Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 04, 2008, 04:32:05 PM
Holly
I'll re-post the link from above where es-335 showed the Larrivee 40th anniv. with the mosaic rosette in question:     http://www.12fret.com/new/Larrivee_JCL_reissue_pg.html

I'm pretty sure that there are no smashed up sea critters in it.   I believe it's made of baby harp seal and spotted owl bones.    :whistling:

Glad you can take a joke, Holly.   :bgrin:   Really, I think the mosaic is not made from anything that has been alive for at least 10,000 years.   From the mineral realm rather than the animal one in other words.

Tuffythepug

The logo and rosewood cap are perfect. That is exactly how I would want the headstock to look. Thanks for re-linking that.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Oh, I don't care that it's remnants of a dead thing, I just think it's mundane. That's the nicest thing I can say about it,lol. No offense to shiny shell lovers everywhere. It's just not my thing.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 04, 2008, 04:50:54 PM
Oh, I don't care that it's remnants of a dead thing, I just think it's mundane. That's the nicest thing I can say about it,lol. No offense to shiny shell lovers everywhere. It's just not my thing.

holly
I have no direct interest as I won't be getting one of these, but I felt compelled to throw in that the old mosiac rosetta
is not a real blingy or flashy type of thing. Very classy looking in a subtle way. It's little teeny squares of wood, not shell. I remember when I got mine being pretty young and ignorant, I didn't realize at first that it was 1000's of little wood sqares. Just wanted to throw that in. If I was in, I'd see if they were available. 2 cents.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Something like that would be great. I'm all about a wood rosette.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Time to update the LIST.

I need to add Tuffy in the $ list.

I need to correct my typing or misreading Holly's userid - "strawintogold" vs. strawingold.   Thanks for the one who PMed me regarding this - you know who you are.
Holly, for $100 Deposit you're in? Otherwise, no?

Anyone else I need to add to the list?

I hear Jim is upbeat about the Forum Git -  that's always good. No news from JCL yet.

Warmly - though it's freezing up here!

G'nite. ricky

Quote from: Dotneck on December 04, 2008, 09:17:40 AM
If you have to put a name on it...how about the "rpm60912 signature model"

Now you're talkin'  :humour: ricky

Some decorative motifs could be copied from other guitars in the current Larrivee line-up.
For example the herringbone rosette used on the 50 and 60 traditional series (along with the concept of a slightly larger soundhole) could be adopted for this "custom" 03 model forum guitar. These rosettes look like classic traditional soundhole ornamentation.   I could live with just about anything really as long as it was tasteful.

Tuffythepug

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 04, 2008, 06:48:13 PM
Some decorative motifs could be copied from other guitars in the current Larrivee line-up.
For example the herringbone rosette used on the 50 and 60 traditional series (along with the concept of a slightly larger soundhole) could be adopted for this "custom" 03 model forum guitar. These rosettes look like classic traditional soundhole ornamentation.   I could live with just about anything really as long as it was tasteful.

Tuffythepug

I'm not really a herringbone fan, but anything Tuffy says... Hmmmmmmmmmmm... I like.

ricky

Quote from: strawintogold on December 04, 2008, 04:50:54 PM

holly
You got me babe.... or I got you babe... or I hope my wife doesn't see this.
                                               Anyway , I agree :thumbsup

Danny and Holly....geez get a room ! :roll
Ricky
Flattery will get you everywhere my friend... :laughin:
But seriously
I realize that it's not everybody's cup-o-tea but I'm just throwin' it our for discussion.   I meant way I said about being ok with just about anything as long as it was tasteful.  I realize that one person's tasteful is another person's pretentious gaudiness but I think most of us would agree that it certainly shouldn't be anything like the bling on a 10 series for example.  I'd prefer non-glittery I guess.  Spalted Maple or even a Koa rosette would be fine.    Hey..........   A KOA wood rosette on Italian spruce............hmmmmm

Tuffythepug

to me

mosaic > herringbone = abalone  

but.. that is the least part that I care about..
Jeffrey

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 04, 2008, 07:22:02 PM
Danny and Holly....geez get a room ! :roll
Ricky
Flattery will get you everywhere my friend... :laughin:
But seriously
I realize that it's not everybody's cup-o-tea but I'm just throwin' it our for discussion.   I meant way I said about being ok with just about anything as long as it was tasteful.  I realize that one person's tasteful is another person's pretentious gaudiness but I think most of us would agree that it certainly shouldn't be anything like the bling on a 10 series for example.  I'd prefer non-glittery I guess.  Spalted Maple or even a Koa rosette would be fine.    Hey..........   A KOA wood rosette on Italian spruce............hmmmmm

Tuffythepug
Heh, let's not make it worse here :winkin:
                       I like the H-bone idea.. it is a kind of off a base thing for Larrivee that may set it apart. BUT I am just hoping it get's built :thumbsup

When will we hear from JCL?? any idea??
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 04, 2008, 07:30:32 PM
When will we hear from JCL?? any idea??
ARE WE THERE YET   Sorry couldn't help it...7 kids and 10 g-kiddos ya know :blush:
Quote from: flatlander on December 04, 2008, 05:52:09 PM
I have no direct interest as I won't be getting one of these, but I felt compelled to throw in that the old mosiac rosetta
is not a real blingy or flashy type of thing. Very classy looking in a subtle way. It's little teeny squares of wood, not shell. I remember when I got mine being pretty young and ignorant, I didn't realize at first that it was 1000's of little wood sqares. Just wanted to throw that in. If I was in, I'd see if they were available. 2 cents.
So if we got you one for 2 cents, would that work?

On the topic of Italian Spruce, here is a portion of a short interview with JCL posted by David Wren on the 12th Fret website - many of you have already read this (http://www.12fret.com/new/Larrivee_2008_Twelfth_Fret_Limited_Edition_OM-03R_pg.html):

================

Jean talked to me from his home last night and after thanking him profusely for making these special guitars for us, we talked shop for a while.  He has graciously agreed to allow me to print a short excerpt from our conversation. 

So Jean,  are you still flying all over the place hunting down tonewoods for your instruments?

Even now I just got back from Europe.  I just hand selected 2000 tops, unbelievable quality spruce tops.

Is that the Italian spruce that I've been hearing rumors about?

Yes.  I've already got around 1000 tops that have been seasoned in the shop right now.  I'm really impressed with this wood.  It has all of the properties I need to get the response I'm looking for.

I remember that we used a lot of European spruce back in the '70s.

This is much better wood than that though.  I switched to Sitka in the '70s because I was able to get much much better quality and it made better guitars.  Now if I am patient and go through enough  wood,  I am once again able to get some European spruce that is the quality I need.  In order for me to pick 1000 guitar tops though,  I have to go through six or seven thousand and reject the rest.

Are you still active on in the shop when you're not traveling around the world searching for wood?

Of course! I still carve necks.  I do all the Bluegrass necks on the 50 & 60 series guitars and all the joining of tops.  I glue them up in California and then drive them up to Vancouver where we have our big planning machine.    I do all of the grading of woods as well.  I go through every top,  back, side and neck and grade it as a 03,  05,  09,  or 10.

======================

JCL's last comment there really got my attention when I first read it.  It made me wonder whether all Larrivee guitars have to go through Vancouver at some point in their manufacturing process, meaning multiple trips back and forth for the gloss guitars?  If anybody can clear up my confusion, that would be nice.   :blush:
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: L-fan on December 04, 2008, 08:09:20 PM
On the topic of Italian Spruce, here is a portion of a short interview with JCL posted by David Wren on the 12th Fret website - many of you have already read this (http://www.12fret.com/new/Larrivee_2008_Twelfth_Fret_Limited_Edition_OM-03R_pg.html):

a bit of off topic..

The 12th fret ltd edition guitars look good..

spec:
*  numbered series of only 12 made
bone nut & saddle
herringbone top marquetry
precision Gotoh 1:15 ratio vintage-style tuners
*  squared peghead profile
*  Madagascar rosewood peghead overlay
ebony pyramid bridge
*  tortoiseshell pickguards supplied
*  1 3/4" wide bone nut
bound ebony fingerboard
*  one piece tropical mahogany neck
*  hand fit dovetail neck-to-body joint
*  adjustable truss rod
*  medium elliptical neck profile
*  65 cm (approx 25.5") scale length
*  bookmatched Sitka spruce top
*  proprietary Larrivee symetrical X-brace system
*  herringbone top perimeter and rosette
*  2 5/16" string spacing at bridge
*  maple body binding
*  rosewood back & sides
*  15 3/8" wide lower bout dimension
*  4 1/4" deep sides at end block
*  matte finish
*  hardshell case

I highlighted the specs I like...

wouldn't that be nice to have the similar stuff on our guitar??

O.... I have a question..

Since LS is not in production anymore, there is a really good chance that we might not be able to get the hard shell case..

If larrivee does not have new old stock hard case for the LS body.

what would we do??

Jeffrey

He said this to me also, He does all the tops. I don't know if they all go to Canada and then some come back, but I know a lot of road travel goes on between Yarnell and Vancouver.

A LS would fit in a 00 case, if made to the old specs, I think.

Quote from: dependan on December 04, 2008, 07:35:30 PM
       So if we got you one for 2 cents, would that work?
uh.....................ok.   I'd even promise to be a good boy for a substantial length of time. :bgrin:

Well in 16 more posts you are going GOLD, Maybe we could all chip in and get you one. :whistling:

Quote from: dependan on December 04, 2008, 08:41:08 PM
  Well in 16 more posts you are going GOLD, Maybe we could all chip in and get you one. :whistling:
You're making me derail another thread. But you might have trouble with the "we" part. I'm very content with my 3 now anyway. It would be cool to have one fall out of the sky though, then go on a hunt for some really talented kid with no money and say "here ya go buddy"  :thumb