Pages: 1 ... 55 [56] 57 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 212570 times)
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: December 17, 2008, 12:02:39 AM »

Not meaning to be negative, but I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you.

Well, every guitar purchase of mine has been so far, an emotional decision rather than an economic one.  I'd be content with a used Godin guitar otherwise.

I hope our friends in the USA appreciate how blessed they are... everything is so affordable (relatively speaking) south of the border.

Not going to hold my breath... really it is better to be patient and wait for a guitar owner to GAS and sell cheap... get ready with your bucks & buy when you see one.
Case in point, the used OO-05 in the marketplace FS.

I sure hope... after the Forum Git III - no more brand new guitars for me (someone laugh at me  )  Muwahahaha.... except of course a Taylor BZ/Adi maple binding

ricky
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: December 17, 2008, 12:06:49 AM »

i recently bought a taylor 712, grand concert size, and really love it but i've heard so much about larrivee that i thought i'd try the forum guitar.  the only thing i don't like is the 12 frets.  is there anyone else who doesn't like the aspect of 12 frets?  perhaps most people feel that they would be fingerpicking and playing down low so who cares about only 12 frets.  the price does seem to be a good deal less than the standard 03.

what kind of sound would one expect from an all hog guitar?  especially since it is a fairly small bodied guitar.

anyway, i'd really like to get one but the 12 frets is stopping me at the moment.

Welcome to the Larrivee Forum muscmp..

The previous Forum Guitar I&II was a 12 fret (to the body) neck OM-03 and could be had with either mahogany or sitka spruce top. I have one of the mahogany top versions, and in terms of volume and tone it is quite surprising to many experienced guitar players. But if you play  above the 12th fret, it may not be for you. A good test would be to capo at the 2nd fret of a normal 12Fret neck guitar and play. If you run into the body in a manner that disturbs your playing, then its much the same on this guitars neck.

Maybe a C-09 is what you really want?

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1102 on: December 17, 2008, 12:23:06 AM »

Well, every guitar purchase of mine has been so far, an emotional decision rather than an economic one.  I'd be content with a used Godin guitar otherwise.

I hope our friends in the USA appreciate how blessed they are... everything is so affordable (relatively speaking) south of the border.

Not going to hold my breath... really it is better to be patient and wait for a guitar owner to GAS and sell cheap... get ready with your bucks & buy when you see one.

I sure hope... after the Forum Git III - no more brand new guitars for me (someone laugh at me  )  Muwahahaha.... except of course a Taylor BZ/Adi maple binding

ricky

Ricky
Let me tell you how hard it is to say "no" around here.  A year ago, prompted by a post from another forum member I swore an oath not to buy any new guitars in 2008.   I had the best of intentions.   I had just gotten 2 very nice Larrivees.... a new OM-03R and a like new L-10 from Bhika.  I was set.  Easy to kee that promise you'd think.   I only gave myself two outs at the time:   I swore that I wouldn't get any new guitars in 08 unless #1 I could find a way to get the forum I lefty hogtop from Bluesman67.   He already told me that I was dreaming if I thought that was going to happen so I was on pretty safe ground there.  My 2nd "out" was that if I ever was able to find a left handed 000-50 with a hog top all bets were off.  Still on safe ground there you would think.  They hadn't made any 000-50 hog tops at all, let alone lefties at that time.
What happens ?  A few months ago a 000-50MT lefty becomes available for a trade and a little cash. Ok, first out is a gonner.  And then..............well I don't think I need to remind you that I had the good fortune to be in on the forum III "dog house" guitar.....   yeah.... forum III hogtop 12 fretter..  close enough.  It ain't Bluesman67s OM-03MT forum I but it's close enough.   
So..   Make all the promises to yourself that you want.   Sometimes a man (or woman) has gotta do what they gotta do.   I can't for the life of me think what might tempt me next but I know something will.

My name is tuffy.  I'm a guiitar-a-holic. 

Tuffythepug
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: December 17, 2008, 12:47:36 AM »

Hanging out with this gang is like going to AA meetings where they serve spiked punch. 

Typing 100 times is easier with cut and paste, "All I want now is an electric bass guitar and amp." (times 100)

Let's see how long THAT lasts. 

Norman

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: December 17, 2008, 12:53:08 AM »

My name is tuffy.  I'm a guiitar-a-holic. 

Amen brother!   ... soothing words Tuffy... thanks!       

ricky

...  not enough Benjamins for this git-a-holic for an all-hog Forum III,  so, I'm thinking of stooping so low as to ask my mom to buy me the used OM-05MT.

Mommy... mommy... mommy...  but so far, I've resisted.    Okay, too much self-disclosure.   I wonder how low others have gone to get a GAS fix ?
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: December 17, 2008, 12:55:33 AM »

Hanging out with this gang is like going to AA meetings where they serve spiked punch. 

Typing 100 times is easier with cut and paste, "All I want now is an electric bass guitar and amp." (times 100)

Let's see how long THAT lasts. 

Norman

You got the disease too? Yikes!!! ohmy

I was going to ask you to help me with... with... with... this SELF-CONTROL virtue.

Now, I'm really hopeless.       Yes !!!

ricky
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: December 17, 2008, 01:00:05 AM »

ricky

I hope you appreciate how much cheaper it is to live in Alberta than Ontario.  cop

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: December 17, 2008, 01:04:06 AM »

I hope you appreciate how much cheaper it is to live in Alberta than Ontario.  cop

Point taken. I'm not complaining.  But Twelfth Fret should open a branch in Edmonton... man, I drove for 3 hours to buy my first Taylor... in Calgary even.  ricky
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1108 on: December 17, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »

Remember self-control is over-rated.  Take advantage of good deals when you can; it's better than the remorse that comes from missing out on a great opportunity to get a special guitar. Yeah ok I did get two new guitars this year but I sold another one and I've got two more getting ready to go on the block.    I sometimes think we're just rentin' some of these things.
The quest for the perfect stable of acoustic and electric guitars continues  

Tuffythepug
Jagadis

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: December 17, 2008, 01:12:21 AM »

You guys totally crack me up.  I can't wait to see what this discussion thread gonna look like in February after 8 more weeks of winter and 4 weeks to go before the new guitars are delivered  Everyone will be going totally wacky by that time.  wacko  

Thanks to all for making this happen.  Thanks also to Jim.  I spoke to him on the phone yesterday to give him my deposit and he is a really nice guy.  

For the record...I'm also a ALL-HOG-OHOLIC!!!

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1110 on: December 17, 2008, 01:29:53 AM »

Jordan  welcome to the nut house, funny farm, called Larri Forum.

It's fun around here... can't get away from it.

Okay... have a  and I'll shut up now and play my guitar. 

ricky

And Tuffy... thanks for forever ruining the word SELF-CONTROL for me...  now I'll try my best to save my coins to buy used Larris - with  WRECKLESS-ABANDON !!!  +1
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1111 on: December 17, 2008, 02:05:53 AM »

And yes, you guys r the biggest group of enablers I have ever known! Bad!

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1112 on: December 17, 2008, 02:15:50 AM »

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if any of you are even gonna care, but I thought that I needed to at least post this. Unfortunately, I have had to cancel my order for the forum guitar (I was number 6 on the IS/RW list). This took a lot of soul searching, but in the end, it had to be done.

The key reasons that ending up making the decision were:

1. With our dollar being so weak against the US dollar, I was gonna end up paying at least $300 more than you guys for the same guitar.
2. If we could have arranged direct shipment to Canadian addresses that may have helped keep me in, but I doubt it (and I know this is still up in the air).
3. I haven't finished paying for my current Larrivee.
4. I was very scared that she was gonna arrive and I wasn't going to like her. As a friend of mine said on another guitar forum that I'm on, it's best to touch and play a guitar before spending the bucks which clearly isn't an option here.

So, it was with a very heavy heart that I emailed Jim on Saturday morning to cancel my order.

Quite honestly, I have no idea what my next acoustic is gonna be, and yes, thanks to you all, I have a very bad case of GAS going on. I know that my next/first electric is gonna be a Rickenbacker.  nice guitar

Again, I wanted to post and let you guys know what happened to me. I am still watching this thread as eagerly as before and look forward to seeing the guitars.

Also, any suggestions on my next acoustic? Not sure it's gonna be a Larrivee, but if it was, I don't know what size to go to (dreadnoughts are too big for me).

Thanks,

Lynda 

TimButterfield

Ignore
« Reply #1113 on: December 17, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »

Since this thread has gotten so long, I thought I would add a sub-topic to it to keep the record going. 

I would like to try playing some classical on my IS/RW maybe using some light PB or some silk/steel or silk/bronze.  Any thoughts on whether this may work?  For your FG3, what kind of music are you looking to play and what kind of strings are you planning to use?

Thanks.

Tim

2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)
mymidea

Ignore
« Reply #1114 on: December 17, 2008, 03:07:38 AM »

Are you worry about source of goods for your shop?
Are you worry about the expensive price for your source of goods?
Pls visit www.welljordan.com at once,and contact us with:

welcome
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1115 on: December 17, 2008, 03:11:25 AM »

Did we just get spammed?

Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1116 on: December 17, 2008, 03:12:20 AM »

Are you worry about source of goods for your shop?
Are you worry about the expensive price for your source of goods?
Pls visit www.welljordan.com at once,and contact us with:

welcome

delete spammer... kill rover....

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1117 on: December 17, 2008, 03:18:05 AM »

4. I was very scared that she was gonna arrive and I wasn't going to like her. As a friend of mine said on another guitar forum that I'm on, it's best to touch and play a guitar before spending the bucks which clearly isn't an option here.

I can understand backing out of the order if it isn't right for you. All of the financial reasons make sense to me.  But the feel/touch policy seems weird since you've got a Rick on order.  Do you have experience with ricks? They are a kind of specialty guitar...I wanted one for years and once I got one I kept it about six months since I really had no need for its tone....I think the Forum LS would be much more useful (although I have no idea what kind of music you play....)

BTW...I think I still have a stereo cable around if you have a need for it (if the rick ever comes in....)

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1118 on: December 17, 2008, 03:40:12 AM »

lyric_girl,

if you are not 100% sure about this, I think you've made a right choice.

It is a lot of money to spend it on a guitar that you aren't sure of.. (I have had saved for over a year and a half for my guitar fund..)

I hoe you can find the right guitar! if the dreadnought is too big for you.. have you tried a slopped dread(eg. J45)?  Gibson has a real nice small body guitars... or SCGC, Lowden, Collings have fantastic small body guitars as well...!

Jeffrey

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1119 on: December 17, 2008, 03:49:20 AM »

lyric_girl,

if you are not 100% sure about this, I think you've made a right choice.

It is a lot of money to spend it on a guitar that you aren't sure of.. (I have had saved for over a year and a half for my guitar fund..)

I hoe you can find the right guitar! if the dreadnought is too big for you.. have you tried a slopped dread(eg. J45)?  Gibson has a real nice small body guitars... or SCGC, Lowden, Collings have fantastic small body guitars as well...!

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your kind words.

Will spend some time googling for my next acoustic. I REALLY shouldn't even be thinking about this since the Ric is on order, but one can always dream.

I had really hoped to be part of the forum guitar, but for me, it's not meant to be.

Lynda

Pages: 1 ... 55 [56] 57 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: