Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dependan on December 05, 2008, 10:42:24 PM
But I don't care if there are any fretboard markers at all. Even the headstock in EIR with no logo is fine. Something about a simple nice guitar seems very appealing to me. Let it's sound be the bling. The LS shape in itself is enough to set it apart from the crowd. (looks kinda like a small sloped dred) I like it.

Methinks you're on to something there. I like the simple headstock.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Wow!

I miss a couple days, and I got 6 pages to catch up on! And a poll to figure out as well?  Geez -

I did propose the LS - I felt that would be a unique but developed design that JCL already had down pretty well, but had been out of production for a while. The new LSVs are a larger body than the older LSs. The old LSs are a little smaller than the OMs, a bit larger than the 00s, and a fair bit larger than the Parlors. When the order is put together, we need to be sure we know what the body dimensions will specifically be.

B/S  -  Mahogany, Sapele, Indian Rosewood, Brazillian rosewood, maple, silver oak, walnut, bubinga, ziricote, cocobolo, - I don't care. As the primary standard bearers and fanboys ( and girls ) of Larrivee guitars - I have alot of faith that JCL would pull together something nice from his stockpile if he were asked nicely. In fact, before going further, let me coin a catchphrase I'll use alot - WWJCLD? ( What Would JCL Do? )

Top - Spruce of any creed or nationality, or hog, based on the choice for B/S - WWJCLD?

Rosette, bridge, bindings - Again, based on materials used for B/S/T, a vote is nice, but WWJCLD? ( JCL, if you're following this, the pyramid bridge is pretty classy, but a standard bridge with very simple diamond inlay would be cool - if not this guitar, maybe another )

Nut and saddle and pins - bone, perhaps a special bulk purchase of antiqued bone from Bob Colosi for a little more "cool" factor?

Tuners - definite upgrade to Gotohs, with ebony or rosewood buttons, based on -

Headstock - a simple but unique upgrade might be a overlay of the same wood used for B/S, with Larrivee name inlay -  WWJCLD?

Fretboard - keep standard microdots, special something at 12th fret * where it joins body * a great idea - They inlaid "California" before, so they have some experience with this custom work, and I'm sure have ideas - need feedback and pricing from JCL

Neck length - 12 fret, same as 00

Scale - Short, same as LSV

Case - archtop

Strings - included

Finish - depends on location they feel best suited to build it. I love both, but prefer the other. WWJCLD?

Model designation - Phhhhhhhhttt!

I hope that covers everything. I don't see my name on any lists - but as long as the price is not out-of-line - OOPS! I forgot -

Pricing - When this was proposed I assumed that the benefit from this was multiple - 
     1 - we get a really unique and special guitar from our favorite builder -
     2 - we get some special appointments and options that might not otherwise be offered in a similar instrument or that would cost alot more -
     3 - by placing a bulk order of virtually identical instruments, the factory can run them all together for maximum efficiency and cost savings
     4 - with all the instruments on a single order to a single dealer, all presold and with substantial deposit to guarrantee, maximum cost benefit and minimized shipping and handling costs.
     5 - dealer makes a small but reasonable profit on the order, plus has the option of extra add-on work for specific individuals ( pickups, strap buttons, set-up, pickguard installation, buffing out satin, de-glossing shiny, ??? ) otherwise just handles shipping the boxes to purchasers, and acts as factory contact for any warranty issues.

In other words, win-win-win.   Well, maybe Larrivee doesn't win more than just selling us all another guitar, but Jim will make some money with virtually no risk and hopefully little effort, and we all get cool, different, unique instruments at a really, really, really good price!

I assumed to do this we would have to commit and sell a fixed number of units. 10, 16, 20 - whatever it is, if we can keep the offering simple and severely limit factory based customization ( but leave dealer based customization wide open! ) we could put out a REALLY good price to the forum with a sizable, non-refundable deposit to dealer,  and do our damnedest to sell them all. The input here should be to gauge what model would guage the most interest, get a pricing standard together, and decide how many to commit to.

Anyway -  Regardless, I am very interested, and would like my name left on the list - 

Thanks -  Tad

( And as one of those who has owned and played the Parlor, 00 traditional and 00 standard, LS (old size), LSV, OM, OMV, LV, D, and previous FORUM,  I know my preferences and would expound on that if desired - but not on this over-long thread! )
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Great post Tad.

As you can see, it seems like we are settling down for Itali. spruce and EIRW back/side.. We have enough people wanting this spec of guitar!!  :nanadance

but some of us are also hoping we could put a 2nd batch of Hog b/s, if possible.

Your great knowledge and suggestion made this project possible!!

Thanks!!

and cheers!

Jeff
Jeffrey

I'm pretty sure that the first two runs of forum guitars allowed a choice of either Mahogany or EI Rosewood b /s and choice of sitka spruce or hog tops.  Other than that there were no other options as far as wood was concerned.  I don't see why this particular run of forum III guitars couldn't be essentially the same choices except the Italian Spruce would be an upgrade from the previous offerings and the guitar shape would, of course be different.    Everyone who has had their hands on one of the previous forum guitars seems to agree that they were great builds.   Maybe we should just shoot for an order that allows us to choose hog or rosewood b/s and Italian Spruce or Hog top with all other appointments being identical.  I get nervous when I see long lists of little upgrade touches which, when added up result in a guitar that is super-sweet but too costly to be bought by some of the ones who helped design it here on these threads.

I'll bet that if it was narrowed down to a "choose A or B" scenario we could get at least 12 people who would go for Ital / Rosewood  and another 10 who would be happy to have Ital / hog.  If that was the case then there would be no reason not to go ahead with orders which would satisfy the greatest number of interested parties.    Unfortunately, no matter which way this thing ends up there will be some who cannot be accommodated with their particular choice.  I would hope that that figure would be small.

Morning everybody, even you have all gone to bed (I slept in a bit - surprise!!)

I have read through the threads, and am none the wiser.  Can I conclude that we have enough people for an IS/EIRW short scale LS-03 (4" depth), and therefore this has been forwarded to Jim Holler as the final spec we wish JCL to make for us, and that the HOG option will be put to him later if 10 people can organise themselves to do it?

Please enlighten me.

If this is correct, WELL DONE RICKY!!!

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: dependan on December 05, 2008, 10:42:24 PM
                       Dotneck... Heh man are you on board to get one of these? That's great if you are, so many posts so fast on this subject, that things get blurry. Anyway I would think you would like a 3 DOTNECK

I said early on that I was interested but a final commitment would be based on the final specs and pricing. I'm growing fond of the idea of RW/Italian spruce...I prefered the 00 body but I'm trying to decide if I would want the LS cause I have two similar sized guitars. It is fair to say I am certainly very interested getting one. Waiting for pricing.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 06, 2008, 01:47:44 AM
I'm pretty sure that the first two runs of forum guitars allowed a choice of either Mahogany or EI Rosewood b /s and choice of sitka spruce or hog tops. 

That's not true. They were all mahogany. The only choice was hog top or spruce. I was part of the first order and still have #7 of 17.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: bluesman67 on December 05, 2008, 09:14:48 PM
Maybe this will help Lynda.  There will still be fret markers on the binding, just not on the frets themselves.  I rely on the markers as well when I play, and I have played ...conicidentally...an LS without the markers on the frets but with markers on the bindings and it was fine.

That would be fine for me.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 05, 2008, 09:17:07 PM
Lynda
Don't want to lose your support over fret marker issue.    Please remember that we are talking about the microdots on the surface of the fretboard itself.   There would still be side markers on the edge of the fretboard for your reference as normal.   I think you're placing too much emphasis on this.   The Larrivee microdots are so small they are not a big help anyhow most of the time.
Just for your consideration.   :smile:

I see that Joseph has covered this as I was typing.  well, here's my take on it anyway.

tuffythepug

Tuffy,

Holly has the microdots, so I understand. Further to my latest response, fret markers on the binding are more than fine.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: BenF on December 06, 2008, 03:50:42 AM
Morning everybody, even you have all gone to bed (I slept in a bit - surprise!!)

I have read through the threads, and am none the wiser.  Can I conclude that we have enough people for an IS/EIRW short scale LS-03 (4" depth), and therefore this has been forwarded to Jim Holler as the final spec we wish JCL to make for us, and that the HOG option will be put to him later if 10 people can organise themselves to do it?

Please enlighten me.

If this is correct, WELL DONE RICKY!!!

Ben

Ben.. that is a big step you just took there  :roll

We don't even know any details on pricing or anything..

Once we get the pricing, some will drop out.. and we will for sure know if we want the Italian spruce for the top wood due to the extra cost..

If going with Italian spruce would cost us significant amount of money, $300-$500 dollars..(hopefully it wouldn't be that much!! fingers crossed!!!)

I think we should discuss if we really want it :)
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 06, 2008, 09:23:43 AM
Ben.. that is a big step you just took there  :roll

We don't even know any details on pricing or anything..

Once we get the pricing, some will drop out.. and we will for sure know if we want the Italian spruce for the top wood due to the extra cost..

If going with Italian spruce would cost us significant amount of money, $300-$500 dollars..(hopefully it wouldn't be that much!! fingers crossed!!!)

I think we should discuss if we really want it :)
Ricky already did this, Ben is just stating the facts which he gleaned from reading the previous posts.
         Our discussing of endless changes and options is an exercise in futility until we know the price and basic specs are "told to us". It's fine to dream and wish, but the practical reality of this forum guitar will only be what JCL is willing to do. And that has been said already in the previous posts. Waaaaaaaaaaay back in the archives of this thread. Which probably needs to end in a few days, as well as the forum III thread. Which only serves to confuse at this point. Of course others may think differently.

Anyway, it's close to the time to seal the deal. Maybe by Tuesday next week we can have the final items worked through and the solid buyers all ready to do it.  :donut :coffee

no way the Italian costs $3-500.  If it does, I doubt anyone would think that is worth it.  My guess is $75-$125.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on December 06, 2008, 10:02:47 AM
no way the Italian costs $3-500.  If it does, I doubt anyone would think that is worth it.  My guess is $75-$125.

I am hoping it is under $100.... but I can only hope...  :guitar
Jeffrey

Quote from: dependan on December 06, 2008, 09:48:24 AM
   Ricky already did this, Ben is just stating the facts which he gleaned from reading the previous posts.
         Our discussing of endless changes and options is an exercise in futility until we know the price and basic specs are "told to us". It's fine to dream and wish, but the practical reality of this forum guitar will only be what JCL is willing to do. And that has been said already in the previous posts. Waaaaaaaaaaay back in the archives of this thread. Which probably needs to end in a few days, as well as the forum III thread. Which only serves to confuse at this point. Of course others may think differently.

Anyway, it's close to the time to seal the deal. Maybe by Tuesday next week we can have the final items worked through and the solid buyers all ready to do it.  :donut :coffee

This is what I mean Danny.  We have enough people if my calculations are right.  It doesn't matter if we have 300 people, there will still be some who will say 'I am in if... and only if'.  We have enough for what Ricky started, so lets just do it.  Surely we can't get a price without a spec, so by my reconning we should forward the basics to Jim to take up with Larrivee now, or at least soon.

We can speculate about price forever.  You couldn't do into a car showroom and say ther are 15 of of us that want cars pleae, how much will they be?

Lets tell Jim it is EIRW/IS short scale LS-03 (4" depth) and get a price from there.  The rest is minor detail that can be put to JCL as 'ideal requests' in my view.  If we don't bite the bullit, it'll never happen, and my D-09 is for sale (I have a smaller market, so may need a few months to sell!)

Ben

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: BenF on December 06, 2008, 10:21:56 AM
This is what I mean Danny.  We have enough people if my calculations are right.  It doesn't matter if we have 300 people, there will still be some who will say 'I am in if... and only if'.  We have enough for what Ricky started, so lets just do it.  Surely we can't get a price without a spec, so by my reconning we should forward the basics to Jim to take up with Larrivee now, or at least soon.

We can speculate about price forever.  You couldn't do into a car showroom and say ther are 15 of of us that want cars pleae, how much will they be?

Lets tell Jim it is EIRW/IS short scale LS-03 (4" depth) and get a price from there.  The rest is minor detail that can be put to JCL as 'ideal requests' in my view.  If we don't bite the bullit, it'll never happen, and my D-09 is for sale (I have a smaller market, so may need a few months to sell!)

Ben

I think that is where we are already and we need to just settle a few options/specs. I recommend you stop the Poll thread, I think you started it so you can end it and if Ricky wants he could send more info to Jim. But I think he already has and we are just waiting. 
                                                         "Movin on"  :guitar III

As far as short-scale goes...I thought I was neutral but after reading a few recent posts, I'm beginning to prefer long-scale.  I have no need to have the strings feel easier to play, I'm already accustomed to playing long scales.  It got me thinking from the comments that short scale could have a negative effect on the tone, sort of neutralizing the benefits of the 12-fret design in the 1st place (boost in volume in a small box).  I am pretty clueless when it comes to the impact of scale lengths and it would be great if Jim at Trinity or Uncle Bob, or some knowledgeable forum member could give some insight.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: dependan on December 06, 2008, 10:33:06 AM
  I think that is where we are already and we need to just settle a few options/specs. I recommend you stop the Poll thread, I think you started it so you can end it and if Ricky wants he could send more info to Jim. But I think he already has and we are just waiting. 
                                                         "Movin on"  :guitar III

bluesman67 started the poll Danny.  I'm glad I seem to be on Ricky's wavelength.  If i have read correctly, the details were something of a surprise last time, with JCL adding the abalone rosette.  Perhaps we only need be as specific as no fretboard markers, the 12th fret three dots, which is inspired, and the no sea monsters, but not a std. 03 rosette either, and leave the rest up to JCL.  The rest has been discussed endlessly, with no real consensus.

FWIW, I think this very white Italian Spruce is going to look seriously good with a satin finish, and these may be the only guitars which have that, since it is a 'premium' wood likely to be used in the more expensive gloss models.

Cheers

Ben

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 06, 2008, 01:47:44 AM
I'm pretty sure that the first two runs of forum guitars allowed a choice of either Mahogany or EI Rosewood b /s and choice of sitka spruce or hog tops.  Other than that there were no other options as far as wood was concerned.  I don't see why this particular run of forum III guitars couldn't be essentially the same choices except the Italian Spruce would be an upgrade from the previous offerings and the guitar shape would, of course be different.    Everyone who has had their hands on one of the previous forum guitars seems to agree that they were great builds.   Maybe we should just shoot for an order that allows us to choose hog or rosewood b/s and Italian Spruce or Hog top with all other appointments being identical.  I get nervous when I see long lists of little upgrade touches which, when added up result in a guitar that is super-sweet but too costly to be bought by some of the ones who helped design it here on these threads.

I'll bet that if it was narrowed down to a "choose A or B" scenario we could get at least 12 people who would go for Ital / Rosewood  and another 10 who would be happy to have Ital / hog.  If that was the case then there would be no reason not to go ahead with orders which would satisfy the greatest number of interested parties.    Unfortunately, no matter which way this thing ends up there will be some who cannot be accommodated with their particular choice.  I would hope that that figure would be small.

We're not shopping at Walmart and the customer isn't always right (the builder is). This is a custom build from a builder who is used to building in larger quantities, he is actually doing us a favor by building to our specifications. Usually in a custom build there are a lot of high-margin items and we're pulling that out. I think we should submit the Italian Spruce / Rosewood that we voted on and just get pricing to confirm that all of us who already committed can join. I'm sure a lot of people will jump in. Right now there is a lot of discussion around points that were considered to be "flexible" or "not-dealbreakers" about 10 posts ago.

In this case, I think we reached a consensus amongst the required amount of people for the first batch and I think we want to inquire about a second batch for the hogs. I doubt you'll get enough for the second batch right away but it's easy enough to place a second order before the guitars are even built and consider part of the same run.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: limnephilidae on December 06, 2008, 10:41:50 AM
We're not shopping at Walmart and the customer isn't always right (the builder is). This is a custom build from a builder who is used to building in larger quantities, he is actually doing us a favor by building to our specifications. Usually in a custom build there are a lot of high-margin items and we're pulling that out. I think we should submit the Italian Spruce / Rosewood that we voted on and just get pricing to confirm that all of us who already committed can join. I'm sure a lot of people will jump in. Right now there is a lot of discussion around points that were considered to be "flexible" or "not-dealbreakers" about 10 posts ago.

In this case, I think we reached a consensus amongst the required amount of people for the first batch and I think we want to inquire about a second batch for the hogs. I doubt you'll get enough for the second batch right away but it's easy enough to place a second order before the guitars are even built and consider part of the same run.

well said! :thumbsup
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: Dotneck on December 06, 2008, 06:32:17 AM
That's not true. They were all mahogany. The only choice was hog top or spruce. I was part of the first order and still have #7 of 17.

You are, of course, correct;   and I knew that.    :blush:  sorry I mis-represented it.  I don't think I should post so late at night after my medication kicks in.   :roll