Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'd let JCL pick the scale length based on the other components. He'll know what will work best. Gotta be careful or you'll have a camel built by committee.....

Last time JCL threw in the abalone rosette and the MOP inlaid headstock logo as a bonus...so be patient and see how he responds. In fact, he didn't even tell the group he was adding the rosette it was a surprise addition. I like the abalone rosette much more than herringbone.

Which vendor is on-board? May as well give him some exposure for his effort....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

The OO is a standard scale 12 Fret, the Parlor is a short scale. Both have 1.75inch nuts.

I don't know if the bracing internally or bridge placement would be different if a parlor neck was used vs a standard neck. If they were the same, perhaps neck style could be the buyers option. If different, then I doubt Larrivee would want to offer both in the same run. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Btw, I have a 1975 vintage LS with a 12 fret neck, standard scale. So they have been made before, but not many of them.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

If going with the short scale is a bit pushing it.. I am okay with the standard scale too...

Is the exact scale length of larrivee parlors 24"?

If we were to go with the short scale I guess it wouldnt be possible to go with 24-3/4"...

Ever since I started playing my J45 and my fella's Blues King.. I was sold on the 24-3/4" scale..

But I do agree that we should let JCL decide what's best for the guitar...
Jeffrey

Has a hog top been considered yet?
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Dotneck on December 01, 2008, 09:38:49 PM
I'd let JCL pick the scale length based on the other components. He'll know what will work best. Gotta be careful or you'll have a camel built by committee.....

totally agree. I like the 12 fretter more than the short scale in this case. The volume will be higher and I don't intend to put mediums on it. Anyway, let's see what the experts say.

Cheers,

Adam
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: Dotneck on December 01, 2008, 10:21:43 PM
Has a hog top been considered yet?

It has come up before, but we haven't discussed in details.. because we don't even know what our options are..
Jeffrey

Thanks Dotneck and Randy and Lawdog...   I think we will end up with a nice little git. I was expecting JCL to have a big say in what small body size they could do for us.
    I thought the 00-50 was a short scale 12 fret and my 00-09 was long scale 12 fret. Thanks for clarifying.

If it's OK with you Randy I will put a link to the 1975 LS 12 fret you have. That is a Larrivee collectors item.
 A new LS would look a lot different but it is cool to see this one.
                     Here is the link  http://randyrick.us/guitars/Larrivee1975LS09.htm
 I like the full "Jean Claude Larrivee"  signature on the label and the headstock look just says "Hand made". I could go for a rosewood peghead with no logo. But I know others may want MOP.
                    Abalone rossette always appeals to me, but I don't mind H-bone or whatever the dealer and Larrivee want to do. I am still amazed we are at this point.
                     Hog top was brought up by a few and I would be interested. But then I thought about that Italian spruce Jean scored recently and thought. YES rosewood and Itali, or Hog and Itali. I asked him if it was more like Adi than sitka and his answer was yes. But whatever guitars he makes with the Italian will be rare.
                                   Fun stuff.               Danny

Quote from: dependan on December 01, 2008, 10:30:43 PM
         If it's OK with you Randy I will put a link to the 1975 LS 12 fret you have. That is a Larrivee collectors item.
 A new LS would look a lot different but it is cool to see this one.
                     Here is the link  http://randyrick.us/guitars/Larrivee1975LS09.htm
                     Hog top was brought up by a few and I would be interested. But then I thought about that Italian spruce Jean scored recently and thought. YES rosewood and Itali, or Hog and Itali. I asked him if it was more like Adi than sitka and his answer was yes. But whatever guitars he makes with the Italian will be rare.
                                   Fun stuff.               Danny

Man, I didn't know that Italian Spruce was up to that quality.... now I am not sure whether to go with MT or Italian spruce...

and Randy's LS looks amazing.. I really really like the bold inlay! and i really couldn't care less for the rosette!!

Jeffrey

Of all the extras considered (including the slothead), I think the Italian spruce tops sounds the most tempting. JCL seemed to be really happy with his find.  :drool:

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

But is JCL really gonna release the Italian spruce to us......??
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 01, 2008, 10:45:29 PM
But is JCL really gonna release the Italian spruce to us......??

Maybe if he really digs the idea of revisiting one of his traditional designs. He might want to make it special (with extra $$$). Of course, I might smoking something too.

- Adam

Quote from: limnephilidae on December 01, 2008, 10:44:30 PM
Of all the extras considered (including the slothead), I think the Italian spruce tops sounds the most tempting. JCL seemed to be really happy with his find.  :drool:
Yea, it has grown in appeal to me also, and 12 fret short scale seems to be not as appealing after the info that has been shared.
                          RICKY..... be sure and tell the dealer to ask if JCL will let us have some Italian tops.

Here is a link to my thread on visiting Yarnell place, it takes you right to the pics of Jean holding one top and a 2cnd pic of a stack of 1972 Italian Spruce. I hope I got that year right.
                                                http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=22941.msg202163#msg202163

[attachment deleted by admin]

I am still considering the Hog top..

If JCL would use real mahogany not sapele...
Jeffrey

I've seen pictures of some LS models I would love to have an example of, the LS classical.  But, I'm guessing we're talking about an LS steel string here.  I already have an OM-10 and a P-09 and do not need another small steel string.  But, my Kamouraska classical could use an upgrade.  If either an LS classical or an L model becomes an option, I would love to get one.

Tim

2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)

No interest in a classical till now

Here is JCL and the 1972 Itali Spruce

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: Dotneck on December 01, 2008, 09:38:49 PM

Let's let JCL override the specs... I don't understand all this 12-fret-to-body and short scale and bridge placements - all mean sound & tone wise.

I'm sure these specs would make significant impact.

MY ASSUMPTION UNTIL NOW...
The LS-03...   It will cater to fingerstyle; but for light to moderate strumming... which is what I mostly do... will it hold up with a decent "thump" ???

My personal usage assumption is all I really care about... sound, tone, volume, projection.

Someone please comment - in case I'm in another planet.

ricky

Thanks for the pics Danny.

I'll inquire about and mention the Italian tops.

ricky

Ricky your 00-09 is suppose to arrive today isn't it? That's a 12 fret long scale, you will have something to compare to very soon.

I haven't replied yet because of my own uncertainty about being a solid buyer.  If we're getting close to 2 grand, well, I probably just can't do it.  But if you still want to know preferences, then here's what I'd like to see:

gloss
short scale
12 fret
maple binding
rw b/s (though hog would not drive me away)

On gloss vs. satin:  how much does gloss drive up a price?  As an -03 owner, I just would like to have gloss.  Just an appearance thing.

I pretty much agree with Ryler:

00 (or LS)
gloss (or satin)
short scale -- a key consideration for me because of the lower tension
12 fret
maple binding
rw b/s

Thx,
Al