Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: vates on December 16, 2008, 04:12:19 AM
Sorry for asking, but I haven't found this yet:
Will it be satin-finished like all -03s or gloss? Many thanks!

Satin finish, which should look nice on the very light Italian spruce, if that be your choice.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Thank you!

I think it will...
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 15, 2008, 06:22:30 PM
Danny
Yeah, .....just imagine it with a herringbone rosette and a beautiful mahogany top  :roll

I am seriously thinking about getting the MT top, short on cash.. but I may swing it.  I am kind of surprised that more people aren't going for the HOG.  I've tried to read through this post, but this is a lot here.

What is so special about the Italian spruce? It must be something  :thumbsup

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Well, I've got one more question here. sorry, if it's too n00b

I'm thinking about tortoise pickguard option. I think I will play more fingerstyle on this guitar with just occasional (up to 1/3 of playing time)  flatpicking and chord-playing (just because I think this guitar will sound better under fingers (please, correct me if I'm wrong)... and I've got a D for strumming after all). But I like the looks of a guitar with t.pickguard very much.
So the question is: will a pickguard somewhat worsen the sound of an LS? Considering the body is small and such... Maybe someone's got a proper experience. Many thanks in advance!
Serge

2009 Larrivée A-33

Quote from: vates on December 16, 2008, 04:12:19 AM
Sorry for asking, but I haven't found this yet:
Will it be satin-finished like all -03s or gloss? Many thanks!

It's satin.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Thank you! Any suggestions on my second question?
Serge

2009 Larrivée A-33

Quote from: vates on December 16, 2008, 09:00:54 AM
Thank you! Any suggestions on my second question?

Pickguards do touch the top so there might be a slight dampening but I don't think you could tell the difference.  I like my guitars without them because I like the look.  If you're a pick player, then you might want to consider having Jim install the pickguard for you should you buy one of these Forum III guitars. 

Is anyone else besides myself considering having a Larrivee clear pickguard installed? I expect I'd have to have Jim H. purchase it at extra cost.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Randy - I'm considering the same. But I don't know if I want it installed immediately -  Then again, I'm still torn between the IS/RW and IS/Hog - RW on order, but  . . . . . .

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Randy, a clear pickguard is a great idea. Will have to make a mental note ...
Greg

Larrivée L-05 Red Spruce Top
DeArmond M-68 Moon Blue
Fender Bullet S-2 Sunburst
Fender Telecaster Thinline
Peavey Predator

For the "IS" that would be nice. But as an extra in the case for  me. Either way is good though. I probably won't install any P.G.

I'm going without for now and see how I like it.  Right now, I see the guitar as primarliy a fingerpicker for me, but we'll see what happens when I get it!

I am considering the MT.

I wonder if the label will say "Handcrafted in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada"? I always liked that touch. Might have to sell my D-03R to swing it, but this is a pretty tempting offer.

Quote from: WVUBAMA on December 16, 2008, 02:24:34 PM
I am considering the MT.

I wonder if the label will say "Handcrafted in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada"? I always liked that touch. Might have to sell my D-03R to swing it, but this is a pretty tempting offer.

Go for it !   Us hoggies always welcome another hog fan.   My Om-03R label reads "Handcrafted in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada" as you said. 
The forum III will be made in the same shop so it probably will carry the same wording with the addition of "Forum Guitar III " and, of course, signed by JCL.

Tuffythepug

i recently bought a taylor 712, grand concert size, and really love it but i've heard so much about larrivee that i thought i'd try the forum guitar.  the only thing i don't like is the 12 frets.  is there anyone else who doesn't like the aspect of 12 frets?  perhaps most people feel that they would be fingerpicking and playing down low so who cares about only 12 frets.  the price does seem to be a good deal less than the standard 03.

what kind of sound would one expect from an all hog guitar?  especially since it is a fairly small bodied guitar.

anyway, i'd really like to get one but the 12 frets is stopping me at the moment.

Quote from: muscmp on December 16, 2008, 02:51:28 PM
i recently bought a taylor 712, grand concert size, and really love it but i've heard so much about larrivee that i thought i'd try the forum guitar.  the only thing i don't like is the 12 frets.  is there anyone else who doesn't like the aspect of 12 frets?  perhaps most people feel that they would be fingerpicking and playing down low so who cares about only 12 frets.  the price does seem to be a good deal less than the standard 03.

what kind of sound would one expect from an all hog guitar?  especially since it is a fairly small bodied guitar.

anyway, i'd really like to get one but the 12 frets is stopping me at the moment.

:welcome:   to the Larrivee forum      :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut
One advantage of the 12 frets and keeping the scale lenth to 25.5" is that bridge is moved away from the sound hold the equivilent of the 'lost' frets.  This moves the bridge to the center of the lower bout and drives the top more effiecently. It also seems to really enhance the bass response. This has been my experience with my 12 fret all Hog OM.

You also mention 'fairly' small bodied guitar.  Per the specs on the spec thread the lower bout will be the same exact size as my OM, 15-1/4".  The upper bout will be a bit smaller, but the waist will be bigger. So probably a wash for same basic size as an OM.  ( less the 1/4" thinner body ).. The shape will be different, but the size will be very similar to an OM..

As for sound, Hog is different.  Try a search to find disscussions about the differences.   Many here really love the sound of All Mahogany guitars.  I know I do.   And this is a chance to get REAL Mahogany at a great price.  Its getting rarer.

ds :beer 
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

I actually prefer 12 fret guitars. Maybe it's imagination, but I think they do have better bass.

I have a buddy that makes a living as a classical guitar player and he makes playing the higher frets look effortless. No 14 fret, no cutaway on his guitars.

The bridge placement in the 'center of mass' seems to make good engineering sense.

Plus, 12 fretters look good! :coffee

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 16, 2008, 02:48:49 PM
Go for it !   Us hoggies always welcome another hog fan.   My Om-03R label reads "Handcrafted in Vancouvefr, British Columbia, Canada" as you said. 
The forum III will be made in the same shop so it probably will carry the same wording with the addition of "Forum Guitar III " and, of course, signed by JC

Tuffy... your guitar label that says "handcrafted..." sounds much more emphatic than simply Made in Van, BC or Made in Canada.

A stickler for details... this is worth bringing up (however miniscule or trivial to some) to Jim Holler to request Vancouver factory to have our label say so.

Meanwhile, CAD went up 2-3 cents against USD... as US dropped interest rates... time to put my deposit in.

ricky  :thumb

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 16, 2008, 05:36:37 PM
Meanwhile, CAD went up 2-3 cents against USD... as US dropped interest rates... time to put my deposit in.

ricky  :thumb

Not meaning to be negative, but I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: Daysailer on December 16, 2008, 04:53:36 PM
:welcome:   to the Larrivee forum      :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut
One advantage of the 12 frets and keeping the scale lenth to 25.5" is that bridge is moved away from the sound hold the equivilent of the 'lost' frets.  This moves the bridge to the center of the lower bout and drives the top more effiecently. It also seems to really enhance the bass response. This has been my experience with my 12 fret all Hog OM.

You also mention 'fairly' small bodied guitar.  Per the specs on the spec thread the lower bout will be the same exact size as my OM, 15-1/4".  The upper bout will be a bit smaller, but the waist will be bigger. So probably a wash for same basic size as an OM.  ( less the 1/4" thinner body ).. The shape will be different, but the size will be very similar to an OM..

As for sound, Hog is different.  Try a search to find disscussions about the differences.   Many here really love the sound of All Mahogany guitars.  I know I do.   And this is a chance to get REAL Mahogany at a great price.  Its getting rarer.

ds :beer 

ds:  thanks for the info.  since my taylor is fairly bright then a whole hog(no laughing, ok!) larrivee with a larger body would actually give me a more bassy sound.  may be just what i need!