Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My 12 fret 00-09 is great, lots of fun. :guitar

Whew! I'm a newbie to the forum and appear to have arrived at the right time to possibly jump on board for this special order...too bad the short scale thing didn't fly, that would have sealed the deal.

To the gentleman from Edmonton who went to Calgary to buy a Taylor - why? There's a few places in Edmonton that sell 'em - I used to live there and bought my first good guitar there (a Martin 000C-16RGTE, eventually sold it, just wasn't comfortable after awhile).

Might as well come clean, I've got a bit of GAS like so many others on here...my favourites are an old Larrivee L19 (circa 1981) found used in Edmonton a couple of years ago, and a '96 Taylor 814ce bought sight unseen on ebay about six years ago. They're both lefties...because I am.

Mike

Oh - one more thing - I'm looking for a guitar primarily for fingerstyle playing that has a really "woody" sound - any opinions on this in general and in particular which of the Forum III's might fit the bill best? hog/hog? hog/spruce?

Thanks, Mike

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on December 17, 2008, 11:44:34 PM
Whew! I'm a newbie to the forum and appear to have arrived at the right time to possibly jump on board for this special order...too bad the short scale thing didn't fly, that would have sealed the deal.

To the gentleman from Edmonton who went to Calgary to buy a Taylor - why? There's a few places in Edmonton that sell 'em - I used to live there and bought my first good guitar there (a Martin 000C-16RGTE, eventually sold it, just wasn't comfortable after awhile).

Might as well come clean, I've got a bit of GAS like so many others on here...my favourites are an old Larrivee L19 (circa 1981) found used in Edmonton a couple of years ago, and a '96 Taylor 814ce bought sight unseen on ebay about six years ago. They're both lefties...because I am.

Mike

Well this is your chance to own a brand new custom Forum III left handed git from the very town in your signature. What more do you want? 3 tonewood choices to boot....
             just sign on the dotted line............................................................
Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on December 17, 2008, 11:48:21 PM
Oh - one more thing - I'm looking for a guitar primarily for fingerstyle playing that has a really "woody" sound - any opinions on this in general and in particular which of the Forum III's might fit the bill best? hog/hog? hog/spruce?

Thanks, Mike
Either one of those will do nicely, or maybe the RW/IS.

I think these will be the BEST sounding Larrivees ever made. If I could I would buy one of each :guitar :guitar :guitar

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on December 17, 2008, 11:44:34 PM

Mike,

Kudos to you!    Have to admire anyone who would go through nearly 60 full screens of posts on this thread alone.  I wonder if you read the first part... entitled "Orphaned Larris - What if...??? "  - which eventually led to this one.

I would be that chap from Edmonton who bought a Taylor from Calgary... Somehow the dealer 3 hours south of me had the guitar I wanted and a better deal. I didn't quite like the employees at the local dealer, but the owner seems to be a decent fellow.

If you sign up for this Forum Git III,     we're trying to make an arrangement for a local pick-up.  Though seemingly far fetched, it does not make sense for the git to travel south of the border when it's already made locally (Vancouver, BC).  Good time to put a deposit too, as our CAD is ever so slowly edging up from sub-80cents to around 83.+ cents against the USD.

Welcome aboard !!!  :donut :coffee :donut :donut2

ricky

BTW,  fingerstyle? woody sound?    I'm sure many here will echo this.... sounds like you need a hog anything...
as you are aware, the 514ce is a hog with spruce, engelmann or cedar top.

LS body shape

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: dependan on December 17, 2008, 11:55:03 PM
   I think these will be the BEST sounding Larrivees ever made. If I could I would buy one of each :guitar :guitar :guitar

I wouldn't bet against it.  They certainly have the potential to be pretty amazing.  Larrivee guitars are already a bargain in my opinion so the prospect that we may be privileged to get such a wonderfully conceived musical instrument at a very reasonable price is exciting. 

I know it could never happen but it would be so cool to get a bunch of Larrivee forum III's together at one time somehow and be able to see and play all of them.   Well, for me I guess I'd only be able to play a few lefties but that'd still be cool.  Too bad we are spread all over the world which makes it pretty much impossible to plan any kind of get-together.   Unless........hmmm...anyone up for meeting in New York to pick up our forum III's directly from Jim in the spring ?     :roll

Tuffythepug

Quote from: tuffythepug link=topic=24009.msg215044#msg215044 date=12295822 :?23
Unless........hmmm...anyone up for meeting in New York to pick up our forum III's directly from Jim in the spring ?     :roll

Tuffythepug

Tuffy... I've thought of having Jim fly to Vancouver and maybe a few others to visit the factory & pick up our gits and have a group picture.

Never thought of going to NY...  well, I actually did with others from Toronto... thought of driving south to pick up git.   If we can coordinate together, this is a great idea.

I just need to look for opportunities to do some work in Toronto (they call it Hog Town here... but nothing to do with tonewood) and then drive down to Jim's store.

Anyone else interested?  :?

ricky

OR... if we stick to Vancouver and visit Larrivee Factory... that may be more interesting?  :thumbsup

To keep your airfares low, fly to Seattle (3 hr) or Bellingham (1 hr)... really doable driving distance to the Greater Vancouver border.

The City of Vancouver is not just a beautiful (albeit rainy) city, but is always ranked in the Top 5 of most desirable cities to live in - worldwide.

Too bad, we're a year early ...   it would have been great to catch the 2010 Winter Olympics.

ricky

I'm trying to scape the funds up to get the Hog top....

I don't get why more people aren't going for the all Hog  :?

Is there something about Italian spruce that I am missing?????

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Quote from: iDavid on December 18, 2008, 06:12:05 AM

david
Yep, it's nice. Lot's of info available about it in this thread.

david

Some of us already have are share of all hog.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Ricky,

Even though I am no longer getting a forum git, I would be more than happy to drive and/or tag along if you plan to come here. I really want to meet Jim and see his shop.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I'm sorry if this has already been covered in the 50+ pg.'s of discussion before this, but the measurements for the forum guitar on the "final specs" thread don't match-up exactly with the specs for the LSV-11 on the Larrivee site.  Could someone tell me (or direct me toward the relevant part of the discussion) whether the forum guitar has the same dimensions as the LSV-11, or whether it's a slightly different body?

Thanks.

James
Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster

david

If I didn't already have 2 hogtops this one would be all hog.  I will just have to settle for visiting Tuffythepug w/ my IS/RW and playing his hogtop forum III while I'm there.  The rumor (concensus and hope) is that Italian spruce is similar to adirondack.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: J. Hunter on December 18, 2008, 08:52:27 AM
I'm sorry if this has already been covered in the 50+ pg.'s of discussion before this, but the measurements for the forum guitar on the "final specs" thread don't match-up exactly with the specs for the LSV-11 on the Larrivee site.  Could someone tell me (or direct me toward the relevant part of the discussion) whether the forum guitar has the same dimensions as the LSV-11, or whether it's a slightly different body?
Thanks.
James

This is not an LSV-anything. The specs voted on and requested were that an old dimension LS body steel streel be created for the forum.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on December 18, 2008, 09:05:04 AM
This is not an LSV-anything. The specs voted on and requested were that an old dimension LS body steel string be created for the forum.
And we have been adamant from the beginning that the depth be 4''

Wow!  I've been away from the Forum for awhile, and you guys manage to put together a KILLER Forum III guitar!!!

I like ALL the specs, including the long scale neck (sorry, short-scalers!); I just think it will project better and have better bass and highs.

I'm scheming how I can order two identical guitars...a righty for my son for his high school graduation, and of course the other would be a matching lefty for me!!!   Just got to convince my wife (or squirrel away the money somehow) that this is what he needs for graduation!  I did tell him once that I wanted to build us matching Warmoth guitars for his graduation, but I like this (selfishly!) much more.  Kust gotta come up with around $500 for the downpayment. 

Ours will be all hog, righty and lefty, hold the pickguard (until later; we'll see what we think). 

I can't remember (and I confess, I haven't read through all 58 pages of posts, just skimmed...); is the order date early January? 
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 18, 2008, 09:56:57 AM
Wow!  I've been away from the Forum for awhile, and you guys manage to put together a KILLER Forum III guitar!!!

I like ALL the specs, including the long scale neck (sorry, short-scalers!); I just think it will project better and have better bass and highs.

I'm scheming how I can order two identical guitars...a righty for my son for his high school graduation, and of course the other would be a matching lefty for me!!!   Just got to convince my wife (or squirrel away the money somehow) that this is what he needs for graduation!  I did tell him once that I wanted to build us matching Warmoth guitars for his graduation, but I like this (selfishly!) much more.  Kust gotta come up with around $500 for the downpayment. 

Ours will be all hog, righty and lefty, hold the pickguard (until later; we'll see what we think). 

I can't remember (and I confess, I haven't read through all 58 pages of posts, just skimmed...); is the order date early January? 

Mikeymac
welcome back !    Get your order in before Jan 2.   Yours will make the 2nd lefty all hog so far.
Don't miss out on this one.  You can always do the Warmoth thing.

Tuffythepug