Pages: 1 ... 80 [81] 82 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 201354 times)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1600 on: December 28, 2008, 07:39:25 PM »

I was going to post this earlier. But felt it was immaterial to what appears to be a great guitar being offered us from Larrivee.

My 1975 LS-09 12Fret neck.

11-1/4 upper bout
9-5/8 waist
14-3/4 lower bout
4" deep at end block (all measurements subject to 1/8" eyeball wobble)

So thats the true old style LS, and ours will be 3/8" wider at the waist and 1/2" wider at the lower bout.  I agree with Danny, nice dimensions. But I still think the Forum III is going to be special and will not look anything like an OM. A little different than your LS but still with nice curves.
BTW, nice guitar and I understand the eyeball wobble.  bigrin

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #1601 on: December 28, 2008, 09:31:56 PM »

What a great shot of the LS-09 12-fret!!

OK, I'm pumped up!

And out of the dog house too. Today is our 34th wedding anniversary and I shared with my wife a song written yesterday on my LSV-11E. She loved the song and I was able to illustrate the inspiration of a quality guitar and point out the alternate wood (mahogany) available on the FG III.

YEE PEE! Thanks, Ricky, for the usefull exuberant quote.

Norman

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1602 on: December 28, 2008, 09:44:36 PM »

OK, I'm pumped up!

And out of the dog house too. Today is our 34th wedding anniversary and I shared with my wife a song written yesterday on my LSV-11E. She loved the song and I was able to illustrate the inspiration of a quality guitar and point out the alternate wood (mahogany) available on the FG III.

Norman

34 years is a long time - many congratulations to you and the missus

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1603 on: December 28, 2008, 10:24:22 PM »

OK, I'm pumped up!

Norman

Norman,

Congratulations on your 34th anniversary and for getting yourself OUT of the doghouse.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1604 on: December 28, 2008, 10:35:54 PM »

Norman,

Congratulations on your 34th anniversary
                          gotpics?

Roger

hawkeye99

Ignore
« Reply #1605 on: December 29, 2008, 12:10:29 AM »

Hello everybody. First post but I've been a member for a little over a year after I bought a LV - 03R lefty. I guess I'm ready for another guitar. I'm going for the Italian Spruce with rosewood back and sides and left hand of course.The wait begins.
                                                         Robert. P

ianc

Ignore
« Reply #1606 on: December 29, 2008, 12:18:16 AM »

Hi Robert,
I too am  left handed.  I bought a right handed  OM 3 and had it switched  round to make it left. I have been considering buying the forum 111, I/S ,rosewood,possibly cutaway,and HB.  My only concern was the finish came in satin.
My OM 3 is gloss,so I guess I was spoiled.  I am going out on Monday to look at  some satin finishes to see if I can convince myself.

Ian
hawkeye99

Ignore
« Reply #1607 on: December 29, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »

Gloss would be nice but I also like the simplicity of satin.

Robert.
dazdarren

Ignore
« Reply #1608 on: December 29, 2008, 01:45:11 AM »

I've noticed that a lot of the members are jazzed about the Italian Spruce Top.  I believe that normally on the 3 series its a Canadian Sitka Spruce top?  What do people know about the Italian Spruce Top and its tonal qualities?  Sorry if this topic has already been covered in one of the 80 pages of threads. 

I'm thinking of putting my hat in the ring for one of these unique guitars but still trying to justify the bucks in the poor economy.  Thanks all who might be able to shed any light or history behind Italian Spruce. 
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1609 on: December 29, 2008, 01:48:36 AM »

Hi Robert,
I too am  left handed.  I bought a right handed  OM 3 and had it switched  round to make it left. I have been considering buying the forum 111, I/S ,rosewood,possibly cutaway,and HB.  My only concern was the finish came in satin.
My OM 3 is gloss,so I guess I was spoiled.  I am going out on Monday to look at  some satin finishes to see if I can convince myself.

Ian

Larrivee satin guitars are beautiful. If you go out to look at some make sure you look at Larrivee's, and picture a lighter top with herringbone.
I'm looking forward to having a Larrivee satin finish again, I'm sure I will be sassafied.

Roger

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1610 on: December 29, 2008, 02:00:48 AM »

I've noticed that a lot of the members are jazzed about the Italian Spruce Top.  I believe that normally on the 3 series its a Canadian Sitka Spruce top?  What do people know about the Italian Spruce Top and its tonal qualities?  Sorry if this topic has already been covered in one of the 80 pages of threads. 

I'm thinking of putting my hat in the ring for one of these unique guitars but still trying to justify the bucks in the poor economy.  Thanks all who might be able to shed any light or history behind Italian Spruce. 

Try doing a search in this forum only under Italian Spruce. I tried it and all the posts are there where this was discussed. In a nutshell, someone (I believe Dependan)  toured the plant and Jean showed him his prized Italian Spruce that he said was special. We requested it on the Forum III and were told yes.

Roger

aardvark

Ignore
« Reply #1611 on: December 29, 2008, 02:15:43 AM »

I found this regarding Italian spruce,

European spruce (Picea Abies)typically from Germany or Italy. There are several names for this wood such as Alpine Spruce; German Spruce, Silver Spruce or Italian Spruce. What ever it is called, it is perhaps the best all around wood for classicals. Often used on premium priced acoustics from custom luthiers. At a recent luthier’s convention, four top classical makers in a panel agreed that they have the best results with European Spruce! The characteristic of this wood is to contribute a noble tone with shimmering trebles and good strong basses……..but you have to pay your dues. This wood takes time to play in and it can slowly mature over a period of years until it will match anything that Cedar or Englemann can do and excel them in overall quality.

Personally I don't care too much what the guitar looks like, I just want a good fingerstyle guitar.  I have a couple decent guitars now (Martin 000-15 and Collings OM2h), but I'm looking for something just a bit different, I think this guitar will fill the bill, and at a reasonable cost.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1612 on: December 29, 2008, 02:39:37 AM »

Try doing a search in this forum only under Italian Spruce. I tried it and all the posts are there where this was discussed. In a nutshell, someone (I believe Dependan)  toured the plant and Jean showed him his prized Italian Spruce that he said was special. We requested it on the Forum III and were told yes.

I have said this before, so forgive me those of you who have read it in the back pages. When JCL showed me the "IS" tops his enthusiasm was clearly very high. He said it was cut in 1972 I believe.
                Watching and listening to him while he showed me the "IS" and posed with a top piece so I could take a picture left an impression on me that this was some very special stash.
  I never thought that I would be ordering a custom Larrivee made with a top out of that stash, and I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #1613 on: December 29, 2008, 03:02:06 AM »

Hi Robert,
........  My only concern was the finish came in satin.

Ian
welcome  to the LLGF............  Larrivée Lunatic Guitar Fourm     wacko

Your OM-03 started out life as a satin and if it is now gloss, it was polished by a previous owner.
I have never heard of an -03 series Larrivée that came glossed from the factory.

With that, you have the option to polish the satin F-III guitar to your preference.

ds   

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1614 on: December 29, 2008, 06:41:55 AM »

Here's Jean Larrivee with Italian Spruce in his hand. Maybe it will be the one that winds up on my F-3.

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1615 on: December 29, 2008, 09:37:54 AM »

I've read as much as I can about JCL and the guitars he makes, and certanly get the impression that he cares more, or certainly puts more of his effort into finding, the very best in tonewoods compared to other manufacturers.  I trust the fact that he was so excited about this Italian Spruce, and expect it to be special.  Tonewoods have been his life's work, so I would wager that there may be nobody better qualified to say what is good or not, even those who write the websites that people have quoted.

I have said before that if Danny hadn't known about this, or suggested it for use on the Froum III, this guitar wouldn't be so special.  I also believe that if the IS wasn't likely to produce an impressive guitar with the LS 12 fret body, then JCL wouldn't have offered to use it.  I suspect these will be the only 03 models ever made with this material.

I also think that this body style may be offered again, given the support for the forum III.  JCL originally agreed subject to a minimum of 10 orders.  It looks like that will now be c.60 orders.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1616 on: December 29, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »

Your post is exactly what I was saying. Thanks for measuring the OM. And thanks to Tad and the others that understand this is a difference. Not that we will get anywhere but it never hurts to ask.

And "ask" we shall.

Just getting caught up with all the recent post about varying measurements between old LS and FGIII.

Were we so excited about the 4" depth - that we're only paying attention to the wider 10" waste, 1/4" more in the lower bout?

I know Jim will likely be reading this.

While 1/4" difference may not be much of a big deal to many, we decided early on that what is now the FGIII will have the LS specs of 1997
(wasn't it mary who posted that)  ----   does that have a 10" waste and 1/4" bigger in upper & lower bout?

Agreed --- this FG III is special for all the wood choices, cooperative effort, JCL signature, etc.

I do hope we can have some assurance that the FG III will be a "smaller" LS as opposed to the slightly larger dimensions.

We got our 4" depth; we might as well request / ask that the FG III be built closer to original out-of-production LS specs.

ricky

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1617 on: December 29, 2008, 10:36:19 AM »

Today is our 34th wedding anniversary and I shared with my wife a song written yesterday on my LSV-11E. She loved the song and I was able to illustrate the inspiration of a quality guitar and point out the alternate wood (mahogany) available on the FG III.

Norman

Norman - Happy 34th Anniv !!!   Good for you for being out of the dog house.

Had our 21st Anniv on Dec 26.   I joked about bringing the OO-09 with me to the hotel; she just gave me one look and now I know how our dog feels when she's in trouble. So I wisely left the git and paid attention to my wife all night long at the dinner and show ( that's a lie... I also paid attention to and really enjoyed looking at the 2 guitarists in the band switching between 3 guitars each and their superb playing ).

I told my wife her Christmas gift to me is not going to be ready until Spring 2009, it helped that I told her the story about how my curious question led to what is now the FG III.   Sweeeeet !!!

ricky
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1618 on: December 29, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »

Congratulations ricky and mrs ricky.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1619 on: December 29, 2008, 01:18:50 PM »

Just want to say  welcome and congrats to "Cheridan"

Wood : Italian Spruce/Mahogany
Name : Daniel Maisonneuve
E-mail : danmaison@hotmail.com
Options : none
Direct shipping in Canada
Deposit sent to Jim

"My very first Larrivée! Thanks to all who make this dream come true. "

Very  nice guitar for a 1st Larrivee       Danny

Pages: 1 ... 80 [81] 82 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: