Pages: 1 ... 49 [50] 51 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 202310 times)
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: December 14, 2008, 02:30:12 AM »

I know you said JCL said the Italian was like adirondack....but I've never heard anybody else say that.

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: December 14, 2008, 02:31:29 AM »

If I got the all hog I would pay for the H-bone all around. I think that would look great myself. And possibly may be the only one ordered that way.

Do you think he would do just one with herringbone all around?   I thought they all had to be the same.

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: December 14, 2008, 03:02:22 AM »

This is one of the issues I'm wrestling with. Right now I'm leaning towards hog/hog.  But if the Italian IS close to Adirondack I might go for one of those.

But what I've read about spruces...is that the European/German/Itialian spruce is all the same stuff. Kind of like engleman...great for fingerpicking...and italian is used a lot on classicals. I've never heard anybody compare it to adirondack until now....

Yes, you are correct.  Italian/German/European/Carpathian are all the exact same species:  picea albies.  The name just derives from the area in which it was cut.  Kina like saying "Idaho Englemann" or "New Mexico Englemann"  etc...

To condense, sitka is to adirondack as englemann is to european.  The latter versions (adirondack and european) will have similar qualities to their respective formers, but more headroom and more attack.  Italian will not sound like adirondack; expect it to be a more sensitive and louder englemann.  Adirondack remains the grail of spruces in my book, but the european spruces look super and sound fabulous as well.

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: December 14, 2008, 03:06:05 AM »

My luthier waxed practically poetic about the stuff and how a cold snap or cold weather in that Italian region or something had influenced the wood. SHoot, I wish I recalled just what he said. Found this http://www.rctonewoods.rcefaluguitars.com/italian_spruce.htm and this is just cool http://www.liuteria-antica.com/tonewood/spruce.html ingore the spelling although 'beeing' is a little charming.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #984 on: December 14, 2008, 03:40:34 AM »

I know you said JCL said the Italian was like adirondack....but I've never heard anybody else say that.
                  I kinda respect his view.
Do you think he would do just one with herringbone all around?   I thought they all had to be the same.
              It's a 200 upgrade, but I thought each person could order it....
                        But that was when 20 opinions were flying around at the same time, so I could be mistaken.
     Jim Holler would know for sure. I don't see why they wouldn't. 200 is a nice extra for them to help the Canadian economy.
                      I guess we better find out now cause it will be a whirlwind soon. (sorry, I'm not sure about it)

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: December 14, 2008, 04:21:27 AM »

I was talking to my wife today about this whole deal, and how through the power of negotiation and discussion, many of us will have IMO, one keepsake of a guitar.
TimButterfield

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: December 14, 2008, 04:56:41 AM »

I kinda respect his view.              It's a 200 upgrade, but I thought each person could order it....
                        But that was when 20 opinions were flying around at the same time, so I could be mistaken.
     Jim Holler would know for sure. I don't see why they wouldn't. 200 is a nice extra for them to help the Canadian economy.
                      I guess we better find out now cause it will be a whirlwind soon. (sorry, I'm not sure about it)
If it were possible to pay the extra $200 to have herringbone around the body, I would pay that as well.

Does anyone know what type of upgrades Jim may be able to do?  As a luthier, he could probably do anything, but what's practical for this guitar?  A bone saddle is already included.  What else might we want him to add?  I'm not interested in electrics, but tuner, nut, and bridge pin upgrades might be nice.  What are our options here?

Tim

2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #987 on: December 14, 2008, 05:10:57 AM »

If it were possible to pay the extra $200 to have herringbone around the body, I would pay that as well.

Does anyone know what type of upgrades Jim may be able to do?  As a luthier, he could probably do anything, but what's practical for this guitar?  A bone saddle is already included.  What else might we want him to add?  I'm not interested in electrics, but tuner, nut, and bridge pin upgrades might be nice.  What are our options here?

Tim

Tim
Beyond the things you've just listed I can't think of much Jim could do in the way of upgrades except, perhapsl, a strap button.
Re;   herringbone all around.  I believe that was effectively taken off the table when we got the price of $200.  It wasn't one of the things that made it to the final voting;  only the herringbone rosette at $50.   If it was an option I'd think about it but the maple binding may be just fine by itself.  I do see myself changing out the tuners at some point though.   I think some antique brass open backs would look very nice on an all hog LS-03MT.   Not that I've had any problems with the Pings like others have.

Tuffythepug
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: December 14, 2008, 05:13:34 AM »

I looked for the post on the 200 body h-bone deal, but could not find it... Needle in a haystack... sorry

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: December 14, 2008, 05:44:23 AM »

I looked for the post on the 200 body h-bone deal, but could not find it... Needle in a haystack... sorry

Danny, I'm not sure Larrivee will do a H-bone purfling for 1... as far as I understand, it's uniform order.

I like the H-bone purfling... but not for an extra 200... the git alone is south of 1500 CDN...  so the numbers look good in USD, but it sucks big time for us up north.

Oh well...   it would be great if JCL can surprise us for H-bone rosette AND purfling  for the same 50 additional cost.

I saw the Santa Cruz forum git...   beautiful...  kinda looks like a OO.

I hope more people would commit aside from the ones already in the list.... the more the merrier.

ricky
jrdavies

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: December 14, 2008, 05:54:31 AM »

Found this article on German Spuce today while I was looking for something else, http://www.lutherie.net/eurospruce.html thought y'all might find it interesting. 

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #991 on: December 14, 2008, 05:56:11 AM »

I e-mailed Jim Holler and asked about this. Some may want it if it is an option. He should let us know by Monday.
                   Thanks for the reply,  

Heh, How's the 00-09? Are you still liking it?

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #992 on: December 14, 2008, 05:56:36 AM »

Ya'll pushing the replies over 1000 tonite? BTW There are scattered clues through out the thread. If you can find the clues and
then solve the riddle 1st you'll win a free Forum Git.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: December 14, 2008, 06:04:47 AM »

Found this article on German Spruce today while I was looking for something else, http://www.lutherie.net/eurospruce.html thought y'all might find it interesting. 

Save time and read the last line
 "Being able to hear a promising piece of wood and knowing how to bring out its potential is what it is really all about."

Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #994 on: December 14, 2008, 08:36:29 AM »

Im sure IS will sound like Pavoratti...

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #995 on: December 14, 2008, 09:08:36 AM »

"Being able to hear a promising piece of wood and knowing how to bring out its potential is what it is really all about."

It sounds like the only line of JCL's resume.

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #996 on: December 14, 2008, 11:44:06 AM »

I e-mailed Jim Holler and asked about this. Some may want it if it is an option. He should let us know by Monday.
                   Thanks for the reply,  

Heh, How's the 00-09? Are you still liking it?

That H-bone purfling would be a cool option if made available.  I'd love to have it on mine, but the add-on cost makes it prohibitive.

I had to make a conscious decision to play the Ami yesterday and my Taylor the other day ---
These other 2 guitars have not seen much action since the OO-09 came 11 days ago.

Like the OO-09...?    I'm glad I got this bigger version of the Larri parlor.    I'll be able to update my feedback on the OO when the novelty is over.

Sure would like to ask questions from other OO owners in another thread perhaps.

BTW, I don't remember playing my Taylors (even when they were new and all I've known) as much as I'm playing the OO-09.   

ricky
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #997 on: December 14, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »

please tell me there's no strap button gonna be on this guitar....

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #998 on: December 14, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »

Holly

It will have one strap button as standard, like all Larry's, and JH will fit a second if you require it.  I am pretty sure that was the consensus.  bear in mind thet the single strap button makes installing electrics later a simpler task.  I think we have to remember that this si still a bulk order, and not a one off custom shop guitar.  I woud also prefer no strap button, but won't lose sleep over it. 

Ben

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #999 on: December 14, 2008, 02:02:40 PM »

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean the one on the bottom (which for ages i thought was there to prevent the bottom from getting scuffed). I was referring to that horrid metal growth that protrudes from the neck.  Or, what some might refer to as a strap button,rofl.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 49 [50] 51 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: