Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dependan on December 21, 2008, 10:00:20 AM

My 12 fret 00 has a "bigger sound" than you would expect from a guitar smaller than this LS, with a nice bass response, my 00 is no great heavy strummer by any stretch though.

My OO-50 is the same way.  Having the 12 fret neck, placing the bridge a bit closer to the middle of the lower bout, really makes a difference in the bass response.  It's really a sweet sound.  Mine is a decent strummer for certain tunes but for big chords, my L-03R is tops.  Love that guitar too.  When I play gigs, I sing more often than not, and for songs like Old Man, Running on Empty, Guitar Man...my rosewood L is really excellent, thanks again Jim!

I'm REALLY looking forward to this Forum III though.  Wow, is it going to be nice!!!  With a guitar that size, a 12 fret neck, full scale, Italian spruce and mahogany... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Quote from: iDavid on December 21, 2008, 04:05:22 AM
OK hog-guy

I love the look and the idea of an all HOG LS....

Can you translate your last post, so a non-all-hog owner can understand what your talk'in bout  :?

I think you may be in the know  :thumb

iDavid
No, I don't think I can translate in a way that would make it any clearer.  I'm not very good at describing tone and the esoteric features of any given guitar.  I know what I like though.  I have two Larrivee Spruce / Rosewood guitars that are terrific.  When I got a 000-50MT recently I discovered what people are always saying about Larrvee and mahogany.   The hog top 000-50 is just in a class by itself and I'm sorry I can't quantify it or explain exactly what I mean.   For 90% of players the Italian Spruce is the right choice probably.   For those of us who are wanting a little warmer, woodier tone form this small body guitar, the hog is the way to go.  I don't think there is a "wrong" choice in this matter.   It's going to be a winner in any flavor you choose.

tuffythepug

I am surprised about the number of people who are joining the party here that have chosen mahogany.  I would be having second thoughts if I didn't already have a Sapele OM-03.  I was thinking back to the original poll to decide the single initial specifications, where RW was the clear winner.

It is good news that everyone is getting to choose their ideal combinations.  I guess it will make each guitar more unusual and unique too, given that the body shape will likely not be built again, and there are so many specifications coming out of this project.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Hello all!
     This is the first time I have jumped into this conversation and , in fact, the first time I have ever written anything on the LF. I want to say how impressed and pleased I am that so many members have worked so hard to come up with a genuinely appealing and affordable Forum guitar. I expect to add my order for a IS/Mahogany guitar shortly. As one of those north-of-the border members I have a suggestion that I don't think I have heard anyone make. For those Canadians that would like to have their guitars shipped from Canada,  could Trinity Guitars send the required number of Forum Guitar III hats and bone saddles to Larrivee Guitars in Vancouver to get distributed to Forum guitar buyers. I for one would be happy to pay an extra fee to help cover the shipping if that was necessary. Canadian owners could get the saddles installed if and when they desired. I seems to me that these extras are an intregal part of the 'package' and I would expect Canadian members would like to get them if they could. Keep up the good work everyone and Season's Greetings to all.

Couldn't let the Forum Guitar discussion thread fall off the first page!  :bgrin:

I have been following the Forum III discussion, more out of an interest in the process than wanting to have one myself (alright, I am in denial and would love one, but don't think it is on the cards - reading through 70+ pages of passionate Larrivee owners working together to have an amazing guitar produced is definitely not helping ease the GAS!).

I don't know how Larrivee was going to decide who got the Forum III #1 of xx - random, first person to put down their deposit or whatever?

Firstly apologies to anyone if they have already been told that they would be getting # 1 and no offense intended to all of you who have been driving this project and have done so much work on helping make it happen. N.B. The following is not meant to start a flame war (not that I have seen one on this forum) nor hijack this thread.

Let me throw a suggestion out there that if the assigning of Forum III # 1 is not a random process, let the # 1 go to Jim Holler @ Trinity Guitars. He has hooked up so many people here with the Larri's that they love in the past and has done, and is continuing to do, a bucketload of stuff to get this Forum III happening. What do you think?
"Faith"    2009 Larrivee FIII LSV-03HB (IS/Hog)

No offense to Jim, but I think #1 should go to ricky, who came up with this idea.
Jeffrey

Yes. Although he would never claim it or fight about it I also think Ricky deserves #1.

Somewhere in the last thousand or so posts on the Forum Guitar I think I may have already said so.  :humour:

As for me, I am happy just to be in that number, no matter the sequence.  :thumb

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 21, 2008, 10:52:42 AM
iDavid
No, I don't think I can translate in a way that would make it any clearer.  I'm not very good at describing tone and the esoteric features of any given guitar.  I know what I like though.  I have two Larrivee Spruce / Rosewood guitars that are terrific.  When I got a 000-50MT recently I discovered what people are always saying about Larrvee and mahogany.   The hog top 000-50 is just in a class by itself and I'm sorry I can't quantify it or explain exactly what I mean.   For 90% of players the Italian Spruce is the right choice probably.   For those of us who are wanting a little warmer, woodier tone form this small body guitar, the hog is the way to go.  I don't think there is a "wrong" choice in this matter.   It's going to be a winner in any flavor you choose.

tuffythepug

Hey tuffythepug,

I truly appreciate your response.  I find that I tend not to be in the 90 percent camp in anything really.  I think you are right that all of these guitars will be something special.  The all hog may just be extra special  :winkin:
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Quote from: iDavid on December 21, 2008, 05:47:13 PM
Hey tuffythepug,

I truly appreciate your response.  I find that I tend not to be in the 90 percent camp in anything really.  I think you are right that all of these guitars will be something special.  The all hog may just be extra special  :winkin:

Then I suggest you go Hog Wild like me.    :thumb
You know that hog top and herringbone trim are almost impossible for me to say "no" to.

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 21, 2008, 06:10:52 PM

Then I suggest you go Hog Wild like me.    :thumb
You know that hog top and herringbone trim are almost impossible for me to say "no" to.

Yes, I know... I suppose that is your choice no?

You have a hog top now, right?  How is is for volume?

I am mainly looking for warmth and a guitar to sing with, btw

I figure the Hog-top should add some bass and so should the 12 fretter, so I think it will be one full sounding "little" guitar
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

So, I read through all seventy pages of this thread again.  I'm having a hard time making a decision.  Anyone care to help me spend my money?   :smile:   I've ordered an IS/RW (couldn't pass up that combination).  But, I've never owned a hog guitar and am thinking of adding an MT.  But, I may need to sell my (spruce/rosewood) OM-10 to pay for it.  Does that seem logical, to sell an OM-10 to pay for a Forum III?  Or, should I keep them OM-10 and just get the IS/RW.

I'm also thinking about the comparative prices between the models.  Getting hog back and sides saves $100 over rosewood back and sides.  But, that price is the same for the rare IS top or the MT.  Does that mean that the MT is also of a higher grade, equivalent to the IS or is it still 03 grade wood?  If the MT is 03 grade wood, maybe IS/M would be better as a second III.  But, with both having a spruce top, how would the sound differ between that and the IS/RW I've ordered?

Another reason for me thinking of the MT is that maybe I could learn some country/folk blues on it.  Would the MT be better for that than the IS/RW?  How would the MT compare with the IS/M for that?  I would be doing mostly fingerstyle, maybe a little flatpicking, but rarely strumming.  Or, would one of the other models be better for that?  If so, I could wait and get it later.

For those folks that did order a second Forum III, do we just contact Jim or do we also need to update the order thread?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Tim
2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee :donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee :donut :coffee :donut2 :donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee :donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee :donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee :donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee :donut

Thanks to all involved getting this off the ground & flying (and for all the insightful posts)...also for the email announcement that got my initial attention.  Was first   :drool:  salivating   :drool:  about the rosewood model, but decided that the ALL HOG model would be the one for me!  Just placed my order with Jim, and can hardly wait.  Count me in (Whole Hog)  #35! 

Larrivee D-03R
Norman B-50 (12)
*Larrivee LS-03MT/HP

Tim/

I don't really think I could give you any advice on which guitar to choose.

But I can tell you that you can play great blues on RW guitars as well... when it comes down to blues, it's not what you play but how you play :)  Take a look at Eric Clapton, his 000 guitars are RW B/S.. and plays great blues. I personally prefer hog because it sounds more woody and humble... and the music I play sounds better on hog guitars than RW guitars...

Go with what attracts you the most.. if you haven't played any hog guitars, you should zip down to a local music store and try them out!

and If you have a OM-10 why not go with IS/HOG on the forum guitar?

Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 22, 2008, 01:31:03 PM
But I can tell you that you can play great blues on RW guitars as well... when it comes down to blues, it's not what you play but how you play :)
I definitely hear you, more practice, less purchase.  :thumbsup  Maybe I should skip the second III and invest in more lessons, perhaps even the two hour round trip to the Old Town School.  Where's that icon for the slap up side the head?   :laughin:

As for the IS/RW choice, I just think the S/RW is so classic Larrivee that I didn't want to miss getting one.  Even if my OM-10 is similar, I thought the IS LS-03R vs SS OM-10 might be enough of a difference to make it worth it.  It's tough trying to pick.

Thanks.

Tim
2000 Larrivée OM-10

Tim, Ricky seems to think that I am the voice of reason, not that he listens to me, so I'll smack you up side the head if you like. LOL
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: TimButterfield on December 22, 2008, 02:40:39 PM
It's tough trying to pick.

I remember being speechless the first time I held a spanking brand new LSV-11e because a certain one from Texas passed from one hand to another. It was one of those, you know, jaw-dropping experience... don't know if it was the git or the 3,000 northwards tag price or BOTH ?  :?

So, when the cutaway option became available, choosing an LSV-03R is a no brainer, right? Wrong!  :wacko:

I'm in the midst of deciding between my current order LSV-03 no purfling                                   OR                             a plain LS-03R      WITH purfling...

Currently, I'm leaning towards the plain LS-03R  (for that no non-sense all acoustic guitar.........
I wish I was not so influenced by Taylors cutaway electric gits - the main attraction for the cutaway....   I don't have one BUT don't even go that far up the neck

I'm greatly encouraged by more experienced (and wiser) Forumites who have given me invaluable advice... and other greats like an old Dylan pic and old footage of James Taylor when he still had long hippie parted in the middle hair  ---    both playing plain NO-cutaway guitars.

As Jeff says, if it's good enough for them... it SHOULD be good enough for me.

Unless of course, I keep getting teased by a certain PV-09E owner  :doh

ricky

I don't have one BUT don't even go that far up the neck

Whats to say you won't? I'm getting one because someday I plan to (God willing). No reason to limit yourself. I thought about it a LOT, I mean $300 more is $300 more. While Bob Dylan may not have had one, I don't want to play like Bob Dylan,lol and who knows, perhaps he would have given the option?

If I started limiting myself because so and so didn't have one, I'd be back to the cigar box guitar.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

I find that removing a large section of the guitar is more limiting than not having access to those higher notes. Cutaways are for hippies and yuppies.

Why do you think it's limiting? I'm not sure what you do with your guitars, but I can't think of what the limitation would be. Unless it makes you list to the side excessively.

How can you lump hippies in with yuppies, don't they cancel each other out?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 22, 2008, 02:44:56 PM
Tim, Ricky seems to think that I am the voice of reason, not that he listens to me, so I'll smack you up side the head if you like. LOL
That'll do nicely.  Thanks.   :laughin:

Tim
2000 Larrivée OM-10