Pages: 1 ... 77 [78] 79 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 201954 times)
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #1540 on: December 25, 2008, 01:41:00 AM »

This is a big problem drool

I am hot on the trail of C-09 AND a Koa Martin...now I have to add the Forum III to my GAS list.
Tough decisions ahead for me... :

Wow, those are tough choices.  As much as I am excited about the FIII, I would be hard pressed to make the purchase if I thought it would take away my chance to get a C-09.  But these are the kind of problems that call for "creative" solutions.  E.g., somehow get as many of the options as possible, some how, some way....

Scott

RS-2
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1541 on: December 25, 2008, 03:25:43 AM »

GOOD NEWS   /   BAD NEWS  DEPT.

Well, since it's Christmas Eve. and I think Mrs. Tuffythepug might be a good humor this evening I decided to let the cat out of the bag re: the forum III guitar.   .....  Approached the subject gingerly hinting about what a great thread I've been a part of here;  and how much fun everyone had designing and spec'ing the "perfect" forum III guitar.  and  how great it was that Jim Holler and Jean Larrivee are playiing along with our little game, and so on.    I hadn't even mentioned one word about this to her in all this time we've been discussing it here.  I was just about to ease into the fact that I've placed my order when she looks me straight in the eye and says "So what are you gonna sell to pay for it ?"
Good news:  I don't have to keep a secret any longer and she's excited about the new guitar (my 11th total: 4th Larrivee.  Bad News:  Somethings gotta go.   Watch the 4 sale section for some electrics that will be looking for new homes.  Lefties, of course.

Tuffythepug

Any acoustics???

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1542 on: December 25, 2008, 03:44:19 AM »

Any acoustics???

Not unless you count my Ephiphone "Joe Pass" signature hollow-body electric  bigrin
You can play it acoustically but it's a shame to not take advantage of the new Seymour Duncan humbuckers I had put in it.  I'm sure it's not what you'd be interested in.  The only other acoustic which may go would be, surprisiingly either an L-10 or a Guild GAD JF-30 Jumbo.  If the new forum III lives up to my expectations I may decide to let the L-10 go.  I got it from Bhika and it's not had a lot of playing time in competition with the OM-03R and the new 000-50MT.   Would you be interested in any of the things I've mentioned ?   A Carvin TL-60 solid walnut tele-style is probably gonna be on the block too.

Tuffythepug
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1543 on: December 25, 2008, 04:06:48 AM »

Tuffy,

Congratulations on getting that news out, but sorry you will have to lose one to gain the forum git. However, it will be worth it.

Lynda

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1544 on: December 25, 2008, 04:37:48 AM »

Not unless you count my Ephiphone "Joe Pass" signature hollow-body electric  bigrin
You can play it acoustically but it's a shame to not take advantage of the new Seymour Duncan humbuckers I had put in it.  I'm sure it's not what you'd be interested in.  The only other acoustic which may go would be, surprisiingly either an L-10 or a Guild GAD JF-30 Jumbo.  If the new forum III lives up to my expectations I may decide to let the L-10 go.  I got it from Bhika and it's not had a lot of playing time in competition with the OM-03R and the new 000-50MT.   Would you be interested in any of the things I've mentioned ?   A Carvin TL-60 solid walnut tele-style is probably gonna be on the block too.

Tuffythepug
How bout the "Gospel" You don't play that one a lot do you? I know It's your deal and I should be quiet.   Thanks for your thoughts re: my son.
                         Wish Blue wasn't so blue....or we all had a little more green.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Nmbr5

Ignore
« Reply #1545 on: December 25, 2008, 04:40:27 AM »

Wow, those are tough choices.  As much as I am excited about the FIII, I would be hard pressed to make the purchase if I thought it would take away my chance to get a C-09.  But these are the kind of problems that call for "creative" solutions.  E.g., somehow get as many of the options as possible, some how, some way....

The only thing that keeps me from the C-09 is a terrible bidding war.  That leaves a Koa Martin vs. the Forum III.  If I lose the battle for the C-09 I am lucky to be able to fall back on the Forum III and Marty to get me through  

Ovation Celebrity CC57
Epiphone Joe Pas Emperor II
Martin DCX1E
Larrivee D-03-12R
Larrivee C-10 (1997)
Larrivee J-09 (1994)
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1546 on: December 25, 2008, 05:03:41 AM »

Nice gibby on your sig Danny!

Jeffrey

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1547 on: December 25, 2008, 05:09:33 AM »

Nice gibby on your sig Danny!
  Thanks Jeff, it doesn't get much play time by me, but my G-son and others play it. The neck is too narrow for me. I'll capo it on 3 and play sometimes. Or just barre chord a hymn or two. btw it fits in my 00 case very nicely.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1548 on: December 25, 2008, 06:42:18 AM »

How bout the "Gospel" You don't play that one a lot do you? I know It's your deal and I should be quiet.   Thanks for your thoughts re: my son.
                         Wish Blue wasn't so blue....or we all had a little more green.

Danny
I got out the Gibson Gospel and put some new strings on it;  can't even remember the last time I changed strings on it.  Went with a little bit brighter string than normal.  I gotta tell ya I can't bring myself to let it go.  I've had it for 15 years and it's got some battle scars and it's in need of a fret job but dang it still sounds so good.  It's the only dred. I've got now too.  I think the Gospel and my ES-335 will be the Gibsons that end up staying forever.  Since I find myself playing acoustic 90% of the time it makes no sense to keep 4 electric guitars.   The ES-335 and the Strat are sufficient for my purposes.

Tuffythepug
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1549 on: December 25, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »

Since I find myself playing acoustic 90% of the time it makes no sense to keep 4 electric guitars.   The ES-335 and the Strat are sufficient for my purposes.

I'm down to one electric too. And it rarely gets plugged in. Guess what mine is....yup you guessed. A 335!

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1550 on: December 26, 2008, 05:59:13 PM »

Okay, let's rev this thread a little.

I emailed and got a response from Jim H about the cutaway.  He's the man.  Here's the question for discussion: 

How will the cutaway affect the overall tone and volume of the guitar?

Play it daily for best results.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1551 on: December 26, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »

Well it isn't going to help it.  Plus if you don't get one, you get more guitar for less money. 

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1552 on: December 26, 2008, 06:07:45 PM »

Well it isn't going to help it.  Plus if you don't get one, you get more guitar for less money. 

This may need to be measured to be confirmed, but I think you may get an extra centimeter of herringbone purfling with the cutaway...   

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1553 on: December 26, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »

I've tallied the orders in the Order thread and have come up with the following numbers:

Herringbone Purling = 21 or 22 (have a msg in to one member)
Venetian Cut-away = 5
Lefty = 3
Total orders = 42
RW/IS=13
Hog/IS=21
Hog/Hog=8

Will reconcile numbers with Jim Holler.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
TimButterfield

Ignore
« Reply #1554 on: December 26, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »

Randy,

You can drop one off your numbers.  I found out some things that will make what I was hoping to do very difficult.  I hadn't thought of this before or I wouldn't have ordered.  The greater sustain of steel strings will interfere with the greater harmonic complexity of classical music (beyond the beginner level).  As my preferred music type is classical guitar, my next instrument should further that.  For other music types, the two Larrivees I already have should more than suffice.  I know I will regret this, but I am  dropping out.

Tim

2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)
psp

Ignore
« Reply #1555 on: December 27, 2008, 06:43:41 AM »

New here and trying to wrap my head around this project. relatively new to Larrivee guitars as well even though i have lived in Vancouver BC most of my life. I would be interested as i have about $1000 to spend. I was looking for an OM or a parlor and wasa bout to spend about 1200-1400CDN until I came across this unique opportunity. A few questions if someone would be so polite;

1. The LS body how does it compare to an OM body?
2. The guitar itself is it more of a finger style guitar or moderate strummer as well or both? What's the action like on a guitar like this? heavier strings higher action typically or anything goes?
3. What type of after market electronics could be fitted in this guitar? I record..
4. Of all the guitars on Larrivee's site what one would this most resemble and headstock similarities etc.. (I need to see it)
5. Is this a wicked deal...once in a blue moon opportunity type thing ..you know a chance to own an equivalent of several thousand dollar spec guitar for a fraction of the price?
6. If I walk into my local music shop (longandmcquade) what could I play that would give a good feel for what I would be purchasing?

thank you kindly. I was trying to go through the 78 pages of discussion but..its late..you know drool
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #1556 on: December 27, 2008, 06:53:49 AM »

This should get you started

http://randyrick.us/guitars/LarriveeSpecs.htm

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1557 on: December 27, 2008, 07:13:15 AM »

I was browsing through the 12th fret Larrivee postings and found this on current LS specs. at least on their site.

"LS" Body

15" lower bout
                                                                     11" upper bout
                                                                      9 3/4" waist
                                                                      4" depth
                              These are the specs. that Tadol had when we began the first thread that led to this forum
                                              III guitar. But the specs. we have been given are slightly larger.
                              I'm not belly aching here, but I've talked to Tad and others via posts, phone calls and e-mail
                  and I know that what we wanted from the start was this LS, and not the later larger model. So if by
                    some means this could still be realized I think we have what we asked for from the start.
                          If not at least we have the 4'' depth and the others will hopefully not be "over" by much.
                             The LS is not an OM and in my view should not be made to almost the same specs.
                                                  Respectfully,     Danny 

iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #1558 on: December 27, 2008, 07:31:01 AM »

I was browsing through the 12th fret Larrivee postings and found this on current LS specs. at least on their site.

"LS" Body

15" lower bout
                                                                     11" upper bout
                                                                      9 3/4" waist
                                                                      4" depth
                              These are the specs. that Tadol had when we began the first thread that led to this forum
                                              III guitar. But the specs. we have been given are slightly larger.
                              I'm not belly aching here, but I've talked to Tad and others via posts, phone calls and e-mail
                  and I know that what we wanted from the start was this LS, and not the later larger model. So if by
                    some means this could still be realized I think we have what we asked for from the start.
                          If not at least we have the 4'' depth and the others will hopefully not be "over" by much.
                             The LS is not an OM and in my view should not be made to almost the same specs.
                                                  Respectfully,     Danny 

I think I got lost in all the posts, but I see what you mean.  Except for the depth it looks like this LS is about 1/4 inch bigger all around.  The body shape is very different than an OM and I would think it would sound more balanced, however I have never played an LS.  Do you think there is an advantage to the slightly smaller body?  I kind of like the idea of a lightly bigger body LS. I would like to hear you thoughts on it

I see the final specs as:

LS body style steel string
 Body depth: 4"
 Upper bout: 11-1/4”
 Lower bout: 15-1/4”
 Waist: 10”
 Overall Length 40”
 Scale Length 25.5” (standard scale)
 Nut width 1-3/4”

david

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1559 on: December 27, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »

Some will of course share the view that larger is better. But my post is just to point out we were going for something smaller at first. Even a 00 was mentioned. We chose the small bodied LS from those two. The 00 would have been much smaller in specs.
    The LS in what I call "true" LS specs is the smaller size.
    When you are given larger specs to start with, the final specs can be even larger.
    Which comes very close to an OM in the current Larrivee line up.
    We were wanting something no longer available, comfortable to play while seated,
      (shoulder issues etc.)
                              A OM Larrivee is available at anytime in many tonewoods and styles, New and used.
          (Unless you are a lefty)

The body shape has been shown by Tadol, next to an OM and it is not much different, especially if it is made
larger. In the smaller size it matches a Classical guitar in size and shape on the body, the neck is standard steel string though with 12 frets to the body, allowing the bridge to be centered in the lower bout producing deeper tones. I think this guitar will be somewhat bright, but suprisingly full of volume and richer than many will expect in the IS top. If you check more have chosen mahogany and IS than other tonewood choices. I have as well and this could be part of the reason. Beyond the fact that mahogany in a 3 series is not being made any longer.

I believe the larger specs would give a slight improvement in sound, but the thicker waist and the chance of the larger specs going even larger in the hand made process are not something I would like to see happen to mine. I really wanted an LS and I don't want an OM sized guitar with even a thicker waist. Otherwise we would have chosen an OM with a 4'' depth and been better off due to the tighter waist. But OM's are not "unavailable".

This all started with Ricky's thread on ORPHANED LARRI"S that can be found in a link on Randy's initial post of this thread. This thread is a continuation of a "solid" process that took root in that thread, as it became clear that this could be much more than just another attempt at a forum guitar.

Here is a link to that thread
          http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=23989.0

Pages: 1 ... 77 [78] 79 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: