Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: aardvark on December 20, 2008, 08:22:07 PM
Danny,
Thank you for the welcome, this forum is a bit intimidating, I've never participated in one with so much traffic, I think for the most part I'll just keep quiet for a while and do a lot of reading and figure this thing out, the icons are a hoot :bgrin: :donut

Hey, glad you went ahead and took the plunge.!  This forum does have much more traffic than the LeftyFrets but don't let it intimidate you.   This one thread is ridiculously long, of course, but most are quite managable.  People are friendly here, we'd like to hear your thoughts any time you care to share.
I left a note for you on the other forum too. 

Tuffythepug

Quote from: aardvark on December 20, 2008, 08:22:07 PM
Danny,
Thank you for the welcome, this forum is a bit intimidating, I've never participated in one with so much traffic, I think for the most part I'll just keep quiet for a while and do a lot of reading and figure this thing out, the icons are a hoot :bgrin: :donut

Naw, we're not intimidating. Yes, this thread has had a ton of traffic. Welcome.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

is it possible to pick up the guitar from the vancouver facility in July? and make the payment then??
Jeffrey

Hi,
I'm about to pull the trigger on the RW forum III, but a question: 

How will this guitar work for strumming and someone who uses a pick?  I have a L-03SP that I love, but always wanted to try rosewood.  I'm just an advanced beginner, strum a lot of chords really.  I don't want to end up with a "fingerstyle" guitar, if I'm a strummer.  How will the LS sound compared to my L?  I do like the idea of the more comfortable body, and loved the feel of an OM-3R I played at a shop.  But it sounded a little thin to my strumming ears.  I want to hear those overtones RW is supposed to have, will the bass be weak?  Lot of question, thanks for tolerating them.
Garrett

Quote from: goa on December 20, 2008, 08:57:20 PM
Hi,

How will this guitar work for strumming and someone who uses a pick?  I have a L-03SP that I love, but always wanted to try rosewood.  I'm just an advanced beginner, strum a lot of chords really.  I don't want to end up with a "fingerstyle" guitar, if I'm a strummer.  How will the LS sound compared to my L?  I do like the idea of the more comfortable body, and loved the feel of an OM-3R I played at a shop.  But it sounded a little thin to my strumming ears.  I want to hear those overtones RW is supposed to have, will the bass be weak?  Lot of question, thanks for tolerating them.
Garrett

That's a good question, and I look forward to hearing the answer. I'm in a similar boat: I could see myself ordering the Forum III, either RW or hog, but I would have to sell my L-03R. I'm not certain that's something I would want to do at this point, but I would seriously consider it.

However, I do more fingerstyle variety than strumming, though some strumming has to be in the mix.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Hi,

Garrett
I gather you will be wanting the RW with the Italian Spruce. My thought is that this guitar will be a strummer, not on the scale of a Dred or a larger bodied L, but it may be as good as an L when you factor in the 12 fret to the body and the bridge being moved.
            Bass response could be greater than a standard L. With the IS top I am expecting a fantastic resonance with some very defined overtones from The RW, but I also expect the Mahogany and IS to be a decent strummer.
             But the fact that you could have a decent strummer does not take away from the clear fact that this will be tremendous for fingerstyle playing.

Quote from: dependan on December 20, 2008, 10:05:17 PM
I gather you will be wanting the RW with the Italian Spruce. My thought is that this guitar will be a strummer, not on the scale of a Dred or a larger bodied L, but it may be as good as an L when you factor in the 12 fret to the body and the bridge being moved.
            Bass response could be greater than a standard L. With the IS top I am expecting a fantastic resonance with some very defined overtones from The RW, but I also expect the Mahogany and IS to be a decent strummer.
             But the fact that you could have a decent strummer does not take away from the clear fact that this will be tremendous for fingerstyle playing.
How do you think the all hog would be as a strummer?
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Quote from: kaos on December 20, 2008, 05:02:03 PM
ok  I did it.  Signed up for the cutaway.    :blush:

mary

Glad to hear you took the plunge. I ordered cutaway too just the other day... or was that yesterday?

Still weighing my options... as I really don't play that far up the neck... not much beyond the 12th.

I have until 2nd Jan to make up my mind.

Way to go mary!!!

ricky

Hi,

Garrett

Garrett...  I don't expect it to roar like the L-03R.  I ordered the original Larrivee formula of Rosewood/Spruce.

From the very beginning, we wanted a guitar that would satisfy the needs of both the fingerstylist and the moderate strummer.

If I want to dig deep, I would want to go to the L (in the future I hope to have one).  But then again, the Italian Spruce may just do the trick to stand up to the aggressive attack.

BTW... I just do chords and a strummer like you.

ricky

Quote from: Broadus on December 20, 2008, 09:52:44 PM
but I would have to sell my L-03R. I'm not certain that's something I would want to do at this point, but I would seriously consider it.

However, I do more fingerstyle variety than strumming, though some strumming has to be in the mix.

Bill

Bill... I sure hope there's some way you could keep your L-03R and still get the FG III.     I've just heard so much good things about the L-03R - the signature Larri model
and I'm convinced - it's the best kept secret in the acoustic guitar world.

I'm thinking of getting a L-03R from a friend (which I hope he saves for me) until I recover from the FG III purchase.

Rootin' for you Bro !!!

ricky

aardvark... tuffy's friend... thanks for joining this nut house.

if you stick around long enough... you'll be family too.

ricky  :welcome:  and have some  :coffee :donut :donut2

Quote from: iDavid on December 21, 2008, 12:11:54 AM
How do you think the all hog would be as a strummer?

It will be HOGsational,    :bowdown:   simply HOGalicious.   HOGtastic.   HOGeriffic   :nana_guitar

Can you tell I ordered the HOG ?   :thumb

TuffytheHOG errrr pug

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 21, 2008, 03:28:58 AM
It will be HOGsational,    :bowdown:   simply HOGalicious.   HOGtastic.   HOGeriffic   :nana_guitar

Can you tell I ordered the HOG ?   :thumb

TuffytheHOG errrr pug

OK hog-guy

I love the look and the idea of an all HOG LS....

Can you translate your last post, so a non-all-hog owner can understand what your talk'in bout  :?

I think you may be in the know  :thumb

I sold an LS-09 Maple b/s to bhika that could handle any kind of strumming.

No kidney's to give up for a 2nd Forum III, although I would have thought that is what it would take. Once in a lifetime, celestial events like Haley's Commet occur.  I had such an event, one that everything aligned perfectly, at just the precise moment in time...and just for those few magnificent seconds...my wife said to buy a 2nd Forum III and I didn't even really ask.   :nanadance

Anyone ever notice that when you use the dancing banana, spell check wants you to change the word to "Canadian"?  :roll
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Thanks for all the opinions on how a Forum III IS/RW would be as a strummer.  I'm looking at finances to see if I can swing it.  Besides, I may learn to fingerpick one day, and this seems a pretty rare guitar being made.  Thanks.
Garrett

Quote from: goa on December 21, 2008, 07:56:32 AM
Thanks for all the opinions on how a Forum III IS/RW would be as a strummer.  I'm looking at finances to see if I can swing it.  Besides, I may learn to fingerpick one day, and this seems a pretty rare guitar being made.  Thanks.
Garrett

The forum 3 guitar started out rare...but with the numbers that are getting ordered I bet there will be more of them around than some of Larrivee's production models...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: goa on December 21, 2008, 07:56:32 AM
Garrett

so you decided did ya  :wink:

I am mainly looking for a strumming too and from what I have read about 12-fretters, they may just be the ticket here

I am having a hard time figuring it out.  I play a L03R and did not care for it, however it had not broken it, cleart-one strings, etc.  I have a OM with hog back and side and like the tone, but it is missing low-end. 

maybe all hog  :wacko:

If I can't decide soon, then the boat will leave me behind....

I'd be surprised if the LS has a stronger bass response than an OM...but it might. It will be a thinner body (4") but with wider waist than an OM. Larrivees are almost always balanced sounding so I doubt that the bass will prevail in the tone. Larry Pattis has described the thinner bodied OMs as having a more focused bass rather than a tubby or flabby bass.

What don't you like about the L body?
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: iDavid on December 21, 2008, 08:22:26 AM
so you decided did ya  :wink:

I am mainly looking for a strumming too and from what I have read about 12-fretters, they may just be the ticket here

I am having a hard time figuring it out.  I play a L03R and did not care for it, however it had not broken it, cleart-one strings, etc.  I have a OM with hog back and side and like the tone, but it is missing low-end. 

maybe all hog  :wacko:

If I can't decide soon, then the boat will leave me behind....
Just put some EJ-17's on the L-03R and play it a few days and see how it sounds.
My LV-03R had Elixers on it and It was just not a tone I liked at all. But the EJ-17's or 16's seem to punch it up. Lot's of string discussion elsewhere. So I hope not to start that up here.
    My 12 fret 00 has a "bigger sound" than you would expect from a guitar smaller than this LS, with a nice bass response, my 00 is no great heavy strummer by any stretch though.
    My Martin OM-21 RW/Spruce has a deep bass response and is actually slightly smaller than the LS specs. I know the build is different, but the OM-21 is a 14 fret, so I would assume the 12 fret LS would have a good response as well and be capable of moderate strumming.
    A person who strums only may want a higher action though. But it's all speculation to some degree. And it's all also subjective to the player.

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 21, 2008, 01:22:09 AM
Still weighing my options... as I really don't play that far up the neck... not much beyond the 12th.

I have until 2nd Jan to make up my mind.
ricky

You KNOW you want the cutaway. What's there to think about? It's purely esthetic (spelling?)!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"