Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Cybenator on December 03, 2008, 09:01:28 PM
I'd like to add my name to the "LS" list, but would like full spec details before total commitment,  yeah right... :humour:

Any chances of an exotic tonewood

Maple, walnut or even blackwood.  :thumb
Larrivée D-09 Blackwood
Larrivée L-05 Red Spruce Top
Larrivée OM-03 Koa
Larrivée OM-03 Walnut                                     
                                                    It may be exotic for you if it was RW :humour:
DeArmond M-68 Moon Blue
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster '52RI Copper
Fender Bullet S-2 Sunburst
3 Ukuleles

Quote from: tadol on December 03, 2008, 08:25:41 PM
could everyone who has one of the original Forum guitars take a picture of it ( maybe with a holiday scene ) and submit it?

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: es-335 on November 30, 2008, 11:31:13 PM
We are coming to one spec:

LS body
Top:Spruce or Hog
Back: RW or Hog
12fret short scale

How about a slothead?  I really like the slotheads and that would add another unique facet to the git.

:thumb
1964 Sears Silvertone (broken but can't part with it)
1966 Hagstrom I
1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Sunburst
1978 Guild D25CH
2005 Alvarez MSD1
2005 Martin 000-16SGT
2007 Takamine G320
2008 Larrivee L-03 SO
2008 Silver Creek T-170

Quote from: mole2 on December 04, 2008, 02:39:42 AM
How about a slothead?  I really like the slotheads and that would add another unique facet to the git.

:thumb

FWIW, I think that this should be one of the 'options' which I still think have to be as few as possible.  I think cost is an important factor for many of the folk who are interested.  The slothead thing seems to be split pretty 50/50 so it seems an obvious candidate for an option.  Randy suggested that there were two options last time, we might need to limit it to two or three this time too to save it becoming to cumbersome a task for JCL.

Another thing that sprung to my mind was the 03's are made in Canada, and therefore surely we are limited to what they can build there without major changes? Is the Italian Spruce stock not in California?  Also, a gloss option seems an unreasonable ask.

Any of the guys on here who know better want to hazard a guess as to how likely this project is to succeed now?  We must be into double figures with numbers now.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: limnephilidae on December 03, 2008, 07:10:25 PM
Interesting idea. Since Jim Holler stepped up. I suggest we come up with a name that involves his shop:

"Trinity Custom"

"Trinity Edition"

"Holler Special"

What does everyone think?

Remember that Jim is a Luthier himself - is it unreasonable to suggest he has his name on someone elses?  Just a thought.  The Trinity suggestion would maybe be fine, however.

I like the 2008 or 2009 FORUM GUITAR - NUMBER 1 of 16 approach like before - simple but meaningful to whoever owns them, and that is the important factor for me.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

That's a good point. BTW, anyone who hasn't checked out Jim's guitars should go have a look see. Wonderful, straight forward, lots of emphasis on the wood. The rosettes are just what I want on mine, someday.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: BenF on December 04, 2008, 05:03:13 AM
Remember that Jim is a Luthier himself - is it unreasonable to suggest he has his name on someone elses?  Just a thought.  The Trinity suggestion would maybe be fine, however.

I like the 2008 or 2009 FORUM GUITAR - NUMBER 1 of 16 approach like before - simple but meaningful to whoever owns them, and that is the important factor for me.

Yeah, that's a good point. There is no reason to make this complex and simple names are always better in the end. I suppose it would be 2009 FORUM GUITAR.

Cheers,

Adam
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

I too, have been hesitating to post in this thread for a couple of reasons.
I saw the last attempt at a forum guitar go down quietly in flames. Also, I'm not sure that I need another guitar. In fact, I'm sure I don't, so I would have to sell off a couple to add my name to this list. But that could happen.
While I really appreciate a slothead, I know that it adds a lot of labor (read: money) to the guitar.
Still, for me, if it's going to be a forum guitar, if it's gong to be unique, well, there should be something special about it.
Maybe something that doesn't break the bank for everybody. Something that doesn't alter the manufacturing facility (and in this case, country) in which it is built.
Maybe something as simple and as beautiful as the rosette.
Have you all seen what spalted maple looks like in a guitar rosette?
I know,it's kind of silly, but if I buy one of these forum guitars, (assuming for a moment that there in fact just might be a forum guitar) there would have to be something about this guitar that I couldn't find in any other Larrivee guitar.
Just a thought. I'll back away now, at least until we hear back from Jim and his conversation with Jean.
here; have a donut. 

What about the old stlye Larrivee Mosaic Rosette.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Quote from: Queequeg on December 04, 2008, 08:42:00 AM
I know,it's kind of silly, but if I buy one of these forum guitars, (assuming for a moment that there in fact just might be a forum guitar) there would have to be something about this guitar that I couldn't find in any other Larrivee guitar.

12 fret / discontinued LS body... isn't that a little bit special?? :winkin:

Quote from: bhika on December 04, 2008, 08:44:35 AM

I WOULD LOVE THE MOSAIC ROSETTE!!!!!!!!

12fret website has a good pic of the mosaic rosette
http://www.12fret.com/new/Larrivee_JCL_reissue_pg.html
Jeffrey

Nice idea!  An exotic wood rosette in my view can look very classy, and something like spalted maple would sure be unique, without breaking the bank.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: limnephilidae on December 04, 2008, 08:19:05 AM
Yeah, that's a good point. There is no reason to make this complex and simple names are always better in the end. I suppose it would be 2009 FORUM GUITAR.

Simple. Forum Guitar #x of xx.  No offense meant to Jim...but I don't think his name or company name should be on the guitar. It was conceived here and he's just placing the order. He'll get his cut and get a ton of publicity in the forum for handling the transaction.

If you have to put a name on it...how about the "rpm60912 signature model"

:laughin:
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I like those too....on a McElroy.  I think the appointments should at least say "Larrivee"

At the "03" level I don't think you can expect a lot of special touches. Maybe if you went up a grade or two in models but the 03s are spartan utilitarian guitars. After thinking about it for a few days.....I bet JCL offers Sapele and I wouldn't be surprised if he nixes the LS body style.  

FWIW....I prefer a simple abalone rosette over wood or herringbone.
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Dotneck on December 04, 2008, 09:22:58 AM

At the "03" level I don't think you can expect a lot of special touches. Maybe if you went up a grade or two in models but the 03s are spartan utilitarian guitars. After thinking about it for a few days.....I bet JCL offers Sapele and I wouldn't be surprised if he nixes the LS body style.  

FWIW....I prefer a simple abalone rosette over wood or herringbone.

I hope JCL offers real mahogany!!

one vote for NO :nanadance woody rosette!
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 04, 2008, 09:04:38 AM
12 fret / discontinued LS body... isn't that a little bit special?? :winkin:

I WOULD LOVE THE MOSAIC ROSETTE!!!!!!!!

I don't know; somehow "discontinued" doesn't have that special ring to it.
prolly just me...
McElroy doesn't have a patent on spalted maple rosette. I saw it on a Kragenbrink and also on a McKnight (both pretty nice guitars).
To err is dysfunctional; to forgive co-dependent

Quote from: bhika on December 04, 2008, 08:44:35 AM

I would also love the mosaic rosette. I'm not sure if everyone feels the same way however.

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Does the mosaic involve smashed up sea critter? Anyone got a pic?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 04, 2008, 12:16:07 PM
Does the mosaic involve smashed up sea critter? Anyone got a pic?

holly

Check out the rosette on the C-09:

http://www.larrivee.com/2_Main/main.html

That's what we're talking about.

Smashed up sea critter...I like that. Yeah, keep the mythical watery tarts off my guitar please. :)

Holly
I'll re-post the link from above where es-335 showed the Larrivee 40th anniv. with the mosaic rosette in question:     http://www.12fret.com/new/Larrivee_JCL_reissue_pg.html

I'm pretty sure that there are no smashed up sea critters in it.   I believe it's made of baby harp seal and spotted owl bones.    :whistling:

Glad you can take a joke, Holly.   :bgrin:   Really, I think the mosaic is not made from anything that has been alive for at least 10,000 years.   From the mineral realm rather than the animal one in other words.

Tuffythepug

That is the headstock inlay I referred to earlier too tuffy. I am glad I didn't imagine it's existence!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5