Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ARK on December 19, 2008, 11:52:53 AM
I hope this helps - all info courtesy of Randy R - 

Parlor            00          000          OM          Old LS      Forum 3      L
· Lower Bout   13.25"            14"          15"          15.25"       15"          15.25"       16"
· Upper Bout       9.5             10"          11"          11.75"       11"          11.25"       11.625"
· Waist:             7.75"          8.25"      9.25"         9.5"          9.75"        10"           10.25"
· Depth:        3.5 to 4"          4"          4.5"          4.25"          4"            4"             4.75"

The interesting thing with the LS vs OM is the proportionally shallower waist and smaller upper bout - a bit more of a "pear" shape I'd say. With the slightly shallower depth, it should be more comfortable to hold and play.

With regard to the above, I don't understand the statement:  The interesting thing with the LS vs OM is the proportionally shallower waist ...........

Al

OK, I guess I do understand this now -- if by shallower is meant a bigger waist ( takes me awhile -- age problem!). I guess this is not seen as a playability advantage then -- I would think a deeper waist, given the same size lower bout, would be a bit easier to play.
Thx,
Al

"Good news to Canadian buyers... Larrivee has agreed to drop ship to Canada.

More details to follow... don't know at this point how this will affect the Shipping Cost... hopefully lesser.

And this I know for sure from experience... we save at least 50USD or 80CAD --- NO MORE Customs Brokerage Fees"

That pretty much seals the deal for me.  Just have to decide on details now.

I assume this would also mean GST only for those living outside of British Columbia.  Just keeps getting better...

Cheers,
Mike

Quote from: Randy_R on December 19, 2008, 11:55:29 AM
Jim Holler has forwarded to me information about the special gift each Forum Guitar buyer will receive. It is a Trinity Guitars logo ball cap with the Larrivee logo and the word FORUM III on the back. Thanks Jim.

I have pictures of theTrinity cap and what has been sent to the cap manufacturer to put on the back of them.

VERY cool, Jim!  Thanks very much....I shall wear it proudly!!!!   :winkin:

....of course, that means we miss out on setup and fancy hat from Jim.

You win some, you lose some.

Confession Time

I've been holding off on my deposit til the last minute...
because of poor exchange rate and all the extra border costs.

In fact, please don't kill me...
I'm secretly thinking of buying 2 used Larris - L-03R and OM-05MT for just 300 hundred more than the Forum Git III.

Now that (1) LSV-03R is a reality and (2) Larrivee will "drop ship" to Canada

These 2 good news SEAL the DEAL for me.

My rationale for my emotional irrational decision (as with all guitar purchases for hopelessly GAS-ing folks like me).

I went to the local Larri dealer one day. Test drove a LSV-11e (because I got curious of my friend's in Texas) and just about fainted. Then I looked at the price tag which says "north of 3,000 CAD" plus 5% GST.

Now, this Forum Git III and I'm ordering I hope... the LSV-03R  --- NO purfling ... way south of 2,000 CAD

Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!  :nanadance :nana_guitar (Kinda like Meg Ryan's restaurant scene in "When Harry Met Sally")

Ok... too much info!!!

Sorry folks....  can't contain the excitement  :+1:  :nanadance :nana_guitar

ricky... YeeePeee !!!!! :roll   ... and my beloved wife knows all this Forum madness... git is her Christmas gift to me.

As for the No bone Saddle upgrade, setup and No gift b-ball Cap...

who knows if Jim has another surprise up his sleeve? Otherwise...

( I may just ask Jim if I could visit his store... when it's safe enough for a long, long drive in the summer? )

Jim just keeps giving us good news... I'm full of hope !!!   :thumbsup

Come on Jim... keep those emails coming !!!

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 19, 2008, 10:25:51 AM
Can anyone post a picture of any guitar with purfling & soft cutaway please?  Or refer me/us to a website with it?

Here's another

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Thanks for the pics Dotneck. ricky

Here is a picture of an LSV-11 and a 00-09FM. The forum III will have a neck like the 00-09 and a body like the LSV if you choose the cutaway. The bridge will be more towards the center of the lower bout than on the LSV-11.Like the bridge on the 00-09 in the background. Pretty much a LSV-03 forum guitar is a blend of these two models.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Danny,

I was about to send my CC# to Jim Holler for my deposit.

Your side-by-side pics help.   I think it will be LSV-03R for me.... NO purfling though.

ricky

Hi Al -

By shallower in depth I mean from the top to the back. When you reach over the guitar, it should be a little easier, since small increases in the depth measurement greatly increase the angle of your shoulder while playing.

But I agree, this is not a small guitar - When suggested, I was hoping it would be much closer to or even a bit smaller than the old LS spec. But with the 12 fret neck moving the bridge further down into the lower bout, I believe that this will have a large sound, much as the original Forums do with an OM body and 12 fret neck, and still be very comfortable for us couch-potato players. You also find this "bigger" sound on the 00s, which have that same characteristic, but the smaller body (thus smaller sound board and air chamber) limits the bass resonance - not as much as a parlor, but this Forum should have a wonderful bottom end.

At least thats my hope - and lets face it - its just gonna be special no matter how you look at it.

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Yes, it will not be a small guitar.  But the overall length will be a little shorter than an L or LS due to the 12 frets to the body moving the nut closer to the body.  Kind of like my SD-50 was, and THAT was a special guitar.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 19, 2008, 11:59:30 AM
Breaking News...

Good news to Canadian buyers... Larrivee has agreed to drop ship to Canada.

More details to follow... don't know at this point how this will affect the Shipping Cost... hopefully lesser.

And this I know for sure from experience... we save at least 50USD or 80CAD --- NO MORE Customs Brokerage Fees

ricky  :smile:

THAT could seal the deal for me - curious to see how it works - does that mean Larrivee ships to Trinity, Jim does the setup/saddle etc and ships the ones for Canadian forumites back to Larrivee? Tax implications?

This is turning into a real roller coaster ride, but a fun one (the real ones just make me nauseous), and I still haven't decided for sure on the wood and other options.

Oh, suppose I should do some Christmas shopping. You know, for other people.

Mike

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 19, 2008, 09:22:16 AM

Al... you're not forgotten. I thought about that too...  Let's keep hoping!  This is getting better.

I hope you'll get your short scale option yet...  but it's not final until we hear from da man - Jim.

rootin' for everyone... to get their dream git !!!

ricky  :smile:

Didn't Jim say that the short scale option was too expensive?

Count me as one who would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Mike

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on December 19, 2008, 02:11:57 PM

THAT could seal the deal for me - curious to see how it works - does that mean Larrivee ships to Trinity, Jim does the setup/saddle etc and ships the ones for Canadian forumites back to Larrivee? Tax implications?
Mike

Mike, I just emailed my cc# to Jim for my deposit and followed up with a phone call.

To me... this news SEALED THE DEAL... and I ordered LSV-03R  NO purfling.

Drop Ship means Larrivee will deliver our gits to our Canadian Home Address - Jim already pays the shipping to get the guitars ordered to his store...

only Canadian buyers will no longer go to Jim's store and shipped directly to your door.

DOWNSIDE - No setup, No Bone Saddle upgrade, likely no Trinity Cap (though Jim may still surprise us - if mailing is reasonably priced).

With Canadian Drop Shipping allowed...
that saves us a cool $160 CAD (enough for a K&K pwm pickup installed which is what I plan to do) or buy more Christmas gifts in your case.

ricky

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on December 19, 2008, 02:32:10 PM

Didn't Jim say that the short scale option was too expensive?

Count me as one who would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Mike

Al - ARK and Mike ....    sorry guys....   NO SHORT SCALE ...  it will require a whole different bracing inside git.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 19, 2008, 02:38:22 PM
I ordered LSV-03R  NO purfling.

that saves us a cool $160 CAD (enough for a K&K pwm pickup installed which is what I plan to do)

So it sounds like after 64 pages of debate, you and I both ended up with EXACTLY the guitar we wanted Ricky!

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

I hope the same applies to many others.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 19, 2008, 02:40:39 PM
Al - ARK and Mike ....    sorry guys....   NO SHORT SCALE ...  it will require a whole different bracing inside git.

ricky

I understand. I was just thinking that IF the total number of ForumIIIs got high enough, and we also had 10 or so folks interested in short scale, then maybe Larrivee would reconsider making that an option, like they did for the herringbone.  Would probably have to get to 50+ guitars total for that to happen, if at all. 
Al

Quote from: BenF on December 19, 2008, 02:43:39 PM
So it sounds like after 64 pages of debate, you and I both ended up with EXACTLY the guitar we wanted Ricky!
:thumb
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

I hope the same applies to many others.

YYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeePPPPPeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!  :nice guitar:

Ben !  :nanadance :nanadance :nana_guitar :nana_guitar That's us jammin'...

Great minds think alike... and I forgot the second part.

ricky

Quote from: ARK on December 19, 2008, 10:37:36 AM
Holly,
I would say you are correct.  The upper bout of the FIII is about a 1/2" inch smaller then the OM, the lower bout of the FIII is just a hair smaller (essentially the same),  the FIII is 1/4" thinner in depth, and the FIII is a bit wider in the waist ( aren't we all these days!) .  The FIII body might also be a tad longer than that of the OM, but I can't find those specs.

Al

Yes, that is exactly how I needed to hear it to see it. So it's actaully a little bigger and a little smaller,lol. Thanks to all for the measurements too. I was getting a little worried that this would be too small, but it sounds great.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.