Pages: 1 ... 78 [79] 80 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 201854 times)
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #1560 on: December 27, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »

I read through the old thread and clearly see your point.  So, how did the forum LS get bigger? 

Perhaps it is something to do with the factory?

I have not committed to a forum guitar yet, due to funds.  I am find with either size.

david

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1561 on: December 27, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

It's the size we got back from Larrivee via Jim Holler with Trinity Guitars I believe.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #1562 on: December 27, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »

maybe it makes a better all around guitar, since that is what people were looking for.... finger-style/ strummer

my bet it has something to do with the factory set-up, but I have no knowledge on how to make a guitar.... and not much more in how to play a guitar rolleye

This does get me thinking.  I have a OM-2 with hog back and sides.  The 12 fretter, body shape, Italian spruce should make it sound/ play different from my OM, but this makes me move more and more towards the all hog.  I am just looking for something "special" in a guitar, that quality that is hard to describe.  The heart and soul of an instrument that makes you want to play more.

I am running out of time and Christmas was a BIG expense this year, it takes a bit to get theses funds together.  I would hate to miss this one...

david

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1563 on: December 27, 2008, 03:20:27 PM »

"Standard LS"                   "Forum III LS"
      15"           lower bout           15.25"
      11"           upper bout           11.25"
       9.75"          waist              10"
       4"             depth               4"

Aren't we just looking at 1/4 of an inch difference here?  If I'm reading it correctly, that's pretty insignificant.

Play it daily for best results.
rising1000

Ignore
« Reply #1564 on: December 27, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »

does this new forum guitar
1. come with a bone nut
2. come with a bone compensated saddle

3  drop shipped in canada means dropper where  toronto  twelth fret???

norman b 30
larrivee 09 rosewood
larrivee o3 m
ca cargo raw
kustom 35 keyboard amp
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1565 on: December 27, 2008, 03:32:29 PM »

1. come with a bone nut

Welome to the forum newbie, you are getting involved at the right time.

The person handling the order is Jim Holler at Trinity Guitars, that is where you would order a Forum III.  The nut is Tusc, the saddle is upgraded to bone free of charge by Jim Holler, drop ship for Canada means it will ship directly from Larrivee Vancouver to your house.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1566 on: December 27, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »

Aren't we just looking at 1/4 of an inch difference here?  If I'm reading it correctly, that's pretty insignificant.

There is very little difference in dimension between a L and a D but it is significant enough to some people.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1567 on: December 27, 2008, 03:57:57 PM »

The size difference is not terribly significant, except that initially we were also considering the 00, which is considerably smaller and already a 12 fretter. If you compare the new LS to the OM, you will find it even closer to that size. For many of us, the hope was for something larger than the 00 for a fuller sound, but definitely smaller than the OM, with a shallower body depth, max 4".  As nice as a 12 fret OM is, I was truly hoping for a small- bodied L, for all the same reasons people argue about the OM vs L size. The proportions and ratios of the L are uniquely Larrivee, and to try and shrink this shape down into a smaller package with a 12 fret neck, was my goal. The early LSVs were like this, except they also had a short scale, which has been nixed from this guitar due to cost. The LSVs seemed to grow slightly in size as time went by, which is the concern for this Forum guitar - it is the much older, smaller body size that many of us want.

I will emphasize the importance of this smaller body to Jim and to the factory, and since each one is somewhat hand-built, I will ask that they send me 2 of the smallest in the run, if they can.

Yes, 2 - I've decided I cannot decide - I want the IS/RW as the replacement for my LSV-11, and a IS/hog as a potential replacement for my 00, plus I have never had a larger body hog Larrivee, other than my hog top Forum 1 ( which is the only reason I am not considering the hog/hog F3 ). Due to the unique circumstances of this opportunity, and these are the largest small body 12 fretters I think we'll ever get out of Larrivee (especially at this price), I've decided to be a little extravagant, and worry about paying the piper when the bill is due. I am not getting any cutaways, or fancy trim, just to keep the cost to the minimum, though. Nice, basic, -03 series players -  what got me into the Larrivee camp in the first place - sorta like running around in a circle.

We'll keep out fingers crossed and see what the factory sends out, eh?

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1568 on: December 27, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »

Again, you must consider that the specs will not be exact and the finished product will be a variance from these because of certain procedures in the build that are done by "hand". THUS, if you start out larger, you can end up EVEN larger. That is my point and I have had it happen to me with the 2 LS guitars that I owned. One was the smaller size, the other was not much different than the current OM. Is that clearer?
    If it truly was, or is only 1/4'' then it is not much, but on Larrivee's website there is a disclaimer which states that the size will vary according to the "builder" ie. the man making the body. They use different words , but in principal that is the disclaimer. And it is understandable. If it was a totally computerized process all of them would be exactly the same, but some items are not done by CNC devices.
                           Nuff said by me,   It will be a nice instrument for sure in any case.      Danny

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1569 on: December 27, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »

1. come with a bone nut

If Jim Holler recieves it at Trinity He will make a bone saddle. The nut is tusq I believe unless JCL surprises us.  Drop shipped is directly to you, by-passing Trinity Guitars and the need to cross the border twice.

es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1570 on: December 27, 2008, 04:23:40 PM »

1. come with a bone nut

1. Tusq nut
2. It will come with a bone saddle supported by Jim Holler at Trinity Guitars.
3. drop shipped in Canada is possible, but you won't get the bone saddle since the guitar will by-pass Jim Holler

Jeffrey

goa

Ignore
« Reply #1571 on: December 27, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »

1. The LS body how does it compare to an OM body?
2. The guitar itself is it more of a finger style guitar or moderate strummer as well or both? What's the action like on a guitar like this? heavier strings higher action typically or anything goes?
3. What type of after market electronics could be fitted in this guitar? I record..
4. Of all the guitars on Larrivee's site what one would this most resemble and headstock similarities etc.. (I need to see it)
5. Is this a wicked deal...once in a blue moon opportunity type thing ..you know a chance to own an equivalent of several thousand dollar spec guitar for a fraction of the price?
6. If I walk into my local music shop (longandmcquade) what could I play that would give a good feel for what I would be purchasing?

Hi PSP, I have much of the same questions, but the answers are here, mostly. 

#1 answered the last several postings.
#2 Both
#3 I believe the Larrivee end pin is/will be drilled to accept a 1/4 inch jack.  I've used the K&K Mini Western to good success. 
#4 - don't know
#5 - This is the one I was most interested in.  With the prices being raised at least %25 this year, I don't think any Larrivee is the "killer deal" it was when I bought mine a year ago.  If you check prices from online dealers, I think you'll find this one is slightly cheaper than a comparable OM-03 or L-03.  The Italian spruce would cost a premium. Having a "custom" also. 
#6 I defer to the experts.

I'm still trying to decide myself. 
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #1572 on: December 27, 2008, 07:49:25 PM »

Again, you must consider that the specs will not be exact and the finished product will be a variance from these because of certain procedures in the build that are done by "hand". THUS, if you start out larger, you can end up EVEN larger. That is my point and I have had it happen to me with the 2 LS guitars that I owned. One was the smaller size, the other was not much different than the current OM. Is that clearer?
    If it truly was, or is only 1/4'' then it is not much, but on Larrivee's website there is a disclaimer which states that the size will vary according to the "builder" ie. the man making the body. They use different words , but in principal that is the disclaimer. And it is understandable. If it was a totally computerized process all of them would be exactly the same, but some items are not done by CNC devices.
                           Nuff said by me,   It will be a nice instrument for sure in any case.      Danny

I wonder if they still have the molds, etc. for the smaller LS?  I am with you 100% that I was hoping and dreaming of a smaller-bodied LS, that is very much like a classical in appearance and feel.  The LS as is now dimensioned for us should feel like a slightly shallow bodied OM - it's basically an OM sized instrument with a wider waist (how that will feel I am quite curious to find out) and a very unique rounded shape.  And I think 1/4 inch makes a significant difference in this instrument, within the context of what we were trying to go for originally, e.g., I was one of the folks dreaming about an 03 style OO guitar, but was eventually won over by it being 1) an LS "shape", 2) 12 fret and 3) Italian spruce top.  It's going to be sweet with either dimension, but I do wonder if it makes any difference to Vancouver to make it to the older, smaller LS shape.

Scott

RS-2
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #1573 on: December 27, 2008, 09:53:38 PM »

The Larger LS size is why I stopped looking at this F-3.
When the size was smaller, it was exciting to think I could get a Larrivee about the size if my Seagull Folk
Its a great size...    14.76 " lower bout.   oh well...Still have my all hog 12 fret, so I am not too left out.   

Welome to the forum newbie, you are getting involved at the right time.  ...

Bluesman67,
just FYI,   rising1000 has been a forum member longer than you have...  

If you put your mouse pointer on a members name, there is a line at the bottom of the page that ends with a 'U=###'
That number is the sequential number assigned when you join the forum..   ie my number is 1688.   Newest is 6970...

ds   

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #1574 on: December 27, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »

This discussion about size is interesting as I'm still on the fence about this one even as the clock ticks down toward the January 2nd deadline.

I recently picked up an OMV-09 which is a very sweet guitar and has beautifully balanced tone and incredible sustain. Not the strongest in the bass but it is a smaller bodied guitar which is what I was looking for in one intended primarily for fingerpicking.

The actual measurements are:

lower bout - 15 1/4"
waist - 9 5/8"
upper bout - 11 1/2" (without the cutaway, I measured from the non-cutaway side to the middle of the neck and multiplied by 2)
depth 4 3/8"

These dimensions don't seem far off the Forum III specs - it's the possible sound of hog on hog and the 12 fret neck that remain intriguing to me.

And for my fellow lefties, if I jump in I guess that's gonna make two of us in whichever wood combination. Haven't decided about the cutaway but I'd pass on the purfling

Decisions, decisions.

Mike
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1575 on: December 27, 2008, 11:43:38 PM »

This discussion about size is interesting as I'm still on the fence about this one even as the clock ticks down toward the January 2nd deadline.

I recently picked up an OMV-09 which is a very sweet guitar and has beautifully balanced tone and incredible sustain. Not the strongest in the bass but it is a smaller bodied guitar which is what I was looking for in one intended primarily for fingerpicking.

lower bout - 15 1/4"
waist - 9 5/8"
upper bout - 11 1/2" (without the cutaway, I measured from the non-cutaway side to the middle of the neck and multiplied by 2)
depth 4 3/8"

These dimensions don't seem far off the Forum III specs - it's the possible sound of hog on hog and the 12 fret neck that remain intriguing to me.

And for my fellow lefties, if I jump in I guess that's gonna make two of us in whichever wood combination. Haven't decided about the cutaway but I'd pass on the purfling

Decisions, decisions.

Mike
Your post is exactly what I was saying. Thanks for measuring the OM. And thanks to Tad and the others that understand this is a difference. Not that we will get anywhere but it never hurts to ask.

L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #1576 on: December 28, 2008, 12:39:30 AM »

lower bout - 15 1/4"
waist - 9 5/8"
depth 4 3/8"

Decisions, decisions.

Mike

I'll just add in my OM-03MT's measurements, since it's just sitting out next to me:

upper bout:  11 5/8"
waist:    9 1/2"
lower bout:  15 3/8"

FWIW...

Scott

RS-2
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1577 on: December 28, 2008, 12:50:27 AM »

I'll just add in my OM-03MT's measurements, since it's just sitting out next to me:

upper bout:  11 5/8"
waist:    9 1/2"
lower bout:  15 3/8"

FWIW...

Mine is exactly the same. 

Depth at end pin is 4 5/16"

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #1578 on: December 28, 2008, 12:53:04 AM »

Mine is exactly the same. 

Depth at end pin is 4 5/16"

Oh yeah, I forgot the depth:

4 1/4" at endpin

Scott

RS-2
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1579 on: December 28, 2008, 12:53:25 AM »

Okay, the Forum III LS-03 dimensions are set:  15.25 , 10.00 , 11.25".  But what is the body length going to be?

I'm curious what dimensions people have in mind who are saying that the III is too large for them, and perhaps that it is too close to being an OM with 4" depth.

Play it daily for best results.
Pages: 1 ... 78 [79] 80 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: