Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orphaned Larris What If...  (Read 12297 times)
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2008, 01:33:54 AM »

Since many Forum-ites and Larri-loyalists lament the fact that there are orphaned Larri-models... crying (i.e. OOs, OMVs)
as in out-of-production models...

What if enough Forum-ites commission Mr. Jean Claude Larrivee himself & his sons to produce...
a Special Order batch for a discontinued model...

say through 12th Fret, Guitar Adoptions, Notable, Trinity... as distributors
- that just about covers the continent and both sides of the border.

We'll stick to the RW-Spruce and HOG-Spruce variety only.

Please keep your comments brief - (1) specify Larri-MODEL ONLY you wish to order.... (2) Yes or No - do you think this is possible? 

ricky      (IMHO - I think this is possible or at least worth trying... given enough number of us who are loyal Larri-fanatics) 

SERIOUSLY...
I guess this is a survey / vote  ===> so we can have our dream most cherished Larri to own... or you can tell me if I'm on GAS-delusion? wacko
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:01:02 AM »

Great idea!   bowdown

Problem is, my dream larry orphan guitar(s) are probably not anybody elses's dream.  OK, I guess that's my problem.  But for the record, I would like a OO-60 with full sunburst finish with Maple back and sides.  It would look like this, 'cept it would be a OO:

http://guitaradoptions.com/store/product.php?productid=17727&cat=257&page=6

Or, I would love to see a maple-bodied OO in satin finish.  But I digress and am breaking the rules.  Apologies.  I will monitor this thread and see if any consensus can be had, and if I could "get on board" with the final choice(s), theoretical as this exercise probably is (but still worth it for the dreaming itself).

Scott

RS-2
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 02:12:28 AM »

There have been special commissioned "forum guitars" previously. My (fading) memory recalls the last attempt at finding enough people to purchase them spiraled downward fast when no one could agree on size, shape, woods, etc, etc, etc.

It is a doable deal, but you would have to get enough members focused and committed to one guitar. (and collect some money...  )

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 03:00:53 AM »

For the previous Forum Guitar, we discussed and voted for about a year without any firm concensus as to what model with what options we wanted. Jason at Notable Guitars stepped in, took charge, discussed options with Larrivee taking into account the most popular configurations that were within budget (under $1,000), and arrived at the 12fret OM03 with abalone rosette. Larrivee threw in the MOP logo at no upgrade cost. Once the decision was made for us, enough people put their money on the line to make it happen.

Qty 10 seems to be the minimum magic number.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 03:22:48 AM »

I think this is a great idea, but rather than just re-making a guitar that has been discontinued, I think that an approach like happened with the Forum guitar would be nice - build something that uses parts from existing designs, but assembled in a way that isn't normally offered.

I would love to see a something like a specialized LSV - LS body ( slightly larger than 00, slightly smaller than OM ) with a cutaway, 1-3/4 neck, 12 fret to body, short scale, mahogany or sapele back/sides, traditional series fingerboard appointments, abalone rosette(??), satin finish -  Just for laughs, call it an LSV-03. That would be an interesting and unique instrument, and have many of the features I've found on different Larrivee models that I really have liked. And hopefully, without too much bling we can keep the cost down ( hopefully! )

Of course, I would also like a unique headstock inlay or design that would really set it off - I'd pay a bit more for that, but it may be a little over the top 

But thats just my dream - I'd love to hear others - 

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 03:38:26 AM »

OK this may work, cause we all know that $ talk. I am one of the 10 if we stay in "true" LS size. 4'' depth. Not 4 and 5/16 etc. just plain ole 4 at the end pin and we get smaller from there.
     12 fret for sure
      short scale would be nice
      REAL HOG
      even HOG TOP
      slot head
      (modification)extra thin gloss finish ohmy

Oh, forget it... just look at a 00-50MT and make it a little bit bigger. NO BLING, just a great little player.
    One other little item, if this really happens. Lets ask JCL if he would like to surprise us with a different headstock Logo. Not an eagle or something, I mean the Larrivee Logo. I like the one he uses now, but maybe he would like to do something in his own script or whatever. I think that would be pretty cool myself.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 04:13:56 AM »

Just to keep it simple... let's start quoting from this summary:

LSV-03  (4" depth - the Orig first edition LS size) in 03R and 03MT;    1 3/4 nut; short-scale, 12fret-to-body    (no more OM for me, if this comes true)

Tonewood: 
Mahogany b&s Hog Top; (Tad, Danny)        OR                   RW-Spruce   (Ricky,...)   (If 10 magic number to special order: 5 hog, 5 RW - count me in)
Headstock - JCL-designed Forum Special --->>>> 510-Gotoh Tuners (is this bling?)
Binding - Maple
Bracing - if JCL can surprise us to make this LSV-03 Forum LTD  (Adirondack bracing? scalloped? Whatever will make top vibrate MAX)
Finish - very thin Glossy

Ltd Qty 10 minimum ==> 5 hog, 5 RW  ???

Price - Under 1000 USD; (already 1400 CDN) No Bling:

I appeal to the practical sense that have influenced and impressed me about Forum-Larri-owners.

Let's make this a WORKING NO-NONSENSE PLAY-IT-ALL-THE-TIME GO-TO Guitar...   
No Bling... No Frills...    but with understated elegance & an OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD sound. 

Holding off any other plans for next Larri-purchase...

ricky 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 04:25:31 AM »

I think this will be closer to 2K than 1. But you are the driver so let's go and see what's around the corner.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »

I think this will be closer to 2K than 1. But you are the driver so let's go and see what's around the corner.

Prices have gone up considerably since the first Forum Guitar was done at $1,000. I doubt we will ever see that price again for anything except a parlor guitar or ukele.

Perhaps something like the D40's that were done for Long&McQuade, except in an LS size would be in the ball park cost wise, as well as something unusual enough to attract 10+ buyers. Would the use of sapele instead of mahogany be acceptable to potential buyers? What about Silver Oak or some other uncommon wood?

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 02:28:36 PM »

Danny & Randy,

In light of the falling Canadian dollar against the USD - I personally would like to keep the cost around the 03 price range. I guess with Larrivee's 15% price hike, it would be around $1500 USD.

So, IF it's the model LSV-03... with orig dimensions, 4" depth

Tonewood - anything - Sapele or whatever unusual wood as Randy suggests to draw more interest

The rest of the guitar is stock 03 design
(satin finish, maybe just numbered and signed by JCL on the label, ebony buttons max).

The only other orphaned models I'm aware of are the: Jumbos, OO, C-series   florentine cutaways and of course soon to be orphaned - LSV

Warmly,

ricky
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »

That would be pretty nice -  I would be inclined to let the Jean or Matthew provide some feedback on the project. Who knows, they may have something kicking around that is only enough for 10 or so instruments, and they might have some ideas about design/binding/inlay that are different from what we've seen before. Silver Oak, or maybe something really different, myrtle or claro walnut?  If we can get Jean intrigued, who knows what he might be willing to put together!  Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »

Ok as long as we're in "dream mode" here.......  I'll throw this one out for consideration

How about a 00 size with 03 appointments.    Make it just like the 03 series but make it a 12 fretter with a tasteful abalone rosette and a special "forum guitar" label inside signed by Jean.
Make it an all hog or, if price would be better, all sapele.   Improved tuners and some sort of special inlay at the 12th fret....such as a  "JCL" in silver or mop.
Plus, and this is critical, set aside at least three in lefty version (right Bluesman67 and Bhika ?)

I'll take one.

tuffythepug
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 06:54:31 PM »

Just rolling this around in my head...

I would think taking the "most common" road as far as wood configurations would be least expensive. Maybe keep the tops Spruce, but offer 5 hog back and 5 RW back, as rpm60912 first suggested. My preference would be RW, and you could probably count me in. I like the LSV, I like the 12 fret short scale, and for the head stock logo I was thinking about Jeans signature in MOP???  Micro dot fret board with whatever binding and rosette is simple and easy for them. Depends slot head would be cool, but might add cost. We could ask and just submit to the lesser expensive of slot or peg head. I would definately be a gloss fan if possible. Since these would more than likely be made in So Cal, they are better set up for gloss anyway. If we could keep it $1000 to $1200 (allows 20%, 15% standard hike and 5% for good measure).

Basically, a LSV-03 gloss finish short scale with signature logo. Not much bling to keep costs down but gloss and specialized logo to make it custom enough that it truly is a special run.

Wow... this is already much further along than the last time.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »

Ok as long as we're in "dream mode" here.......  I'll throw this one out for consideration

How about a 00 size with 03 appointments.    Make it just like the 03 series but make it a 12 fretter with a tasteful abalone rosette and a special "forum guitar" label inside signed by Jean.
Make it an all hog or, if price would be better, all sapele.   Improved tuners and some sort of special inlay at the 12th fret....such as a  "JCL" in silver or mop.
Plus, and this is critical, set aside at least three in lefty version (right Bluesman67 and Bhika ?)

I'll take one.

tuffythepug
 That sounds good. But what if the inlay on the headstock was "Jean". He used to sign the labels that way awhile back and a unique Logo would be exceptional I think. btw he told me he did not care for the JCL logo on the anniversary git. I asked him why and he said , because it's my name. So he may not care to do anything like this.
               When some of the first labels were made they spelled his name John and he signed those John. I'd like to see a picture of that label if anyone has one.                 Danny

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 07:05:48 PM »

I'm in if it's a LSV or LV even, but I'd require a Satin Finish and no shiny stuff or sea animal pieces.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 07:24:52 PM »

I'm in if it's a LSV or LV even, but I'd require a Satin Finish and no shiny stuff or sea animal pieces.

holly
  Yea, we could just gloss em ourselves if we wanted to. It's got to be the LS size though (PLEASE)

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 07:36:14 PM »

Ok, I will side with you in LS solidarity!

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 08:21:54 PM »

I'll take one.

tuffythepug

This is more what I would lean toward.  OO with 03 appointments, maybe an abalone rosette snuck in there for good measure.  I would love sitka/maple for some true blues spank, but that does not seem to appeal to anyone but me.  Take a look at what JCL did for 12th fret in 2008 - very classy, with upgraded appointments just right (tuners, bridge, etc.).  I'm biased on these, as I bought one.

http://www.12fret.com/new/Larrivee_2008_Twelfth_Fret_Limited_Edition_OM-03R_pg.html

However, the 12th Fret has a very special and long-standing relationship with Larrivee, so they would do stuff for them that they might not do for anybody else.

Scott

RS-2
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »

LS, CS. 00 just in that small body size

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 03:29:50 AM »

I'd like a 00 slothead. 05 appointments. we already did an 03 grade forum guitar...this one should be upgraded a little bit to make it special. choice of hog or rosewood. maybe cocobolo. no sapele.

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: