Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bailing wire rosette, used kluson tuners from old gibbys and a Stella LOGO :wacko:

I just typed a comprehensive response, and timed out and lost it all.  AARRRRGGGGHHHH!

Start again!!

The details will be finalised after the price is given to us.

So far, we have discussed but not agreed, but I think the majority position is something like this: -

Rosette - not std 03 type, but not abalone (JCL put abalone rosettes on as a surprise the last time I understand) - wood has been discussed, and an example of spalted maple shown - very nice too.
Fretboard - clear of markers (which will be on the binding as usual) bar the 12th fret, which will have three dots, or the roman numerals III to signify the forum guitar III.
Similarly, unique label, perhaps FORUM GUITAR III - No # of 10.
Unusual headstock, ideally the old JCL logo - most folk like that a lot.
Maybe rosewood headstock too.
satin finish, so like an 03 in that respect, but this will look very good with the very light Itialian Spruce, in my opinion anyway.
Upgrade to Gotoh 510s or Schallers has been mentioned by a few.  The most recent 12th Fret special OM-03 had Gotoh's on it - so it is not unreasonable to ask.

I hope this is an accurate enough summary

Thrilled to have you on board!!

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Just waiting for Ricky to come on with some good news............. :whistling:
Jeffrey

Quote from: BenF on December 08, 2008, 04:34:09 PM
For a time we discussed a short scale too, and although some are still keen, we have been advised that it might be detrimental to the sound.  It was also a $200 upcharge.  I understand that most have agreed to standard scale length.  

I think it is inaccurate and misleading to say the short scale is detrimental to the sound -- there are to many very expensive ($5000 - $15,000) OO size, 12 fret, short scale guitars by well respected companies.  I agree the volume may be slightly less then with a standard scale, and I assume that was the basis for Jim Holler's comment that he recommended the standard scale, but I believe the short scale tone would still be great.

I would still like to know what JCL says the actual extra cost of the short scale is. If it is significant, e.g. like the $200 guesstimate, I fully understand the decision to stay with the longer scale.

Just my $.02

Thx,
Al

Quote from: ARK on December 08, 2008, 05:27:15 PM
I think it is inaccurate and misleading to say the short scale is detrimental to the sound -- there are to many very expensive ($5000 - $15,000) OO size, 12 fret, short scale guitars by well respected companies.  I agree the volume may be slightly less then with a standard scale, and I assume that was the basis for Jim Holler's comment that he recommended the standard scale, but I believe the tone would still be great.

I would still like to know what JCL says the actual extra cost of the short scale is. If it is significant, e.g. like the $200 guesstimate, I fully understand the decision to stay with the longer scale.

Just my $.02

Thx,
Al

OOOO, I knew I would say something wrong in that post - sorry.  the $200 came from JH following dicsussion with Larivee - it isn't a guestimate.

Sorry about the short scale comment, I am trying to relay information beyond my understanding, should've worded it better.

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on December 08, 2008, 05:32:08 PM

OOOO, I knew I would say something wrong in that post - sorry.  the $200 came from JH following discussion with Larivee - it isn't a guesstimate.

Sorry about the short scale comment, I am trying to relay information beyond my understanding, should've worded it better.

Ben

Ben -- I greatly appreciate all the work you are doing for us on this effort! I just wanted to make sure all is clear, at least as I understand it. I do believe that the costs reported were identified as estimates ( however, I'm not sure whose estimates, JCL's or Jim's).

Thx,
Al

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 08, 2008, 01:20:17 AM
I think I might have just recruited another potential buyer from the LeftyFrets forum.  He'll probably be visiting here and checking out this thread very soon.  He's very interested.   No.....I don't know if he's a rosewood or hog guy but please make him feel welcome if he joins in.   Watch for "Phil"
If he turns out to be a hog guy    :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar
We got ourselves an order for mahogany as well as rosewood.

You know what ?     THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN !

Tuffythepug  (doing my part for tonewood equality)   :bgrin:

It's kinda funny to quote yourself.  :laughin:

anyhow, this will be good news for es-335.....
I just communicated with my recruit from the Lefty Frets forum.   His preference is Ital / hog.
He'll likely be visiting the forum tonight to begin reading the thread.   I predict it will take him all night to get through it.  :laughin:   If you're reading this, Phil, you are almost to the end !
so...............I guess we are one step closer to the goal of a dual orders of rw & Hog both with Ital. tops
Please give Phil a warm welcome if he shows up won't you ?

Tuffythepug

Thanks for the info (and obvious hard work) Ben, it sounds good to me. Guess I'll just loiter and see what finalizes.

THIS IS FROM THE POST WE HAD LAST WEEK ON COST FROM RICKY

SCALE: The 24" short scale is a $200 upcharge. Jim Holler recommends the Regular Scale ideal for this Forum Git   
TOP: The Italian Spruce is a $125 upcharge.     I believe most committed will be okay with this Italian 125 upcharge, correct?    If we drop Italian, LIFE will get complicated again! (lots of threads to read)
TONEWOOD:   As of last night, RW is the winner.   (LAST FRIDAY)
Depth:   Jim hopes JCL agrees to 4"  ==>   But this is what the Forum Git III is all about... bringing back an out-of-production 1st ed. LS (1997 specs - thanks mary)

Price: We should be easily in the 1000-1200 range as long as we do not... REPEAT ...  DO NOT go crazy on extras!

I just extracted the details re: price/options and basic specs. I hope this helps and not raises more ?s
                                                                         Danny

Quote from: dependan on December 08, 2008, 06:09:03 PM
THIS IS FROM THE POST WE HAD LAST WEEK ON COST FROM RICKY

SCALE: The 24" short scale is a $200 upcharge. Jim Holler recommends the Regular Scale ideal for this Forum Git   
TOP: The Italian Spruce is a $125 upcharge.     I believe most committed will be okay with this Italian 125 upcharge, correct?    If we drop Italian, LIFE will get complicated again! (lots of threads to read)
TONEWOOD:   As of last night, RW is the winner.   (LAST FRIDAY)
Depth:   Jim hopes JCL agrees to 4"  ==>   But this is what the Forum Git III is all about... bringing back an out-of-production 1st ed. LS (1997 specs - thanks mary)

Price: We should be easily in the 1000-1200 range as long as we do not... REPEAT ...  DO NOT go crazy on extras!

I just extracted the details re: price/options and basic specs. I hope this helps and not raises more ?s
                                                                         Danny

You are right -- found the above post on page 23.  It must have been an earlier post where Ricky cautioned us that costs were only estimates -- couldn't quickly find that one, but it no longer matters.

Thanks for the info.

Al

Gentleman--

Count me in if it is Standard scale length and not short scale. I like the idea of Spruce/Rosewood with Maple Binding. I'd like a gloss finish on the body only, but satin is not a deal-breaker for me. I don't mean to open another can of worms, but has anyone expressed interest in a Sunburst finish? What about electronics?

Quote from: 58clipper on December 08, 2008, 06:28:43 PM
Gentleman--

Count me in if it is Standard scale length and not short scale. I like the idea of Spruce/Rosewood with Maple Binding. I'd like a gloss finish on the body only, but satin is not a deal-breaker for me. I don't mean to open another can of worms, but has anyone expressed interest in a Sunburst finish? What about electronics?
I like the maple binding also.  I wouldn't want a sunburst finish.  It would add to the cost and hide the pretty italian spruce.  No electrics for mine, thanks, but I would guess that Jim may be able to add those if you want them.

Tim
2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)

Gentleman--

They're trying to keep down the cost.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Gentleman--

Standard scale length was the decision. I don't think electronics or Sunburst is on the table for consideration at this point. One goal is to keep the price down as much as possible, and all guitars in a set of 10 (or more) have to be the same. Hmmmmm.....if I could find 10 who wanted short scale despite the upcharge ......    :)

Al

Ok, I'll shelf the Sunburst dream. No electronics is not a problem, I was just checking. What is the next step?

58clipper
a few thoughts regarding your post:

Scale length will probably be regular (long) scale rather than short:  cheaper and more popular

Larrivee sunbursts are terriffic but add several hundred dollars to the price.  We have to standardize the spec in order to get it ok'd for production by JCL.   Higher price would be deal-breaker for many of us.

This guitar will probably be a Canadian rather than US made item and they do not do the gloss treatment at the Canadian faclitiy (Nor do they do sunbursts there I believe)

Electronics would be best left for aftermarket purchase so they can be provided and installed by either Jim Holler at Trinity when he does his individual setup for each guitar ( which includes a bone saddle I believe)  or  by yourself after you receive your forum III.   There are too many different preferences in the electronics for it to be a forum III spec.

Maple binding as on standard 03 models would be fine with most of us I think.   rosette has been a topic of much conversation though.   Most would rather not have anything real fancy.

Hope you can see your way to going along with the final spec.    It's gonna be rather special.

Uh Oh,  I see you've already responded.  Here's some info anyway.

Tuffythepug

Hi All, I'm new here @ the Larri forum and heard about this Forum  guitar from Tuffy on the Lefty Forum. So I thought I would drop by and see what all the hype was about. This guitar sounds like it will be a real nice one, I'm really not in the market for another guitar but as I told Tuffy I won't say never. Before I through my hat into the ring I would like to know what the cost would be, if its in the 1000-1200 range I may have to give this some serious thought. I could probably swing either way for Hog or Rosewood. Thanks and I'll keep watching. Tim

Quote from: bluwood on December 08, 2008, 07:21:53 PM
Hi All, I'm new here @ the Larri forum and heard about this Forum  guitar from Tuffy on the Lefty Forum. So I thought I would drop by and see what all the hype was about. This guitar sounds like it will be a real nice one, I'm really not in the market for another guitar but as I told Tuffy I won't say never. Before I through my hat into the ring I would like to know what the cost would be, if its in the 1000-1200 range I may have to give this some serious thought. I could probably swing either way for Hog or Rosewood. Thanks and I'll keep watching. Tim

Tim welcome. We don't know what the final cost is gonna be yet, but I believe this is coming shortly. As for you're not in the market for another guitar... LOL GAS is a very bad thing.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Greetings all,

I don't hang out here to much anymore, but the discussion of another forum guitar brought me back for a look. Depending on how the final specs flush out I could be interested in a RW model.

I bought a Forum II last time from Jason and it was an awesome guitar.  I trading it for a SCGC OM short scale and still miss it, but I could not pass up the Santa Cruz. 

Put me down for the RW model..

:nana_guitar

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

Breaking News

I received a phonecall from Jim Holler with some great news!   The final price & deposit amounts is known. We should know by tomorrow.
He thought we wanted a 12th fret inlay. I told him it's either simply 3 dots or Roman Numeral III on the 12th - so that may very well be doable.

I am pasting Jim's email to me.

Rats.... I'll have to keep you guys in suspense... as I'm using a Mac notebook and I'm not used to the Copy / Paste commands here.

ricky