Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

should we have a poll thread for the rosette?
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 09, 2008, 08:39:12 PM
should we have a poll thread for the rosette?
I wouldn't think so, we'll probably be told when we get the specs and final price.

I actually think abalone looks pretty good :)
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 09, 2008, 10:06:16 PM
I actually think abalone looks pretty good :)

:+1:

Looks ok to me.... :wink:...esp on a hog top..... :drool:

Ricky....don't look to close...this will get your OM-05MT jucies flowing again...they are sweet!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I think the single abalone ring looks better than the one with the extra rings.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 10, 2008, 08:26:35 AM
I think the single abalone ring looks better than the one with the extra rings.

agree on parlours, but not larger bodies so much.  I like that second photo, makes the top look stunning.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Ben, agreed, the single ring is quite lovely.  :cheers
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Single Abalone ring would be perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned.   Herringbone might be my first choice for body edge and rosette but this single abalone ring looks great on the hogtop. 

Let's try to have faith that JCL will come up with something he can be proud of and that we can all live with.

Tuffythepug

Has anybody thought about Maple fretboard binding instead of Ivoroid?  I know it's late in the game and probably can't be done, just wondering if anybody mentioned it.
:cheers
Roger

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 10, 2008, 09:27:05 AM

Let's try to have faith that JCL will come up with something he can be proud of and that we can all live with.

Tuffythepug

Given that it was asking a lot for them to make this guitar in the first place, I think that is a very sensible conclusion.  After all, if it is all about perfect bling, this would be an LS-10 or something, and would be about $3000!!!!!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 10, 2008, 09:30:12 AM
Has anybody thought about Maple fretboard binding instead of Ivoroid?  I know it's late in the game and probably can't be done, just wondering if anybody mentioned it.
:cheers

It has been in my mind all along, but I thought it a big ask so i didn't mention it.  I like the std ivoroid binding, so it wasn't that big a deal to me.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

I am sure JCL has his plan all figured out  :nanadance
Jeffrey

The topic of Maple fingerboard binding has been brought up around here multiple times over the 3+ years I've been hanging around...and....as I understand it... the Larrive stance on this issue is that maple can/will discolor after repeated use...so I doubt this is a realistic request.

JCL will do ya'll right....and hopefully me to...

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: BenF on December 10, 2008, 09:31:42 AM
It has been in my mind all along, but I thought it a big ask so i didn't mention it.  I like the std ivoroid binding, so it wasn't that big a deal to me.

I just thought if they were putting binding on anyway is it that much more work to use Maple, it doesn't seem like it would be but I don't build guitars.
I recall another thread some time back where someone asked if Larrivee ever used Maple fretboard binding, someone else had a picture of one.
Roger

Quote from: es-335 on December 10, 2008, 09:34:11 AM
I am sure JCL has his plan all figured out  :nanadance

I hope that JCL can take some creative pleasure/satisfaction from this project.  Maybe not as much as we have, but hopefully he has fun with these requests.
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: L-fan on December 10, 2008, 09:45:22 AM
I hope that JCL can take some creative pleasure/satisfaction from this project.  Maybe not as much as we have, but hopefully he has fun with these requests.

I hope he isn't personally reading this thread.  He'll be considering the need for a new factory and workforce to accommodate all the options!!!!  Maybe it'll be in the UK?!?!?!?  Sorry, I just woke up! :bgrin:
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

I found the thread that I was speaking of........
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=18769.0

Look at Walkerman"s post
Roger

Folks... kindly review quickly the specs as we have agreed to date. I'll pass this on to Jim... or I hope he sees it, if he's up-to-date reading this record-breaking thread.

Specs are
LS-03 12 fret 4" depth Regular Scale  1 3/4 nut width

ideal details were

unusual headstock, maybe RW overlay and JCL inlay, or nothing, only a few people commented on this
Rosette not 03, and not abalone, maybe wood
maple binding
GOTOH or SCHALLER tuners
no fretboard dots, except 12th fret 3 dots on it or "III"   (there will be the usual dot side markers on the neck for the player to see)

OHSC (orig hard shell case - sorry for those who know this - but there are too many acronyms; I'm still learning)

I think the overall conclusion was to name it Forum Guitar III, although I still prefer 2009 Forum Guitar myself.... if JCL can sign would be nice

This is from BenF's summary.

BTW, I asked Jim this... I'm not pushing it, but thought I'd ask... Wish List if not additional cost: herringbone soundhole & purfling

PM me if we missed anything.

I like the maple binding idea as well.. :bgrin:
Jeffrey