Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I completely agree that if JCL wants to give us a surprise, let it be a surprise.  No harm done in speculating, but lets wait and see.  On this subject, could everyone keep quiet about the surprise when the guitars arrive please.  Given that mine has to go 4000 miles further than everyone elses, there will be 64 opportunities for someone to spoil the surprise for me. :humour:

Those getting direct shipping to Canada will get theirs a good few days earlier than anyone else anyway, as Jim will not be working on them first.

Please spare a thought for Jim Holler and Randy who have to put this order together today.  Fingers crossed that the lists tally and the job is as straightforward as possible.  65 orders with this many options could be a major headache!  Good luck gents, and thank you.

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on January 03, 2009, 03:09:38 AM
I completely agree that if JCL wants to give us a surprise, let it be a surprise.  No harm done in speculating, but lets wait and see.  On this subject, could everyone keep quiet about the surprise when the guitars arrive please.  Given that mine has to go 4000 miles further than everyone elses, there will be 64 opportunities for someone to spoil the surprise for me. :humour:

Those getting direct shipping to Canada will get theirs a good few days earlier than anyone else anyway, as Jim will not be working on them first.

Please spare a thought for Jim Holler and Randy who have to put this order together today.  Fingers crossed that the lists tally and the job is as straightforward as possible.  65 orders with this many options could be a major headache!  Good luck gents, and thank you.

Ben

Where are you at?

I'm in Northern Japan

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Quote from: iDavid on January 03, 2009, 03:46:47 AM
Where are you at?

I'm in Northern Japan

david

Scotland.  I think that those with furtherst to go should be sent first :humour:
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

I totally agree with you  :+1: :+1: :+1:

With 93 (and counting?) pages on this thread, this process is clearly a testament to the benefits of the Larrivee Forum. If I repeat anything that was already said, I apologize but I didn't read every post.

Think about it. A group of people from all over North America and other parts of the world have gotten together electronically to develop, design and agree upon the final specs for a special order guitar. As a sideline observer, here are two simple suggestions to make each guitar in this run extra special:

1) With Jean Larrivee and Jim Holler (who will do the bone saddle, set up and final inspection for each guitar) both having a hand in this project, you should ask them to both sign the label and add the word "plus" or "+" to their signature on the label. Jean could sign each label and stick it in the case so Jim could sign it and affix it to inside of the guitar.

2) Another option would be for Jean to add a printed label with artwork by Wendy with your forum name (i.e. Ben F, Daysailer, tuffythepug) printed on the same paper stock as the current label and placed beside it (since you all had input or influence into the design in some way). I am not a tekkie but you can type a list of 60+ names into a word document in 15 minutes and print off the labels. Plus it bonds all of you together who participated in this project.

You could also ask Jean to photograph each of the three guitars (EIR/IS, Mahogany/IS, Mahogany/Mahogany) and include a copy of the photo or use it for a future ad campaign. Each of you could in turn submit a photo of yourself with your new forum guitar and the winning entry could be used in an ad in a future issue of Acoustic Guitar or other magazines.

What's amazing is that these guitars will all be built in a relatively short time period unlike the waiting period of 6 months to two years or more for most custom builds. Both of my Larrivee guitars were special orders: My parlor guitar label says "Special Maple Edition" (100 made) and my 12 string is truly special with a hog top and venetian cutaway (30 MT made).

Quote from: teh on January 03, 2009, 06:48:40 AM
With 93 (and counting?) pages on this thread, this process is clearly a testament to the benefits of the Larrivee Forum. If I repeat anything that was already said, I apologize but I didn't read every post.

Think about it. A group of people from all over North America and other parts of the world have gotten together electronically to develop, design and agree upon the final specs for a special order guitar. As a sideline observer, here are two simple suggestions to make each guitar in this run extra special:

1) With Jean Larrivee and Jim Holler (who will do the bone saddle, set up and final inspection for each guitar) both having a hand in this project, you should ask them to both sign the label and add the word "plus" or "+" to their signature on the label. Jean could sign each label and stick it in the case so Jim could sign it and affix it to inside of the guitar.

2) Another option would be for Jean to add a printed label with artwork by Wendy with your forum name (i.e. Ben F, Daysailer, tuffythepug) printed on the same paper stock as the current label and placed beside it (since you all had input or influence into the design in some way). I am not a tekkie but you can type a list of 60+ names into a word document in 15 minutes and print off the labels. Plus it bonds all of you together who participated in this project.

You could also ask Jean to photograph each of the three guitars (EIR/IS, Mahogany/IS, Mahogany/Mahogany) and include a copy of the photo or use it for a future ad campaign. Each of you could in turn submit a photo of yourself with your new forum guitar and the winning entry could be used in an ad in a future issue of Acoustic Guitar or other magazines.

What's amazing is that these guitars will all be built in a relatively short time period unlike the waiting period of 6 months to two years or more for most custom builds. Both of my Larrivee guitars were special orders: My parlor guitar label says "Special Maple Edition" (100 made) and my 12 string is truly special with a hog top and venetian cutaway (30 MT made).

Both good ideas.  I think the first one may not work, as it has been mentioned before that JH is a respected luthier, and might not want his name on someone else's guitar.  Don't think it would be fair to ask him to IMHO, although please don't take that as a negative - I mean it respectfully to Jim.

The second idea appeals more.  Perhaps a second label saying 'Handmade in Canada for Ben Freeman' for example - that would be sweet.  I would prefer my name rather than my forum name, because if I am honest, i didn't put a lot of thought into it.  As others have said though, it might be unreasonable to ask for any more, given the discount that has been offered.  When JCL offered his Italian Spruce for this, I bet he didn't realise it would cost him about 50 tops!

on another topic slightly........

Another comment was posted about the traditional JCL headstock logo.  Would it be reasonable to suggest that JCL doesn't like it because he sees his business as a family enterprise, and therefore shouldn't have just his name on it.  In the beginning it was just him, now it is him, Wendy and his sons.  That would explain why it seems appropriate to have larrivee on the headstock.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

his prized Italian Spruce

There seems to be this idea that there are like what, a hundred of these lying around.  I'm happy for the upgrade, but let's keep our perspective.
Also, please NO SHINY crap on my guitar. I understand people like it, i for one would be seriously bent if after all this people pushed for  abalone or MOP.

Please appreciate that not everyone is of the same mind. Some us us pressed very hard to keep it simple and would like to see it remain that way. While I have NO problem with Ricky asking whatever, I would assume any idea that involves us all, before asked, would be 'voted' on. perhaps it's time to sit back, take a deep breath and see how it sorts out.

I mean, isn't is merely an assumption that any surprise, so to speak, will be given? IMO the horse has left the gate. I think it's great to toss ideas around and see if you can get the extra you really wanted for YOUR guitar. Talk about what would be great, etc. But please, let's set aside any talk about changes to everyone's guitars. Some of us are just fine.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: teh on January 03, 2009, 06:48:40 AM

I don't know of any luthier that didn't make the guitar, that would feel comfortable doing that. I know you are trying to be inclusive, but that would be grossly overstepping. I don't mean to diminish anyone's work, but a saddle and a set up doesn't warrant signing a label. I'm trying really hard to make this point without sounding harsh, but i can't think of any other way to say it. So, please understand my 'tone' is one of explanation not judgement, ok?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: BenF on January 03, 2009, 03:09:38 AM

Ben

Ben,

Absolutely! I think there should be no spoilers from the Crazy Canucks who will get theirs first..am I gloating?
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I agree with the view emerging here that:

1. It is remarkable that people around the place have agreed in such numbers on a special guitar that closely fits their idea of what they have been looking for and which couldn't otherwise be had.

2. We owe our gratitude (and some cash) to those who will fulfil our hopes: chiefly Messrs Larrivee and Holler. Also thanks to the other prime movers. It could seem a bit ungracious to up the ask further and make their burden heavier - let's wait and see.

All that aside, now the craven special pleading. I am getting this for my 50th at the end of March. I was not bothered about getting No.50 (better to be 49?) but I would be nice if I could at least get this as early (or late) as everybody else. I'm in Belgium, which is about 500 miles further than Hokkaido (no donuts in IKEA?) or Scotland. But I'll bet there is someone further (Italy, the Gulf?)

Anyway, thanks again to all those who have made this possible. I have spent some 10 costly but enjoyable years realising this is the size, shape, etc that should best fit my needs and tastes. Now to pay for it. Is Guitar Disposal Syndrome an imaginary disease?

Spanker of planks

Herringbone Purfling = 32 
Venetian Cut-away = 7
Lefty = 9

Total orders = 63 posted in the Forum

rw/is =20
Mh/is= 29
hog/hog=14
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

So what's this I hear about a special guitar being ordered?   :guitar  You all are calling it the F III.  Can someone tell me about it?  :whistling:

:humour:

Just a little effort to push for 100 pgs.!  Now all the gushing and exclamations should polish it off!

but I would be nice if I could at least get this as early (or late) as everybody else.

Sure, Jean can use his magic sleigh and reindeer. Oh, wait, that's Santa. Another figure of mythic proportions. I'm sure everyone will be discreet IF discretion is warranted but I'm not sure how anyone can swing them all being delivered at the same time. You can't get that to happen inside one country, much less on an International level.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

I'd like to have mine the moment it could be handed to me :whistling: I'll come get it. :guitar

That's cool, you can swing by with mine. It's the one stuffed with cash.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

I read with interest the thread on Larrivee History, and also read the Fretboard Journal article again recently.  Given that JCL started out by building classicals, and then moved from that into steel strung instruments through experimation, I wold be very interested to understand how close this LS (small version) 12 fret design is to the original steel string guitars that they produced.  The L model became the trademark shape, which I assume was making the typical classical body larger or a louder sound.  Perhaps the earliest of steel strung guitars were actually very very close to what we have just ordered.

Interested to know what others who know better think about that.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

I don't know any better, but from what I have read... I believe you are correct

How is the number going to work?  I assume there will be one numbering system regardless of wood type

How were the previous forum guitars numbered?

Can't say it matters, just curious

david

I'm sure they will be numbered in the same way they were ordered.
As far as delivery, I see them being delivered 20 at a time......20 in March....... 20 in April.......... 20 in May and the rest in June.
Glad I'll be in the first 20.........  :humour:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: strawintogold on January 03, 2009, 07:45:37 AM

I think it's great to toss ideas around and see if you can get the extra you really wanted for YOUR guitar. Talk about what would be great, etc. But please, let's set aside any talk about changes to everyone's guitars. Some of us are just fine.

holly

I agree with Holly on this one 100%.  There were 60+ pages of discussion/voting/debating specifics of the guitar.  The base model was determined along with options.  More than 60 people then put down a down payment on a $1100-$1400 guitar.  These have now been ordered.  We each specified our wood choices and options.

If there were to be a "surprise", I would be very disappointed if ANYTHING on the guitar were changed without prior warning AND an option to reject the "surprise option".  For example, what if I hated snowflakes on guitars? (I don't...but if I did...)  That would be a huge disappointment to fork over that much money and then have a detail added after the fact against my will.  In other words, if this guitar were at a store, I wouldn't buy it based solely on the snowflakes.  

Since orders have been placed, it seems only fair that ONLY unanimously voted changes would be made.  And obviously, voting can't occur on a true surprise.

So, keeping in mind that we have no idea whether or not any surprise will happen anyway,  if it does...can we agree that there should be an "opt out" clause?

I'm thinking of an analogy of buying a house and the builder decides to surprise you by adding shutters to the windows, and it turns out that you don't like shutters.

If we get a surprise archtop case, that would be gravy, and if I didn't like it I could get rid of it.  But if I get snowflakes inlaid, I can't remove them.  (Sorry to keep picking on snowflakes...)

Perhaps much of this discussion has indeed been simply "tossing around ideas", and that no one has been assuming that any changes will be made unilaterally. If that's the case, I'm sorry I just wasted a few minutes of your day.  I certainly enjoy the discussion and the ideas.  I just got a bit nervous when it started to get implied that JCL might "throw in a surprise" change to the actual guitars.

I'm thankful for all of the work that's gone into this guitar, and that I have the resources to get one.  And, I'm excited to be a part of this FG3 group of forumites.

P
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)