Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ARK on December 01, 2008, 02:03:18 PM
I think you are referring to my earlier "spec" post which I found on a store website -- I'm just not sure how accurate it is. I'm certainly in favor of the smaller "00-like" LS size you are talking about, but should this all work out, I expect we would have to live with whatever LS or OO size Larrivee is tooled up for. It could also turn out that Larrivee would only being willing to do this for a particular size that is convenient for them at this point in time.

Al
If we can't get the small bodied LS then the 00 would be the best size. The larger specs given can be exceeded and wind up being an OM very easily.
              This is where we need a dealer to find out if the small body can be built and what molds they would use, shortscale, etc.  
               I see no reason for this to not go through. Too many forumites would like to have a 12 fret small body Larri.
  And has been stated a Mahogany with Italian spruce or RW with the same would be one very special Guitar. In an 03 series it will hold cost down and the rest can be decided on a bit later and possible extras may be offered. Upgrades like an arch top case or slothead may be also arranged. For sure the tuners would need to be nice ones.
  The rosette is no biggie to me or the other features that may drive the cost too high.
                   It would be nice if each of us could have all the custom items we wanted, but we all need to give a little to keep this a practical reality.  
         I agree that the LS is a Larrivee distinct build and I'm glad Adam brings this out. I have a 00 and like it a lot, but the L is my favorite and of course the small LSV but no V here and that's OK but LS would truly be a traditional Larrivee Guitar. I think it will be a great little player.

Why do I live in the UK.  I would so be up for this if I could get a guitar from US to the K without about £375 shipping and customs.  Sigh!!  Anyone going on holiday to Scotland anythime next summer???????

FWIW - good on you Ricky for working so hard on this, a lot ofpeople seem pretty fired up about it.

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: limnephilidae on December 01, 2008, 02:18:23 PM
I am pushing for an LS because of 2 reasons:

1. It is distinctly Larrivee and with this imperative I hope we inspire the Larrivee Family to something special for us that speaks to their unique contribution to guitar building

Point taken... :wink:...for a short scale OO with spruce and hog I would pobably just buy a 00-18v and be done with it...I can proably get on board with and LS...I've just never held one so I'm a little bit leary....I fear the unknown!!!!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: BenF on December 01, 2008, 02:34:48 PM
Why do I live in the UK.  I would so be up for this if I could get a guitar from US to the K without about £375 shipping and customs.  Sigh!!  Anyone going on holiday to Scotland anythime next summer???????

FWIW - good on you Ricky for working so hard on this, a lot ofpeople seem pretty fired up about it.

Ben
Ben my Brother and I have began talking of a trip to Scotland. I don't know when we will pull it off though. If by some way I can help I will.

My attempt for a WIN-WIN for all brought my question about 2 models?

Point taken. Can't please everyone.

1 Model.

LS... it is.

ricky

I have a question: If we are concerned about costs due to changes in the molds and existing models, what about the scale length?? While the neck is probably not a big deal to do 12 frets on, wouldn't this place the bridge somewhere different on the LS body? Doesn't that involve changes to the bracing pattern? Would this significantly raise the price? Please excuse my ignorance in this.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam raised a question that I've been wondering about.   Maybe a dealer or other Forumites can answer this question.   Will 12-fret design & short scale radically change the character and sound of this LS? Is this a re-tooling issue ---- we want Larrivee to use existing molds right?

ricky

Quote from: dependan on December 01, 2008, 02:42:37 PM
  Ben my Brother and I have began talking of a trip to Scotland. I don't know when we will pull it off though. If by some way I can help I will.

Cheers Dan, but I think it is partly wishful thinking on my part.  I'd need to sell my OM-03 to sign up, and that sounds OK, until it came to it, and then I know I would find it hard to part with.  That is the guitar that made me realise that I could play more than strumming three chords!!!

Hope you get to come to Scotland though, I am biased, but is a good place!

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

On selecting a dealer...

Dealers are in the business because they are passionate about guitars. They also have to make a profit. As buyers in-a-group, we want the best deal, correct?

Forumites attest to the good character and customer service of Trinity, Notable, GuitarAdoptions & 12th Fret.

QUESTION:

1. Do we go with the first one who shows genuine interest?
2. Should this go into a bidding process? 

(No offense to dealers who may be doing us a favor and stand to profit very minimally. A computer consultant in my past life - this is how we won PROJECTS... by bidding... best proposal, incentives AND service wins.)

I'm taking a deep breath... it's only been a few days indeed !!!   Thankful how quickly this is shaping up.   

1 Model.  1 Dealer interested.  5 Committed Forumites.

:smile: ricky

Quote from: BenF on December 01, 2008, 02:34:48 PM

Ben

Ben, thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I wonder why I live in Canada. I wish we all had the same currency here and no more borders.  :smile: ricky

All guitars should be duty-free globally.  :+1:

Ricky check your PM's.  On the LS shortscale that is up to JCL. I'm sure he can do it if he wants to. The LSV-11 is a short scale but not a 12 fret. We just need to find out.

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 01, 2008, 03:00:43 PM
On selecting a dealer...

Dealers are in the business because they are passionate about guitars. They also have to make a profit. As buyers in-a-group, we want the best deal, correct?

Forumites attest to the good character and customer service of Trinity, Notable, GuitarAdoptions & 12th Fret.

QUESTION:

1. Do we go with the first one who shows genuine interest?
2. Should this go into a bidding process? 

(No offense to dealers who may be doing us a favor and stand to profit very minimally. A computer consultant in my past life - this is how we won PROJECTS... by bidding... best proposal, incentives AND service wins.)

I'm taking a deep breath... it's only been a few days indeed !!!   Thankful how quickly this is shaping up.   

:smile: ricky
NO BIDDING....go with a forum member /dealer like JIM at Trinity :thumbsup

Why is everyone so in love with the 00???? I'm sure the answer to your question is the same as the answer to mine. Truth be told, I'd be happy with either but I am pushing for an LS because of 2 reasons:

1. It is distinctly Larrivee and with this imperative I hope we inspire the Larrivee Family to something special for us that speaks to their unique contribution to guitar building

That is why I also think we should stick to the LS body shape..

Because you could get 00 bodies from other companies... but the L and LS represents Larrivee! and if I had to get only one larrivee it'd be a L model.. (perhaps LS).. because it is uniquely Larrivee's..!!

Jeffrey

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 01, 2008, 03:00:43 PM

If a dealer already showed you his/her interest, why not go with him/her??

It almost seems like he/she has shown such great passion for this project!
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on December 01, 2008, 03:26:56 PM
If a dealer already showed you his/her interest, why not go with him/her??

It almost seems like he/she has shown such great passion for this project!

Jeff... noted.  We're going with a dealer. Just waitiing for response.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 01, 2008, 03:36:10 PM
Jeff... noted.  We're going with a dealer. Just waitiing for response.

ricky
Ricky this is amazing, I can't help but be excited, thanks for your efforts.      Danny

Just my two cents worth but,
Many of us have had great experience with one or more of our forum member dealers.
I don't know whether it would be possible, but maybe a coop of the dealers might work.
I have dealt with Jason and Dave and been happy. Don't have first hand experience with Jim, but everybody seems to say good things.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

My first impression of this was "here we go again" but I'm glad to see that it's moving forward. Sadly, I'm not able to jump on board (saving up for a Martin HD-35) but I admit that the idea of a 12-fret LS does seem pretty enticing. I can't believe that more people aren't going along with it though. Good luck, yinz!  :thumb
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

I understand what a 12 fret neck join is (not my fav but I'll live) but will someone please explain to me what a short scale is?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 01, 2008, 04:29:47 PM
I understand what a 12 fret neck join is (not my fav but I'll live) but will someone please explain to me what a short scale is?

holly
I'll try to explain.. If I don't do a good job at it.. Im sure some one else will..!

and please correct me if I am wrong.

Guitar scale length is the measurement between the nut and the bridge's saddle.

Normal scale guitar is fitted with a 25 1/2" , and the other(short scale) with a 24 3/4" scale neck.

I believe most larrivee guitars, Martin OM/D guitars and most acoustic guitars use normal scale, but a lot of parlor guitars and Gibson J45/L00 Martin OOO and some other guitars are fitted with a short scale neck.

and the shorter scale guitar will have less tension.. much easier for bending and vibrato or you could use a bit of heavier gauge strings, with the short scale neck..

IMO, short scale guitars are much better for fingerstyle.

Jeffrey

Quote from: strawintogold on December 01, 2008, 04:29:47 PM

holly
The P series are 24'' short scale, 12 fret at the body 19 total. Shorter neck but still space between the 1st 12 frets. My 00-09FM is a 12 fret, but normal scale. That is achieved by moving the Bridge back towards the end pin.