Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK.....

I propose a massive photo exchange.    Like this.  ...  Once everyone has received his or her  guitar they could take a photo or two of their forum III and post the pictures on a special "Forum III picture thread" That way we all get see all the rest of the finished guitars.  It would also be nice if the photo included the forum member who bought it.  After all, this is going to be a momentous event.  I, for one, would like to see them all (guitars and members who bought them)   You know there's bound to be a GOTM in that group somewhere.   :laughin:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.   :whistling:

Tuffythepug

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 19, 2008, 06:21:57 PM
Ok, I'm gonna admit, that now that Canadian shipping has been worked out, I am quite seriously thinking about jumping back on the wagon. If I do, I apologize to both Randy and Jim Holler in advance for having to remove me from the list and then put me back on.  :rolleye:

Quick question folks...What the heck is the difference between binding and purfling?

Many many thanks.

LJ

I missed how the Canadian Shipping got worked out. Can someone post it as a separate thread in the Larrivee Guitars section so we don't have to add to this mammoth thread?

Thanks,

Adam
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 19, 2008, 06:21:57 PM
Ok, I'm gonna admit, that now that Canadian shipping has been worked out, I am quite seriously thinking about jumping back on the wagon. If I do, I apologize to both Randy and Jim Holler in advance for having to remove me from the list and then put me back on.  :rolleye:

Quick question folks...What the heck is the difference between binding and purfling?

Many many thanks.

LJ

Here ya go.   In this photo are examples of both.   The white material on the side of the fretboard is binding.    The maple strip around the edge of the body is also binding.   You'll find binding where two wood surfaces meet usually.     The herringbone is purfling;  purely decoratvie. and only visible on the top surface;  the soundboard if you will.

Tuffythepug

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: limnephilidae on December 19, 2008, 06:29:03 PM
I missed how the Canadian Shipping got worked out. Can someone post it as a separate thread in the Larrivee Guitars section so we don't have to add to this mammoth thread?

Thanks,

Adam

Adam,

It just suddenly got resolved today. Free shipping to Canadian addresses right from Larrivee in Vancouver.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 19, 2008, 06:32:47 PM
Here ya go.   In this photo are examples of both.   The white material on the side of the fretboard is binding.    The maple strip around the edge of the body is also binding.   You'll find binding where two wood surfaces meet usually.     The herringbone is purfling;  purely decoratvie. and only visible on the top surface;  the soundboard if you will.

Tuffythepug

I knew I could count on you. Thank you and I now understand. Ok, if I'm jumping back in, mines gonna have purfling.

Quote from: limnephilidae on December 19, 2008, 06:29:03 PM

Thanks,

Adam

That's where we decided to ship all the Canadians.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 19, 2008, 06:52:03 PM
That's where we decided to ship all the Canadians.

holly
Cute Holly!

Said it before,  and I'll say it again, this will be one special guitar.   Spring will bring a new guitar & baseball will be starting.  Can't beat that. 

The start of this whole deal ( through at this point - page 62?) really is very interesting reading.  It's a cyber sociological experience that worked. I mean, look at the result.  :thumb  32 guitars?? 

Thanks again to the instigators of this. 

Can I have mine by next week?  :bgrin:

Quote from: strawintogold on December 19, 2008, 03:36:16 PM

Are all Canadians so hard to please? Or is it like an Irish thing, can't get too excited and all that. Or maybe you'd like Jim to walk it up there after he does the setup? Would you like a pony too? Ya'll could use it to pratice that whole gift horse mouth looking that's getting a bit tired on this end.

Where's Danny with that umbrella?

holly

Yes, Holly, we're a surly lot up here. Sure, we've got universal health care (not always all it's cracked up to be, ya know - doesn't cover everything and we still have to pay for our prescriptions too), but we've got high taxes on everything (especially staples like booze), bad weather, incompetent government and an economy that's far too dependent on our friends to the south.

So, even though we're bright enough to recognize a good thing like this Forum guitar, by the time you add in exchange and all the rest, +/-US$1K is closer to +/-C$2K, and we don't make twice as many dollars in local numbers. Hence our tendency to kvetch a bit, but you can bet your Obama bobblehead doll that we'll be gleefully dancing around our igloos when the guitars show up.

:humour: :wave

Cheers, Mike  :cheers

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on December 19, 2008, 07:51:30 PM

Yes, Holly, we're a surly lot up here. Sure, we've got universal health care (not always all it's cracked up to be, ya know - doesn't cover everything and we still have to pay for our prescriptions too), but we've got high taxes on everything (especially staples like booze), bad weather, incompetent government and an economy that's far too dependent on our friends to the south.

So, even though we're bright enough to recognize a good thing like this Forum guitar, by the time you add in exchange and all the rest, +/-US$1K is closer to +/-C$2K, and we don't make twice as many dollars in local numbers. Hence our tendency to kvetch a bit, but you can bet your Obama bobblehead doll that we'll be gleefully dancing around our igloos when the guitars show up.

:humour: :wave

Cheers, Mike  :cheers

Mike,

You totally got that one right. Made me laugh even though I'm still freezing from shoveling for an hour, and I have been in the house for two hours.

Good job,

Lynda

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on December 19, 2008, 07:51:30 PM

Yes, Holly, we're a surly lot up here. Sure, we've got universal health care  but we've got high taxes on everything (especially staples like booze),

Who remembers this depression era classic.

You may sales tax the flower, the lard and the meat,
Take the pennies 'way from me and my pals.
You may sales tax everything that we have to eat,
But don't put a tax upon the gals.

CHORUS: One cent, two cents, three cents in cash,
That's the way my money goes a-spendin
But take off my hat and hit me with a bat
If you put the sales tax on the women.

I love the little girls with their lovely little curls.
If that is wrong, I hope I will repent.
I would sure be sore and I couldn't love no more,
If I had to pay the taxes as I went.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I just want to jump in and second Tuffy's guitar and owner photo exchange idea. Particularly now that so many varieties will be possible.

I'm also really happy to know that photos will be taken during the building stages. The more the better.

Does anyone else think it would be a great promo idea for Larrivee to produce an in-house video featurette of this project as a way to demonstrate their rabid (I mean incredibly enthusiastic) worldwide fan base? The result could be posted on their web site. Maybe they could interview Ricky and get one of his famous "bang for the buck" quotes. Jim and JCL could also be interviewed. Maybe JCL would comment a little on his Italian spruce find.

Oh well, wishful thinking.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

I would like know how each of you decided on the woods for your Forum 3 

I'm trying to decide at the moment

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Quote from: iDavid on December 19, 2008, 09:56:18 PM
david

I started with the top. Mahogany top Larrivees are in the retail channel. The Italian spruce has only been offered in 10 series special editions. To get that top at the price of the Forum guitar was something I did not want to miss.

For the sides and back I went with mahogany to fill a tonewood "void" in my small collection. I already have two spruce/rosewood Larrivees.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 19, 2008, 06:35:27 PM
Adam,

It just suddenly got resolved today. Free shipping to Canadian addresses right from Larrivee in Vancouver.

That sounds great to me. I think I'd miss the bone saddle and setup from Jim but I am less than 30mins away (via TTC) of 3 places that I would trust to do a setup. I think the idea of a Canadian guitar staying in Canada too, I don't want the guitar to get used to all of that "freedom" south of the border and suddenly expect to pay reasonable taxes when it comes back north. You have to curb their expectations a bit.  :humour:

Seriously though, who do I have to arrange this with? Just Jim? Jim and Larrivee's Vancouver Workshop?

Thanks,

Adam

PS - Would Jean Chretien please lend me his shoe? I hear there are some folks who don't have any respect for Canucks. It's enough leave the damn forum.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

I would like know how each of you decided on the woods for your Forum 3.  I'm trying to decide at the moment.   david
Although I haven't yet put the deposit down with Jim, I'm going to go with Italian Spruce and Rosewood.  Still undecided about the soft cutaway and bone purfling.

I had two hog-top Larrivees before and neither resonated with me (even the ever-so-popular Martin 000-15S didn't stick), so that option is out as I like a sharper sound. 

The other two Larry's I had were the JV-05E and the awesome SD-50, both sitka over mahogany.  Gorgeous guitars they were, the former didn't last and the latter got surprisingly chased out of the house by the even better (to my ears, anyway) Martin D-18GE.  Jim H sold me both of those guitars.  But the 12-fret design of the SD-50 I really liked.  That SD was the best Larrivee I ever played.

I've really loved the sound of the L-03R's and 09's I've played, so the idea of Italian spruce over rosewood really sounds great to me.  I think it will be a spectacular guitar with the LS body and 12-fret design.  Whoa, just writing that makes me anxious to get it ordered!

This thread just might hit 100 pages!   :thumbsup
Play it daily for best results.

I already have an OM-10 in spruce/rosewood that I like.  I had a hard time deciding also, because this will be close to my OM in size and woods.  My reasoning on choosing IS/RW for the forum III is that hog tops (MT) are still available in the retail channels.  If I want one in the future, finding one would be relatively easy to do even if it required settling on sapele if I had to.  On the other hand, the italian spruce is a very desirable top wood and is difficult to find now.  If I wait to buy one later, it will likely be very difficult for me to find one and when I did find one, I probably could not afford it.

Tim
2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)

My OO-09 is spruce / rosewood.

I stuck to the Ital Spruce / rosewood .... because it is Larrivee's original formula in terms of tonewood combo.

There are a lot of mahogany Larrivees in the used market... 

Ok... rosewood / IS.  :tongue:

LSV-03R .... NO purfling (until I can justify the extra $150)

ricky  :thumbsup

Help me please... Cutaway or Not ?

I never go beyond the 12th Fret... and don't know if I'll ever be able to make my guitar whine like rock lead guitarists

But, I ordered the Cutaway option... just because I don't have a Cutaway guitar (and for aesthetics, $300 vanity).

Then, I went to YouTube and admired Denis play "Samuel" and "Little Martha" on the Parlor & OO-50 again... and noticed he never went beyond the 12th Fret and such an accomplished guitarist and all his guitars are non-cutaway.

Should I save the $300 and go for the purfling instead?  (the brain & the heart don't agree)

Hmmmmm.... :?

ricky

Hog tops are in the retail, but not in a LS body  :rolleye:

I have a Larrivee OM with hog back and sides with a spruce top

Maybe I should go for the  rosewood, but the Hog looks fantastic, but I have never played an all hog guitar.....

I CANNOT decide............. man..........

How would a hog sound in a LS body?

would a LS sound a lot different than a OM, in general?
Larrivee Forum-III all hog