Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: strawintogold on December 23, 2008, 07:05:45 AM
Ricky,

You shouldn't be getting anything you need to feel better about. While I don't think anyone should limit themselves because they 'aren't good enough to do whatever' if you are finding yourself having to justify the $300 then perhaps it's $300 better spent elsewhere. As part of your Ministry, for example, like a guitar tithing.

Not telling you what to do, of course, just sensing a little guilt over what you conside extravagance which I totally understand. I always tithe a portion of any large purchase. It helps me keep my perspective and fell good at the same time.

holly

holly...  You're a straight shooter and I like that.  I've always admired your humor and points of view.   

I frankly have never looked at large purchases that way, thanks for broadening the way I look at the horizon.   (This is another discussion altogether.)

deep from my gut... Thanks!!!

ricky

Quote from: Randy_R on December 23, 2008, 09:22:32 AM
There's also a certain mojo factor that comes along with the Forum Guitar that one normally wouldn't get from an guitar shop shelf model.

Randy... or anyone?  Please educate me.    I've been hearing about "mojo" since getting into the acoustic guitar world.   There's a store in Bellingham, WA "Mojo's Music" so I thought that was just a store.

Obviously not.   So please define MOJO  (sorry for the dumb question... but I'm still learning as I go here...)

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 23, 2008, 01:18:24 PM
Randy... or anyone?  Please educate me.    I've been hearing about "mojo" since getting into the acoustic guitar world.   There's a store in Bellingham, WA "Mojo's Music" so I thought that was just a store.

Obviously not.   So please define MOJO  (sorry for the dumb question... but I'm still learning as I go here...)

ricky

ricky, have you seen those old Gibsons and Martins with all the finish gone from around the pickguard?  Deep grooves go into the top from where the pick has scraped across it, dents, dings, scratches all over...those are guitars that have mojo...

and in the Austin Powers movies, at one point, Dr Evil steals Austin's mojo, his reason to be aroused? 

And finally, from Websters:   magical power <works his mojo on the tennis court>

Quote from: Denis on December 23, 2008, 01:25:27 PM
ricky, have you seen those old Gibsons and Martins with all the finish gone from around the pickguard?  Deep grooves go into the top from where the pick has scraped across it, dents, dings, scratches all over...those are guitars that have mojo...

and in the Austin Powers movies, at one point, Dr Evil steals Austin's mojo, his reason to be aroused? 

And finally, from Websters:   magical power <works his mojo on the tennis court>

Aaahhhhh.... "mojo"   -    magic, charm, character, that intangible essential quality,   .................. did I get it?

Thanks Denis...   please keep playing music my friend.   I'd love to buy your CD and weren't you selling notes or some kind of written arrangement for your pieces?

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 23, 2008, 01:29:11 PM

Aaahhhhh.... "mojo"   -    magic, charm, character, that intangible essential quality,   .................. did I get it?

Thanks Denis...   please keep playing music my friend.   I'd love to buy your CD and weren't you selling notes or some kind of written arrangement for your pieces?

ricky

Yes ricky, that sounds very accurate...I have the tabs for Samuel and After the Battle that are both on the CD...which still haven't arrived at CD Baby in Portland OR after I shipped them nearly a month ago.  Canada Post had told me 11 business days...well past that.  Tracking numbers from Canada to the US are sketchy at best...not sure who's fault that is, probably both!  In the meantime, I have been selling cds locally at work, my last gig, to friends...giving many away as a stocking stuffer as well.  If anyone out there really wants a copy, I guess I could always ship them myself??

Mojo..?
I think it's guitars that show their life on them: every ding means something, every scar tells a story, every pick mark spins a symphony.

Look at Willie Nelson's beloved "friend"(what he would call the guitar)
Willie Nelson calls his N-20 "Trigger" because to him it's not just an instrument, it's a faithful old friend.  And that's why it's got mojo.

One of my favourite videos on Youtube is Paul Weller singing English Rose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhXd3rVVcKM&feature=channel_page

now... his got mojo..
Jeffrey

Quote from: Blue in VT on December 23, 2008, 10:37:59 AM
Did you read this part of my post? ...many folks have worked amazingly hard on this and I give credit where credit is due...just tremendous effort on this project....we tried this whole process a year and a half ago or so...and no one of Ricky's caliber stepped forward to lead the show....so it fell apart.

Yeah I've sold a tone of stuff lately....here and else where....but thats being used to purchase presents for freinds and family...not for myself.

and while I'm concerned about hurting peoples feelings....NOT my intention....their suffering will be tempered in a couple of months with a great new guitar... :nana_guitar....many others will not

Cheers,
Blue

Blue and holly...

I can assure you, no hurt feelings here.   I sometimes wish that the timing indeed was at a later date.   Like in Spring 2009 start date, and pick up by July 2009 - so Vancouver is drivable and we won't have to worry about shipping guitars across our frigid continent - you know, finish checking issues.

Then again, there are those who just want this guitar... yesterday!!!   Or those, like me, with a terrible repetitive incurable case of GAS.

ricky  :wave

Quote from: es-335 on December 23, 2008, 01:33:24 PM
Mojo..?
I think it's guitars that show their life on them: every ding means something, every scar tells a story, every pick mark spins a symphony.

Look at Willie Nelson's beloved "friend"(what he would call the guitar)
Willie Nelson calls his N-20 "Trigger" because to him it's not just an instrument, it's a faithful old friend.  And that's why it's got mojo.

One of my favourite videos on Youtube is Paul Weller singing English Rose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhXd3rVVcKM&feature=channel_page

now... his got mojo..

that's mojo to the extreme!!!!

Quote from: Denis on December 23, 2008, 01:34:11 PM
that's mojo to the extreme!!!!

I wouldn't mind Willie Nelson's money. I don't care for his guitars... in that case, I'll have mine with NO mojo, thanks !!!

They sure have character...  thanks for the clarification and pictures Jeff --- (worth a thousand words as they say)...

Denis... I'll  PM you about the CD.

ricky

Ricky,

PM received,
I'll get back to you by tonight.
Thanks

Jeff
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 23, 2008, 01:33:24 PM
Mojo..?

I like the extra sound hole!!!
Do you refer to that as a MOJO hole?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

:humour:

Hey, I zoomed in on one of those photos and found something amazing!

Merry Christmas, Ricky.

Norman

OK, maybe I edited it in, but it was still fun!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

The way he strings his guitar intrigues me.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Norman,

I had to take a second look at the originals and yours... I'm so gullible.

If I could be half as good as them, I'd beat up my guitars too.  Since I'm not, I might as well keep my guitars in mint shape.

Thanks!!!

ricky

Quote from: strawintogold on December 23, 2008, 03:50:25 PM
The way he strings his guitar intrigues me.

holly

Isn't that a fairly standard method for a nylon string guitar ?

If I'm not mistaken the bass strings are steel.  I'm thinking that because of the balls on the end.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Holly

The E A and D strings may be steel-wrapped silk strings.  They definitely have the ball ends. Obviously he has a rather "unique" approach to the whole deal doesn't he.  I don't know why the whole guitar doesn't just fall apart.

I would imagine it's held together by a very special resin. Years and years of hemp smoke.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

I've been watching this guitar develop and have been delighted as each specification and option (well, not a cutaway) has been exactly what I wanted. I just ordered a mahogany top with purfling.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster