Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 22, 2008, 03:58:46 PM
If I can learn one song... even one song that would make me access the 14th fret and up... then I would feel better about the extra $300 for my current LSV-03R order.

ricky

Put a capo on the second fret and play Neil Young's "Harvest Moon".
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: TimButterfield on December 22, 2008, 12:09:58 PM
 I've ordered an IS/RW (couldn't pass up that combination).  But, I've never owned a hog guitar and am thinking of adding an MT.  But, I may need to sell my (spruce/rosewood) OM-10 to pay for it.  Does that seem logical, to sell an OM-10 to pay for a Forum III?  Or, should I keep them OM-10 and just get the IS/RW.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Tim

I think the Forum III guitar in IS/RW is going to sound very similar to your OM-10. I'm not sure it makes sense to sell your OM-10 model to buy a 03 model for about what you'll probably get for the OM. Does that make sense? What I guess I'm trying to say is the market for used guitars is not good right now so I'm not sure you can get more than $1200 for the OM. If I were you I would keep the OM-10 and change your Forum III order to say LS-03MT. Everybody should have at least one Mahogany top guitar.

You asked.  :winkin:

:cheers
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I'd order the hog and keep the OM-10...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: strawintogold on December 22, 2008, 05:33:15 PM
You forgot to mention that Emo boys wear girl's jeans. That may account for a bit of the glumness.

holly

I didn't want to go into the specifics, I'll get glum myself. Then I might have to go Emo on all of you.

Is it a possibility to pick up the guitar a little late direct from the vancity facility?? (that'd give me more time to come up with the money......)
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 22, 2008, 11:56:49 PM
Is it a possibility to pick up the guitar a little late direct from the vancity facility?? (that'd give me more time to come up with the money......)

If you ask Jim H, you may be able to arrange something. Never hurts to ask, try.   :?

ricky

OK...I can't believe this...but I'm going away for holiday and going to work up the gumption to ask for permission to bite the bullet and join in on this FORUM III madness.  As I understand it, I have until Jan. 2.

I just made it thru 40 of the 70+ pages, then jumped to the last few.  What an unbelievable effort!

So it just may be that I will be going HOG WILD (yes, all hog, top and bottom and all-around!)

Wish me luck and some creative financing.

Penner
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on December 23, 2008, 12:12:27 AM
OK...I can't believe this...but I'm going away for holiday and going to work up the gumption to ask for permission to bite the bullet and join in on this FORUM III madness.  As I understand it, I have until Jan. 2.

I just made it thru 40 of the 70+ pages, then jumped to the last few.  What an unbelievable effort!

So it just may be that I will be going HOG WILD (yes, all hog, top and bottom and all-around!)

Wish me luck and some creative financing.

Penner

Penner, I wish you all the luck in the world.  Would love to have another Hog /Hog order on the books.  But, you gotta go back and read pages 40 thru  70.....that's where it started to get interesting !    Some real plot twists along the way.  Some new characters introduced and some others killed off to further the story line.  A real page turner !  War and Peace,  Ulysses, Gone With the Wind, The Grapes of Wrath, and the epic Forum Guitar Discussion:  All great literary works of Staggering Genius.  Can't wait to see how it ends.   :thumb

Tuffythepug

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 23, 2008, 12:52:59 AM
Penner, I wish you all the luck in the world.  Would love to have another Hog /Hog order on the books.  But, you gotta go back and read pages 40 thru  70.....that's where it started to get interesting !    Some real plot twists along the way.  Some new characters introduced and some others killed off to further the story line.  A real page turner !  War and Peace,  Ulysses, Gone With the Wind, The Grapes of Wrath, and the epic Forum Guitar Discussion:  All great literary works of Staggering Genius.  Can't wait to see how it ends.   :thumb

Tuffythepug

Laughed my liver out :) Thanks, Tuffy!
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

I have a question or two

I was looking at olde reviews of the LS and it seems Larrivee use to use Rosewood for the body binding and I was thinking how great that would look.

Would it be possible to offer rosewood binding as an up-charge?

I figure the answer is no, but if ya don't ask ya don't get...  :wink:

Anyone else prefer Rosewood to maple binding or is it just me?

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Quote from: iDavid on December 23, 2008, 03:08:28 AM
I have a question or two

I was looking at olde reviews of the LS and it seems Larrivee use to use Rosewood for the body binding and I was thinking how great that would look.

Would it be possible to offer rosewood binding as an up-charge?

I figure the answer is no, but if ya don't ask ya don't get...  :wink:

Anyone else prefer Rosewood to maple binding or is it just me?

david

This was suggested early on in the discussion, and discarded then.  I doubt any further options will become available at this stage.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on December 23, 2008, 04:27:59 AM
This was suggested early on in the discussion, and discarded then.  I doubt any further options will become available at this stage.

Really?

Do you know where-abouts that would be?

I must have missed that somehow....

Not a deal breaker by any means, just would prefer the rosewood...

when we were trying to get to 10 people - imagine that! - we had to have agreement on a single spec , and various options were thrown around. That one seemed to die a death. To be fair to you, I don't think it has been mentioned since, and a lot more people are on board now. Maybe I was hasty in my last response.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Ricky,

You shouldn't be getting anything you need to feel better about. While I don't think anyone should limit themselves because they 'aren't good enough to do whatever' if you are finding yourself having to justify the $300 then perhaps it's $300 better spent elsewhere. As part of your Ministry, for example, like a guitar tithing.

Not telling you what to do, of course, just sensing a little guilt over what you conside extravagance which I totally understand. I always tithe a portion of any large purchase. It helps me keep my perspective and fell good at the same time.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: BenF on December 23, 2008, 05:49:03 AM
when we were trying to get to 10 people - imagine that! - we had to have agreement on a single spec , and various options were thrown around. That one seemed to die a death. To be fair to you, I don't think it has been mentioned since, and a lot more people are on board now. Maybe I was hasty in my last response.

I appreciate that.  These forum guitars seem like a dream.  I'm having a hard time scraping the cash together being the holidays and all (two kids), but I just don't want to let this one pass.  I don't really need another guitar, but I would love to have one.  Anyway, I really love the look of rosewood binding, and am surprised it isn't used more often. 

I hope it will be made an option, but it will not be a deciding factor either way

david

Although I'm not going to be picking up one of these great guitars, I justed wanted to congratulate everyone who is. I'm sure John Jr. up in Vancouver will put the same love and care into their construction as he did on the first Forum Guitars. You are all going to end up with something really special. Or in Bluesman's case maybe (2) somethings really special.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Quote from: iDavid on December 23, 2008, 05:14:16 AM
Really?

Do you know where-abouts that would be?

I must have missed that somehow....

Not a deal breaker by any means, just would prefer the rosewood...

I'm just a facilitator and secretary on this deal. Ricky has been the person who has gotten this going and made the 'deal' with Jim Holler.

But I believe a change in the binding would be unexpected. I like rosewood binding too, but we've tried to keep costs down for the greatest number of people.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on December 23, 2008, 08:18:25 AM
I'm just a facilitator and secretary on this deal. Ricky has been the person who has gotten this going and made the 'deal' with Jim Holler.

But I believe a change in the binding would be unexpected. I like rosewood binding too, but we've tried to keep costs down for the greatest number of people.

I understand that and agree with it.  I was just hoping, since there has been a few options made available, that binding could possibly be made an option also.  Again, not a huge deal, just a hope

david

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 22, 2008, 08:57:54 PM
I think the Forum III guitar in IS/RW is going to sound very similar to your OM-10. I'm not sure it makes sense to sell your OM-10 model to buy a 03 model for about what you'll probably get for the OM. Does that make sense? What I guess I'm trying to say is the market for used guitars is not good right now so I'm not sure you can get more than $1200 for the OM. If I were you I would keep the OM-10 and change your Forum III order to say LS-03MT. Everybody should have at least one Mahogany top guitar.

You asked.  :winkin:

:cheers

I did ask and thanks.  Okay.  So, I won't sell an OM-10 to get a second LS-03.  And 10 grade SS/RW will sound similar to 03 grade IS/RW.  Is there such a thing as 03 grade IS?  If that is too similar, I would need to choose from either IS/M or MT.  Hogtop, eh?  Those hog/herringbone pics were sure pretty.  But, would I kick myself for not getting IS when I had the chance?  Hmmm.

Tim
2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)

Quote from: TimButterfield on December 23, 2008, 09:08:26 AM
I did ask and thanks.  Okay.  So, I won't sell an OM-10 to get a second LS-03.  And 10 grade SS/RW will sound similar to 03 grade IS/RW.  Is there such a thing as 03 grade IS?  If that is too similar, I would need to choose from either IS/M or MT.  Hogtop, eh?  Those hog/herringbone pics were sure pretty.  But, would I kick myself for not getting IS when I had the chance?  Hmmm.
Tim

My opinion is that the 12Fret rw/IS LS-03r would be enough different from a OM-10 to have both if one could afford both. A 12fret guitar has a different voice, and I will have to hold my judgement on the Italian spruce until I have my MH/IS in my hands. There's also a certain mojo factor that comes along with the Forum Guitar that one normally wouldn't get from an guitar shop shelf model. But I might go for a mahogany if I was in your situation.

I'm selling guitars right now, and really shouldn't buy anything, but have opted to get one of the Forums anyway. Probably the last guitar I'll ever buy (he says with a grin).

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519