than this considering the plant is on multiple floors.  Our 65 guitars shouldn't cause them any grief and/or slow things down for them.

Good link.

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Quote from: Denis on January 04, 2009, 11:44:32 AM
Yeah, I posted that before too when all the IS talk was happening...thinking those of us that chose the Italian spruce are getting some special tops!!!

The guitars from that link are very special - as mentioned I bought one of them.  But if we look close at their tops, they are definitely 03 grade tops; I know mine has many superficial imperfections.  I really wonder how our IS tops will look - it's easy for me to think of creamy white spruce with straight grain, etc.  But one look at #3 of 12 of the 12th fret special editions top's "character" can be contrasted with a listen to the sample sound bite, and one can tell just how great these guitars play.  I look forward to the FIII being the same way.
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: Jagadis on January 04, 2009, 11:58:58 AM
Whats interesting about the interview is that JCL indicates he now has 3000 Italian Spruce tops.  Our guitars shouldn't make too much of a dent in his wood supply...which is good.

Second interesting thing is the picture on the left of his son working on the guitars.  The two racks contain about 40 guitars so our order is probably about three racks worth of production at the Vancouver plant.  I don't know how many guitars they are working on at any given time but it must be quite a bit more than this considering the plant is on multiple floors.  Our 65 guitars shouldn't cause them any grief and/or slow things down for them.

Good link.

Jordan.

Aren't there always sets of customs like this being made at Larrivee?  12th Fret Anniversary editions, I recently saw a bubinga L-03, the silver oaks, walnuts, all sapele...just seems that there's always something other than just standard 03's being made at the Vancouver facility???   Then, this quote from their own website:  In early March 1998,

Larrivée Guitars moved to a new 33000 square foot facility in the heart of Vancouver, where 100 highly skilled people in the Guitar industry made 60-72 guitars a day.

Seems like a run of 65 guitars shouldn't disturb their normal output all that much?

Quote from: Denis on January 04, 2009, 11:16:31 AM
On standard 03s, yes but on customs like these:

http://www.12fret.com/new/Larrivee_2008_Twelfth_Fret_Limited_Edition_OM-03R_pg.html

They are Gotohs and while I'd love to see those on the Forum III, I'd be just as happy with Schallers...hmmm, Grover Sta-tites would be nice too

I've never had problems with Pings and when my FIII gets here, I'm pretty sure I won't care all that much what tuners are on it but if it's got nicer tuners, it would be a bonus.

Thanks for the link. That's a great looking OM, and the discussion was a fun read.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Quote from: Denis on January 04, 2009, 12:10:42 PM
Aren't there always sets of customs like this being made at Larrivee?  12th Fret Anniversary editions, I recently saw a bubinga L-03, the silver oaks, walnuts, all sapele...just seems that there's always something other than just standard 03's being made at the Vancouver facility???   Then, this quote from their own website:  In early March 1998,

Larrivée Guitars moved to a new 33000 square foot facility in the heart of Vancouver, where 100 highly skilled people in the Guitar industry made 60-72 guitars a day.

Seems like a run of 65 guitars shouldn't disturb their normal output all that much?

I thought John Jr was going to hand build all of ours.  :wink:
Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 04, 2009, 12:27:03 PM
I thought John Jr was going to hand build all of ours.  :wink:

Depends on how LARGE of a shipment of donuts we have Horton's deliver...    :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Meanwhile... back to the sub-thread about putting pickups in the FIII's. I have a nib KnK mini and am thinking about putting it in when I receive the guitar. I also have a KnK belt clip pre-amp to use if necessary which I bought from the same source about 2 years ago, and haven't yet used. That would give me a smaller guitar to play plugged in than the C-09Walnut which I currently use (or don't use much) as the situation demands.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519