Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think you should make it the way you think the majority has in mind, "you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself".
To be quite honest I almost hope you price it out of my range as I really don't need another guitar, but at the same time it would be cool to have a Forum III with some special touches.
The only point I was making is that if you want to keep the guitar affordable you ought to remember that
1. Rosewood is always an up charge (check the price difference between any of the 03 vs 03R)
2.The Italian spruce is an up charge (according to Jean)
3. Short scale is an up charge (according to Jean)
4. Something other than the standard rosette is most likely an up charge
5. The pyramid bridge is probably more money
Obviously some features cost more than others but I believe I read somewhere in this thread  that you wanted to keep it affordable. If I'm wrong tell me so.
I don't know about everyone else but I can tell you that if the actual cost is much over $1100 dollars I would consider that too much for a satin finished guitar. It is really easy to get out of hand with options and before you know it you've added so much that no one is interestd
Just my opinion, everyone else may feel different.
Just food for thought.
:donut2  :donut2  :donut2  :donut2
:donut  :donut  :donut  :donut
:coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Breaking News... I just got off the phone talking with Jim Holler...1:16 MT; 3:16 ET

This will be brief as this is my one and only post until Sunday evening as weekends are busy for me... as some of you know.  :winkin:

SCALE: The 24" short scale is a $200 upcharge. Jim Holler recommends the Regular Scale ideal for this Forum Git

PRACTICAL EXPERIMENT TO DO REGARDING....question on open tunings:    
If the $200 upcharge is concensus (that is, we agree $200 is worth it and Forum Git becomes short scale & against 1 luthier's recommendation of Reg Scale):   then those who have access to both Larri Parlor & LS models - do open tunings and compare the tone & sound; that will answer open tuning or drop tuning or alternate tuning question - once & for all

TOP: The Italian Spruce is a $125 upcharge.     I believe most committed will be okay with this Italian 125 upcharge, correct?    If we drop Italian, LIFE will get complicated again! (lots of threads to read)

If we NO Italian, then 2 choices: Sitka or Hog Top as in MT (But this is Jim Holler's guess, it must be approved by JCL)

TONEWOOD:   As of last night, RW is the winner.    

But, HOG fans, if there's at least 10 of you committed, a 2nd batch of Hog b&s is possible (Jim speaking but to be approved by JCL; Jim thinks JCL will be excited if 2 batches ordered).
You have a chance to have your all-hog LS-03MT.
Get busy es-335 Jeff!!!  You have Danny, mary, and other hog folks to sign up & firm up commitment$.    Again subject to JCL's final yes.

Depth:   Jim hopes JCL agrees to 4"  ==>   But this is what the Forum Git III is all about... bringing back an out-of-production 1st ed. LS (1997 specs - thanks mary)

Price: We should be easily in the 1000-1200 range as long as we do not... REPEAT ...  DO NOT go crazy on extras!
Have a good weekend Y'all !!!

ricky  :roll   YeeeeeeeePeeeeeeeeee!!!!

PS - In fairness to Jim Holler, the amounts mentioned are guess-timates (informed approximate amounts)... so let's not pin him on these, please?
Talks with Ricky Larrivee are pending until Monday... they're talking discounts which Jim Holler is not yet clear on.

Folks... let me summarize: I hope the choices or final order will boil down to:

1. a batch of Ital RW and  a batch of Ital Hog

OR

2. a batch of Spruce RW and a batch of MT Hog

Only Question to answer is:    SCALE    is it SHORT (200 more) or REGULAR .....................
....................BTW if we go for Short Scale ==> it may drive price NORTH of 1200 !!!

Sounds good and no, I would not be interested in a $200 up charge for something I'm not concerned with, esp. if Jim says not such a good idea.

YES, I would pay $125 up charge for the IS, I mean there has to be something tangibly special besides size and well, I don't have anything with a IS top.

Now, the burning question is, how much of a deposit are we talking?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Sweet, Ricky you are a legend.  As is Jim Holler! :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance

FWIW, I am happy to leave the short scale thing and save the $200, but $125 for IS seems too good to miss.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Ben, I added a summary. Pls read again. ricky

I'm still on p. 21 catching up reading...
I don't know if it's a good idea for Randy or any Moderator to lock this thread - to give people time to think.
To prevent further confusion, speculation, wishful thinking, etc...

Danny, Ben, I'll leave it up to you if you agree to freeze or not...  I gotta get busy here at work... or I'll be here all weekend.

I hope the "let me summarize" conclusion of the latest Breaking News... just about nails it for ALL OF US including those on the fence waiting for the price point (though still not final).

Great work Ricky,

too bad the up charge of the short scale is so much... I am one of the people who wanted the short scale.. and still would love to have it...       
but me thinks.. forget it for $200..
On the IS thing..  I'll see what people say about $125 up charge... I'd prefer the MT but If indeed JCL said it is more like adi.. I am fine as well..

And people who want MAHOGANY.. Please PM me
Jeffrey

You guys are on a roll. I have two requests:

1. Price this thing at least $2000 so I won't be tempted.

2. Require at least a $1000 deposit. Same reason as point 1.

:humour:

I'm happy for you. Hope it works out.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Italian Spruce for $125 sounds awesome to me!!!

I trust Jim Holler on the scale. That's two expert opinions I've had recommend the standard scale for this 12-fret guitar. Please count my vote again for regular scale, and glad to see it will keep the price down for everyone as well.

Thanks! I'm starting to get a little excited...

:beer
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Yeah..   scrap the short scale.    no bang for a considerable level of bucks there.
:thumb   for the Italian Spruce if it's truly $125 up charge.
The "no fret marker" except 3 dots on 12th should be no additional cost since we are actually saving the labor of installing the markers on the usual frets.  At least that makes sense to me.

Maybe we shouldn't expect much more than this for the forum III.
A 12 fret LS-03 with Ital. Spruce/ RW and clean fretboard and  special label inside may be plenty.
I'm going to be real interested to see If JCL has something up his sleeve to surprise us with.   kinda like the anticipation of the prize in our Cracker Jack.  He may throw in something like bone nut or special rosette, pyramid bridge....    who knows ? 

Tuffythepug

As of this moment there are 32 responses on the poll.

majority wants Ital / EIRW  (16)....  more than enough for an initial order
significant number of folks who would go for Ital / Hog too, though.  If the people who wanted hog/hog and sitka/hog were to join forces with the Ital / hog contingent there would be at least 12 members who would go for that comb.  ...  Again, more than enough for a second order. If we are talking about possibly 30 guitars or more (Jim Holler has said he'd be getting one or two also)  We should be getting some small concessions on pricing and add-ons I would think.

It looks like those who are adamant about wanting the mahogany flavor can be accommodated too.

Tuffythepug

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 06, 2008, 03:33:29 PM
Yeah..   scrap the short scale.    no bang for a considerable level of bucks there.
The "no fret marker" except 3 dots on 12th should be no additional cost since we are actually saving the labor of installing the markers on the usual frets.  At least that makes sense to me.

A 12 fret LS-03 with Ital. Spruce/ RW and clean fretboard and  special label inside may be plenty.
I'm going to be real interested to see If JCL has something up his sleeve to surprise us with.   kinda like the anticipation of the prize in our Cracker Jack.  He may throw in something like bone nut or special rosette, pyramid bridge....    who knows ? 

Tuffythepug

I have to say Tuffy that I am with you 100% on that assessment.  I think we need to specify no abalone though, since that was his free gift last time.  What do you think of the roman numerals idea at the 12th fret? or do you think 3 simple dots would be best?

This is gonna become a reality now, I am sure.  Thank goodness, my D-09 is for sale in about 30 places!!!

Cheers

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 06, 2008, 03:33:29 PM

Tuffythepug
I'm in.

Quote from: dependan on December 06, 2008, 03:52:14 PM
          I'm in.

Danny
When were you ever out ?  :roll
By the way I hold you personally responsible for getting me into this forum guitar thing to begin with.   I was happy to stay on the sidelines, but noooooooooooooo.     :tongue:

Tuffythepug

" If we are talking about possibly 30 guitars or more (Jim Holler has said he'd be getting one or two also)  We should be getting some small concessions on pricing and add-ons I would think."

I concur. While it's a nice thing to do, this is a tidy order for Larrivee, lets not lose sight of that and Oliver Twist ourselves. I'd be pretty disappointed with that black and white rosette. It's my least fav part of the 03 line.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Maybe someone who was involved in the last foum guitar might suggest the best way to draw this to a list of definites for IS/RW and ?/HOG.  I am reluctant to get too involved and make a mess of it.  Should we let this thread continue unitl Monday and then try to tie it all up then, when everyone is available.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 06, 2008, 03:46:09 PM
As of this moment there are 32 responses on the poll.

majority wants Ital / EIRW  (16)....  more than enough for an initial order
significant number of folks who would go for Ital / Hog too, though.  If the people who wanted hog/hog and sitka/hog were to join forces with the Ital / hog contingent there would be at least 12 members who would go for that comb.  ...  Again, more than enough for a second order. If we are talking about possibly 30 guitars or more (Jim Holler has said he'd be getting one or two also)  We should be getting some small concessions on pricing and add-ons I would think.

It looks like those who are adamant about wanting the mahogany flavor can be accommodated too.

Tuffythepug

I am the one voted hog/hog but willing to go IS/HOG.

So far including me 5 people PMed me for Hog, possibly one more for sure.

If you are wanting HOG B/S please PM ME!!
Jeffrey

BenF,
I've been recruiting people for HOG B/S. and it seems like most of us are leaning towards to IS/HOG

Hopefully more people can join in on the hog option as well.
Jeffrey

Fine, since Ricky is not available over the weekend, PM me if you want to be on the IS/RW list, subject to price.  I am going to sleep now, so won't respond till morning, but can forward the list to Ricky/Jim when complete.  es-355 - do we set an end time for this?

I hope ths is OK.  Ricky PM'd me yesterday and said he was happy for me to help.

Cheers and good night

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

IMO, no end time....  until we hear back from larrivee...
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 06, 2008, 05:12:48 PM
IMO, no end time....  until we hear back from larrivee...

Agree
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5