Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I like the Maple binding, I went to L&M today, played a bunch of larrivees..

I almost put a deposit down for a D-40R... o boy... but then..  I got a smack in the head from myself... and dragged myself out of the store.

anyways.. I really dig the maple binding with RW, it looked the best..

With the rosette.. I like mosaic.. if possible.. but if it cost too much..

I'd be fine with any other rosettes..
Jeffrey

I think the maple binding looks equally good on both RW and Mahogany guitars with spruce or hog tops;  it doesn't matter.  it looks good on all combinations and that's the way I'd vote. Since it is standard there wouldn't be any increase in price.
Danny is correct that the herringbone should be on the body as well as the rosette;  not just the rosette.  that would not look right in my opinion.
If JCL wants to build us an LS-03 12 fretter with standard maple binding and abalone rosette I'm perfectly fine with that.  It does look extra nice against a hog top I think.

On a side note.........
Well I guess it pays to save spare change in a big jug.   I just finished cashing in $237.00 in nickels, dimes, and quarters so there's my deposit !  Now I've gotta get those cans and bottles to the recycler !  Danny I may not need you to float me a loan after all.   :bgrin:
Goin'down to the streetcorner tonight to see if I can shine a few shoes.   :whistling:

Tuffythepug

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 09, 2008, 05:59:02 PM
On a side note.........
Well I guess it pays to save spare change in a big jug.   I just finished cashing in $237.00 in nickels, dimes, and quarters so there's my deposit !  Now I've gotta get those cans and bottles to the recycler !  Danny I may not need you to float me a loan after all.   :bgrin:
Goin'down to the streetcorner tonight to see if I can shine a few shoes.   :whistling:

Tuffythepug

Congratulations on your deposit. Wish I could say the same.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I think the maple binding looks equally good on both RW and Mahogany guitars with spruce or hog tops;  it doesn't matter.  it looks good on all combinations and that's the way I'd vote. Since it is standard there wouldn't be any increase in price.
Danny is correct that the herringbone should be on the body as well as the rosette;  not just the rosette.  that would not look right in my opinion.
If JCL wants to build us an LS-03 12 fretter with standard maple binding and abalone rosette I'm perfectly fine with that.  It does look extra nice against a hog top I think.

Tuffythepug

I totally agree, can't go wrong with maple binding.  Just for grins, remember the OM-70 or D-70 of a few years ago?  They had rosewood binding that was kind of bold and interesting.  Just the thing to polarize a group of folks....no to mention the turquoise-stained binding offered on the -19 series awhile back.   :winkin:
Scott

RS-2

This has been a tough thread to keep up with or maybe I'm a little slow, but when did it become a 12-fretter? This is killing me!

Quote from: 58clipper on December 09, 2008, 06:29:39 PM
This has been a tough thread to keep up with or maybe I'm a little slow, but when did it become a 12-fretter? This is killing me!
ALWAYS

Nice work Tuffy on the spare change.

Rosette:

Anything except abalone, PLEASE!!!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

On a side note.........
Well I guess it pays to save spare change in a big jug.   I just finished cashing in $237.00 in nickels, dimes, and quarters so there's my deposit !  Now I've gotta get those cans and bottles to the recycler
Goin'down to the streetcorner tonight to see if I can shine a few shoes.   :whistling:

Tuffythepug

Tuffy... you sure have a way with words and great ideas!   So that's what I have to do to clear the junk in my garage. I usually don't care for those bottles & leave the proceeds to my daughters... but not this time!   This kid is saving all his pennies.

Now, if I can only convince Jim if he would accept our Canadian Dollar at par  :whistling:  la la la la la... hmmmmm... you think he will consider it?  :wacko:

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 09, 2008, 06:33:45 PM

Now, if I can only convince Jim if he would accept our Canadian Dollar at par  :whistling:  la la la la la... hmmmmm... you think he will consider it?  :wacko:

ricky

The brightest idea that ever came up through over 700 posts...  :humour:

Jeffrey

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 09, 2008, 06:33:45 PM
Tuffy... you sure have a way with words and great ideas!   So that's what I have to do to clear the junk in my garage. I usually don't care for those bottles & leave the proceeds to my daughters... but not this time!   This kid is saving all his pennies.

ricky

Ricky:

Hate to say it, but when cows fly! In case you weren't paying attention, our dollar closed at .79 today which is driving the cost of this git up considerably!

Quote from: dependan on December 09, 2008, 05:36:13 PM
  I told you to take those pics....G O T M cool.
                             Herrinbone needs to be the body trim as well if it is on the rosette. (But it could be barb wire for all I care)
                                THANKS RICKY. good job mate.                 Danny
Danny,

Thanks buddy!!!

It's so good to be in this company. Just phoned Norman this afternoon, just because.   I'm grateful for all my Forum friends... shall I say, family?

Agreed. Herringbone needs to be the body trim  :+1: as well & soundhole - that would look absolutely stunning (okay, elegant) against the Milky White Italian Spruce !!!  
That would be OK, if no added cost, right?  You think, the rest would go for that if it was offered?

Oh well... the familiar feeling of waiting...

ricky

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 09, 2008, 06:41:51 PM
Hate to say it, but when cows fly! In case you weren't paying attention, our dollar closed at .79 today which is driving the cost of this git up considerably!

Lynda... there's nothing like begging or maybe a few kind words to Jim and the Power-that-be...   I know it's wishful thinking (and I hate that our CDN dollar is so weak)...

but I do hope against hope... that those of us outside the US-border will get some kind of a price break in all this.

If guitars were just cups of coffee, wouldn't it be great if we get every 10th purchase FREE?  (okay, another wishful thinking) :humour:

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 09, 2008, 06:45:23 PM
Danny,

Thanks buddy!!!

It's so good to be in this company. Just phoned Norman this afternoon, just because.   I'm grateful for all my Forum friends... shall I say, family?

Agreed. Herringbone needs to be the body trim  :+1: as well & soundhole - that would look absolutely stunning (okay, elegant) against the Milky White Italian Spruce !!!  
That would be OK, if no added cost, right?  You think, the rest would go for that if it was offered?

Oh well... the familiar feeling of waiting...

ricky
The H-bone would look traditional and would make bluesman and T the P happy. I guess it would'nt hurt to ask. But I'm not pushing for it.

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 09, 2008, 06:49:29 PM
Lynda... there's nothing like begging or maybe a few kind words to Jim and the Power-that-be...   I know it's wishful thinking (and I hate that our CDN dollar is so weak)...

but I do hope against hope... that those of us outside the US-border will get some kind of a price break in all this.

If guitars were just cups of coffee, wouldn't it be great if we get every 10th purchase FREE?  (okay, another wishful thinking) :humour:

ricky

I like your optimism, but I'm not holding my breath.

I thought I saw a recent run of L-03 saptops a few months back that featured herrinbone rosette and body trim and it didn't seem like they charged extra for it.  In fact, I seem to remember Trinity having one of them in stock?  It would look sweet, that picture of the Italian spruce top that Tuffy posted w/ herringbone looked real nice.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Confession: I'm GAS-ing over a OM-05MT I saw for sale in pristine condition... and it's in Canadian dollars. :tongue:

But hey... I'm sober.  :angry:  Need to be disciplined and stay focused on this Forum Git III.

ricky...    Way to go Jeff... get out of guitar stores and stop looking at them guitars... me too  :humour:

I will probably wait until Friday before I put my order in stone, I would just like to see a little more info. But if I do go for it , I think it will be IS/Hog. I would go for the all Hog, but I already have a 000-15s and I think it would be too close to the same.

I'm hoping for an abalone rosette...

Quote from: dhill on December 09, 2008, 07:15:24 PM

Me too! Either exotic wood or abalone. Personally, I would be really disappointed with the plain wood one. However, I am not the majority, so we will see.

Quote from: dhill on December 09, 2008, 07:15:24 PM

Hmmmmmm  ..... how about a ring of rotating colored ights, like some of the chromatic guitar tuners use, in fact, they could be part of a built in tuner.

Gee -- What a great idea!

Or NOT!!

:)

Al