Pages: 1 ... 56 [57] 58 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 201690 times)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1120 on: December 17, 2008, 04:50:27 AM »

Also, any suggestions on my next acoustic? Not sure it's gonna be a Larrivee, but if it was, I don't know what size to go to (dreadnoughts are too big for me).

Thanks,

Lynda 

Lynda, I have a like new Breedlove in the F/S section. It's big on the low end (meaning nice bass responce) like a dred but it is an orchestra body. Check out the link for the video review.           

selfish plug but
She asked for recommendations  whistling

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
VictimOfComfort

Ignore
« Reply #1121 on: December 17, 2008, 05:19:16 AM »

I'm afraid I'm going to have to back out for several of the same reasons lyric_girl is (in fact, I was just saying several of them to her on the train home this evening).  I guess I'm just not ready for the Forum III.  But this forum is filled with an entertaining bunch, so perhaps after some more time hanging out around here with all of you I'll be ready for the Forum IV 
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1122 on: December 17, 2008, 05:49:35 AM »

Also, any suggestions on my next acoustic? Not sure it's gonna be a Larrivee, but if it was, I don't know what size to go to (dreadnoughts are too big for me).

Lynda,

Go for what you really like... PM sent.

ricky 
vates

Ignore
« Reply #1123 on: December 17, 2008, 06:31:07 AM »

Pickguards do touch the top so there might be a slight dampening but I don't think you could tell the difference.  I like my guitars without them because I like the look.  If you're a pick player, then you might want to consider having Jim install the pickguard for you should you buy one of these Forum III guitars. 

Thanks for the answer!
But I still can't decide... ahh... dampening you say? So, does it really worsen or not? What a dillema...  angry

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1124 on: December 17, 2008, 06:54:12 AM »

Then get it without, and play it. If you put a scratch in the top, have the guard installed and never tell a soul -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1125 on: December 17, 2008, 06:56:39 AM »

I agree with Denis.  A certain amount of "dampening" my be inevitable:   It may be scientifically measurable but probably not noticable to the human ear.  I'd rather have it on and avoid putting marks on the top with a pick myself.  If you use just fingers you can do without it.....unless of course you like the look.  I confess I do like the look most of the time.   I'm going to have the pg for my forum III put in the case so I can see it naked for a while before I decide to put it on.
I don't really care for the squarish clear pickguards that used to come on Larrivees.  The "tortis" is ok.  I think a solid black Martin style pg would look terrific on the new forum III with the white Italian Spruce top.  Somebody ought to try that.  

Tuffythepug

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1126 on: December 17, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »

I agree with Denis.  A certain amount of "dampening" my be inevitable:   It may be scientifically measurable but probably not noticable to the human ear.  I'd rather have it on and avoid putting marks on the top with a pick myself.  If you use just fingers you can do without it.....unless of course you like the look.  I confess I do like the look most of the time.   I'm going to have the pg for my forum III put in the case so I can see it naked for a while before I decide to put it on.
I don't really care for the squarish clear pickguards that used to come on Larrivees.  The "tortis" is ok.  I think a solid black Martin style pg would look terrific on the new forum III with the white Italian Spruce top.  Somebody ought to try that.  

Tuffythepug

Hmmmmm...so many PG choices.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Chasjax

Ignore
« Reply #1127 on: December 17, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »

Size of Forum Guitar body?  Can anyone explain why the body size of the Forum III is different from the spec's in the Larrivee catalog?  The upper bout, lower bout, waist, and most importantly the body depth are all different.  Why is the Form III body depth only 4" vs. 4.25" in the catalog?
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1128 on: December 17, 2008, 02:46:44 PM »

Because 4" was the standard depth on the original LS models, and was increased to 4.25".  Many people involved in this project wanted the traditional smaller depth.  This is why the body sizes are specified in such detail on the Forum Order thread - take a look at tthat for the details.  This will be a prett unique body shape and size.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Chasjax

Ignore
« Reply #1129 on: December 17, 2008, 02:57:50 PM »

Thanks Ben.  I am concerned that the lack of depth will affect the timbre - afraid the LS will be more like a Martin OM than a LS. 

And TuffythePug's quote regarding Self-Control will be added to my list of classics.  Here is one I've lived by for years that most of you don't want the hear -

"Anything worth having is worth having two of."
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1130 on: December 17, 2008, 03:03:12 PM »

Thanks Ben.  I am concerned that the lack of depth will affect the timbre - afraid the LS will be more like a Martin OM than a LS. 

And TuffythePug's quote regarding Self-Control will be added to my list of classics.  Here is one I've lived by for years that most of you don't want the hear -

"Anything worth having is worth having two of."

Don't say things like that.  If my wife knew I had even thought about owning two Forum Guitars (IS/RW and HOG/HOG) I'd be out the door.  GAS is bad for marriages!

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1131 on: December 17, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about this sounding like a Martin - it's gonna be Larrivee through and through. The slightly shallower body is just gonna make it a much more comfortable guitar to hold, and the LS body is just a slightly smaller L, and with a 12 fret neck this will be one of the largest 12 fretters Larrivee makes. I only wish we coulda agreed on a short scale, like the LSV11. But the extra charge for a 5/8" shorter scale did seem kinda high.  For me it just means I'm gonna start looking outside the Larrivee line for one. 

As for only buying a guitar you can hold and play first, well, I wish that were possible. Too many of the guitars I've got were unknown models to me before I bought them, and only a very few were really mistakes. Its kind of a 3 bears situation, you have to try them to know what is too small, what is too big, what has too fat a neck, what has too skinny a neck, what does the rosewood sound like, what does the mahogany, etc. I guess if you are lucky enough to have a great guitar shop close by, you could spend alot of time there trying them. Not an option for most people, and that is why when I found a builder whose instruments really worked for me finally, I went a little crazy and bought a number of them. A few I've sold ( parlor too small, Dread too big, etc. ) but this Forum guitar is one I feel very comfortable about, and although I understand it won't be perfect for everyone, it is gonna be a unique and wonderful instrument at what I think may end up being a really great price. It will also be the first brand-spanking new guitar I have ever bought -

But I do feel for the economic issues facing so many people. We've collectively dug ourselves quite a hole, and its going to be ugly for a while as it all gets sorted out. Unfortunately, us small fry can't expect any bailout - I think you have to have squandered alot in order to be given alot more. I've raised the down payment, but I will have some 'splainin' to do to the better half if I haven't squirreled enough away when the balance is due.

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1132 on: December 17, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »

As for only buying a guitar you can hold and play first, well, I wish that were possible.   

I've raised the down payment, but I will have some 'splainin' to do to the better half if I haven't squirreled enough away when the balance is due.

Tad

Tad
Regarding your first statement:  Be glad you are not a lefty like some of us.   Holding and playing a guitar first is seldom an option when most stores don't stock very many, if any, quality left-handed guitars.  We must take a leap of faith.  Sometimes it works (all my Larrivees have been above and beyond expectations) and sometimes it doesn't (a Martin D-15 just never did it for me)  I dont' have even the slightest hint that the forum III will be a disappointment in any way.  Past experience has taught me to be optimistic about this.

Regarding your second statement:   I think many of us are in that same leaky boat.   There will come a day of reckoning when the balance is due.  Hence, my referring to the forum III as the "dog house" guitar.  That's where I will more than likely be when the missus gets wind of this scheme.
At least I'll have a nice L-03MT forum III to keep me company in there; it could get lonely.

Tuffythepug

strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1133 on: December 17, 2008, 04:55:53 PM »

Well, every guitar purchase of mine has been so far, an emotional decision rather than an economic one. I'd be content with a used Godin guitar otherwise.

I hope our friends in the USA appreciate how blessed they are... everything is so affordable (relatively speaking) south of the border.

Not going to hold my breath... really it is better to be patient and wait for a guitar owner to GAS and sell cheap... get ready with your bucks & buy when you see one.
Case in point, the used OO-05 in the marketplace FS.

I sure hope... after the Forum Git III - no more brand new guitars for me (someone laugh at me  )  Muwahahaha.... except of course a Taylor BZ/Adi maple binding

ricky

We haven't been able to afford health insurance for years, believe me, there's downsides. Then there's the recession....  Canada looks better every day,lol.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1134 on: December 17, 2008, 05:25:46 PM »

Lynda, I have a like new Breedlove in the F/S section. It's big on the low end (meaning nice bass responce) like a dred but it is an orchestra body. Check out the link for the video review.           

selfish plug but
She asked for recommendations  whistling

Not nice! What a BEAUTIFUL guitar! I REALLY didn't need to see that. However, that being said, I live in Canada and the border would kill me.

thanks anyways though,

Lynda

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1135 on: December 17, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »

We haven't been able to afford health insurance for years, believe me, there's downsides. Then there's the recession....  Canada looks better every day,lol.

holly

I should start counting my blessings.  Oh the proverbial, greener on the other side!

But wait, why can't we have both?   Affordable healthcare and affordable everything else? 
In my ideal world...maybe. 

ricky
vates

Ignore
« Reply #1136 on: December 17, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »

Thank you for your replies!
I think I'm going to order it with PG already installed :)
I photoshoped the previous mockup even further and I actually like it ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #1137 on: December 17, 2008, 10:21:22 PM »

Thank you for your replies!
I think I'm going to order it with PG already installed :)
I photoshoped the previous mockup even further and I actually like it ;)

think of that with a Hog top!

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1138 on: December 18, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »

Message to anyone on the fence because the Forum III is a 12-fretter:  Unless you find yourself playing the 16th, 17th, and 18th frets of your acoustic...don't give it a 2nd thought!  The 12-fret design improves the tone and playability of the guitar in so many ways.

The Dog House Guitar!  Yes it is, for many of us.  For those that name their guitars around here, there could be lot's of K9 names showing up for this one.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1139 on: December 18, 2008, 02:17:47 AM »

I LOVE my 12 fretter. Especially if you already have a good 14 fretter, go for it.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: 1 ... 56 [57] 58 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: