Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Continuation of discussion of a new Forum Guitar.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=23989.0
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Thanks Randy.
                   Ricky has done a lot of leg work and we may have a chance to order a new Forum Guitar soon.
        I'll let Ricky do the consensus update if he would like or if you have not seen the first thread that got this going just review it.
             Basically this is an attempt to get a small bodied Larrivee that we can all be happy with, and afford.
    But there seems to be enough interest and common ground to continue. A LS and 00 are the two most considered, Rosewood and Mahogany come up the most for back and sides, low bling, cutaway may not fly,etc. So there you have it. We'll see where we go from here. 
           Some may remember this , but JCL showed me a stack of Italian spruce at Yarnell Place. That may be something a little special we might consider, if it's not all spoken for.            Danny

So far, People have been wanting LS or OO.

Seems like most of us want: 12fret joint, short scale.

Just to throw it out there... is anybody up  for having no bindings like the older satin parlors??(is it possible?)

Jeff
Jeffrey

i got really excited about the last forum guitar discussion. (last winter?)     eitherway,  that discussion kind of just ended, without anything happening.   I hate to say that, as it will come across as negative until you read this sentence.  I hope for everyone that this guitar will come to life for us.   I'm getting excited again about this new forum guitar.

perhaps the dealer that puts the order in for the forum could also get a larger production done so they could sell in their stores to those that aren't part of the forum.  One local store to me mentioned getting a store guitar made for them, but it would be a smaller order, and the guy at the shop said that they've had a hard time getting the customers on board, and picking out their specs for the guitar.

ideally for me this guitar would be:

LS body
short scale
woods:   i like the Italian spruce that was mentioned. 
             something different, not rare and expensive. walnut? quilted mahogany? 
full gloss body, and neck.

no bling needed,  i wouldn't fight for abalone, inlays, logos and types of tuners.  i'll trust the good judgement of the forum

overall. simple and pretty..... small guitar with a big sound.

heres to the good luck, and production of this forum guitar   :cheers    :coffee for the morning people
Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Sunday evening. Thanks Randy. Thanks Danny. For starting this Forum Guitar discussion with the link to the orig thread.

Wow!!! I'm overwhelmed that this is actually gaining some momentum. Timing given Christmas and NAMM 09 - likely Spring production depending upon Dealer & Factory united response.

I'll go back and review today's (Sun Nov 30) posts and count just how many OO interest there is.

I did notice a strong concensus on LS (4" deep - like the old orig specs; thanks for the pictures & comparisons and old spec info - didn't take note who posted them).

Here's the summary as I recall ==>  LS

03 appointments - No cutaway (for those who must have a cutaway - I suppose that could be an option for an extra charge)
(distinctive feature from regular 03: short scale, 12-fret to body, optional MOP logo on headstock, numbered & signed label, if free - ???optional 12-fret decor???)

Top - spruce or hog
B&S - rw or hog

Now, I go back to orig thread, read, count and provide Statistical Summary on my next post.

Thanks for everyone's interest, thoughts, suggestions and contribution to bring us all this far.

ricky

Here's a short one... please react or vote.

I happen to be a Gloss finish fan. I think guitars costing 1000+ should all come glossy - standard !!! 

(If satin finish really improves the sound quality of the git, I wonder how many will still prefer the satin finish over a gloss finish - if prices were the SAME?) 
Please remember, I've been influenced by long-time Larri owners in this Forum - to favor satin and no bling, so if I'm muddying the discussion - someone tell me to shut up.

So far... satin is the prevailing pleasure of interested buyers.

Gloss finish anyone?

ricky  :whistling: :doh 

BINDING someone suggest rw-binding

NO to rosewood binding. (hog fans may not mind this, but may complicate order / discussion)

YES to maple binding. (good on RW b&s)

ricky

Quote from: es-335 on November 30, 2008, 08:57:27 PM
Just to throw it out there... is anybody up  for having no bindings like the older satin parlors??(is it possible?)

Naw...ya gotta have wood binding on a custom guitar.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I'd prefer a gloss finish over satin.
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I do not really care whether it is satin or glossy, whatever is cheaper is better for me(because imo, I believe that satin and glossy play the same quality...)
Jeffrey

Quote from: rpm60912 on November 30, 2008, 10:10:44 PM
Here's a short one... please react or vote.

I happen to be a Gloss finish fan. I think guitars costing 1000+ should all come glossy - standard !!! 

(If satin finish really improves the sound quality of the git, I wonder how many will still prefer the satin finish over a gloss finish - if prices were the SAME?) 
Please remember, I've been influenced by long-time Larri owners in this Forum - to favor satin and no bling, so if I'm muddying the discussion - someone tell me to shut up.

So far... satin is the prevailing pleasure of interested buyers.

Gloss finish anyone?

ricky  :whistling: :doh 
Ricky I think this is the time to speak up. You did a good job of getting this going, so why not continue.
  Price is going to be a biggie so satin may be best but someone needs to tally the votes and put it all in a generalized format like you have been doing. Then if there is a dealer to be our middleman we are on the way.
  I will go with the flow and do my part to be a solid buyer ready to go when we nail it all down. Maybe we should ask how many are "solid" right now with a small body etc. etc. Then move on. just thoughts to help I hope.

How can anybody be solid without knowing what model specs and pricepoint? To be realistic this is just another thread on an internet forum until you get a dealer and Larrivee on board. Last one took a year to put together.....don't get too excited too quickly.
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Count me in for being solid buyer.

To be honest, I believe we will end up with a smaller body... without cutaway....

So.. you can put my name on the "solid" list
Jeffrey

Quote from: rpm60912 on November 30, 2008, 10:21:02 PM
BINDING someone suggest rw-binding

NO to rosewood binding. (hog fans may not mind this, but may complicate order / discussion)

YES to maple binding. (good on RW b&s)

ricky
Maple looks great on Hog and maple is fine on RW. The LSV-11 used a RW binding that was very nice. BUT I don't care if it has any or not, even the neck. I want a "player".

Quote from: Dotneck on November 30, 2008, 10:39:48 PM
How can anybody be solid without knowing what model specs and pricepoint? To be realistic this is just another thread on an internet forum until you get a dealer and Larrivee on board. Last one took a year to put together.....don't get too excited too quickly.
Then you can sit by and watch us get a consensus and a nice git. If we say we're solid and we mean it then we will make it happen one way or another. If we say we failed before etc. we'll fail again. That's realistic in my way of doing things.
       Do you want this to fail? If you want it to succeed then don't be too quick to throw cold water on a group that had pulled together in a brisk manner with a lot more agreement on specs. than I expected would be possible.
       What doesn't excite me is add ons that will price it out of the range of some who would like one if it didn't get to blingy.  I want this and that, but I'll drop it and have already to AGREE with others, keep the price down and move on.
          You can either help, or let it be, but please don't tell us it can't be done. I know it can. Until the moment JCL or Matthew or someone at Larrivee says it can't.          deadpan danny

Heck, Long and Mcquade did their 50th anniv. guitar through Larrivee..

I believe there was 50 of them.. L05's pretty nice..

I hope Larrivee will take such a small quantity.
Jeffrey

LS with a spruce top and I'm in! I'll commit cash to that.

Summary must haves for myself:
- LS body
- Spruce top
- 1 3/4 nut
- $2000 or less please

Summary of preferences but not dealbreakers:
- Rosewood B&S or a suitably wide-ranged alternative (inexpensive) exotic wood
- No cutaway
- Satin Finish
- Wood Binding (any)
- 12 fret with short scale
- No excessive bling
- Customized logos and labels sound great (not picky as to what)
- Rosewood (or exotic wood) overlay on headstock

I hope this makes it easier to chart Ricky.

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Now that I let off steam a little.

Here's something to consider or laugh at if you want.
         The resistance to a new wave coming in to the shore is always the old wave that preceded it.
 We can flow in the same direction on this or end up in a stagnant pond. and blah blah blah.

I'm a business owner and have been for well over half my life and I know if you "want" to do it and "commit" to doing it you will succeed. Barring some calamity.

So I say let's do it.

Quote from: limnephilidae on November 30, 2008, 11:16:45 PM
LS with a spruce top and I'm in! I'll commit cash to that.

Summary must haves for myself:
- LS body
- Spruce top
- 1 3/4 nut
- $2000 or less please

Summary of preferences but not dealbreakers:
- Rosewood B&S or a suitably wide-ranged alternative (inexpensive) exotic wood
- No cutaway
- Satin Finish
- Wood Binding (any)
- 12 fret with short scale
- No excessive bling
- Customized logos and labels sound great (not picky as to what)
- Rosewood (or exotic wood) overlay on headstock

I hope this makes it easier to chart Ricky.

That's all fine by me. :thumbsup

If it's an LS body in -03 trim would be tempting...I'd commit at the right price.

We are coming to one spec:

LS body
Top:Spruce or Hog
Back: RW or Hog
12fret short scale

Jeffrey