Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: strawintogold on January 01, 2009, 09:06:19 AM
What? No guilt over an expensive purchase that you don't need and is just for you? I think you just broke through our  genetically ingrained  female guilt code. I salute you!  holly
Yeah, my wife broke through that code with THREE sewing machines (embroidery, quilter, serger; all by Pfaff).  Who needs 3 of them?   :?

Now, guitars, that's a different story...   :roll
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: strawintogold on January 01, 2009, 09:06:19 AM
What? No guilt over an expensive purchase that you don't need and is just for you? I think you just broke through our  genetically ingrained  female guilt code. I salute you!

holly

Ms. Holly... you're not helping. Just for me has nothing to do with it...in my opinion that's fine, especially since the husband is now talking about a $3,000 bass!

The tattoo on my arm with the lyrics "I sit at my table, and wage war on myself It seems like it's all... it's all for nothing." is my daily reminder that I need to stop beating myself up for everything. I think I have taken a very big step with this money thing.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: prof_stack on January 01, 2009, 09:12:38 AM
Yeah, my wife broke through that code with THREE sewing machines (embroidery, quilter, serger; all by Pfaff).  Who needs 3 of them?   :?

Now, guitars, that's a different story...   :roll

Can't help you out on this. I sold my Pfaff this summer to enable my mandolin purchase. Most women who are very involved in sewing either clothing, quilting or some other hobby have more than one machine.

However, that being said, I hope she doesn't give you grief for your guitars.

Yeah, my wife broke through that code with THREE sewing machines (embroidery, quilter, serger; all by Pfaff).  Who needs 3 of them?   :?

Sweetie,

All three of those machines do a differant thing. If you value your life do NOT tell her they all do the same thing. Because while guitars 'may' sound differant, they all do the same thing.

My husband learned the hard way that not all yarn/spinning wheels/looms/machines/dye/knitting needles do the same thing. Let's just say no man need that much education in the tactile arts unless he is a tactile artist.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on January 01, 2009, 09:30:41 AM
Sweetie, All three of those machines do a differant thing. If you value your life do NOT tell her they all do the same thing. Because while guitars 'may' sound differant, they all do the same thing.  My husband learned the hard way that not all yarn/spinning wheels/looms/machines/dye/knitting needles do the same thing. Let's just say no man need that much education in the tactile arts unless he is a tactile artist.  holly

Thanks Holly.  The good Mrs. Prof Stack educated me early on why she needed each machine.  I was just having fun in my posting.  Pretty impressive is the embroidery machine with computer screen and software updates for fancy pattern making. 

Her machines cost together more than the last 6 guitars I've bought, and these machines have NO resale value to brag about!  But the good wife does make some pretty nice stuff.  I wish I could make such pretty music.   :nana_guitar
Play it daily for best results.

Take heart, they do have decent resale value. You won't get more, but you won't get much less.

In fact, I'm sure you'll be thrilled to know that when she's really to upgrade she may be able to trade the old machine in. So it's not like really spending money....

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

I'm preparing to have "THE TALK" tonight with my wife (can you say procrastination?)  The smaller dimensions are much to my liking...I'm imaging this F3 could be the guitar I grow old(er) with.

I'm just drooling imagining how sweet that WHOLE HOG will sound after a decade of mellowing.  Add in that herringbone purfling... :drool:

Nick Drake...here I come! (I hope).

Oh...and Congrats Lynda.  We just might have to change your name to Larrie_Girl (especially after you buy that Silver Oak NEXT year  :wink:)

Penner (teetering on the fence)
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

The orders rollup has been updated. 

rw/is=15
Mah/IS=22
Hog/Hog=10

Herringbone Purfling = 21 
Venetian Cut-away = 5
Lefty = 4
Total orders = 47
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

My wife has that Pfaff embroiderer Professor!  After I found out the price tag on that sucker, I was wondering if it came with a set of tires, 4 on the floor, & air conditioning!  :wacko:

Believe me, I have no guilt about the Forum III!   :thumb

Quote from: Randy_R on January 01, 2009, 03:23:41 PM
The orders rollup has been updated. 

rw/is=15
Mah/IS=22
Hog/Hog=10

Herringbone Purfling = 21 
Venetian Cut-away = 5
Lefty = 4
Total orders = 47

Add one more Mah/IS, total 48 orders from the forum

rw/is=15
Mah/IS=23
Hog/Hog=10

Herringbone Purfling = 22 
Venetian Cut-away = 6
Lefty = 4
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: pennerblue on January 01, 2009, 02:28:14 PM
I'm preparing to have "THE TALK" tonight with my wife (can you say procrastination?)  The smaller dimensions are much to my liking...I'm imaging this F3 could be the guitar I grow old(er) with.

I'm just drooling imagining how sweet that WHOLE HOG will sound after a decade of mellowing.  Add in that herringbone purfling... :drool:

Nick Drake...here I come! (I hope).

Oh...and Congrats Lynda.  We just might have to change your name to Larrie_Girl (especially after you buy that Silver Oak NEXT year  :wink:)

Penner,

You have to order! Good luck with the wife. Larrie Girl... well I don't call myself Taylor Girl... Silver Oak.... love it, but no. Remember the Rickenbacker on order, which if my sixth sense is correct, will be here just in time for Christmas this year.

Let us know how the talk goes. Good luck.

Lynda

I'm pretty sure it's not a short scale.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: Randy_R on January 01, 2009, 04:22:25 PM
Add one more Mah/IS, total 48 orders from the forum

rw/is=15
Mah/IS=23
Hog/Hog=10

Herringbone Purfling = 22 
Venetian Cut-away = 6
Lefty = 4
rw/is=15
Mah/IS=23
Hog/Hog=11

Herringbone Purfling = 23 
Venetian Cut-away = 6
Lefty = 4
Total orders = 49

OK... who will be bold enough to place the 50th order?
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: pennerblue on January 01, 2009, 02:28:14 PM

Penner, you have until the closing hours of Jan 2. I hope the talk with Mrs. Penner will result in one more FG III order.

I myself am still mulling over whether or not to DROP the cutaway or KEEP the cutaway.   Like yourself, I'm imagining that this F3 would be the git I hope to pass on to my daughter when my guitar playing days are over - hopefully, that's when I'm really really old.

My Ami and OO are both non-cutaway 12-fretters, so while it is painful to fork out an extra $300 USD for cutaway, I'm thinking (hoping) this will be it... for many years.

Like lyric_girl turned Larri_girl Lynda, I too, am a closet (no, I think I'm out of the closet a while back) Taylor fan.  Since this Forum, I hardly look at Ebay anymore so I'm safe as far as GASing for Taylors.

But, if anyone is still reading this line, there are sweet deals to be had in the Vancouver Craigs List... DV-03R and OM-05MT in Canadian dollars, which is currently 75cents USD for every CDN peso.

ricky

All right...nothing like getting off the fence at the last minute, maybe it was that great new years eve jam session, or maybe it was the confirmed smaller dimensions, but who really cares....I'm number 50.

All hog, left-handed.

Mike

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on January 01, 2009, 06:12:45 PM
All right...nothing like getting off the fence at the last minute, maybe it was that great new years eve jam session, or maybe it was the confirmed smaller dimensions, but who really cares....I'm number 50.

All hog, left-handed.

Mike

WE HAVE Number 50

Herringbone Purfling = 23 
Venetian Cut-away = 6
Lefty = 5

rw/Is=15
Mah/Is=23
HogWild=12

Total orders = 50
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Yey... 50 !!!   My, my, my... that's my 550th... ricky

Maybe Larrivee will offer the short scale option.......?

ya.. that's me running away from all the flames of rejection...........
Jeffrey

Quote from: rpm60912 on January 01, 2009, 06:05:07 PM
Like lyric_girl turned Larri_girl Lynda, I too, am a closet (no, I think I'm out of the closet a while back) Taylor fan.  Since this Forum, I hardly look at Ebay anymore so I'm safe as far as GASing for Taylors.
ricky

Ricky, how could you? We're both now out of the closet! LOL

As much as I love the Taylor sound, I do not love the Taylor price. Since I'm being honest here, when I cancelled my order, I went back to the idea of purchasing a Taylor with bling. Well...that bling was gonna run me around a minimum of $3,000 and was likely gonna cost far more. My Rickenbacker isn't gonna cost that much. Yes, I realize that a Ric is a whole different animal, but it's still big bucks.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jeff... that Flames player must have a really sore butt by now  :laughin:  

Did the guy who tripped him get a penalty?  Haven't watched a game of hockey since the fall of the Oiler's dynasty and I missed the 7th Stanley Cup that the Oilers won in New York... when many of the Oilers players (and coaches) were wearing the NY Rangers' jersey.   Ooooopppps, did I just get myself in hot water?  :whistling:

ricky