Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky,

So you see your coming LSV-03R as providing for strumming that your 00 does not?

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Quote from: Broadus on January 03, 2009, 04:19:21 PM
Ricky,

So you see your coming LSV-03R as providing for strumming that your 00 does not?

Bill

Yes, indeed.  Right now, I hardly dig in when I strum. So, if the FG III is comfy in the couch, I believe I'm set.

The Forum has cured my Ebay disease.

Now, with the Helper we have, I hope I'll develop your nerves of steel within me and GAS vicariously and still enjoy it... and yes, sell all my guitars except one.

CONFESSION:    My head says, "simplicity" = 1 guitar for life.  I'm not there yet.

My heart says, 4 Larrivees = FG III, L-03R, OM-05MT, OO-09 === where I currently am.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on January 03, 2009, 04:27:18 PM
Yes, indeed.  Right now, I hardly dig in when I strum. So, if the FG III is comfy in the couch, I believe I'm set.

The Forum has cured my Ebay disease.

Now, with the Helper we have, I hope I'll develop your nerves of steel within me and GAS vicariously and still enjoy it... and yes, sell all my guitars except one.

CONFESSION:    My head says, "simplicity" = 1 guitar for life.  I'm not there yet.

My heart says, 4 Larrivees = FG III, L-03R, OM-05MT, OO-09 === where I currently am.

ricky

I agree with the notion of "simplicity," but I suspect that's a relative term.

My next guitar, I think, will need to be enough different from my L-03R but still be able to handle moderate strumming. I will probably look back on the FGIII as a lost opportunity, but that's okay.

I think I would want either an L-03R or an OM-03R, but not both. They seem too close. I realize that one can go with different woods, but the nuances in the sounds aren't enough to my ear to overcome the similarities in sounds across the same body size (If I've ever written an unclear sentence, that has to be one of them!). An L and a used LSV-11 might make for a great combination.

My hat's off to you in getting this thing rolling. You guys are going to be some happy campers come spring.

Bill

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Herringbone Purfling = 34
Venetian Cut-away = 7
Lefty = 9

RW/Is=20
Mah/Is=31
HogWild=14

Total orders = 65 in the order thread.

Dropped Out = 4
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Broadus on January 03, 2009, 04:39:19 PM
My next guitar, I think, will need to be enough different from my L-03R but still be able to handle moderate strumming. I will probably look back on the FGIII as a lost opportunity, but that's okay.

I think I would want either an L-03R or an OM-03R, but not both. They seem too close.

I noticed Randy is still posting updates. I suspect Jim H will allow for late orders? I don't know.

Please allow me to be the "bad guy" here, you can still place an order for FG III... not trying to sway you here... okay... I'm swaying you !!!  :humour:

I don't think the L and OM seem too close.   I would consider the L as the "biggest" size I would ever go... with big sound... yet really comfy, much more comfy than my GS.
My eyes and heart have cost me a few thousand dollars going after Taylors. Of course, I have to be "stupid" first and ignore Larrivees.  Now, I've repented of my twisted ways.

I would think the OM and the FG III will be closer.   So I'm hoping that I would not need an OM anymore, now that the FG III is on the way.

ricky

I've wondered how close an LS-03R and an OM-03R would be in sound and playability. If the OM-03R is distinct enough from the L-03R, picking up one used wouldn't be such a bad thing. I had just considered them to be pretty close, but the only Larri I've ever held is my own.

Bill

Quote from: rpm60912 on January 03, 2009, 04:52:43 PM
I noticed Randy is still posting updates. I suspect Jim H will allow for late orders? I don't know.
ricky

The Larrivee order department is closed on weekends... so ......

Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: Broadus on January 03, 2009, 05:03:36 PM
I've wondered how close an LS-03R and an OM-03R would be in sound and playability. If the OM-03R is distinct enough from the L-03R, picking up one used wouldn't be such a bad thing. I had just considered them to be pretty close, but the only Larri I've ever held is my own.

Bill

With my sometimes aggressive strumming, the L-03R would be my choice if that was the only guitar I would keep.

I'm not sure I need an OM anymore, now that the LS is 3-4 months away.

You know what?  The enthusiasm of HOG fans here has really piqued my interest in mahogany. So, I'm playing any MT just to test drive see if I like the sound.

Oh yeah... lots of used OM around.   I take it you're a rosewood guy like me, huh?

ricky

Quote from: Randy_R on January 03, 2009, 05:11:16 PM
The Larrivee order department is closed on weekends... so ......

Randy,

I just encouraged our dear Jim Holler to take a day off.  There will be busy days ahead.

You deserve a day off too, man !!!

Bill "Broadus" and I are just keeping watch while it's relatively quiet... so others will be on Page 100 when they come in  :roll

Thanks for all your work !!!    I appreciate your paying attention to details and keeping track of all the other tedious tasks that would kill me if I had to do them.

ricky

maybe I'll get some custom pick guards made...  and make the guitar into something like this

Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on January 03, 2009, 05:25:11 PM
maybe I'll get some custom pick guards made...  and make the guitar into something like this
:yak:
Eyouch!  You would have a one-of-a-kind Larrivee with that arrangment! 
Play it daily for best results.

That looks like my Guild D-35 with the Richie Havens pick guards on it...   :laughin:

If you used clear Larrivee pickguards, who'd know? 
Randy R., Georgia, USA

I just had a custom rosewood made for one of mine. If ya want I can post pictures when it's installed. It 's freakin awesome. I sure it will come as a surprise (not) that i have the PG's removed. Well, on this one there was a really distinct shadow. So this was my answer to avoid putting plastic back on the wood.

I'm not saying which guitar but it's pretty spectacular how it all came together.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Okay...so lets try a different bunch of topics now that we have got the ordering done and we are all now officially into the 90 day+ waiting period. 

Once you get your new Forum III guitar, what upgrades are you considering?

1)  Is anyone considering replacing the tuners with something a bit more vintage (i.e. Waverly)?  I had a look on Waverly's website and they have some really nice engraved/vintage tuners that would really look amazing.

2)  Lets get some discussion going about pickups.  I've never bothered to install one on my D-03 but I'm thinking of installing one on the Forum III.  Any recommendations regarding the different options that are out there?  My key goal here is to install something that you cannot see so that I don't ruin the beauty of this guitar.

Thoughts?

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

The L. R. Baggs active system (which Jim suggested and installed on my L-03R) is inconspicuous, as is the K&K Pure Western Mini.

Bill

Quote from: Jagadis on January 03, 2009, 05:55:47 PM
Okay...so lets try a different bunch of topics now that we have got the ordering done and we are all now officially into the 90 day+ waiting period. 

Once you get your new Forum III guitar, what upgrades are you considering?

1)  Is anyone considering replacing the tuners with something a bit more vintage (i.e. Waverly)?  I had a look on Waverly's website and they have some really nice engraved/vintage tuners that would really look amazing.

2)  Lets get some discussion going about pickups.  I've never bothered to install one on my D-03 but I'm thinking of installing one on the Forum III.  Any recommendations regarding the different options that are out there?  My key goal here is to install something that you cannot see so that I don't ruin the beauty of this guitar.

Thoughts?

Jordan.

1) Waverly has some great looking quality tuners...unfortunately, you will have an issue with covering the holes from the original tuners.  They will need to be filled if you want Waverly's.  Gotoh 510's are exact drop-in's with no new holes.  They look nice, not vintage, but nice looking and are of good quality...also a good price.  I already bought a set for my F3.

2) The best thing going for the money is a K&K Pure Western Mini pickup, about a hundred and fifty bucks installed.  End pin jack, no pre-amp needed.  3 microphones get crazyglued to the soundboard and the sound quality is very pure, outstanding.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 03, 2009, 06:26:15 PM
1) Waverly has some great looking quality tuners...unfortunately, you will have an issue with covering the holes from the original tuners.  They will need to be filled if you want Waverly's.  Gotoh 510's are exact drop-in's with no new holes.  They look nice, not vintage, but nice looking and are of good quality...also a good price.  I already bought a set for my F3.

2) The best thing going for the money is a K&K Pure Western Mini pickup, about a hundred and fifty bucks installed.  End pin jack, no pre-amp needed.  3 microphones get crazyglued to the soundboard and the sound quality is very pure, outstanding.

1. You getting your F3 installed with Gotoh 510s at the factory?   I also have noticed the extra screw (which will bore a hole) of the stock Larrivee tuners.  If there's a way to avoid that... I'd sure like to find out.  Please educate me.    How much will Gotoh's cost like the ones you ordered?

2. Yes, K&K pwm all the way - - - here.

ricky

I think I got three sets of Schaller Gotoh (black) tuners for about $100 from Stew Mac The more you buy the more you save. Those will be the first things I change on my guitar. I really don't like the shiny chrome nor do I like the cheap feel of the Pings. I think I said it somewhere else, when I first installed them I did so for looks. But, I was pretty impressed by how much more responsive they are than the Pings I have.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

I'll do the tuners, if needed..

But I will keep it stock.. maybe bone nut..  but bone saddle might be too warm sounding for a all hog guitar.. but we will see..
I had put in a bone saddle, but it sounded too warm for my taste, so I ended up going back to tusq..
Jeffrey

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Midsize_510_Tuners_with_Metal_Knobs.html

Here's the link with all the information.  As far as extra holes, I'm not sure what you mean.  These will pop right in, no extra holes, use the same holes already drilled.  I am installing them myself, I figured that no such requests would be granted at Larrivee.  
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte