Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Denis on December 20, 2008, 12:22:25 PM
I remember seeing these pics from the 12th Fret website when they had the custom OM-03R's made...pics of John Jr. are at the bottom of the page and there's an interview with Jean where he says this:
So Jean,  are you still flying all over the place hunting down tonewoods for your instruments?
Even now I just got back from Europe.  I just hand selected 2000 tops, unbelievable quality spruce tops.
Are these the the same tops that will be on the Forum III???
I sure would like to think so!   :+1:
Play it daily for best results.

Has anyone said if the optional herringbone perfling is also made of the canadian maple?

I'm still going through the previous 68 pages. I'm looking specifically for Randy's line diagram comparison chart. If someone can let me know which page its on or post again, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Quote from: Denis on December 20, 2008, 12:22:25 PM
I remember seeing these pics from the 12th Fret website when they had the custom OM-03R's made...pics of John Jr. are at the bottom of the page and there's an interview with Jean where he says this:

So Jean,  are you still flying all over the place hunting down tonewoods for your instruments?

Even now I just got back from Europe.  I just hand selected 2000 tops, unbelievable quality spruce tops.

Are these the the same tops that will be on the Forum III???
I believe they are, but not 100% sure.

http://randyrick.us/guitars/LarriveeSpecs.htm

here tis. keep in mind this isn't a recent set of drawings and there are minor differences today.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I would be interested to hear others' experience of any differences in sound between the LS and OM body styles, tonewoods aside. I am thinking seriously about a FORUM III guitar. I already have an OM-03MT. It's all subjective of course, but I think many would agree that this guitar has a definite "woody" character, with clear highs and a spooky growl if you play the thick strings hard. Capoed it is sweet and mellow. An old injury makes 12 frets easier for me and the FORUM guitar would give me 12 frets on a good sized box. My question is whether differences in body construction between the two designs - perhaps different bracing in particular - would make a major difference to the sound.  Grateful for any advice.

Italian Spruce would be a major difference, shifted bridge another, body and back tonewoods make a difference. The L is a little more strummable, so to speak. But this is a different git than an OM-MT for sure. IMHO

OK, first off I am so bummed that I can't get one of these guitars.  If I could dream up the perfect Larrivee, this would be it.  I guess it would have to be short scale if it were to be perfect, but anyway....I have my new custom being shipped in soon, and the OM-03MT is really all I NEED.  The financial situation lately is rather strapped so I'll have to watch the opportunity go by and wait for some to pop up used in the future.

Quote from: plankspanker on December 20, 2008, 02:22:28 PM
I would be interested to hear others' experience of any differences in sound between the LS and OM body styles, tonewoods aside. I am thinking seriously about a FORUM III guitar. I already have an OM-03MT. It's all subjective of course, but I think many would agree that this guitar has a definite "woody" character, with clear highs and a spooky growl if you play the thick strings hard. Capoed it is sweet and mellow. An old injury makes 12 frets easier for me and the FORUM guitar would give me 12 frets on a good sized box. My question is whether differences in body construction between the two designs - perhaps different bracing in particular - would make a major difference to the sound.  Grateful for any advice.

To answer you're question plankspanker, the LS does have a different tone than the OM, tonewoods aside.  I also own and swear by an OM-03MT and have played an LS or two so I can make a brief comparison.  The LS is shaped like a classical guitar and has a more balanced and focused tone than the OM.  It will not have the "growl" you're talking about, but the bass on a LS that has opened up is surprising. The 12 fret neck may pump up the lower end a bit, too.  Dave Wren at 12th Fret has pointed out some years ago in an online add that the LS would be his "desert island Larrivee" if he had to choose one and only one.  That says a lot about the body style of this guitar.  As an avid Larrivee nut for some time, I would jump at the chance to own this guitar if I had the cash.  Given you have the MT already I would go for the Italian spruce/mahogany combo.  There is something about mahogany that just works with the smaller-bodied Larrivees, and you will get more clarity in the highs with the spruce top and a sparkle to the tone.  I have owned at least 15 Larrys and settled on the OM-03MT as my keeper, and this is one I know will be a keeper, too. 

Everyone who is getting one....You are LUCKY DOGS....I'm very jealous!!! :nice guitar:

Justin
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

I moved the discussion of L-01 vs l-03 to a new thread http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=24607.0
Randy R., Georgia, USA

rpm60912  Moved this reply back to this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jenseide...  There are many good experienced Forumites who will be able to answer your question. Just want to acknowledge you... as I am relatively speaking a "newbie" to this Forum and the wonderful guitars called "Larrivee".  You may wish to start a new thread with your question so you don't have to go through this thread that is coming to Encyclopedic proportions !!!         

I appreciate the balance of opinions here regarding tonewoods and comparisons between OM and LS.

Folks... Randy's post on the Table of Specs... though dated... is still a keeper !!!   I saved that one in my laptop.

If I can play guitar like Denis, or even half like him, I'd buy ALL 3 Forum Git III wood combos.

Cutaway or Not --- Thanks for all the pieces of advice.  I sure hope my brain (wants NO cutaway & save $) overrules my heart (wants cutaway to add variety to small collection, vanity).

I may very well go with saving the bucks and go for a NO cutaway and give it the classy look WITH purfling...
(the 150 I save will go to K&K PWM pickup).

Should I ever need a cutaway (it will be because I can play that high up the neck)... or I could always wait for some good used reasonably priced small bodied Larri with cutaway    ...

As Ben mentioned in an earlier post... buying a cutaway guitar in the future... will be another excuse to feed GAS.

2 MORE CUTAWAY QUESTIONS:

(1) Will cutaway really take away the fullness of the sound?   To my ears, I think not; others may hear difference?

(2) In the acoustic guitar world / market...  do more people like us, who are into serious acoustic guitars, prefer
NON-cutaway gits over cutaways?   Cutaways depreciate more as opposed to Non-cutaways?

Thanks again fellow Forumites...  I really appreciate and respect your opinions and pieces of advice.

I would not own a Larrivee OO-09 today and in line for the FG III ---  if it were not for you and your helpful info.

ricky   
Randy R., Georgia, USA

re; depreciation, I'm not sure a cutaway depreciates more, its just that when being sold, it might attract a smaller possible group of buyers, and hence you might have to wait longer to get your price. In the case of a seldom made desirable model, it might actually increase the value.
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Ricky,

I'd like to tell you that it is all about personal preference...

(1) I'd think that there his not much of sound difference.

(2) Cutaway or not is different for every person.

To me? if he didn't need one.. I don't need one..

and don't think about selling the guitar.. before you even get it.... :roll :humour:
Jeffrey

Ricky, I'm no Luthier, but on a smaller bodied guitar a cutaway can have an impact that is noticeable. I have had the same model in cutaway and non and could tell a difference. Some guitars are designed with only a cutaway Like the C series and the CS and LSV-11. The only one I have owned is the LSV in that line which is too distinct to compare with the others. My LV-03R was full of volume and had very nice tone balance but it is a larger version of an LSV-03R so it has a larger body chamber and a larger sound table to resonate from.
  I don't think that most folks who play on the couch would tell much difference in a cutaway or a non. But if you add a good pickup for your playing in an amplified situation I wouldn't think either model would be that distinctly different.
            You know I wanted the LSV-03R myself after we headed that direction, but once the Italian spruce and Hog came available my thinking changed. But I've had 4 Larri cutaways now, all in RW. So that also influences my decision as well as my RW/spruce OM-21 which has a pickup.
            So here is my thinking now. I want to hear the fullest and clearest true Larrivee ACOUSTIC sound out of my F-3. Thus I choose The Mahogany/IS with no cut a way.
    btw And I really am contemplating ordering an all Hog to have an extra F-3 for someone who missed the Jan. 2cnd deadline. Plus if no one can afford it by build and delivery time...oh well I'll suffer with it in my house I guess.

What a deal this has turned out to be. Now I want to go to Vancouver in a few months.
    I think Tycho said he was going there, but I don't remember when he said he was going, in fact...Where is he?

Oh, man, now I'm all conflicted about the cutaway....

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Danny, Jeff & Randy... thanks for all your advice. I'm listening and weighing the info carefully.

As for travelling to Vancouver, I've mentioned to Jim Holler that it would be neat to visit the Factory during the build process or when they're just about done.

Several suggestions have sprung up already:   Norman's video suggestion, Tuffy's group photo, Jim's pic surprise...

Should we start a separate thread for those who want to travel to Vancouver?

Please advise... as I need to clear my calendar if Vancouver is a GO --- there is NO WAY  I'm missing that one,
the Lord willing, of course!  :+1:

I am very interested in this... and I would gladly serve as your tour guide in the beautifuly city of Vancouver.

Oh yeah... you would need your raincoat and umbrella.  :winkin:

Thanks again.

ricky

Quote from: aardvark on December 08, 2008, 08:04:46 PM
This is my first time on this board and is a followup to a conversation I had with Tuffythepug at Leftfrets.net. in regard to a Larrivee Forum guitar the specs of which he has made me familar with.   As I told him, this sounds like an interesting box and I would be interested.  He said something about Italian spruce and mahogany, sounds good to me, do you have room for another?  BTW, I'm  left handed and play that way.  Wow, you got spell check!  Neat! :donut
I just noticed that you ordered a F-3. And it's just like mine, cool and welcome to the forum. Any friend of T the P is a friend of mine :tongue:  Glad to have you here.  :donut     Danny

ok  I did it.  Signed up for the cutaway.    :blush:

mary
:blush:

Quote from: bluesman67 on December 20, 2008, 11:45:04 AM
Tuffy, you may not have the only 1!!  I had an interesting conversation with my wife this morning and lets just say there's a chance I may be ordering a hogtop too.  The best part...her suggestion.  I will have to explain how that happened sometime.

:nana_guitar    :thumb
Joseph, that is truly good news.   You're gonna have to let me know how you pulled that off.   I still haven't told Mrs. Tuffythepug that we will be welcoming a new arrival in the spring. :laughin:

Would yours be just like the one I ordered ?  hog /hog, no cutaway, herringbone purfling ?
I wouldn't mind having one of only two in the world  :thumb

Your "interesting conversation" comment has me intrigued.   Care to share more ?

Tuffythepug

Danny,
Thank you for the welcome, this forum is a bit intimidating, I've never participated in one with so much traffic, I think for the most part I'll just keep quiet for a while and do a lot of reading and figure this thing out, the icons are a hoot :bgrin: :donut