Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: bluesman67 on December 19, 2008, 08:55:42 AM
I would think it gives you that much room at a minimum, possibly a little more.  Without the cutaway, 14 to 15 frets are still playable.  I don't know if there should be a concern with a cutaway taking away some of the tone?  If I knew I wanted to play higher frets than available, my concern would be any sacrifice of tone with a guitar of this size.  Sorry, I'm probably not helping.

The tone question is why I'm on the fence as well.  That said, the LSV series defaults to a cutaway and I doubt they'd do that if there was a negative impact on tone. 

I'm leaning towards the cutaway just for variety's sake.  I've got an L-03R which, of course, is no-cutaway, 14-fret, rosewood/spruce.  Taking the option on this guitar would be cutaway, 12-fret, mahogany/spruce.  Almost polar opposites, which might be cool. 

Decisions, decisions!  But it's a nice problems to have.   :cheers

Adam

Breaking News

Please note Jim Holler's email this morning regarding the Cutaway question.

Ricky, It would be Venetian soft curve cut a way.
  I am still working on the clear pick guard. I do not have his in place yet.
Thank you
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars

Please pardon us for any confusion this may have caused. As we got excited about the news and I did not clue in to what Randy meant by CS-03 until I saw the picture posted last night. I am not familiar with the Larrivee nomenclature for model designations.

So Tad's early thought before what we now know as Forum Git III ---- LSV-03 is now an available option.

I have always assumed the soft Venetian cutaway as the early discussions of this thread... many threw out the idea of the pointy Florentine... and that Venetian would be the choice if cutaway becomes an option...

which it NOW is... Yey, Jim!!!   It's as stated above.

Randy, kindly update the locked threads with Specs & Order list where applicable, please. Thanks!

Have a nice day everyone!!!

ricky  :smile:

MODIFIED:  Randy already updated the specs to say Venetian (soft) cutaway.   Thanks Randy !!!

too  slow this time Ricky, Randy has already updated the specs.  It was worth hearing it again to have your 'BREAKING NEWS' header though, cracks me up every time I see it now!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: ARK on December 19, 2008, 01:19:59 AM
Hmmm... wonder how many Forum IIIs need to be ordered before short scale becomes a viable option........?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go back to quietly sulking now.

Al

Al... you're not forgotten. I thought about that too...  Let's keep hoping!  This is getting better.

I hope you'll get your short scale option yet...  but it's not final until we hear from da man - Jim.

rootin' for everyone... to get their dream git !!!

ricky  :smile:

Quote from: BenF on December 19, 2008, 09:20:50 AM
too  slow this time Ricky, Randy has already updated the specs.  It was worth hearing it again to have your 'BREAKING NEWS' header though, cracks me up every time I see it now!

What can I say?   Before this Forum, I was and still am a CNN junkie  :wacko:

Are you ordering the loaded version with cutaway?

ricky

Ok. I've looked at the specs at I just can't think in numbers. LS size. Closer to Parlor or OM? I know it's smaller than the OM. Those are the only two small sizes I have. The Parlor already makes me feel like She-Ra, I don't ge the comfort aspect there, but, different issue.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 19, 2008, 09:23:36 AM
What can I say?   Before this Forum, I was and still am a CNN junkie  :wacko:

Are you ordering the loaded version with cutaway?

ricky

Nah Ricky, but I have gone for the Herringbone purfling.  That will look sooooo smart on the Italian Spruce.  It is ordered and paid for in advance (trying to spread my bets with the exchange rate yo-yoing).  I have explained on here before that I have been very grateful to fellow members for help in learning to play guitar as well as learning what GAS is (which is the primary objective of guitar forums after all).  As I am now humbly working on a forth chord to go with G,C and D, i feel little need to advance beyond the 12th fret for a good few years yet! :humour:

I am really looking forward to this guitar being simple and elegant, and my go-to guitar for many years to come, and kind of see a cutaway as contradicting the simplicity a bit.  Good excuse to explain to the wife that I need one with a cutaway next time too!!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: strawintogold on December 19, 2008, 09:29:49 AM
Ok. I've looked at the specs at I just can't think in numbers. LS size. Closer to Parlor or OM? I know it's smaller than the OM. Those are the only two small sizes I have. The Parlor already makes me feel like She-Ra, I don't ge the comfort aspect there, but, different issue.

holly

Hey Holly, I think an LS is basically the same size and dimensions as a standard classical guitar except this one will have steel strings

I don't have a classical to compare,lol. But I'm thinking then it's a bit smaller than an OM but much larger than a Parlor?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: dependan on December 19, 2008, 06:05:59 AM
Thanks Ricky, You are the right man for this deal,as well as Randy and Jim. It is coming together in a way that wasn't foreseen by even the most optimistic of us.

What a time to join the forum, for not only you (Ricky) but Norman and others who just came to the forum and now are having their own "custom made" LS Larrivee. Sweet deal for us all.                                                     

Danny

What a time, indeed! I don't know if I have shared publically but I turn 60 in January and was recently pushed into early semi-retirement by having my job outsourced. As I face the uncertainty of finding a new job I have been evaluating the things in life that are truly meaningful to me. Being a PC guru in corporate America isn't it. Faith, family, friends, and music are.

Now I'm here and ordering my third Larrivee, deepening new friendships, and learning more about using the talents I have been given. From South Africa to Scotland, from Texas to Canada, my growing circle of respected friends will be sharing one of the specially crafted instruments.

YES, this is one sweet deal!

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Oh my, so the cutaway IS a soft V style, as I originally thought.  That does make more sense for this guitar, imho.
So now I have to decide whether or not to spring for an additional $300.  Decisions, decisions.  Thanks...  :winkin:
Play it daily for best results.

Still not sure on the herringbone purfling, but I did order a chrome set of Gotoh 510s for her.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Holly ( and all ) -

I hope this helps - all info courtesy of Randy R - 

Parlor            00          000          OM          Old LS      Forum 3      L
· Lower Bout   13.25"            14"          15"          15.25"       15"          15.25"       16"
· Upper Bout       9.5             10"          11"          11.75"       11"          11.25"       11.625"
· Waist:             7.75"          8.25"      9.25"         9.5"          9.75"        10"           10.25"
· Depth:        3.5 to 4"          4"          4.5"          4.25"          4"            4"             4.75"

Of course, actual results may vary, please check against any guitars you already have to see that a little variation is standard.

Randy also has nice line drawings of the various body sizes. The interesting thing with the LS vs OM is the proportionally shallower waist and smaller upper bout - a bit more of a "pear" shape I'd say. With the slightly shallower depth, it should be more comfortable to hold and play.

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Thanks for the kind words & encouragement everyone!!!

Thanks to Jim and Randy and many others who are making our dream git a reality.

Now, for the delightful process of deciding which one...

For me... I'd like to have the LSV-03R but NO purfling...   I think purfling would make sense for the non-cutaways.

I guess, one has to take a look at a picture of any OMV-50 or OMV-60 --- they would have purfling right?

Can anyone post a picture of any guitar with purfling & soft cutaway please?  Or refer me/us to a website with it?

Thanks!!!    ( I sure hope the markets will favor CAD & other currencies by Spring 09 ).  :thumb

ricky  :nana_guitar

MODIFIED:  I copied and pasted Tad's Table of Specs courtesy of Randy into my Word Processor so now I have a copy.  You may wish to do the same. Might be a good idea for future reference. Thanks Tad & Randy

Quote from: strawintogold on December 19, 2008, 09:39:41 AM
I don't have a classical to compare,lol. But I'm thinking then it's a bit smaller than an OM but much larger than a Parlor?

holly

Holly,
I would say you are correct.  The upper bout of the FIII is about a 1/2" inch smaller then the OM, the lower bout of the FIII is just a hair smaller (essentially the same),  the FIII is 1/4" thinner in depth, and the FIII is a bit wider in the waist ( aren't we all these days!) .  The FIII body might also be a tad longer than that of the OM, but I can't find those specs.

Al

Quote from: tadol on December 19, 2008, 10:23:40 AM
Holly ( and all ) -

Parlor            00          000          OM          Old LS      Forum 3      L
· Lower Bout   13.25"            14"          15"          15.25"       15"          15.25"       16"
· Upper Bout       9.5             10"          11"          11.75"       11"          11.25"       11.625"
· Waist:             7.75"          8.25"      9.25"         9.5"          9.75"        10"           10.25"
· Depth:        3.5 to 4"          4"          4.5"          4.25"          4"            4"             4.75"

Of course, actual results may vary, please check against any guitars you already have to see that a little variation is standard.

Randy also has nice line drawings of the various body sizes. The interesting thing with the LS vs OM is the proportionally shallower waist and smaller upper bout - a bit more of a "pear" shape I'd say. With the slightly shallower depth, it should be more comfortable to hold and play.

Tad

Tad, thanks, this is a great chart.  We should all take a good long look at this chart to remind ourselves that our Forum III LS is NOT a "small" guitar.  It looks to me like it is very similar to a Larrivee OM (and Larrivee OMs seem to be one of the larger "OM" size production guitars).  The FIII with a wider waist may make it feel even bigger than an OM - however being a bit shallower may help improve the comfort level substantially.   Of course I am just speculating at this point...but this is far from being a nice small comfy little git to hold on the couch.  I need to keep reminding myself this, as the "S" in LS means small, however small compared to the L model, which a nice full-sized guitar, with its 16" lower bout.
Scott

RS-2

· Lower Bout   13.25"            14"          15"          15.25"       15"          15.25"       16"
· Waist:             7.75"          8.25"      9.25"         9.5"          9.75"        10"           10.25"

The interesting thing with the LS vs OM is the proportionally shallower waist and smaller upper bout - a bit more of a "pear" shape I'd say. With the slightly shallower depth, it should be more comfortable to hold and play.

With regard to the above, I don't understand the statement:  The interesting thing with the LS vs OM is the proportionally shallower waist ...........

Al

Jim Holler has forwarded to me information about the special gift each Forum Guitar buyer will receive. It is a Trinity Guitars logo ball cap with the Larrivee logo and the word FORUM III on the back. Thanks Jim.

I have pictures of theTrinity cap and what has been sent to the cap manufacturer to put on the back of them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Breaking News...

Good news to Canadian buyers... Larrivee has agreed to drop ship to Canada.

More details to follow... don't know at this point how this will affect the Shipping Cost... hopefully lesser.

And this I know for sure from experience... we save at least 50USD or 80CAD --- NO MORE Customs Brokerage Fees

Hurraaaayyyy !!!   :nanadance  (read... Hurry and sign up with deposit)  :winkin:

Go Jim !!!  You da man !!!....   Many thanks for enduring all my emails & endless questions!!!

ricky  :smile:

Clear Pickguards - N O N E

will NOT be available according to Jim Holler.

Sorry folks... Jim was trying his best to restock this clear PGs, but Larrivee says no longer available.

ricky