Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Queequeg on December 04, 2008, 08:42:00 AM

Absolutely gorgeous rosette... and I thought I love abalone.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: bluesman67 on December 05, 2008, 08:07:27 PM
Is there any way price can be discussed on the forum for this project?  Seems more difficult to not do so?

I think at this time its okay to discuss what we think the price will be...because nobody really knows. But once the price is set we won't be allowed to discuss it. Unless the moderators tell us different.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 04, 2008, 06:44:00 PM
Time to update the LIST.

I need to add Tuffy in the $ list.

I need to correct my typing or misreading Holly's userid - "strawintogold" vs. strawingold.   Thanks for the one who PMed me regarding this - you know who you are.
Holly, for $100 Deposit you're in? Otherwise, no?

Anyone else I need to add to the list?

I hear Jim is upbeat about the Forum Git -  that's always good. No news from JCL yet.

Warmly - though it's freezing up here!

G'nite. ricky

Ricky,

Please add me, but the wood choice will make the final decision for me.

Thanks,

Lynda

Ok, I am now 17 pages into this thread and getting more confused by the minute.

Folks, I am a newbie, so stuff like fret markers are still important to me. Using the minimalist approach would be fine, but no fret markers would dump me out of the running.

Don't care about a pick guard.

An exotic wood or mosaic rosette would be really nice, but abalone would be fine too. I just don't want the standard boring rosette.

Short scale would be great as I am having a blast playing my parlor, but if not, that's fine too.

For me, the stuff that matters is the wood. My choice is Rosewood with either Sitka (I think that was a choice) or Ital.

Lynda

Lynda,

I'll add you on the LI$T... and I agree with you on the rosette. ricky

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 05, 2008, 08:48:58 PM

Folks, I am a newbie, so stuff like fret markers are still important to me. Using the minimalist approach would be fine, but no fret markers would dump me out of the running.

An exotic wood or mosaic rosette would be really nice, but abalone would be fine too. I just don't want the standard boring rosette.

Short scale would be great as I am having a blast playing my parlor, but if not, that's fine too.

For me, the stuff that matters is the wood. My choice is Rosewood with either Sitka (I think that was a choice) or Ital.

Lynda

Maybe this will help Lynda.  There will still be fret markers on the binding, just not on the frets themselves.  I rely on the markers as well when I play, and I have played ...conicidentally...an LS without the markers on the frets but with markers on the bindings and it was fine.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Lynda
Don't want to lose your support over fret marker issue.    Please remember that we are talking about the microdots on the surface of the fretboard itself.   There would still be side markers on the edge of the fretboard for your reference as normal.   I think you're placing too much emphasis on this.   The Larrivee microdots are so small they are not a big help anyhow most of the time.
Just for your consideration.   :smile:

I see that Joseph has covered this as I was typing.  well, here's my take on it anyway.

tuffythepug

Hey, how about Brazilian Rosewood with the Italian Spruce !

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.00

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 05, 2008, 09:20:38 PM

If you're buying the wood, I'll buy the beer.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: dependan on December 05, 2008, 07:55:29 PM
 I like the way the 00-09 is braced and as has been stated much earlier a regular scale 12 fret would be a bit louder.

Hay Yay Yay !!! I like my small guitars LOUD.  If Reg Scale is louder, my vote is RegScale.   Can someone enlighten me on the SHORT SCALE - I thought it's just easier to bend strings (which I don't do).

Remember folks, didn't we want a guitar that will make BOTH the Fingerstyle & Strummer happy (read "satisfied"?)   :? ricky

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 05, 2008, 08:48:58 PM

Lynda
You would still have the markers on the neck binding so you could see them. A lot of the confusion is unnecessary at this point. But it seems to be inevitable. If the intire thread was followed a lot of the ups and downs and side trips and rabbit trails have been searched through and dispensed with. But we have still had a lot of good ground covered very quickly. We will have the project finalized soon. Price and a minimum of items left to be decided.
                      Then would be a good time for all the remaining issues to be clarified. Some things do seem to mislead though, like no fret markers. The intention is to only not have them on the fretboard front not the top edge of the neck. Maple trim seems to be a standard for Larrivee, yet the ?'s come up about that as well. If it is standard on a 03 series, then it should be the same or upgaded for our forum LS. That is a safe assumption.
                      Beyond that we continue to just not know at this moment in time. We will soon though.

well I see I am late to answer also.... :blush:

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 05, 2008, 09:21:58 PM
Hay Yay Yay !!! I like my small guitars LOUD.  If Reg Scale is louder, my vote is RegScale.   Can someone enlighten me on the SHORT SCALE - I thought it's just easier to bend strings (which I don't do).

Remember folks, didn't we want a guitar that will make BOTH the Fingerstyle & Strummer happy (read "satisfied"?)   :? ricky

I'll find the earlier posts, I think it was LawDog.... that posted it.

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 05, 2008, 09:20:38 PM

If Brazilian Italian for $2000 USD, then I'd do all I can to sell my Taylor and some...   it would have to be glossy though & loaded with bling. 

Maybe 2-3 years from now?    It would have to be LSV-19 BRI ...... :bgrin: ricky

hmm short scale doesn't mean, smaller sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apWm5lRkejM

gibson LG2.. very powerful..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d49m6G9vOrI

gibson J50..

both short scale.. but 14fret joint..

I am sorry to post only gibson guitars... but these are only samples i could find.. :tongue:
Jeffrey

Here is a little bit about 12 fret short and regular scale.

"That is what sounds good to me, though would like to see -03 with abalone ring (like the 12th fret limiteds).  I do think 12 fret shortscale is overkill, but would not make me out of the game.  I think 12 fret standard scale is better (that is the original Martin set up - not to be a purist, but idea of a 12 fret is extra power by bridge placement...so short scale kills some of that intent)."

"LS-03 sounds great to me.  Tell me when to drop deposit!  Rosewood or mahogany would be great (please not sapele....please!) for price concerns; probably +1 on hog.  Italian top and abalone rosette would be my preferred extras...but that is it.  Short or long scale is no bother, but I hold to my earlier post that long scale would be better for tone on these specs."

This was from LawDogStringsAttach  earlier posts

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 05, 2008, 09:17:07 PM
Lynda
Don't want to lose your support over fret marker issue. Please remember that we are talking about the microdots on the surface of the fretboard itself.

I think no fret markers is classy.

Three microdots on the 12th fret would be okay (I suppose) but I think I may be the only one to say I don't really care for them. And I think thee roman numeral "I" would look silly. And I'm not sure JCL would do that without another upcharge....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: kaos on December 05, 2008, 07:30:50 PM
These were the specs from a Jan 1, 1997 catalog:
Larrivée Small Body & Small Cutaway Guitars (designated LS and CS)
  15" lower bout
  11" upper bout
  9 3/4" waiste
  19 1/2" length
  4" maximum depth
  25 1/2" scale

mary
This is the specs we need (or less, not greater for sure).  Thanks Mary

HERE IS A LINK WHERE IN THE 1ST THREAD TADOL SHOWED PICS OF A LS and 00 WITH AN OM.
                            http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=23989.msg211184#msg211184

This was posted in the other thread still open on these matters, and this should be read and seen by all who are interested in the Forum guitar. It will help you understand the size we are shooting for.
      If it is a 12 fret short scale (which is fine by me) I believe the neck will be short itself, like the Parlor. Regular scale 12 fret would be the same as a 00-09. If this is true, I lean towards the regular scale. Still, I don't care which way we go. Both end up being very cool to me. :guitar

Quote from: Dotneck on December 05, 2008, 10:14:21 PM
I think no fret markers is classy.

Three microdots on the 12th fret would be okay (I suppose) but I think I may be the only one to say I don't really care for them. And I think thee roman numeral "I" would look silly. And I'm not sure JCL would do that without another upcharge....
Dotneck... Heh man are you on board to get one of these? That's great if you are, so many posts so fast on this subject, that things get blurry. Anyway I would think you would like a 3 DOTNECK :winkin:
                                   Sorry, Dotneck, it's late and I couldn't resist.

But I don't care if there are any fretboard markers at all. Even the headstock in EIR with no logo is fine. Something about a simple nice guitar seems very appealing to me. Let it's sound be the bling. The LS shape in itself is enough to set it apart from the crowd. (looks kinda like a small sloped dred) I like it.

for the inlay.. how about micro dots at 5 7 9 12 15 17 fret.. like a normal guitar..

but have 2 dots on the 7 and 12th fret..

like some martins do....... :whistling:
Jeffrey

Found this on p. 9 as of last Tuesday evening... it's Friday late night now...

THE LIST:

1. $ Danny dependan
2. $ Adam limnephildae
3. $ ricky rpm60912
4. $ Jeff es-335
5. $ Jim Holler
6. $ Trinity Guitars
7. $ mary kaos (but changed her mind to HOG??? unless she's convinced w Danny's 1-liner)
8. $ LawDogStrgsAttach
9. $ Tuffythepug
10 $ BenF
11 $ Lynda (RW or out)
12 $ Al ARK (short scale or out)
bluesman67
Dale
Holly Strawintogold (no animal products or out; OPTION: stuffed with Pesos :laughin:)
Tad
Mr-LV19E (interested but will need to sell some gits)
L-fan (if inspired enough will sell current git to buy in)

$ - indicated solid commitment with funds ready

Other Posts - assuming they are in favor of LS
KenHolden (LS) --- all made comments assuming they are in favor of LS
iDavid - hogtop
Blue in VT
GeeNorm - Norman