Pages: 1 ... 48 [49] 50 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 212255 times)
dhill

Ignore
« Reply #960 on: December 13, 2008, 11:38:16 AM »

I have to admit the herringbone has me on the fence as well. No doubt the guitar is a good deal, but herringbone just doesn't do it for me! I also thought the original LS specs were a bit smaller...
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: December 13, 2008, 01:00:21 PM »

Come on...if you don't like herringbone fine; not everyone does but the $50 extra does not keep this from being a great deal by any means.
For the record, I would have ordered this guitar with the standard rosette or abalone too.  .....  I hate to see anyone left out of this deal if they really wanted in.

The 'bone rosette is not a deal breaker for me...like I said its just a minor annoyance. My fence sitting has to do with where it will fit for me. I don't see the LS as THAT different from guitars I already own. My original forum guitar (12 fret OM hog/spruce) and my Lakewood (rosewood/engelman) are both very similar. I would have preferred an 05 grade guitar maybe an 00 (which is what I was pushing early on in the thread although that idea didn't get a foothold among everybody who wanted to keep it a low budget guitar.

That being said...it IS a bargain on a unique guitar and I think its a nice guitar I'm just not as gaga about it as some of the other guys. I may still order one before the opportunity passes... I'm sure it will be easy to flip if need be.

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: December 13, 2008, 01:53:52 PM »

I guess it pays to read all 50 pages of banter...herringbone!!????  ick..I might be out...maybe OK on a Collings or Martin...but not a LS larrivee...BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS!  Maybe Forum IV.   whistling

Seriously???  I really feel bad for you then.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: December 13, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »

Are you saying that the herringbone only looks appropriate on those higher end guitars for some reason ?

No - I think it is hideous on those as well, but it at least falls in the motif of a traditional Martin copy.  APply the same thing to blueridge and Johnson Carolina to avoid the price difference...it just looks bad, but it "works" on that style of guitar.

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #964 on: December 13, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »

I respect opinions both pro and con on the herringbone subject.  To each his own.    Personally, I don't see how this could be described as "ugly as sin"  but if you do then I understand why you would want to avoid it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: December 13, 2008, 10:58:32 PM »

Do you know how many herrings were killed to make that rosette?? Someone call PETA!!

Seriously though, I liked the rosettes in this order

1. Wood Mosaic (very high)
2. Herringbone (never liked it much until I got used to it on my D-60)
3. Traditional 03 lines
4. Abalone

I suppose this is because I'm more attracted to mathematic and geometric patterns than shiny things.

BTW, I seriously hope we're all over the rosette issue by now. Let's get real, if the guitar is where it SHOULD be then you won't even be looking at it. Will our families point and laugh if we have a poor man's rosette? Seriously? It seems that the ingredients in this guitar will deliver a real 'player'. Other than tone, I can't imagine getting hung up on anything but price and the price is awesome in this case.

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #966 on: December 13, 2008, 11:23:04 PM »

I want to hear how the Italian spruce sounds... 

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #967 on: December 13, 2008, 11:27:24 PM »

Yep. Italian spruce clinched the deal for me.

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #968 on: December 13, 2008, 11:29:36 PM »

Do you know how many herrings were killed to make that rosette?? Someone call PETA!!

Seriously though, I liked the rosettes in this order

1. Wood Mosaic (very high)
2. Herringbone (never liked it much until I got used to it on my D-60)
3. Traditional 03 lines
4. Abalone

I suppose this is because I'm more attracted to mathematic and geometric patterns than shiny things.

BTW, I seriously hope we're all over the rosette issue by now. Let's get real, if the guitar is where it SHOULD be then you won't even be looking at it. Will our families point and laugh if we have a poor man's rosette? Seriously? It seems that the ingredients in this guitar will deliver a real 'player'. Other than tone, I can't imagine getting hung up on anything but price and the price is awesome in this case.

Well said.   There are potential deal-breakers around every corner on the way to getting a forum guitar off the ground.   I'm willing to concede quite a few things but, like most people there are some things I couldn't have gone along with.   A different shape, like a parlor for example, would not have enticed me to participate.  If they had offered Sapele instead of S. American Mahogany, likewise, I would have stayed on the sidelines.  If it had been full of frills and bling and carried a high price tag, I'd have been out.  What we ended up with, I believe, is a very nice, limited run of a very special guitar that has value well beyond it's modest price tag.  Yes, it's not everyone's cup of tea but there would be no guitar you could design that would please everybody.
Herringbone, abalone, simple rings or wood mosaic are all fine with me.   If the resulting guitar was going to look ugly or simply "wrong" I doubt that it would have been given the greenlight by JCL with the blessing of Jim Holler.  These men don't want to be associated with a product that isn't top notch and perfectly presentable in my view.  
I do hope that the next forum guitar, if there is one, will appeal to the ones who couldn't bring themselves to get on board with this one.

Tuffythepug
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #969 on: December 13, 2008, 11:35:42 PM »

"I want to hear how the Italian spruce sounds... "

"Yep. Italian spruce clinched the deal for me."

I know I'm in the very small minority who are going with the hog /hog.    Am I crazy in thinking this forum III could be a killer guitar with that combo too ?  I've alread got 4 acoustics with either Sitka or Engleman spruce tops.   Only one hog-top though.   I just hope I'm not making a mistake. Someone talk me down off the ledge here.

Tuffythepug
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #970 on: December 13, 2008, 11:42:20 PM »

I know I mentioned this before but here is another shot of the Santa Cruz Guitar Players forum guitar.   Again, they made exactly one of these...but it's pretty darn nice.   Italian Spruce top with quilted mahog. sides and back;   Herringbone rosette and purfling.
Gee, who is that guy holding it anyhow ?  whistling

[attachment deleted by admin]
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #971 on: December 13, 2008, 11:49:11 PM »

I know I mentioned this before but here is another shot of the Santa Cruz Guitar Players forum guitar.   Again, they made exactly one of these...but it's pretty darn nice.   Italian Spruce top with quilted mahog. sides and back;   Herringbone rosette and purfling.
Gee, who is that guy holding it anyhow ?  whistling

Gorgeous guitar!

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
TimButterfield

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: December 13, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »

"I want to hear how the Italian spruce sounds... "

"Yep. Italian spruce clinched the deal for me."

The Italian spruce was the clincher for me also. Being able to get an Italian spruce at a later date seems highly unlikely.  But,  I figured I could more easily get an MT later, maybe an L-05MT.  The IS/RW combination should be really special.

Tim

2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: December 13, 2008, 11:59:28 PM »

I wanted a hog top.. but now that I think of it.

The italian spruce is really hard to come by..... If IS really sounds like Adi. YOU WON'T REGRET IT..

Jeffrey

Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #974 on: December 14, 2008, 02:06:40 AM »

Gee, who is that guy holding it anyhow ? 

I like that. Izzat you Tuffy?

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #975 on: December 14, 2008, 02:09:58 AM »

I like that. Izzat you Tuffy?

No that's not T the P that's Tommy E.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #976 on: December 14, 2008, 02:10:24 AM »

Tuffy, I have two MT topped guitars, an OM and an L and it was hard to say no to a third,lol. It was also hard to say no to RW but then I realised this was a last chance gasp for 'real' Mahogany, so that's what I went for. But, yeah, I get the MT thing.

holly

Um, who is Tommy E.?

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #977 on: December 14, 2008, 02:10:59 AM »

I wanted a hog top.. but now that I think of it.

The italian spruce is really hard to come by..... If IS really sounds like Adi. YOU WON'T REGRET IT..

This is one of the issues I'm wrestling with. Right now I'm leaning towards hog/hog.  But if the Italian IS close to Adirondack I might go for one of those.

But what I've read about spruces...is that the European/German/Itialian spruce is all the same stuff. Kind of like engleman...great for fingerpicking...and italian is used a lot on classicals. I've never heard anybody compare it to adirondack until now....

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2008, 02:12:44 AM »

Tuffy, I have two MT topped guitars, an OM and an L and it was hard to say no to a third,lol. It was also hard to say no to RW but then I realised this was a last chance gasp for 'real' Mahogany, so that's what I went for. But, yeah, I get the MT thing.

holly

Um, who is Tommy E.?
      Tommy Emmanuel....Fantastic player

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #979 on: December 14, 2008, 02:18:39 AM »

This is one of the issues I'm wrestling with. Right now I'm leaning towards hog/hog.  But if the Italian IS close to Adirondack I might go for one of those.

But what I've read about spruces...is that the European/German/Itialian spruce is all the same stuff. Kind of like engleman...great for fingerpicking...and italian is used a lot on classicals. I've never heard anybody compare it to adirondack until now....
   JCL was very pleased with this find. He glowed when he showed it to me and I asked him if it was like Adirondack and he said it was. It was cut in 1972. It should be fantastic. I really want to order 2 forum III's the one I chose Hog/Ita and a hog/hog.
 btw If I got the all hog I would pay for the H-bone all around. I think that would look great myself. And possibly may be the only one ordered that way.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: 1 ... 48 [49] 50 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: