Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 119   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar discussion  (Read 201701 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 05:34:05 AM »

We are coming to one spec:

LS body
Top:Spruce or Hog
Back: RW or Hog
12fret short scale

Man at this rate we may have 25 on order soon and they may just put everyone else on hold to take care of us     Good night everybody

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 07:01:39 AM »

- LS body (4" depth; no cutaway)
- short scale 12 frets to body ( 1st 2 features - this is the distinctive so far which sets it apart from current production models)
- 03 specs ==> satin
- Top - spruce or hog
- B&S - rw or hog
- 1 3/4 nut
- maple binding
- $2000 or less please... we should aim for min 1200-1500 max if possible given Larri price hikes

Summary of preferences but not dealbreakers:
- Rosewood B&S or a suitably wide-ranged alternative (inexpensive) exotic wood
- No cutaway
- Satin Finish
- Wood Binding
- No excessive bling
- Customized logos and labels sound great (not picky as to what)
- Rosewood (or exotic wood) overlay on headstock

Thanks for the summary specs Adam (limnephildae)

Here's the list:

1. $ Danny deadpan
2. $ Adam limnephildae
3. $ ricky
4. $ Jeff es-335
5. L-fan (if inspired enough will sell current git to buy in)
6. LawDogStrgsAttach (if priced right)
7. Tad
8. Dale
9. Holly Strawingold (wants satin(if glossy - holly strawingold is out), no C-pointy cutaway or she's out)

$ - indicated solid commitment with funds ready

Other Posts - assuming they are in favor of LS
1. Al ARK,
2. bluesman67
3. KenHolden (LS) --- all made comments assuming they are in favor of LS
4. iDavid - hogtop
5. Blue in VT

OO only
1. Tuffy - lefty
2. Dotneck
3. jrdavis (deeper body)

According to Randy, magic number is 10.    Looks like we just about nailed the Model and Specs.

For us to be taken seriously by Jason, Jim or 12Fret and the Factory, there must be 10 Money Down Buyers.

Should we wait until we have AT LEAST 10 solid commitments before we contact potential Dealer to represent us to Larrivee?

Please advise.

Dealer asks Larrivee with Forum Guitar Order.  Then we'll know the PRICE ?   Hopefully, no more than 1200-1500 spread.

ricky
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 08:25:25 AM »

Ricky -- No cut away and no gloss (not being a party pooper), but I'll probably back out. I just got GASed with a 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom (natural finish) over the weekend. For an almost 30 year old guitar, you would think it was new. Definitely spent some time in the back of the closet and then under the bed. There goes the guitar fund... but she's a beaut.

I could probably be talked back into it, but I don't think we should pander to my desires. I say continue with what works for most of the members and keep the momentum up. If we end up with Spruce/RW cutaway gloss, I'll chime back in.

BTW -- I applaud the attitude in which this is happening. This really stands a chance compared to the previous try. I'll be selling my Epiphone and Seagull, so maybe the fund will recover in time.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »

I'm not willing to go more than $1500, sorry. Even now stock 03's are a little under a thousand and will/may be slightly above wit the price increase. No offense but for $2000 I expect a LOT. The Silver Oak L for example goes for about $1200 and it's a 'exotic' wood. We are discussing a stock 03 model, right?

I'm not sure I could justify even going that high for a stock 03, I have to think about it. While I understand it's a special order, i don't think it's so differant that a much higher cost is justified (if we keep it stock) . Let's not lose sight of the fact that it's a nice order for Larrivee as well. I think it's important, as much as we love the guiotars, to still think like a consumer.

I'm not sure I can justify another guitar in the next couple months or so when it's either presents for the family or guitar for me. Regretfully, if it's a matter of pony up now, then I'll have to decline.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 01:27:19 PM »

Don't worry Holly...if we get a dealer and Larrivee commitment it should only take about $100 downpayment with the balance due on delivery which would most likely be six months or so.....

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 01:53:51 PM »

If it's around $1200, I'm in.  As previously said, we are talking about an 03 here and we can all go buy an 03 for less than that.  Granted, this will be a pretty cool 03, but it's still an 03.  Rosette in herringbone would make it look real nice, you don't see too many guitars these days with herringbone, abalone is everywhere.  It would look nice against the satin finish.  If it's significantly more than that, maybe I will order one but I'm not sure.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »

Well, I just got a line on a OO-50, and if that comes through for me in the next few weeks, I will be buying one of those.      It is unexpected, but I am psyched about it!

So at this time I can't jump in and commit $$ for the forum guitar, as I will be working financial miracles just to get the OO.  That being said, I am getting very warm feelings for an LS body guitar since this idea started just a few days ago.  So count me as someone who is very interested, and may be able to swing it if we are talking about a Spring '09 timeframe.  I do however need to get creative about where the $$ is going to come from.

Scott

RS-2
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »

Like it has stated before, I think we, here all are trying to keep the cost down, going with satin, and no bling, no cutaway etc..

Jeffrey

Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 02:58:26 PM »

I'm trying to stay positive about this but the way the last one fell apart I'm not holding my breath....but my fingers are crossed!...

I would prefer OO over LS but both are good.  Spruce top for me...I've got the Hog covered...Short Scale would be aHUGE plus in my book....no cut away....minimal bling....I like herringbone....some binding but I'm not particular....slothead?...cool but not nec.  I care not wether its satin or gloss....for me cheaper is better.

Keep that ball rolling....I think we should go ahead and at least talk with a dealer to see how realistic this is.

Cheers,

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
ark

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »

The specs below are directly from Larrivee and are slightly different ( e.g., depth dimension) than what I had previously found from a non-Larrivee site and posted in the original thread . I have not been able to find an OO spec directly from an older Larrivee site yet -- if someone has that info it would be good to see it to make sure we have accurate info on the relative sizes. As I look at the below, I see very little difference between the OM and LS. They have the same scale, and the  body dimensions differ by just a 1/4" (max) in a few places. I have an OM-05, so what would make a big difference for me , and I suspect for other OM owners if the choice is to go with an LS body,  is a shorter scale, 12 frets to the body, and maybe the slotted headstock  "look".

OM - Orchestra Model
Lower Bout • 15.25”
Upper Bout • 11.75”
Waist • 9.5”
Depth • 4.25”
Overall Length • 40.5”
Scale Length • 25.5”

LS - Larrivee Small Body
Lower Bout • 15”
Upper Bout • 11.875“
Waist • 9.75”
Depth • 4.25”
Overall Length • 40.5”
Scale Length • 25.5”

Al
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »

Not sure if this is correct but found this on a search for specs:

OO

14.25” lower bout
10.25” upper bout
8.25” waist
4.25” body depth
38.5”overall length
standard 25.5” scale
1 Ύ” nut, 12th fret body join

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »

I'm happy to see that we have enough of a crowd on board to get this started, but as has been said, we really need to get some feedback from someone who has ordered custom from Larrivee. We have a few dealers that log-in here from time to time - lets wait until we can hear from one of them.

I would hope that if we are willing to put up a substantial down payment, and the dealer is willing to keep their margin very low, and if we keep the specs semi-standard ( features and appointments that are already in production on another model ) I really hope we can put this together and keep the price much closer to 1000 than 1500.  That seems right for an -03 level of appointment, and at that price point, we should have even more interest, while if we end up over 1500 or (gulp) closer to 2000, I think I would have to think much harder about this, and possibly couldn't afford it.

As a reference, GA has a posted price of about 1250 for a P-05, 1300 for OM-03R, and 1550 for PV-09. Trinity has a couple -03s in Bubbinga with a list of 1800, and Notable has -03 Lacewood listing at 1600. Those are just references, not recommendations - If we are ordering and pre-paying for 10 or more instruments, I would hope for a good discount.

If we can have options, I still would like to know if I could get -

Upgraded tuners with ebony/ivoroid knobs -
Bone nut/saddle/pins ( possible Collosi collaboration?) -
Arch top case
And ( if not too expensive ) a cutaway - for those few songs I know that run up there -

Some of those upgrades may be dealer options, installed and set-up post-factory.

Anyway - Looking forward to the next step -  And a big thanks to those putting some effort into this -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 06:09:35 PM »

The specs below are directly from Larrivee and are slightly different ( e.g., depth dimension) than what I had previously found from a non-Larrivee site and posted in the original thread . I have not been able to find an OO spec directly from an older Larrivee site yet -- if someone has that info it would be good to see it to make sure we have accurate info on the relative sizes. As I look at the below, I see very little difference between the OM and LS. They have the same scale, and the  body dimensions differ by just a 1/4" (max) in a few places. I have an OM-05, so what would make a big difference for me , and I suspect for other OM owners if the choice is to go with an LS body,  is a shorter scale, 12 frets to the body, and maybe the slotted headstock  "look".

OM - Orchestra Model
Lower Bout • 15.25”
Upper Bout • 11.75”
Waist • 9.5”
Depth • 4.25”
Overall Length • 40.5”
Scale Length • 25.5”

LS - Larrivee Small Body
Lower Bout • 15”
Upper Bout • 11.875“
Waist • 9.75”
Depth • 4.25”
Overall Length • 40.5”
Scale Length • 25.5”

Al

Check the link Randy has at the top and then find Tadol's pics of his OM with a LS. That LS is the size we want, not the size specs you have here. Someone posted an older catalog specs that showed the LS being the size of what Tad was showing in those pics. It is only slightly larger than the 00.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 06:44:21 PM »

Man an 00-03 12 fret short scale....sitka or ital over hog sounds like a dream to me!!!!

I'm drooling just thinking about it... drool

What is it about the LS that everyone is so infatuated with?  just curious I don't have either a OO or an LS so....

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »

I'm happy to see that we have enough of a crowd on board to get this started, but as has been said, we really need to get some feedback from someone who has ordered custom from Larrivee. We have a few dealers that log-in here from time to time - lets wait until we can hear from one of them.

I would hope that if we are willing to put up a substantial down payment, and the dealer is willing to keep their margin very low, and if we keep the specs semi-standard ( features and appointments that are already in production on another model ) I really hope we can put this together and keep the price much closer to 1000 than 1500.  That seems right for an -03 level of appointment, and at that price point, we should have even more interest, while if we end up over 1500 or (gulp) closer to 2000, I think I would have to think much harder about this, and possibly couldn't afford it.

Tad

BREAKING NEWS... one interested dealer already PM-ed me this morning
. Since, this is new territory for me, I'm waiting for advice from Randy and other Gold-status Forumites how to proceed.

PRICE POINT... It's becoming clearer that the majority of interested parties would like to hover around the 1000 price point for an O3 guitar.

DEPOSIT AMOUNT... depends on dealer proposal or what Factory requires?

TIMING... Looks like Spring 2009 (lots of time to recover from Christmas spending... lots of time to sell other guitars to finance Forum Guitar)

OPTIONS... we'll take every Freebee we're allowed to get (bone nut & saddle, gloss, cutaway, other variety exotic wood - walnut, maple, silver oak) - these have to wait until we have Dealer, Factory, soildly committed buyers.

QUESTION: Do you think we can special order 2 models LS and OO if there are enough (min 10 for each model)... so that OO & LS buyers in a WIN-WIN outcome?

Need advice how to proceed with communicating with potential dealer... ricky 
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 07:18:36 PM »

Take a deep breath....relax....we have time....it is exciting to see this come together at all...but it has only been a few days.

I would recommend talking with Jim at Trinity...he was on board with the last time we tried this...plus he is a great guy and hangs out here for fun...not to try to sell stuff.  Start with him and see where it goes.  I can't imagine other dealers getting into some kind of bidding war for the option to do this deal....it would be best to find someone who is genuinely intersted and involved around here and go with them...if they are willing....give Jim a call...he's the man!

I think nailing down enough people for one body size will be hard enough....2 different ones is asking alot.  I know a lot of people seem intersted right now but things have a tendency to change when it comes time to put money down on the barrel head.

thats my .02cents

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 07:32:38 PM »

BREAKING NEWS... one interested dealer already PM-ed me this morning. Since, this is new territory for me, I'm waiting for advice from Randy and other Gold-status Forumites how to proceed.

PRICE POINT... It's becoming clearer that the majority of interested parties would like to hover around the 1000 price point for an O3 guitar.

DEPOSIT AMOUNT... depends on dealer proposal or what Factory requires?

TIMING... Looks like Spring 2009 (lots of time to recover from Christmas spending... lots of time to sell other guitars to finance Forum Guitar)

OPTIONS... we'll take every Freebee we're allowed to get (bone nut & saddle, gloss, cutaway, other variety exotic wood - walnut, maple, silver oak) - these have to wait until we have Dealer, Factory, soildly committed buyers.

QUESTION: Do you think we can special order 2 models LS and OO if there are enough (min 10 for each model)... so that OO & LS buyers in a WIN-WIN outcome?

Thanks for all your work!

Price point - good to see it'll hover around the $1000 range!!

Deposit amount - I have no clue..

Timing - Spring 2009 sounds perfect!

Options - Freebee is awesome..!!

Answer to your question..  That is gonna be a tough one to choose for me.. but shouldn't we all agree on one body shape?? perhaps putting a special order for 2 models will increase the price of the guitars??

I would think that Mass quantity = less work = less money spend by us??

I'm not to sure about this, feel free to correct me!

Jeffrey

Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 07:45:02 PM »

What worked the first time, and didn't happen the second time, is someone spearheading the event. Getting opinions and feeling out wants and desires is a good thing. But, at some point (as already stated), too many cooks in the kitchen. Seems like enough consensus may have been reached for someone to appoint the final attributes. I might suggest someone saying, "Here it is". As they say, "Build it, and they will come".

You're not going to please everyone... but out of almost 6500 members, ten should be able to step up. Look at the 12th fret special editions. They went so fast you almost couldn't blink.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
ark

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 08:03:18 PM »

Check the link Randy has at the top and then find Tadol's pics of his OM with a LS. That LS is the size we want, not the size specs you have here. Someone posted an older catalog specs that showed the LS being the size of what Tad was showing in those pics. It is only slightly larger than the 00.
I think you are referring to my earlier "spec" post which I found on a store website -- I'm just not sure how accurate it is. I'm certainly in favor of the smaller "00-like" LS size you are talking about, but should this all work out, I expect we would have to live with whatever LS or OO size Larrivee is tooled up for. It could also turn out that Larrivee would only being willing to do this for a particular size that is convenient for them at this point in time.

Al
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 08:18:23 PM »

Man an 00-03 12 fret short scale....sitka or ital over hog sounds like a dream to me!!!!

I'm drooling just thinking about it... drool

What is it about the LS that everyone is so infatuated with?  just curious I don't have either a OO or an LS so....

Blue

Why is everyone so in love with the 00???? I'm sure the answer to your question is the same as the answer to mine. Truth be told, I'd be happy with either but I am pushing for an LS because of 2 reasons:

1. It is distinctly Larrivee and with this imperative I hope we inspire the Larrivee Family to something special for us that speaks to their unique contribution to guitar building
2. I sort of assumed that the 12th Fret would eventually take up our quest and David Wren has expressed a "soft spot" for the LS body because he's built them under Larrivee's tutelage and he has based some of his own work of the body size.

Inspiration has a way of making good things great. I would rather have a project that excites the dealer and builder rather than simply satisfying my all-time personal preference. It's about ordering off the menu and giving the cook license to create something he thinks is special rather than just another tenderloin.

I'm not sure we're going to get very far with two models but I hope we do for everyone's sake. If the LS fails completely then I'll probably commit to the 00, I just have a strong preference based on my reasons above.

I have a question: If we are concerned about costs due to changes in the molds and existing models, what about the scale length?? While the neck is probably not a big deal to do 12 frets on, wouldn't this place the bridge somewhere different on the LS body? Doesn't that involve changes to the bracing pattern? Would this significantly raise the price? Please excuse my ignorance in this.

Thanks,

Adam

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 119   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: