Pages: 1 ... 72 [73] 74 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 212481 times)
TimButterfield

Ignore
« Reply #1440 on: December 23, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

My opinion is that the 12Fret rw/IS LS-03r would be enough different from a OM-10 to have both if one could afford both. A 12fret guitar has a different voice, and I will have to hold my judgement on the Italian spruce until I have my MH/IS in my hands. There's also a certain mojo factor that comes along with the Forum Guitar that one normally wouldn't get from an guitar shop shelf model. But I might go for a mahogany if I was in your situation.
Thanks, Randy.  Just to clarify, I wasn't thinking of selling the OM to get a Forum III, but possibly to get a second Forum III.  I can get one and still keep the OM.  The decision was which to get and whether to get a second, by selling off the OM (not likely) or selling something else (another computer).  Another option would be to get neither and upgrade my Kamouraska classical instead, either now or sometime in the future.  One tendency I have is that when a decision is too tough or too close between choices, I sometimes decide to not get that item.  While GAS has me desire an Forum III (or two), the difficulty of trying to decide which may result in me skipping it.  That's one of the things that led me to order early.  If I procrastinate long enough and cannot decide, maybe I'll leave the IS/RW stand as the default instead of not ordering.  It's not like I actually need another guitar.  It's just a bad case of GAS. 

Tim

2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1441 on: December 23, 2008, 03:57:43 PM »

Thanks, Randy.  Just to clarify, I wasn't thinking of selling the OM to get a Forum III, but possibly to get a second Forum III.  I can get one and still keep the OM.  The decision was which to get and whether to get a second, by selling off the OM (not likely) or selling something else (another computer).  Another option would be to get neither and upgrade my Kamouraska classical instead, either now or sometime in the future.  One tendency I have is that when a decision is too tough or too close between choices, I sometimes decide to not get that item.  While GAS has me desire an Forum III (or two), the difficulty of trying to decide which may result in me skipping it.  That's one of the things that led me to order early.  If I procrastinate long enough and cannot decide, maybe I'll leave the IS/RW stand as the default instead of not ordering.  It's not like I actually need another guitar.  It's just a bad case of GAS. 

Tim

However, this guitar may never be repeated.  If I understand correctly, the first forum guitar was quickly followed by the second, because many felt they missed out the first time.  Ricky and Randy have done a lot to make sure nobody misses out this time, and the order period is pretty generous.  I suspect it might be a long time before something like this comes up again.

What I am saying is that you can't change your mind in a few months like with a standard off the shelf guitar.  You may live to regret the procrastination.  If you buy two, you can always sell one later.  That is my view.  If I miss my D-09, I can buy another one a few years down the line.  Truth is my OM-03 is may favourite by a mile (big dent in the top and all  crying), so I don't think I will.  If I passed on the forum III, and then regretted that decision, it would be too late to make amends.

Ben

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1442 on: December 23, 2008, 04:07:29 PM »

The first 2 forum guitars were pretty much the same thing.  There were two choices, an all mahogany 12 fret OM or a mahogany/spruce 12 fret OM.  Both still get nothing but glowing reviews.  They show up in the Buy & Sell section every so often...I know I'd love to have an all hog 12 fret OM!!!

But this new Forum III is really special for me.  I love the LS shape...It will be like playing a classical but with steel strings....oh and the Italian spruce...I know I am going to love this guitar already! 

With the sheer quantity that have been ordered to date, you can be sure that a few will eventually make their way to the Buy and Sell section of the forum and they'll probably get scooped up pretty fast! 

GAS is a terrible affliction. I should know!  But lately, the L-03R and the 00-50 have been more than enough guitar for me.  I look at the Forum III as a chance at something special but also something new to record/gig with.  I know I'll be dropping a K&K into mine ASAP and it WILL be used for gigs.  Man, I am so looking forward to this guitar!!!!

Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1443 on: December 23, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »

and the order period is pretty generous.  I suspect it might be a long time before something like this comes up again.

This is the one dispute I have with this whole process...it has happened too fast and at the wrong time of year....imagine the number of people who may have jumped on this at another time of year and with more warning....coming up with an extra $300 around christmas time to spend on ones self while also focusing on giving to others is pretty hard for alot of us...poor timing IMO.  I don't want to dog any of the pricipals involved in this process....they have accomplished an amazing feat in pulling this together so fast....I'm just not sure that doing it this fast is the best thing for everyone...else...who would like to be involed in this special event in the forum history....but can't right now.....SIGH

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1444 on: December 23, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »

gotta agree on the timing...(not because of Christmas though.....) crying I guess no body can really predict when the water tank will explode...

Anybody who are able to jump in the wagon should all order the guitar... this is seriously such an awesome opportunity!

Jeffrey

strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1445 on: December 23, 2008, 04:29:24 PM »

Blue,

You know, while I get it, saying things like this make Ricky feel bad. I wouldn't, you probabaly wouldn't, but he would. Please consider that. While I'm sure, well, not really, that more would have joined later, there are a whole lot of folks who are thrilled with it happening now. Later is Tax Season, anyway. Bottom line is someone would have missed out somewhere. Not fair, I know.

Besides, I bet I'm not the only one who has to sell something to get this guitar. Have you considered that as an option?

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1446 on: December 23, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »

Yes I have, But there is really nothing I can sell...

I've sold everything I could to make my guitar fund...

Jeffrey

strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1447 on: December 23, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »

I know, I was directing my comments to Blue and have clarified that. I'm really sorry that happened. I don't even know you and I feel really disssapointed for you. Any liability on the part of the company? House insurance, maybe? Kidney? Is there a friend you can borrow the deposit from?

holly

ps. If you have books, there's a company called bluerectangle.com that will buy them and pay shipping. I got almost a $100 from what was lying around.

"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1448 on: December 23, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »

My kidney wont sell for very much lol..

Maybe it's just not the right guitar for me.......  crying there is always a reason behind something..

Jeffrey

Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1449 on: December 23, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »

I don't want to dog any of the pricipals involved in this process....they have accomplished an amazing feat in pulling this together so fast....

Did you read this part of my post? ...many folks have worked amazingly hard on this and I give credit where credit is due...just tremendous effort on this project....we tried this whole process a year and a half ago or so...and no one of Ricky's caliber stepped forward to lead the show....so it fell apart.

Yeah I've sold a tone of stuff lately....here and else where....but thats being used to purchase presents for freinds and family...not for myself.

and while I'm concerned about hurting peoples feelings....NOT my intention....their suffering will be tempered in a couple of months with a great new guitar... ....many others will not

Cheers,
Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1450 on: December 23, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »

http://bluerectangle.com/  Here's the link.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1451 on: December 23, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »

http://bluerectangle.com/  Here's the link.

holly

Thanks maybe I should see if I have any old text books.

Jeffrey

TimButterfield

Ignore
« Reply #1452 on: December 23, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »

But this new Forum III is really special for me.  I love the LS shape...It will be like playing a classical but with steel strings....oh and the Italian spruce...I know I am going to love this guitar already!
Thia captures my sentiments exactly.  I like playing classical music, but prefer the sound of steel strings to nylon.  And, as my nails keep breaking, this does not seem as important with the steel strings as with nylon.  Lately, I've been practicing some Brouwer studies on my parlor and OM.  I like this quite a bit.  I was originally hoping an LS option may have been an LS classical, like Larrive used to make.  Then there is the italian spruce, a really good classical tonewood.  How can I not want one?     Since I already have a RW in the OM, maybe I should just get hog, LS-03 and LS-03MT.  If I ever do decide I don't want one of them, getting rid of it should be relatively easy, though with some price drop.  I think Dan also mentioned getting one to possibly sell later to someone who wasn't able to get in on it now.  Is the benevolence factor a good excuse for GAS?   

Tim

2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1453 on: December 23, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »

For those forum members who have the desire but not the funds to participate right now.......................Blue, es-335, and others...I am truly sorry that this is not the best time for you to take advantage of this opportunity.  I wasn't kidding when I said awhile back that I cashed in all my spare change from a big jar and scraped together the cash I needed for the deposit.   I know how difficult it must be for many, many forum faithful who just can't find a way to do this now.   
However...keep in mind that Jim Holler is planning to get one or two extra for his shop.  These will be available to anyone who can find the funds later on when their personal finances are in better shape.   So, there's still a chance that you can get a new forum III later on.  It may not be exactly what you wanted, i.e. spruce or mahogany top, rosewood or mahog. back and sides, herringbone purfling, cutaway... but it will be a new forum III doghouse guitar.
My hope is that all who want one of these will be able to make it happen somehow.

tuffythepug
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1454 on: December 23, 2008, 05:15:32 PM »

I think Dan also mentioned getting one to possibly sell later to someone who wasn't able to get in on it now.  Is the benevolence factor a good excuse for GAS?   

I considered ordering two and choosing which I liked better....then to sell the other. But so many have been ordered I'd feel less confident of a quick sale. These guitars will be rattling around in the Buy and Sell section for a while.

Don't worry Blue...you may still be able to get one on the used market after the novelty has worn off and GAS strikes again...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1455 on: December 23, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »

I considered ordering two and choosing which I liked better....then to sell the other. But so many have been ordered I'd feel less confident of a quick sale. These guitars will be rattling around in the Buy and Sell section for a while.

Don't worry Dlue...you may still be able to get one on the used market after the novelty has worn off and GAS strikes again...

I am hoping to pick one up in the used market.. (fingers crossed for a Hog guitar)

Jeffrey

prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1456 on: December 23, 2008, 05:28:44 PM »

The timing is not bad for everyone.  A $250 deposit now is pretty small potatoes if you're buying a good guitar.  

You won't have to pay the $800+ balance until March.  If credit cards are allowed, then the payment might be deferred until near tax time.

btw, I haven't called Jim yet.  He has sold me 3 guitars, so far.  Right now the plan is to order the IS/RW plain and simple.

Play it daily for best results.
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1457 on: December 23, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »

Ahem, anyone noticed that Jim is getting an OM 03 MT in? I have one and if I had the cash, I'd have two. Such an awesome guitar.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1458 on: December 23, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »

Ahem, anyone noticed that Jim is getting an OM 03 MT in? I have one and if I had the cash, I'd have two. Such an awesome guitar.

holly

If only it was 12fret joint

Jeffrey

L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #1459 on: December 23, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »

holly

Second that sentiment --- my OM-03MT is much loved.  Knowing how sweet it is makes getting an MT FIII very tempting.

Scott

RS-2
Pages: 1 ... 72 [73] 74 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: