Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: es-335 on December 12, 2008, 11:34:18 AM
Breaking news... well sort of... I can't believe this happened.....

I woke up this morning, put on my slippers and went to the kitchen for break fast..  and my wife calls me up from the basement, and yells my name... So I walk down the stairs.. and the basement is flooded...

Yes.. the hot water tank exploded... and yes, I got a brand new hot water tank in my basement... So I am $987.95 short this morning... and guess where did the money come from??

that freaking money was my guitar fund...................  :crying:

I can't believe this happened TODAY.. why couldn't it have happened like 4 months later.....?? for the past two weeks.. I have been so excited.. and could not wait for this day.. to put my order in for the forum guitar..

It seems like I won't be able to join you guys on the Forum III wagon.. It is heartbreaking...

I hope y'all enjoy your guitars...
Man Canadian Plumbers really get in your pocket, Jeff I could fly were you live replace it and play some songs and have cash left over for a decent Alvarez. But, I am in the business. Man that's bad. Which forum git did you want?

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 12, 2008, 02:59:37 PM
It was originally asked if the guitars could be direct ship to the Canadians as the guitar is being made in Canada. When I spoke to Jim yesterday he said he would ask Mr. Larrivee. Personally, I doubt it will happen, but it will be a whole lot easier if it does. Then again, I would really like to meet Jim and I plan on picking mine up if we can't arrange direct ship.

I was thinking the same thing,it would be a good time to meet Jim. :thumbsup

I guess it pays to read all 50 pages of banter...herringbone!!????  ick..I might be out...maybe OK on a Collings or Martin...but not a LS larrivee...BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS!  Maybe Forum IV.   :whistling:

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on December 12, 2008, 08:03:18 PM
I guess it pays to read all 50 pages of banter...herringbone!!????  ick..I might be out...maybe OK on a Collings or Martin...but not a LS larrivee...BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS!  Maybe Forum IV.   :whistling:

Lawdog you crack me up... where have you been? Creature needs a sparring partner. :winkin:

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on December 12, 2008, 08:03:18 PM

Sorry to hear that herringbone, of all things, drove you away from the forum III.   I'm sure that not everyone got exactly what they wanted; some conscessions had to be made along the way to get the thing done.   I think every decision was made fairly and democratically and then of course on some things our hands were tied.   Maybe forum IV, will be more to your liking some day.
I saw a Santa Cruz forum guitar that will sell for several thousand dollars made with Italian Spruce top and it had a beautiful herringbone rosette.   It was very, very nice and I don't see how it could be objectionable on a Larrivee,   Just out of curiousity why would it look ok to you on a Martin or a Collings but not on a Larrivee LS ?  Is it because it is considered to be an older more traditional trim element or what ?   

Tuffythepug

Quote from: dependan on December 12, 2008, 07:49:17 PM
  I was thinking the same thing,it would be a good time to meet Jim. :thumbsup
After all it's just a short skip and a hop from Austin to Buffalo! You ever think about getting your own plane?
These guitars look like such a sweet deal but I don't think I should do it right now with current local and nation forecast. If I dip into some xmas cheer late one night and order one maybe you could swing by and hand deliver mine, since you'll be east of the continental devide anyway.  :humour:
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 12, 2008, 08:36:19 PM
Sorry to hear that herringbone, of all things, drove you away from the forum III.   I'm sure that not everyone got exactly what they wanted; some conscessions had to be made along the way to get the thing done.   I think every decision was made fairly and democratically and then of course on some things our hands were tied.   Maybe forum IV, will be more to your liking some day.
I saw a Santa Cruz forum guitar that will sell for several thousand dollars made with Italian Spruce top and it had a beautiful herringbone rosette.   It was very, very nice and I don't see how it could be objectionable on a Larrivee,   Just out of curiousity why would it look ok to you on a Martin or a Collings but not on a Larrivee LS ?  Is it because it is considered to be an older more traditional trim element or what ?   

Tuffythepug

Let me restate - I do not mean to sound like I am whining...I am actually a little embarrassed because I assume "surely" folks would go for either abalone or standard...but herringbone would never cross our minds.  I will pretty much game for ANYTHING else, so I thought I would withhold myself from clogging the discussion with my preferences.  But sure enough, the one thing I really think kills the look of a guitar was put on this one!  I am glad we arrived at a "democratic" decision, I just have to democratically recuse now.  No one's fault but mine - glad this worked out!!!
Generally yes, herringbone has that yesteryear look that only Martin and Martin boutiques can pull off...and even those I find gaudy.  I think it clashes with Larrivee in the same way purple stain on the top would.   :whistling:
But this is great, and I learned my lesson....  :nice guitar:

Quote from: flatlander on December 12, 2008, 08:49:42 PM
After all it's just a short skip and a hop from Austin to Buffalo! You ever think about getting your own plane?
These guitars look like such a sweet deal but I don't think I should do it right now with current local and nation forecast. If I dip into some xmas cheer late one night and order one maybe you could swing by and hand deliver mine, since you be east of the continental devide anyway.  :humour:
You know I would do it.. My little wife is an anchor these days. BUT, I do have a "care package" coming. Sorry for the delay and all , but as soon as I get it I'll send it your way.

Quote from: dependan on December 12, 2008, 08:05:06 PM
Lawdog you crack me up... where have you been? Creature needs a sparring partner. :winkin:
heh, thanks, Dan!

I miss the creature.  WOnder how ol' samuel is doing.  But he and I more often than not agreed...even on very deep levels.  So we'd spar against some of you guys, but not against each other.   :cop:

We do have one major difference - he's monogamous when it comes to guitars, but I prefer a full and fruitful heram!   :nanadance

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on December 12, 2008, 08:53:10 PM
Let me restate - I do not mean to sound like I am whining...I am actually a little embarrassed because I assume "surely" folks would go for either abalone or standard...but herringbone would never cross our minds.  I will pretty much game for ANYTHING else, so I thought I would withhold myself from clogging the discussion with my preferences.  But sure enough, the one thing I really think kills the look of a guitar was put on this one!  I am glad we arrived at a "democratic" decision, I just have to democratically recuse now.  No one's fault but mine - glad this worked out!!!
Generally yes, herringbone has that yesteryear look that only Martin and Martin boutiques can pull off...and even those I find gaudy.  I think it clashes with Larrivee in the same way purple stain on the top would.   :whistling:
But this is great, and I learned my lesson....  :nice guitar:
I don't think it will clash on the extreme white Italian Spruce/ Hog that I ordered. I would rather have seen abalone or standard myself though actually. But I am not gonna miss the chance at a new LS.

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on December 12, 2008, 08:56:15 PM
heh, thanks, Dan!

I miss the creature.  WOnder how ol' samuel is doing.  But he and I more often than not agreed...even on very deep levels.  So we'd spar against some of you guys, but not against each other.   :cop:

We do have one major difference - he's monogamous when it comes to guitars, but I prefer a full and fruitful heram!   :nanadance
Well then maybe he needs a buddy, cause he ticked me off (though I like the ole codger) Anyway you could really stir up a mess of grits on the forum. :laughin:

Quote from: dependan on December 12, 2008, 09:00:41 PM
                Well then maybe he needs a buddy, cause he ticked me off (though I like the ole codger) Anyway you could really stir up a mess of grits on the forum. :laughin:

HOW SO?  (To both Q's - ticked you off and my grit stirring - I'm a nice guy!)   :guitar

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on December 12, 2008, 09:12:39 PM
HOW SO?  (To both Q's - ticked you off and my grit stirring - I'm a nice guy!)   :guitar
Well... to the ticked off.. I'm not now and should not have brought it up.
  And from what I remember you would post some very thought provoking stuff. On one thread though, before it got locked, you started making sense to me and I could see your point of view. That takes a little bit of diplomacy on this forum and probably any other. (I don't frequent any others myself)
              This political season took its toll on me. I don't have much use for arguing over things right now. I'd rather say "Howdy" and how bout we order a new Forum Git myself.
                                          Plus in general I like folks, everyone is who they are and entitled to their view. Unless they go out of the way to put you down for your view being a different one than theirs. That's when it just ain't worth it.

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 12, 2008, 08:36:19 PM
Sorry to hear that herringbone, of all things, drove you away from the forum III.   I'm sure that not everyone got exactly what they wanted; some conscessions had to be made along the way to get the thing done.   I think every decision was made fairly and democratically and then of course on some things our hands were tied. 

I don't care for the 'bone either...and for me its a minor annoyance that its $50 extra US dollars.  Still on the fence.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Dotneck on December 12, 2008, 10:13:52 PM
I don't care for the 'bone either...and for me its a minor annoyance that its $50 extra US dollars.  Still on the fence.
Which style were you considering?

IT COST MORE FOR HERRINGBONE!!!???  Oh my...now I'm really out.  The standard looks 7 fold better and is free!! 

Quote from: Dotneck on December 12, 2008, 10:13:52 PM

I guess it's a matter of how you look at things isn't it ?   When I got the price from Jim Holler for my forum III LS-03MT It was less than I expected.   Look at what all the 03 series are priced at right now and realize that all the ones currently being sold are Sapele.    Genuine Mahogany with the Italian Spruce top or with the hog top like mine should command a higher price but they are less than the standard 03 Series for this forum III.   I like the herringbone.  I have it on my 000-50MT and it's beautiful.  I don't mind paying $50 for a guitar that will be virtually one of ...what....20 or so to be built.    Come on...if you don't like herringbone fine; not everyone does but the $50 extra does not keep this from being a great deal by any means.
For the record, I would have ordered this guitar with the standard rosette or abalone too.  Anything but the 3/4" wide rainbow rosette I saw on the Esteban Guitar the other night.
It's too bad they couldn't have offered the standard rosette to folks who don't want the herringbone.  I hate to see anyone left out of this deal if they really wanted in.

Tuffythepug

Agreed - $50 does not prevent it from being a good deal.  The deal was never an issue for me...just if I am goint to drop another $1000 - $1200 on a guitar, it aint gonna have 'bone unless it is a Collings or 'Cruz.  That's all - just my quirk and I will lose out.  I just think it is uglier than sin.   :beer

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on December 12, 2008, 11:37:33 PM
Agreed - $50 does not prevent it from being a good deal.  The deal was never an issue for me...just if I am goint to drop another $1000 - $1200 on a guitar, it aint gonna have 'bone unless it is a Collings or 'Cruz.  That's all - just my quirk and I will lose out.  I just think it is uglier than sin.   :beer

I understand.   I wouldn't want a guitar that I felt was uglier than sin either.  Obviously that's why there's such a wide variety of choices available from so many different guitar builders:  Everyone has their own idea of what looks good, what looks bad, and what's uglier than sin.
Collings and 'Cruz are very fine guitars that carry hefty price tags.  I certainly wouldn't mind owning one at all.  Are you saying that the herringbone only looks appropriate on those higher end guitars for some reason ?

LawDogStrgsAttach...

Just do what I did.   I looked and looked and looked at Tuffy's pic of a git with herringbone rosette on what looks to me like Engelmann Spruce Top...

... and the H-bone grew on me... I thought (just to my eyes) H-bone looked horrible on any guitar low end or high end.

For this Forum Git III,    I wish we got both H-bone rosette & purfling...  (in my dream world - for FREE).

H-bone on the Forum Git III will be beautiful.   (okay, I prefer abalone also, but Vancouver is not set up for that - so I'm told).

H-bone is still a beautiful compromise & adds a unique touch that differentiates Forum Git III from regular 03 rosette.

my .02

ricky  :thumbsup