Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: bluesman67 on December 18, 2008, 08:56:10 AM
If I didn't already have 2 hogtops this one would be all hog.  I will just have to settle for visiting Tuffythepug w/ my IS/RW and playing his hogtop forum III while I'm there.  The rumor (concensus and hope) is that Italian spruce is similar to adirondack.

Bluesman67
when shall I throw out the welcome mat ?      :cheers

Tuttythepug

Quote from: Randy_R on December 18, 2008, 09:05:04 AM
This is not an LSV-anything. The specs voted on and requested were that an old dimension LS body steel streel be created for the forum.

Ahh!  Thanks folks.
Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster

Re: body size

To James regarding body size - look up several pages to about Dec. 16 where I asked the same question.  Ben responded saying the dimensions are based on the ORIGINAL LS - which is smaller than the specs in the current catalog.  I was concerned about the 4" depth also.

Quote from: Chasjax on December 18, 2008, 10:42:12 AM
Re: body size

To James regarding body size - look up several pages to about Dec. 16 where I asked the same question.  Ben responded saying the dimensions are based on the ORIGINAL LS - which is smaller than the specs in the current catalog.  I was concerned about the 4" depth also.

Thanks Chasjax.  That's helpful.
Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster

Heh Denis congrats on the Forum III Hog/IS order
                              http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=24132.msg215115#msg215115
                                                   Wood choice:  Mahogany/Italian Spruce
                                                             Name:  Denis Turbide
     Nice choice, I didn't think you would miss this one. I hope Blue can find a way to get in on this also.

:wave

thanks for the thought Danny...but not going to happen for Blue.... :crying:

looking fwd to living vicariously through ya'll

(really...really) Blue in VT... :angry:
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 18, 2008, 12:17:18 AM
Mike,

Kudos to you!    Have to admire anyone who would go through nearly 60 full screens of posts on this thread alone.  I wonder if you read the first part... entitled "Orphaned Larris - What if...??? "  - which eventually led to this one.

If you sign up for this Forum Git III,     we're trying to make an arrangement for a local pick-up.  Though seemingly far fetched, it does not make sense for the git to travel south of the border when it's already made locally (Vancouver, BC).  Good time to put a deposit too, as our CAD is ever so slowly edging up from sub-80cents to around 83.+ cents against the USD.

Welcome aboard !!!  :donut :coffee :donut :donut2

ricky

BTW,  fingerstyle? woody sound?    I'm sure many here will echo this.... sounds like you need a hog anything...
as you are aware, the 514ce is a hog with spruce, engelmann or cedar top.

Thanks, Ricky. I was wondering whether they'd build the guitars in Vancouver or California. If they're building them here, with all due respect to Jim, it certainly doesn't make environmental or practical sense to ship them all the way to New York state and back again, crossing the border twice and adding shipping/customs hassles to the cost for Canadian punters, and there appears to be at least a few of us.

I've considered a 512ce, I think the shorter depth and the short scale would be great, but of course as a lefty I can't just pop down to the local and try one out, although the Vancouver Long & McQuade had a lefty 312ce a few months ago that sounded pretty good.

Haven't checked out the "Orphaned Larris" thread yet but I certainly will. And I can't claim to have read ALL 60 pages of this thread - I wouldn't have time to PLAY then heh heh.

Cheers, Mike

Vancouver
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Me thinks that people who live in vancouver.. should be able to pick it up in person........

But I guess  I don't make the decision :)
Jeffrey

It would be very convenient to pick them up in Vancouver for some, but Jim H is going to set them up and install a bone saddle, and I think throw in a gift of some kind, maybe.  He is "brokering" the deal, much like Jason @ Notable did on the first forum guitar.

FWIW, I'm leaning towards ordering one with Italian spruce top and rosewood sides/back, and have the pickguard NOT installed.  My gut feeling is that those woods will be killer combination along with the 12-fret design.

I had four hog Larry's and they're gone, so rosewood is next up for me.  Martin does mahogany extremely well on the D-18GE I currently play. 
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on December 18, 2008, 02:28:07 PM
It would be very convenient to pick them up in Vancouver for some, but Jim H is going to set them up and install a bone saddle, and I think throw in a gift of some kind, maybe.  He is "brokering" the deal, much like Jason @ Notable did on the first forum guitar.

FWIW, I'm leaning towards ordering one with Italian spruce top and rosewood sides/back, and have the pickguard NOT installed.  My gut feeling is that those woods will be killer combination along with the 12-fret design.

I had four hog Larry's and they're gone, so rosewood is next up for me.  Martin does mahogany extremely well on the D-18GE I currently play. 
I also was leaning RW/IS but the true hog/IS just seemed too good to pass on. Though the RW/IS may have the best true "LARRIVEE" tone of them all.

Quote from: prof_stack on December 18, 2008, 02:28:07 PM

Have to say that while that is very nice of Jim, it still means that the Canadian made guitars are gonna go over the border to the US and then the Canadians are gonna have to pay tax if not duty to get them.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: lyric_girl on December 18, 2008, 05:19:13 PM
Have to say that while that is very nice of Jim, it still means that the Canadian made guitars are gonna go over the border to the US and then the Canadians are gonna have to pay tax if not duty to get them.

Canadians will only pay (1) the GST, (2) PST except Alberta and (3) Shipping Charges & Customs Brokerage fee - usually totals 160. CAD

Since the guitars are Made in Vancouver...  they are covered under NAFTA, so no extra duty costs.   You may already know this.

While it's sweet to think, I can just go to Cordoba Street in Vancouver, knock on the door and ask for my guitar,  there's still that complication that I must pay the GST
through some store, which will then remit it to the Canadian govt.

There's no getting around Taxes.

But, one has to weigh item #3 above... pay the Shipping & Brokerage fees  TO BENEFIT FROM     (1) Jim's set-up, (2) bone saddle upgrade & (3) surprise gift.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 18, 2008, 05:47:10 PM
Canadians will only pay (1) the GST, (2) PST except Alberta and (3) Shipping Charges & Customs Brokerage fee - usually totals 160. CAD

Since the guitars are Made in Vancouver...  they are covered under NAFTA, so no extra duty costs.   You may already know this.

While it's sweet to think, I can just go to Cordoba Street in Vancouver, knock on the door and ask for my guitar,  there's still that complication that I must pay the GST

But, one has to weigh item #3 above... pay the Shipping & Brokerage fees  TO BENEFIT FROM     (1) Jim's set-up, (2) bone saddle upgrade & (3) surprise gift.

ricky

+ $160 = what has now become an expensive guitar.

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 18, 2008, 05:47:10 PM

Since the guitars are Made in Vancouver...  they are covered under NAFTA, so no extra duty costs.   You may already know this.

But, one has to weigh item #3 above... pay the Shipping & Brokerage fees  TO BENEFIT FROM     (1) Jim's set-up, (2) bone saddle upgrade & (3) surprise gift.

ricky

Taxes alone in BC would be almost $160 based on an approximate value of CA$1300, which will depend on what the exchange rate is the day the paperwork hits the border.

Then you've got shipping and brokerage fees, makes it substantially more expensive.

Hell, I could practically walk over to Cordova St. from my place and pick up the guitar!

Mike

No offense, but if you are already paying let's say $1200 (I can't recall the exact price) another $160 isn't much more and under $1500 not really an expensive guitar. It may be to much for some of us to afford, but it is still very reasonable given the appointments. I guess I just don't see a huge jump from $1200 to $1360.

I don't like paying taxes either, but given they fund a standard of living, including, I beleive, Universal Health Care, I don't get the big deal. I'm not trying to knock you, I'm just offering some perspective because it sounds like you are getting frustrated.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Holly,

You're not factoring in the fact that our dollar is worth .82 at close today. That's where it's getting expensive is all.

Breaking News !!!

Here's a direct quote from Jim Holler's email to me and Randy this morning.  As of late this afternoon, early evening in the East coast, these 2 additional options
for an extra cost are now officially available.

"Larrivee has offered a cut a way $300 and herring bone purfling $150.  they are impressed with the numbers and felt that they could offer more options."

If you wish to have only ONE or BOTH these options:

Please modify your orders in the Order Thread and Randy will modify the locked Forum Git III Specs thread.

If you do NOT want these options, then leave your order AS IS.

REPEAT... these 2 items are OPTIONAL (NOT everyone has to have them...)

These options will give an opportunity for those who HELD BACK (i.e. have not committed until now) because there was no cutaway option originally...
but cutaway & H-bone purfling now available OPTIONS for the above additional costs.

Warmly,

ricky  :nana_guitar

I understand, but it is what it is, you know? If it makes you feel any better we have a President that many of us would have been thrilled to chuck a couple shoes at, no health care (my meds alone cost $250 a month) plus we don't have those little maple sugar people candies. Perhaps the biggest travesty of all.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Sweet!