Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My justification

I love my D-09, but I only play at home.  Much as I'd like to be good enough to play in front of others, I don't think I am, and the longer that goes on, the less confident I get.  I therefore don't pick up my D-09 very often, because it is heavier, more cimbersome and wakes up the kids easier than my OM-03.  So the cheap ebay buy gets played all the time, even though I prefer the complex and soft sound of rosewood more than Sapele.

A smaller bodied guitar, but not another OM, with Rosewood and a very special spruce top with that really light colour of Adirondack that  love to look at - no brainer!  Then they offer us herringbone purfling as well, so it will look like a far more traditional instrument. Sweet.

The other issues with my Dread are the neck width.   learned on narrow necked dreads, and had only played that narrow width.  I was worried that a wider neck wouldn't suit me.  How wrong I was.  I find the D neck cramped now, after plaing the OM.

I will also really miss the smell of Rosewood when my Dread leaves!!!!

This i gonna be a  :nice guitar:

I was going to post a couple of days ago about the photos during manufacture, but forgot.  lad someone else did.  I also think Tuffy's idea of a thread dedicated to forum guitar photos and their owners is a cracker.  Something to print and keep as a momento!  I think mine might be of me lying unconscious after the delivery guy has been, it will be a lot to take in!!!  Am i right in thinking mine is still the only one going overseas, or are others outside the States/Canada as well?

Is it reasonable to think that April GOTM will be April FGIIIOTM?
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: iDavid on December 19, 2008, 09:56:18 PM
I would like know how each of you decided on the woods for your Forum 3 

I'm trying to decide at the moment

david

Seems like for many of us it comes down to what we already have, and trying not to duplicate too much the sound and feel of existing gits.  If I didn't already have an OM-sized mahogany-top guitar, I would order a hog/hog FIII in a heartbeat.  And I already have a rosewood OM that I love.  So spruce/hog slots right in to a spot that I don't currently have, and have wanted to have for awhile.
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: limnephilidae on December 19, 2008, 10:08:43 PM
That sounds great to me. I think I'd miss the bone saddle and setup from Jim but I am less than 30mins away (via TTC) of 3 places that I would trust to do a setup. I think the idea of a Canadian guitar staying in Canada too, I don't want the guitar to get used to all of that "freedom" south of the border and suddenly expect to pay reasonable taxes when it comes back north. You have to curb their expectations a bit.  :humour:

Seriously though, who do I have to arrange this with? Just Jim? Jim and Larrivee's Vancouver Workshop?

Thanks,

Adam

PS - Would Jean Chretien please lend me his shoe? I hear there are some folks who don't have any respect for Canucks. It's enough leave the damn forum.

Adam,

LOL! Take it to the Fret when you get it. That's what I'll be doing with mine, if I jump back on board...to be decided shortly.

I hope you weren't referring to me with your respect for the Canucks, unless, of course, we aren't talking about your hockey team.

I guess shipping will be figured out l8r. Obviously, Jim knows who all of us are who live north of the border.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

A question about the Italian Spruce - does anyone know if JCL is going to use the stash he has from the '70s, or the more recent lode he scored on his most recent trip to Europe?  Either way it's all good to me. :thumb

Also, a comment on the woods to be used for these guitars - we should all keep in mind that these are 03 guitars and the woods selected will be 03 grade.  This means that our tops will not necessarily be flawlessly beautiful.  For example, my 12th Fret Limited edition OM-03R sitka top has several visual imperfections that are not so nice to look at close up.  So hopefully none of us will be too let down if we get our guitars and don't see perfectly straight grain, or we spot some mineral staining, or other blemish.  My OM-03R is very special despite the less than stunning sitka top.

Hmmm, the above sounds a bit too much of a downer - please, it is not meant to be.  I just want everybody to keep in mind when they are picturing the FIII in their head, not to be visualizing -10 series woods.  It will still be one incredible guitar.   :donut2 :nanadance :donut2
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 20, 2008, 01:44:49 AM
Help me please... Cutaway or Not ?

I never go beyond the 12th Fret... and don't know if I'll ever be able to make my guitar whine like rock lead guitarists

But, I ordered the Cutaway option... just because I don't have a Cutaway guitar (and for aesthetics, $300 vanity).

Then, I went to YouTube and admired Denis play "Samuel" and "Little Martha" on the Parlor & OO-50 again... and noticed he never went beyond the 12th Fret and such an accomplished guitarist and all his guitars are non-cutaway.

Should I save the $300 and go for the purfling instead?  (the brain & the heart don't agree)

Hmmmmm.... :?

ricky

You KNOW you want the cutaway. Remember our little discussion about my Holly? I will help enable you on this, because I think you will kick yourself if you don't. As for the purfling... well if you want to spend another $150, it's your business, but don't think you need it with the cutaway. Just my six cents, as usual!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: L-fan on December 20, 2008, 06:50:24 AM
Seems like for many of us it comes down to what we already have, and trying not to duplicate too much the sound and feel of existing gits.  If I didn't already have an OM-sized mahogany-top guitar, I would order a hog/hog FIII in a heartbeat.  And I already have a rosewood OM that I love.  So spruce/hog slots right in to a spot that I don't currently have, and have wanted to have for awhile.

Hog/hog in a heart beat, do tell... what does the all hog do so well?

I have a OM with a spruce top and hog back and sides, would you go for the rosewood or all hog in my case?
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Ricky in your case a cutaway would not be neessessary and it will take away from the "fullness" of the LS body sound. The part about having it for your vanity, refers to the cool look of a cutaway I think. That part is nice In my view but this guitar will be nice either way. So you may want to save the 300 and I personaly am not going to pass on the h-bone purfling. I think that is the "bling" on the MT or the IS.

The Italian Spruce that JCL scored recently IS THE STASH from the 70's, just to be clear. I think it will be a very nice "flavored" Larrivee sound that will come out of this special LS.

I wanted the LSV-03R in the beginning when we settled on the LS size, but I began to consider the Mahogany as a very special item, seeing as sapele is replacing it now in the Larri 03 line up. A all hog (including neck) LS with an IS top just sounds so "distinct" and "unique" to me. That's why I switched to a LS-03 IS/Hog and I will forego the cutaway, I want the full sound to be unrestricted on this one.
                                    Danny

Quote from: dependan on December 20, 2008, 07:31:58 AM
snip...

The Italian Spruce that JCL scored recently IS THE STASH from the 70's, just to be clear. I think it will be a very nice "flavored" Larrivee sound that will come out of this special LS.

...snip
                                    Danny

Thanks - this is kind of exciting, since that wood has been seasoning for soooo long.  Cool.
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: iDavid on December 20, 2008, 07:20:50 AM
Hog/hog in a heart beat, do tell... what does the all hog do so well?

I have a OM with a spruce top and hog back and sides, would you go for the rosewood or all hog in my case?

A mahogany top provides a warmer, drier, woodier note than spruce.  I have found it to provide less volume than spruce and possibly a bit less sustain.  However my newish OM-03MT is providing some incredible sustain, more so than even my rosewood OM.  And since it provides minimal overtones, the sustain sounds incredible, in that it stays true to the notes you just played for a long time -- think of the artificially elongated final chord in that Beatles song, er, can't think of the name of it right now; maybe it was from the Sergeant Pepper's album.  If I think of that song, I'll edit this post.

OK, after saying all that, with respect to your case, I would go for the rosewood.  It will make a lovely, complementary addition.  Edit:  Also I think the Italian Spruce makes this guitar a bit more unique as well.
Scott

RS-2

Help me please... Cutaway or Not ?

I never go beyond the 12th Fret...
But, I ordered the Cutaway option... just because I don't have a Cutaway guitar (and for aesthetics, $300 vanity).

Should I save the $300 and go for the purfling instead?  (the brain & the heart don't agree)

Hmmmmm.... :?

ricky

Check your aesthetics and vanity at the door. You don't need the cutaway, period. You can always buy a guitar with a cutaway at a later date if you find a need for it in your playing. You are not likely going to keep every guitar you buy, but you are likely to keep this Forum III. You may like the looks of the cutaway now but your tastes may change. If you do decide to sell at some point, many people do not like cutaways. Also if you do sell you are not likely going to get your investment back in the cutaway. I have bought three cutaways, I sold one, one is for sale and the other I probably will keep for life (because it just sounds so good).
Really, just do what you want. I'm just trying to save you three hundred dollars. You could buy a nice hand held recorder, strings and some music books for that. Or you could buy a nice campfire guitar. Do you have an amplifier?
Think of what you could spend that money on then ask yourself the question again, Do I really need the cutaway?

Have a couple donuts and think about it.
:donut   :donut2  :donut  :donut2  :donut  :donut2  :donut  :donut2 
:coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 20, 2008, 09:07:17 AM
Check your aesthetics and vanity at the door. You don't need the cutaway, period. You can always buy a guitar with a cutaway at a later date if you find a need for it in your playing. You are not likely going to keep every guitar you buy, but you are likely to keep this Forum III. You may like the looks of the cutaway now but your tastes may change. If you do decide to sell at some point, many people do not like cutaways. Also if you do sell you are not likely going to get your investment back in the cutaway. I have bought three cutaways, I sold one, one is for sale and the other I probably will keep for life (because it just sounds so good).
Really, just do what you want.

This is an interesting comment coming from someone with "Mr. LV" in their name.   :bgrin:

Your last sentence there ("Just do what you want") is the primary thing here.  He mentioned that he doesn't have a cutaway in the stable and likes the way they look, so I say go for it by all means. 

I'm also doing the cutaway.  I've got two without and I've always liked them, so that's my direction.

Adam

Then, I went to YouTube and admired Denis play "Samuel" and "Little Martha" on the Parlor & OO-50 again... and noticed he never went beyond the 12th Fret and such an accomplished guitarist and all his guitars are non-cutaway.

Thanks for the kind words ricky.  The only cutaway I've ever owned, and I've had nearly 20 guitars over the years, was a used Larrivee LSV-05 that I bought from Fredmando here on the forum.  I only had it for a couple of months and miss it now.  I do play above the 12 fret from time to time but not often enough to need a cutaway.  

I`m very anxious now...I know we`re months away but wow...it`s gonna be one sweet little guitar!!!

And now they will ship them directly from Vancouver directly to us Canadiens??  I like that.  I know we might not get the baseball cap, which I probably wouldn't wear but I'd still like to have, and we won't have the set up from Jim with the bone saddle.  While I know he does a fine job with this as I've purchased several guitars from him, I don't need to have him do it.  I still have the Tusq saddle and nut in my L-03R I got from Jim and used it on 4 of the 6 tracks on my CD.  It's still an amazing guitar.  

Thanks for everything Jim

Breaking News
Canadians are hosers, eh?  Just kidding!!!  A cheap way to get everyone's attendion on this historically long thread.  I really wanted to thank Jim Holler because he's gone above and beyond what would be expected of a dealer handling this order.  Thank you for all your genuine interest and enthusiasm, your gifts and surprises to make this even more special for us all.  You are a good man.

Cheers to Jim
:cheers
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I went with the All Hog version because I don't currently own a MT guitar and I've always wanted to get one.  There is just something really special about the way JCL does mahogany and when when the whole guitar is all of the same wood, it is special.  Combine this with the fact that this guitar will be real mahogany (vs. sapele), a very rare body style, 12-Fret, herringbone purf...and you've got a very unique guitar.  I know that some people say MT guitars are readily available new and used but this guitar won't be.  Thats cause only 4 of us are getting the MT version of the Forum III guitar and my guitar will only be one of 4 in existence (unless a couple more of you jump in...which is ok with me).

Its a really tough choice given the rarity of the Italian Spruce but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three models being offered.  Everyone enjoy the wait!!

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Quote from: bluesman67 on December 20, 2008, 10:09:27 AM
Breaking News
Canadians are hosers, eh?  Just kidding!!!  A cheap way to get everyone's attendion on this historically long thread.  I really wanted to thank Jim Holler because he's gone above and beyond what would be expected of a dealer handling this order.  Thank you for all your genuine interest and enthusiasm, your gifts and surprises to make this even more special for us all.  You are a good man.

Cheers to Jim
:cheers
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:  Most folk wouldn't have gone the extra mile to make this possible for me over in the UK.  Much appreciated Jim.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: Jagadis on December 20, 2008, 10:16:46 AM
I went with the All Hog version because I don't currently own a MT guitar and I've always wanted to get one.  There is just something really special about the way JCL does mahogany and when when the whole guitar is all of the same wood, it is special.  Combine this with the fact that this guitar will be real mahogany (vs. sapele), a very rare body style, 12-Fret, herringbone purf...and you've got a very unique guitar.  I know that some people say MT guitars are readily available new and used but this guitar won't be.  Thats cause only 4 of us are getting the MT version of the Forum III guitar and my guitar will only be one of 4 in existence (unless a couple more of you jump in...which is ok with me).

Its a really tough choice given the rarity of the Italian Spruce but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three models being offered.  Everyone enjoy the wait!!

Jordan.

If things stay the way they are on the order thread I will have the only left-handed, all mahogany, LS-03 Forum III guitar in the world.  White elephant or valuable collectable ??   I don't care....I don't think I'll be offering it up for sale any time soon.   :bgrin:

Tuffythepug

I would have ordered a mahogany top Forum III if I didn't already have the MT Forum I which is a keeper for me.

These will be made by John Larrivee Jr who is in charge of the Vancouver manuf business. I expect John Jr. will take care of us as he did with Forum I/II. The guitars trully qualify as 'handmade' with the level of attention they get. Somewhere there is a picture of John Jr. holding  a Forum I in production, but I can't find it at the moment.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Tuffy, you may not have the only 1!!  I had an interesting conversation with my wife this morning and lets just say there's a chance I may be ordering a hogtop too.  The best part...her suggestion.  I will have to explain how that happened sometime.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Does it involve a kidney?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: Randy_R on December 20, 2008, 11:35:59 AM
I would have ordered a mahogany top Forum III if I didn't already have the MT Forum I which is a keeper for me.

These will be made by John Larrivee Jr who is in charge of the Vancouver manuf business. I expect John Jr. will take care of us as he did with Forum I/II. The guitars trully qualify as 'handmade' with the level of attention they get. Somewhere there is a picture of John Jr. holding  a Forum I in production, but I can't find it at the moment.

I remember seeing these pics from the 12th Fret website when they had the custom OM-03R's made...pics of John Jr. are at the bottom of the page and there's an interview with Jean where he says this:

So Jean,  are you still flying all over the place hunting down tonewoods for your instruments?

Even now I just got back from Europe.  I just hand selected 2000 tops, unbelievable quality spruce tops.

Are these the the same tops that will be on the Forum III???